International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Roe v. Wade overturned -- this is some BS (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359834)

esquel 24th June 2022 10:53 AM

Roe v. Wade overturned -- this is some BS
 
I don't normally post here, but this scares the crap outta me. I went to sleep in the US, and woke up in Gilead. I believe that this is the top of a greased slope, where rights are going to be under fire at an ever quickening pace (unless it involves guns).

Anyone have a good vetted list of places to donate to help people in trouble because their state has forbidden abortion?

Stacyhs 24th June 2022 11:28 AM

Planned Parenthood

Jimbo07 24th June 2022 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquel (Post 13840555)
rights are going to be under fire

What women who protest abortion clinics don't seem to understand, is that their own rights are threatened, not just those of the baby murderersTM.

ETA: When you disenfranchise women, all of society suffers, but I guess we're just doomed to keep having to learn things the hard way, over and over.

acbytesla 24th June 2022 11:52 AM

You gotta love these morons on the court. Gun violence is a problem. So what do they do? Make the problem worse.

The number of homeless is growing. Resources are limited. And what do they do? Make the problem worse.

Stacyhs 24th June 2022 11:57 AM

Many companies are providing abortion travel costs for their employees due to R v W being overturned including Disney, Microsoft, Meta, Zillow, Amazon, Dick's Sporting Good, Levi Strauss, JP Morgan, Starbucks, Apple et al.

:thumbsup:

Warp12 24th June 2022 12:05 PM

..

Segnosaur 24th June 2022 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13840614)
Many companies are providing abortion travel costs for their employees due to R v W being overturned including Disney, Microsoft, Meta, Zillow, Amazon, Dick's Sporting Good, Levi Strauss, JP Morgan, Starbucks, Apple et al.

[emoji106]

Great that they are doing that

Would be even better if they decided (as much as possible) to close any offices or manufacturing plants in any state that limits abortion. Sadly I doubt they will do so.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

Warp12 24th June 2022 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acbytesla (Post 13840609)
The number of homeless is growing. Resources are limited. And what do they do? Make the problem worse.


How so? I think this is just a drop in the bucket, as far as that goes. I don't see the number of homeless as being impacted significantly by this ruling.

Upchurch 24th June 2022 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13840614)
Many companies are providing abortion travel costs for their employees due to R v W being overturned including Disney, Microsoft, Meta, Zillow, Amazon, Dick's Sporting Good, Levi Strauss, JP Morgan, Starbucks, Apple et al.

:thumbsup:

I saw a couple of these, I didn't realize it was quite that wide spread.

Governor Dip****, of my home state of Missouri, is bragging that we are the first state in the nation to outlaw abortions. I'm contemplating whether it is better to fight or flight.

acbytesla 24th June 2022 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp12 (Post 13840624)
How so? I think this is just a drop in the bucket, as far as that goes. I don't see the number of homeless as being impacted significantly by this ruling.

One more homeless person is significant if you're that one. These judges are insensitive selfish POS.

Trebuchet 24th June 2022 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquel (Post 13840555)
I don't normally post here, but this scares the crap outta me. I went to sleep in the US, and woke up in Gilead. I believe that this is the top of a greased slope, where rights are going to be under fire at an ever quickening pace (unless it involves guns).

Anyone have a good vetted list of places to donate to help people in trouble because their state has forbidden abortion?

Just wait. I give it less than a year before the SCROTUS outlaws abortion nationwide, regardless of state laws. The usual idiots are no doubt preparing suits against states where abortion is legal as we speak.
And then there's C. Thomas, who wants to overturn same sex marriage and outlaw birth control as well.

Skeptic Ginger 24th June 2022 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acbytesla (Post 13840609)
You gotta love these morons on the court. Gun violence is a problem. So what do they do? Make the problem worse.

The number of homeless is growing. Resources are limited. And what do they do? Make the problem worse.

Voting rights across the country are being violated. So what do they do? Make the problem worse.

Skeptic Ginger 24th June 2022 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13840694)
The first one...I forget exactly what it was called. But it was getting a lor more traffic then this one.
I don't know what the hell the mods are doing.
I think merging the two Roe threds is an excellent idea, but that is not what is being done here.

You know you could have just read the mod box when the threads were split. Some people were tired of being reminded how they voted in the poll. But mostly it made sense to have a pre-decision and a post decision thread.

Not sure why that bothers you. I'm fine with it.


Never mind. I see you are talking about one thread in US politics and one in social issues/current events.

I'm neutral but probably it should be one or the other.

cosmicaug 24th June 2022 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 13840704)
Just wait. I give it less than a year before the SCROTUS outlaws abortion nationwide, regardless of state laws. The usual idiots are no doubt preparing suits against states where abortion is legal as we speak.
And then there's C. Thomas, who wants to overturn same sex marriage and outlaw birth control as well.

One year seems awfully quick, but it's coming. So we get back to a thread like this one with a poll but on the subject of a federal ban?

dudalb 24th June 2022 01:42 PM

It's already being called "Dark June
because of all the crap that has gone down this month.
And we still have a week left.

acbytesla 24th June 2022 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 13840704)
Just wait. I give it less than a year before the SCROTUS outlaws abortion nationwide, regardless of state laws. The usual idiots are no doubt preparing suits against states where abortion is legal as we speak.
And then there's C. Thomas, who wants to overturn same sex marriage and outlaw birth control as well.

