International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The post-Trump fascist creep catch-all thread (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350859)

Stacyhs 18th June 2021 03:49 PM

Pence was heckled and called a traitor when he spoke at a Faith & Freedom Coalition event. He ruined his chances of ever being POTUS with the Trumpers because he followed the law.


https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...aitor-n1271332

mgidm86 18th June 2021 04:30 PM

About Juneteenth, I think it's cool, but my sister the Gov Worker does not need yet another paid day off. This is stupid.

A year or so ago they got a week off to grieve for the death of George Bush! Come on man, let's trade it in for another already existing day. There are only so many days per year.

I'll volunteer Columbus Day, and I'm Italian ;) Take it please!!!

Skeptic Ginger 18th June 2021 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 13513101)
Lefties really SUCK at marketing. It's a damn shame.

We agree on something. Yay!

Skeptic Ginger 18th June 2021 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13513159)
Pence was heckled and called a traitor when he spoke at a Faith & Freedom Coalition event. He ruined his chances of ever being POTUS with the Trumpers [any and everyone] because he followed the law [was such a disgusting Trumpy-kiss-ass].

ftfy

He could never have Trump's appeal at any kind of level that would give him enough support to become POTUS and he certainly doesn't have general appeal.

Skeptic Ginger 18th June 2021 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgidm86 (Post 13513174)
About Juneteenth, I think it's cool, but my sister the Gov Worker does not need yet another paid day off. This is stupid.

A year or so ago they got a week off to grieve for the death of George Bush! Come on man, let's trade it in for another already existing day. There are only so many days per year.

I'll volunteer Columbus Day, and I'm Italian ;) Take it please!!!

That's already being shifted to Indigenous People's Day. :D

Stacyhs 18th June 2021 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13513193)
ftfy

He could never have Trump's appeal at any kind of level that would give him enough support to become POTUS and he certainly doesn't have general appeal.

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Skeptic Ginger 18th June 2021 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13513196)
Isn't that an oxymoron?

:confused:

He appeals to all those idiots.

Stacyhs 18th June 2021 05:07 PM

double post deleted

Stacyhs 18th June 2021 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
About Juneteenth, I think it's cool, but my sister the Gov Worker does not need yet another paid day off. This is stupid.

A year or so ago they got a week off to grieve for the death of George Bush! Come on man, let's trade it in for another already existing day. There are only so many days per year.

I'll volunteer Columbus Day, and I'm Italian Take it please!!!
A WEEK? Holy cow...that's just idiotic. These are the holidays that Fed employees get off not including Juneteenth.

New Year's Day
Monday, January 21 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monday, February 18 Washington's Birthday
Monday, May 27 Memorial Day
Thursday, July 4 Independence Day
Monday, September 2 Labor Day
Monday, October 14 Columbus Day
Monday, November 11 Veterans Day
Thursday, November 28 Thanksgiving Day
Wednesday, December 25 Christmas Day

Juneteenth makes it ELEVEN days off not including vacation time, of course.

I think it should be a law that all veterans (unless dishonorably discharged) get Veterans Day off.

Stacyhs 18th June 2021 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13513197)
:confused:

He appeals to all those idiots.

The words "appeal" and "Trump" just don't go together. :D

Stacyhs 18th June 2021 05:36 PM

Uh-oh...Tropical Storm Claudette is going to hit Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Louisiana. God must be punishing those homosexuals again.:rolleyes:

jnelso99 18th June 2021 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13513207)
A WEEK? Holy cow...that's just idiotic. These are the holidays that Fed employees get off not including Juneteenth.

New Year's Day
Monday, January 21 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monday, February 18 Washington's Birthday
Monday, May 27 Memorial Day
Thursday, July 4 Independence Day
Monday, September 2 Labor Day
Monday, October 14 Columbus Day
Monday, November 11 Veterans Day
Thursday, November 28 Thanksgiving Day
Wednesday, December 25 Christmas Day

Juneteenth makes it ELEVEN days off not including vacation time, of course.

