International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Continuation Trumpís Coup - Part 2 (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348820)

Resume 7th January 2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 13351202)
What about the guy who wore his work badge to it?
https://twitter.com/RebelArt5/status...56434799104001

I laughed and laughed . . . right up to the point when I realized that most of these yucks are going to come out of this unscathed, including the big orange yuck who literally instigated it an hour or so earlier.

Vixen 7th January 2021 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 13351197)

Elizabeth is the new Karen, right?

Mojo 7th January 2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge (Post 13351276)
It's hard to keep up with all the false flags.

So far, it seems that rioters were secretly Antifa infiltrators making the noble patriots look bad (by doing exactly what they've been saying for weeks they were going to do) unless they got shot, in which case they're heroic martyrs.

But with Proud Boys saying they were going to turn up cosplaying as Antifa and Antifa saying they were going to do the same in reverse, I wonder how far this role-swapping goes. Maybe it's worse than you think. Is it possible that absolutely everyone else is a secret false flag agent for the opposite side? Did in fact Trump genuinely obtain a crushing landslide victory at the election except that his role-playing voters all went a bit too method and voted for Biden, and vice versa?

Occamís razor version: Trump is an Antifa infiltrator intent on making him look bad.

CapelDodger 7th January 2021 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13351169)
This has been the Trump's apologist (including the ones who screech "Don't call me a Trump supporter! How dare you!" the loudest) game for a while.

"Trump's going to do this."
"Oh he's not going to do it. Stop being overdramatic and hyperbolic."
"Okay well... I mean he literally just did it."
"No he didn't really do it because (pointless semantic excuse) and me being super hyper-focused on your less than mathematically perfect language while ignoring what Trump is doing is both super important and has no ulterior motive."

"Trump Derangement Syndrome", remember that?

Vixen 7th January 2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge (Post 13351322)
"It's a revolution" she says. In a wounded tone which implies the authorities who maced her fail to grasp this. I mean, you're not supposed to oppose a revolution, are you? The revolution* is the goodies.

*Oh but not, like, communist revolutionaries, or anything icky like that, obvs. They are the baddies. No, just nice revolutionaries. Regular, commonsense people who only want to drag the vice president out of the building and string him up from a lamp post.

The revolution will not be televised - Gil Scot Heron

'there will be no highlights at eleven o'clock'

'The revolution will be live.'

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Mojo 7th January 2021 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapelDodger (Post 13351451)
"Trump Derangement Syndrome", remember that?

Heís still got it, and heís infected his supporters.

DevilsAdvocate 7th January 2021 11:59 AM

Pelosi demands the President be immediately removed under the 25th Amendment or else the House will impeach.

SuburbanTurkey 7th January 2021 12:02 PM

Important thing to keep in mind.

Successful coups often follow failed coups.

yesterday's invasion of the capitol was nothing short of a major symbolic victory for the fascists in our country. While many are assuming there will be meaningful consequences for individuals involved, and the politicians that inspired them, that is a huge assumption. Don't assume that arrests will be coming unless there is a massive public push to do so. Congress has left for recess, so that clearly shows they have no plan to address the event promptly.

Like all the preceding events of fascist violence, the capitol invaders have demonstrated that police will not stop right wingers from engaging in extra-legal violence. They came very close to seizing actual elected members of our government.

This victory is a huge recruitment event for the fascists. More will come to the next riot.

Resume 7th January 2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate (Post 13351467)
Pelosi demands the President be immediately removed under the 25th Amendment or else the House will impeach.

Goddamned ************* right.

crescent 7th January 2021 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey (Post 13351469)
.... While many are assuming there will be meaningful consequences for individuals involved, and the politicians that inspired them, that is a huge assumption.

My impression, based upon DOJ's attempts to prosecute participants in the Bunkerville and Malheur standoffs, is that the people who stormed the capitol are right to be confident that they'll get away with this.

The Department of Justice has repeatedly, sadly, demonstrated that it is incompetent at prosecuting these sorts of things.

Meadmaker 7th January 2021 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate (Post 13351467)

While I feel this is appropriate, I still think it's a stupid thing to do if they aren't sure of the votes to convict.

I hope they have the votes to convict, but I doubt it.

The Great Zaganza 7th January 2021 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meadmaker (Post 13351476)
While I feel this is appropriate, I still think it's a stupid thing to do if they aren't sure of the votes to convict.

it's not stupid.
Dems wanted to remove Trump for the Ukraine Call.
This is much bigger.

varwoche 7th January 2021 12:13 PM

When VP plus half of cabinet enact the 25th, POTUS can appeal and then it goes to Congress. During the appeal, what's the status?

ponderingturtle 7th January 2021 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 13351481)
it's not stupid.
Dems wanted to remove Trump for the Ukraine Call.
This is much bigger.