No, they won't do that. The court doesn't have that authority. Roe v Wade established that one had a constitutional right to bodily autonomy that couldn't be violated by State's rights. The Constitution doesn’t mention abortion. For abortion to be made illegal in all 50 states would have to be made by bill.

Upchurch 24th June 2022 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acbytesla (Post 13840721)
No, they won't do that. The court doesn't have that authority. Roe v Wade established that one had a constitutional right to bodily autonomy that couldn't be violated by State's rights. The Constitution doesnít mention abortion. For abortion to be made illegal in all 50 states would have to be made by bill.

Oh, youíre expecting consistency with no hypocrisy?

dudalb 24th June 2022 01:57 PM

A basic law of politics will come into play:when people find out the ballot box if useless as a means of protest, they will find other means..including the cartridge box if necessary.

Donal 24th June 2022 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acbytesla (Post 13840721)
No, they won't do that. The court doesn't have that authority. Roe v Wade established that one had a constitutional right to bodily autonomy that couldn't be violated by State's rights. The Constitution doesnít mention abortion. For abortion to be made illegal in all 50 states would have to be made by bill.

Unless they decide that the 5th Amendment prohibits abortion

Suddenly 24th June 2022 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donal (Post 13840738)
Unless they decide that the 5th Amendment prohibits abortion

I mean, if we get into full rights for the unborn...

14th amendment Equal protection argument that if the state bans the intentional killing of another they can't make an exception for the unborn.

That's sort of stupid, but, well...

cosmicaug 24th June 2022 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly (Post 13840747)
I mean, if we get into full rights for the unborn...

14th amendment Equal protection argument that if the state bans the intentional killing of another they can't make an exception for the unborn.

That's sort of stupid, but, well...

It's not stupid if fetal personhood becomes recognized by the SCOTUS in some way.

cosmicaug 24th June 2022 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donal (Post 13840738)
Unless they decide that the 5th Amendment prohibits abortion

It's a 2nd Amendment issue. The right to own a firearm is being infringed by not being allowed to be born.

acbytesla 24th June 2022 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donal (Post 13840738)
Unless they decide that the 5th Amendment prohibits abortion

How exactly do they do that?

d4m10n 24th June 2022 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13840734)
A basic law of politics will come into play:when people find out the ballot box if useless as a means of protest, they will find other means..including the cartridge box if necessary.

Is that a Scott Roeder quotation?

Sherman Bay 24th June 2022 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 13840704)
J...
And then there's C. Thomas, who wants to overturn same sex marriage and outlaw birth control as well.

I doubt if he wants to overturn Loving.

acbytesla 24th June 2022 03:07 PM

Now, nobody should ever say voting doesn't matter. Imagine how different things would be if Hillary had won in 2016.

dudalb 24th June 2022 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13840768)
Is that a Scott Roeder quotation?

Maybe, unsure of the source.

Skeptic Ginger 24th June 2022 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acbytesla (Post 13840796)
Now, nobody should ever say voting doesn't matter. Imagine how different things would be if Hillary had won in 2016.

And Gore in 2000. I wish this all the time.

Brainster 24th June 2022 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13840734)
A basic law of politics will come into play:when people find out the ballot box if useless as a means of protest, they will find other means..including the cartridge box if necessary.

Roving gangs of feminists, gunning down Republican legislators....

Pacal 24th June 2022 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherman Bay (Post 13840786)
I doubt if he wants to overturn Loving.

Actually Thomas does think Loving was "wrongly decided". The guy is such a piece of work.

Resume 24th June 2022 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacal (Post 13840870)
Actually Thomas does think Loving was "wrongly decided". The guy is such a piece of work.

You spelled **** incorrectly.

autumn1971 24th June 2022 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainster (Post 13840861)
Roving gangs of feminists, gunning down Republican legislators....

Thatís a good start.
Should have begun long ago.

acbytesla 24th June 2022 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13840837)
And Gore in 2000. I wish this all the time.

That's 2 elections that the popular vote went for Democrats and yet resulted in 5 SCOTUS judges. The only Republican appointee that was the result of a properly elected POTUS was Thomas.

newyorkguy 24th June 2022 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acbytesla (Post 13840796)
Now, nobody should ever say voting doesn't matter. Imagine how different things would be if Hillary had won in 2016.

We wouldn't be living a freaking nightmare for one thing. :(

ChrisBFRPKY 24th June 2022 08:19 PM

Roe VS Wade overturned on Biden's watch. Congrats?

Upchurch 24th June 2022 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY (Post 13840954)
Roe VS Wade overturned on Biden's watch. Congrats?

Oh, no. Trump deserves all the blame for this one.

Lurch 24th June 2022 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acbytesla (Post 13840796)
Now, nobody should ever say voting doesn't matter. Imagine how different things would be if Hillary had won in 2016.

Yep. A People gets the Government it deserves.

Craig4 24th June 2022 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY (Post 13840954)
Roe VS Wade overturned on Biden's watch. Congrats?

Look up the School House Rock, "Three Ring Circus" Video. It will explain the the branches of government. I could suggest some other books but a children's cartoon with catchy music seems more your speed.

Leumas 24th June 2022 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upchurch (Post 13840958)
Oh, no. Trump deserves all the blame for this one.

Actually I blame the democrats who have had many opportunities to make it law and failed to do it.

Leumas 24th June 2022 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurch (Post 13840976)
Yep. A People gets the Government it deserves.

Actually ... not in America... they get what the Electoral College and gerrymandering chicanery gives them.

Edit to add: and of course the SCOTUS itself when they decide who is president.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-22, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.