I think it should be a law that all veterans (unless dishonorably discharged) get Veterans Day off.

Yeah, America is not known for giving people too much time off.

jnelso99 18th June 2021 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13513221)
Uh-oh...Tropical Storm Claudette is going to hit Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Louisiana. God must be punishing those homosexuals again.:rolleyes:

What do you think the odds are that Biden will threaten to withhold assistance to these Red States if they have a serious emergency because they didn't vote for him? My guess is somewhere between "none" and "none".

Stacyhs 18th June 2021 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnelso99 (Post 13513254)
What do you think the odds are that Biden will threaten to withhold assistance to these Red States if they have a serious emergency because they didn't vote for him? My guess is somewhere between "none" and "none".

:thumbsup: That's because Biden isn't a petty, vengeful, narcissistic sociopath.

Stacyhs 18th June 2021 07:32 PM

I don't know where else to put this:

Tucker Carlson blames CA Gov Newsome for rolling blackouts during a heat crisis.


Quote:

"What? The biggest state in the nation can't keep the power on?" "Yeah, because CA has poured money into renewables as part of its Green New Deal. They're not working."
(Fact: Alaska and Texas are both larger than CA)
The LA Times says:
Quote:


Hogwash. The shift to tapping the sun, wind and waterways for power isn’t the root cause of the state’s rolling blackouts; it was the failure to adequately prepare for an entirely predictable scenario of a prolonged and widespread heat wave that would make power imports less accessible to a grid that was in the middle of a difficult but essential transition to sustainability.

In fact, this was predicted. Nearly a year ago, the California Independent System Operator, the entity that moves power around the state as needed and buys from plants outside the state to ensure an adequate supply, warned of this exact scenario occurring this summer. On Monday, officials at the Independent System Operator blamed public utility regulators for failing to act, and public utility regulators in turn suggested the Independent System Operator was at fault.


But he doesn't blame Gov. Abbott for the grid failure in TX last winter that left millions without power for days in a historic cold snap and snow storm. He blamed the Green New Deal and windmills.
Quote:

"Unbeknownst to most people, the Green New Deal came to Texas, the power grid in the state became totally reliant on windmills. Then it got cold and the windmills broke, because that’s what happens in the Green New Deal," said Carlson during his self-titled primetime show.
Quote:

This is inaccurate on several levels. Texas’ energy supply is not "totally reliant" on wind energy. The central cause of the outage was a massive failure of thermal energy plants combined with a surge in demand for heat and other forms of power. While renewables are in the spirit of the Green New Deal, it hasn’t been enacted in Texas, or anywhere else.

We rate this claim Pants on Fire!
https://www.statesman.com/story/news...gy/4489390001/

mgidm86 18th June 2021 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnelso99 (Post 13513253)
Yeah, America is not known for giving people too much time off.


Problem is taxpayers foot the bill for these gov workers. All of their holidays are paid. The rest of us, not so much. So no, I do not want this list of paid vacations to grow.

ETA:

I read a stat that said 30% of all new jobs were gov jobs in USA, I think it was 2019. Hands are greasy from pizza and I shouldn't be typing so I'll look later ;)

Can't find the info for above so scratch that ^^^^

However, 15% of all jobs are local state or federal jobs, including military. That is a lot of days off to pay for, not to mention pensions, medical benefits, and other paid time off.

As for workers getting paid leave to mourn Bush, here it says it was for one day. That is also too much. Governors also declared this for state workers, not sure how many. I mean really? Link picked at random.

https://www.federaltimes.com/managem...eorge-hw-bush/

Stacyhs 18th June 2021 11:01 PM

One day off makes much more sense. I think that's more likely and mgidm86 is just mistaken.

PhantomWolf 19th June 2021 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13513207)
A WEEK? Holy cow...that's just idiotic. These are the holidays that Fed employees get off not including Juneteenth.