They had over 100 representatives vote against accepting the election results, after being attacked. I will wait for some evidence of substantive change.

I expect we won't see it moved fast enough to get done before the 20th. I mean how are republicans supposed to know how to vote until they find out how this has impacted how much the base loves trump?

dirtywick 7th January 2021 12:15 PM

Quote:

I donít doubt it now. He literally endangered their lives

dirtywick 7th January 2021 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle (Post 13351489)
They had over 100 representatives vote against accepting the election results, after being attacked. I will wait for some evidence of substantive change.

I expect we won't see it moved fast enough to get done before the 20th. I mean how are republicans supposed to know how to vote until they find out how this has impacted how much the base loves trump?

The house doesnít matter. I think mitch can and is willing to find the votes in the senate after yesterday.

ponderingturtle 7th January 2021 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtywick (Post 13351492)
The house doesnít matter. I think mitch can and is willing to find the votes in the senate after yesterday.

Republicans growing a spine? They don't believe in evolution so will refuse to do so.

Skeptic Ginger 7th January 2021 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny karate (Post 13351280)
Another right wing terrorist safe in his stupidity and privilege confessing to felonies on live television and who probably slept in his own bed last night:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Ugarles/s...85940829556736

They all got into a batch of toxic koolaid.

shemp 7th January 2021 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrison (Post 13351378)
So the officer who shot the insurrectionist dead has been suspended pending investigation, no word of course on his colleagues who practically gave the others a guided tour and posed for photographs. This is probably the one police shooting where being in fear of his life should be a totally acceptable defence and I look forward to this being dropped without charges in the same way other officers across the USA have been, unless of course it has to be an unarmed black person for the police officer to get a pass?

And the ones who did nothing to try to stop them, who posed for selfies, etc., should all be fired and convicted of dereliction of duty or whatever else they can find, and they should be jailed for at least 5 years.

The scum in our police forces who support insurrection need to be rooted out and removed ASAP!

Skeptic Ginger 7th January 2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myriad (Post 13351318)
"It was a joke to them until we got inside and then all of the sudden guns came out."

Funny how that works.

It's all good fun until you're guilty of felony murder.

Notice how he believes he was trying to pull people back. :rolleyes:

shemp 7th January 2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

So ******* what? Do it and put those who vote no on record as traitors!

shemp 7th January 2021 12:27 PM

Quote:

She's right, she shouldn't have been maced. She should have been shot instead!

Skeptic Ginger 7th January 2021 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrison (Post 13351378)
So the officer who shot the insurrectionist dead has been suspended pending investigation, no word of course on his colleagues who practically gave the others a guided tour and posed for photographs. This is probably the one police shooting where being in fear of his life should be a totally acceptable defence and I look forward to this being dropped without charges in the same way other officers across the USA have been, unless of course it has to be an unarmed black person for the police officer to get a pass?

That's standard for any cop involved in any on duty shooting in the US.

dirtywick 7th January 2021 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle (Post 13351496)
Republicans growing a spine? They don't believe in evolution so will refuse to do so.

That the pentagonís acting commander was talking with congress and not the commander in chief should tell us all we need to know about where they stand on Trump. He lost everyone yesterday imo

acbytesla 7th January 2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by varwoche (Post 13351486)
When VP plus half of cabinet enact the 25th, POTUS can appeal and then it goes to Congress. During the appeal, what's the status?

Pence is POTUS. And Congress by a simple filibuster by a single Senator can delay the need for a vote upholding the 25th for 20 days. In fact, they don't even need the filibuster right now. Congress is not in session and doesn't reopen until the inauguration.

But I don't expect that. Pence probably has some hope of continuing his political career. Unfortunately a huge percentage of the GOP today are nutters.

ponderingturtle 7th January 2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtywick (Post 13351516)
That the pentagonís acting commander was talking with congress and not the commander in chief should tell us all we need to know about where they stand on Trump. He lost everyone yesterday imo

They don't get to vote in impeachment though.

Minoosh 7th January 2021 12:33 PM

Quote:

Reporter: Why did you want to get in?
Elizabeth: We're storming the Capitol! It's a revolution!

slight paraphrase probably

Venom 7th January 2021 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey (Post 13351469)
Important thing to keep in mind.