New Year's Day
Monday, January 21 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monday, February 18 Washington's Birthday
Monday, May 27 Memorial Day
Thursday, July 4 Independence Day
Monday, September 2 Labor Day
Monday, October 14 Columbus Day
Monday, November 11 Veterans Day
Thursday, November 28 Thanksgiving Day
Wednesday, December 25 Christmas Day

Juneteenth makes it ELEVEN days off not including vacation time, of course.

I think it should be a law that all veterans (unless dishonorably discharged) get Veterans Day off.

Wow, you have nearly caught up to us, we now have 12.5 public holidays (13 really)

New Year's Day (1 Jan)
Day after New Year's Day (2 Jan)
Waitangi Day (Feb 6)
Easter Friday (Shops are shut)
Easter Sunday (Only those that work on a Sunday get this, but shops are shut)
Easter Monday
Easter Tuesday (Only Schools get this if during Term)
ANZAC Day (Shops are shut half the day, but office workers, etc get the full day off)
Queen's Birthday (First Monday of June)
Labour Day (Fourth Monday of Oct)
Christmas Day (25 Dec. Shops are shut)
Boxing Box (26 Dec)
Provincial Anniversary Days (Varies by Province)

And as of next year, we now have Matariki which is in late June.

PhantomWolf 19th June 2021 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgidm86 (Post 13513300)
Problem is taxpayers foot the bill for these gov workers. All of their holidays are paid. The rest of us, not so much. So no, I do not want this list of paid vacations to grow.

ETA:

I read a stat that said 30% of all new jobs were gov jobs in USA, I think it was 2019. Hands are greasy from pizza and I shouldn't be typing so I'll look later ;)

Can't find the info for above so scratch that ^^^^

However, 15% of all jobs are local state or federal jobs, including military. That is a lot of days off to pay for, not to mention pensions, medical benefits, and other paid time off.

As for workers getting paid leave to mourn Bush, here it says it was for one day. That is also too much. Governors also declared this for state workers, not sure how many. I mean really? Link picked at random.

https://www.federaltimes.com/managem...eorge-hw-bush/

If Government workers are either contracted or on Salaries, how would their having paid time off be a cost to the Taxpayers? They will get paid the same amount regardless.

Belz... 19th June 2021 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13513189)
We agree on something. Yay!

:alc:

Belz... 19th June 2021 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13513207)
A WEEK? Holy cow...that's just idiotic. These are the holidays that Fed employees get off not including Juneteenth.

New Year's Day
Monday, January 21 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monday, February 18 Washington's Birthday
Monday, May 27 Memorial Day
Thursday, July 4 Independence Day
Monday, September 2 Labor Day
Monday, October 14 Columbus Day
Monday, November 11 Veterans Day
Thursday, November 28 Thanksgiving Day
Wednesday, December 25 Christmas Day

Juneteenth makes it ELEVEN days off not including vacation time, of course.

I think it should be a law that all veterans (unless dishonorably discharged) get Veterans Day off.

I work for the Gov. in Canada and I get 13 holidays, plus 10 medical days and 20 vacation days, plus whatever time I can accumulate by doing extra work.

Getting days off helps a lot.

crescent 19th June 2021 11:22 AM

A week off to mourn G.W would be idiotic, which is probably why it didn't happen.

Stacyhs 19th June 2021 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 13513464)
I work for the Gov. in Canada and I get 13 holidays, plus 10 medical days and 20 vacation days, plus whatever time I can accumulate by doing extra work.

Getting days off helps a lot.

The US is one of the worst in the developed world for giving decent vacation (not holiday) time. Sucks big time.

Bob001 19th June 2021 11:08 PM

The threat of authoritarianism is real and growing.
Quote:

It’s worth being clear about this: The GOP has become an authoritarian party pushing an authoritarian policy agenda.

There are many kinds of authoritarian systems, and many ways to become one of them. In the United States, the threat that looms is a slide into what scholars call “competitive authoritarianism”: a system that still holds elections, but under profoundly unfair conditions that systematically favor one side. That process, of one party stacking the deck in its favor over the course of years, isn’t unique — we’ve seen it in countries across the world in recent years, in places as diverse as Hungary, Turkey, and Venezuela.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...mp-competitive

Stacyhs 20th June 2021 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13514081)
The threat of authoritarianism is real and growing.
Quote:

Quote:
It’s worth being clear about this: The GOP has become an authoritarian party pushing an authoritarian policy agenda.

There are many kinds of authoritarian systems, and many ways to become one of them. In the United States, the threat that looms is a slide into what scholars call “competitive authoritarianism”: a system that still holds elections, but under profoundly unfair conditions that systematically favor one side. That process, of one party stacking the deck in its favor over the course of years, isn’t unique — we’ve seen it in countries across the world in recent years, in places as diverse as Hungary, Turkey, and Venezuela.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...mp-competitive

We saw it a few days ago in Iran where all the moderate candidates were "disqualified":
Quote:

Iran’s electoral body disqualified dozens of candidates for the country’s June presidential election, including nearly all moderates and reformists, a step that narrows the spectrum for political participation at a time when the Islamic Republic faces growing domestic discontent.

The culling of candidates near the center of Iranian politics helps smooth a path to victory for Ebrahim Raisi, a leading hard-line cleric who was defeated in the 2017 election. Analysts warn the move risks reducing voter turnout and further diminishing the popularity of a clerical-led system that has suppressed repeated bouts of political and economic unrest.

“It seems the hard-liners’ plan to fully monopolize power in their hands very much overshadows any desire to present elections in the Islamic Republic as proof of the system’s legitimacy,” said Ali Fathollah-Nejad, a scholar affiliated with Freie Universität Berlin.

While reformists and moderates were almost entirely sidelined, Iran’s Guardian Council, which vets election candidates, also disqualified scores of establishment insiders, most notably Ali Larijani, a former parliament speaker for 12 years until 2020 who was expected to be the main contender with Mr. Raisi. Mr. Larijani is a conservative but closer in views to the current moderate government than Mr. Raisi.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/iran-bl...on-11621951952

Craig4 20th June 2021 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13513159)
Pence was heckled and called a traitor when he spoke at a Faith & Freedom Coalition event. He ruined his chances of ever being POTUS with the Trumpers because he followed the law.


https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...aitor-n1271332

Really, even if he became president, he'd have been a one termer and nothing to write home about. His legacy is far better served by being the guy who stood up to Trump and protected democracy. History has plenty of Millard Fillmores.

Belz... 20th June 2021 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13513795)
The US is one of the worst in the developed world for giving decent vacation (not holiday) time. Sucks big time.

Yeah I know. I feel for you guys.

Stacyhs 20th June 2021 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 13514198)
Yeah I know. I feel for you guys.

Why? After all, we're "exceptional" and the BEST COUNTRY IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!!

:sarcasm:

ponderingturtle 21st June 2021 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13512392)
Federal holidays are also a guide for private employers, union contracts, colleges, public schools, etc. There's no reason to think this won't be a wide practice in a few years.

How many people get veterans day off?

ponderingturtle 21st June 2021 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 13512768)
I'm not saying that the holiday is bad. Just the name. Liberty Day!

Like all that BS French crap you see in Canada. Be normal people. And why do people in foreign countries have such silly names? Why can't they have proper normal names?

catsmate 21st June 2021 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 13513464)
I work for the Gov. in Canada and I get 13 holidays, plus 10 medical days and 20 vacation days, plus whatever time I can accumulate by doing extra work.

Getting days off helps a lot.

Here I get:
1. ten public holidays.
2. no real restriction sick leave though >2day absences are unpaid unless a medical cert is supplied.
3. 25 days annual leave, based on my seniority. If not used in the 'leave year' I can carry ten days and be pair for the rest.
4. Overly complicated TOIL rules.

Bob001 21st June 2021 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle (Post 13514994)
How many people get veterans day off?

Most government employees at all levels, not many private workers unless they have union contracts.
https://www.bls.gov/ncs/ebs/veterans-day-2018.htm

Stacyhs 21st June 2021 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle (Post 13514994)
How many people get veterans day off?