Successful coups often follow failed coups.

yesterday's invasion of the capitol was nothing short of a major symbolic victory for the fascists in our country. While many are assuming there will be meaningful consequences for individuals involved, and the politicians that inspired them, that is a huge assumption. Don't assume that arrests will be coming unless there is a massive public push to do so. Congress has left for recess, so that clearly shows they have no plan to address the event promptly.

Like all the preceding events of fascist violence, the capitol invaders have demonstrated that police will not stop right wingers from engaging in extra-legal violence. They came very close to seizing actual elected members of our government.

This victory is a huge recruitment event for the fascists. More will come to the next riot.

Let them try that same **** at the White House.

Paul2 7th January 2021 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by varwoche (Post 13351486)

IIRC, the VP is the acting President during the appeal. The appeal would have to end after Biden's inauguration.

Someone should check this, though, I have no time right now.l

DevilsAdvocate 7th January 2021 12:34 PM

Pelosi looks shaken up. She is pissed off. She says she has been up all night.

She has demand the resignation of the chief of the Capitol Police and says he will resign.

She demands that Pence and the Cabinet immediately remove the President under the 25th Amendment. If the Cabinet does not approve, she has talked with Grassley and they will immediately establish a commission under the 25th Amendment approve the removal of the President. If Pence does not agree to the removal, the House will immediately impeach.

Pelosi condemns the statements made on the House floor claiming that the terrorists who desecrated the Capitol were Atifa disguised as Trump supporters. She didn't say anything specific, but I think Matt Gaetz will be hearing from the Ethics Committee very soon. I expect she will seek to have him removed from the House.

dirtywick 7th January 2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle (Post 13351525)
They don't get to vote in impeachment though.

Yeah the senators and if necessary VP whoís lives he directly threatened get to do that. Although I donít see how thatís a better prospect for him.

Paul2 7th January 2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resume (Post 13351471)
Goddamned ************* right.

There's a way to fastback an impeachment bill (privileged resolution?). They need to round up 10 votes in the Senate. Might be possible. Sasse, Romney, Murkowski, Collins, Thune . . . . Who else?

Skeptic Ginger 7th January 2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acbytesla (Post 13351521)
Pence is POTUS. And Congress by a simple filibuster by a single Senator can delay the need for a vote upholding the 25th for 20 days. In fact, they don't even need the filibuster right now. Congress is not in session and doesn't reopen until the inauguration.

But I don't expect that. Pence probably has some hope of continuing his political career. Unfortunately a huge percentage of the GOP today are nutters.

IOW the 25th is gutless unless a POTUS is unconscious.

Resume 7th January 2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minoosh (Post 13351530)
Reporter: Why did you want to get in?
Elizabeth: We're storming the Capitol! It's a revolution!

slight paraphrase probably

No, that was it.

Idiots.

jimbob 7th January 2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle (Post 13351496)

Well Mitch has probably made himself into a perceived enemy of Trump as he argued against failing to accept Biden. And some GOP senators will probably not appreciate Trump putting them in harm's way.

They might be thinking it's time to dump him. And using the 25th, pretend his actions are a surprising development and he was perfectly fit for office before this..

Nessie 7th January 2021 12:41 PM

I was very impressed with Biden's speech televised on Sky about an hour ago, especially where he acknowledged that if it had been a different crowd of protestors, the police would have reacted differently.

Minoosh 7th January 2021 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13351544)

The Thorazine should have kicked in by now.

I am almost not joking.

cosmicaug 7th January 2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Atheist (Post 13351294)
As to the world standing, you've got the luxury of a very low base and now you have the wildly-popular Obama presidency Veep in charge, if you take a poll next month you'll find the damage has been completely reversed.

Nope.

Most Americans (who didn't support Trump's clown car) may think that once the Orange One is kicked out everything will be hunky dory because we have absorbed the notion of American exceptionalism (Trump is gone, problem is over). I doubt that the rest of the world sees it that way (not having absorbed American exceptionalism, they will understand Trump wasn't the problem). The USA illusion has now been shattered and we will now be seen as an unreliable partner. If Trumpism was meant, partly, as some reaction against "globalism" it will have succeeded in that sense because association with the USA involving cooperation for more than a few months will be seen as risky (no matter who happens to be in charge at the moment).

Resume 7th January 2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

He has to be held accountable for inciting the riot; the rioters, the insurrectionists, have to be held accountable for breaching the Capitol building. This must happen for the good of our nation, or we just hold up our hands, and shrug our shoulders to mob, and mobster rule.

This is it, right now, right here.

acbytesla 7th January 2021 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13351544)

No, it's not. All it takes is it to be invoked and Congress being unwilling to address it. They can keep it being pushed to a vote in Congress for effectively 25 days. By which time Biden will be POTUS anyway.