Not the majority, that's for sure. My husband, a veteran, has never gotten the day off. I repeat what I said before: All veterans (except the dishonorably discharged) should get Veterans Day off regardless of who employs them.

Skeptic Ginger 21st June 2021 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle (Post 13514994)
How many people get veterans day off?

Federal employees and bank employees do, I believe.

Resume 21st June 2021 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf (Post 13513444)
If Government workers are either contracted or on Salaries, how would their having paid time off be a cost to the Taxpayers? They will get paid the same amount regardless.

It's the getting paid and not working part that gets to certain people. My wife works for the state and gets ten paid holidays plus a flex day. She jokingly says she's hoping for a day off each month to balance things out evenly, which pisses off my crazy catholic trumpist SiL to no end.

Stacyhs 21st June 2021 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resume (Post 13515258)
It's the getting paid and not working part that gets to certain people. My wife works for the state and gets ten paid holidays plus a flex day. She jokingly says she's hoping for a day off each month to balance things out evenly, which pisses off my crazy catholic trumpist SiL to no end.

See? Everything has a silver lining.

Crossbow 22nd June 2021 06:49 AM

Did anyone else hear that there will be some sort of "Donald Trump and Bill O'Reilly Tour" later this year?

Also, one can get tickets for this event right now.

Providing, of course, that one does not mind providing money to two rapists, sexual abusers, liars, thieves worthless POS' like Donald Trump and Bill O'Reilly.

Armitage72 22nd June 2021 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crossbow (Post 13515883)
Did anyone else hear that there will be some sort of "Donald Trump and Bill O'Reilly Tour" later this year?

Also, one can get tickets for this event right now.

Providing, of course, that one does not mind providing money to two rapists, sexual abusers, liars, thieves worthless POS' like Donald Trump and Bill O'Reilly.


It was mentioned in the QAnon conspiracy theory thread.
Questions are being raised by some of his supporters about how he can go on a tour in December when he's going to be reinstated to office in August.

Crossbow 22nd June 2021 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armitage72 (Post 13515905)
It was mentioned in the QAnon conspiracy theory thread.
Questions are being raised by some of his supporters about how he can go on a tour in December when he's going to be reinstated to office in August.

Well, ...

If you can handle a bit more weirdness, then I heard that the account goes something like this:

Since many of the various Trump toadies, and Trump himself, were expecting some sort of horrible-awful-terrible-debilitating-crippling Biden meltdown during the recent G7 Summit, then they fully expecting that Trump would be reinstated in August 2021.

However, since the G7 Summit went so well, then these people have essentially conceded the fact that there is no way in hell that Trump will be reinstated in August 2021.

Furthermore, since it is likely that Trump himself will face indictment for some of the illegal things that he did in New York, then Trump needs to raise money now. Trump was hoping to raise cash from his recent web site, but since this web site did so poorly, it was removed about 29 days after it was first posted.

As a result of these factors, now Trump has decided to go on this fund raising tour instead.

SuburbanTurkey 22nd June 2021 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crossbow (Post 13515915)
Well, ...

If you can handle a bit more weirdness, then I heard that the account goes something like this:

Since many of the various Trump toadies, and Trump himself, were expecting some sort of horrible-awful-terrible-debilitating-crippling Biden meltdown during the recent G7 Summit, then they fully expecting that Trump would be reinstated in August 2021.

However, since the G7 Summit went so well, then these people have essentially conceded the fact that there is no way in hell that Trump will be reinstated in August 2021.

Furthermore, since it is likely that Trump himself will face indictment for some of the illegal things that he did in New York, then Trump needs to raise money now. Trump was hoping to raise cash from his recent web site, but since this web site did so poorly, it was removed about 29 days after it was first posted.

As a result of these factors, now Trump has decided to go on this fund raising tour instead.

I don't think Trump enjoyed being president, but it's pretty obvious he really liked campaigning and doing his little mini-Nuremburg rallies. I imagine he'd be pretty content if he could just endlessly tour and bask in the glow of his CHUD followers while hoovering up some cash.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-20, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.