International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   White House Survivor (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321828)

d4m10n 7th December 2018 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worm (Post 12526608)
Rumblings that John Kelly might be next. 'not on speaking terms with Trump'

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/07/p...ump/index.html

Not gonna lie, I'm a bit scared.

LSSBB 7th December 2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 12526689)
Not gonna lie, I'm a bit scared.

I don't know about scared, but I'm pretty sure that it'll be a real wild ride once he's gone.

GlennB 7th December 2018 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSSBB (Post 12526752)
I don't know about scared, but I'm pretty sure that it'll e a real wild ride once he's gone.

It's what he might do when it becomes clear he has to go that worries me.

Giordano 7th December 2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worm (Post 12526608)
Rumblings that John Kelly might be next. 'not on speaking terms with Trump'

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/07/p...ump/index.html

Aesop's Fable "The Farmer and the Viper" where a farmer takes pity on a viper freezing in the snow, picks it up, and warms it in his coat. Once revived the viper fatally bites the farmer:

"Why did you bite me?" asks the farmer before he dies.

"That is what I do and what I am. You knew I was a viper when you picked me up." replies the snake.

jimbob 7th December 2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giordano (Post 12526775)
Aesop's Fable "The Farmer and the Viper" where a farmer takes pity on a viper freezing in the snow, picks it up, and warms it in his coat. Once revived the viper fatally bites the farmer:

"Why did you bite me?" asks the farmer before he dies.

"That is what I do and what I am. You knew I was a viper when you picked me up." replies the snake.

Exactly. Kelly knew what he was getting into.

I guess that he might have acted as a bit of a fig leaf.

Segnosaur 7th December 2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 12526689)
Quote:

Rumblings that John Kelly might be next. 'not on speaking terms with Trump'
Not gonna lie, I'm a bit scared.

Why be scared? Trump has been unhinged pretty much from day 1, and Kelly has been increasingly marginalized. Hard to think of how things could get worse.

Perhaps with Kelly gone, there will be a greater chance of Trump self-destructing, with an occasional republican thinking "he's gone too far".

d4m10n 7th December 2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Segnosaur (Post 12526842)
Why be scared? Trump has been unhinged pretty much from day 1, and Kelly has been increasingly marginalized. Hard to think of how things could get worse.

Kelly may have been preventing any number of nightmare scenarios, most of which involve escalations of existing international conflicts or trade wars. Sending troops to Texas probably won't touch off an international incident, but there are plenty of other places to send American troops.

CORed 7th December 2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Segnosaur (Post 12526842)
Why be scared? Trump has been unhinged pretty much from day 1, and Kelly has been increasingly marginalized. Hard to think of how things could get worse.

Perhaps with Kelly gone, there will be a greater chance of Trump self-destructing, with an occasional republican thinking "he's gone too far".

At this point, I'm starting to wonder if there is anything Trump can do to make Republicans think he's gone too far.

Dr. Keith 7th December 2018 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CORed (Post 12526910)
At this point, I'm starting to wonder if there is anything Trump can do to make Republicans think he's gone too far.

I stopped wondering about that quite some time ago.

The Great Zaganza 7th December 2018 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worm (Post 12526608)
Rumblings that John Kelly might be next. 'not on speaking terms with Trump'

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/07/p...ump/index.html

As long as he still knows how to use the Cattle Prod around the Big Orange One, who cares about if they talk to each other?

Segnosaur 7th December 2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 12526894)
Kelly may have been preventing any number of nightmare scenarios, most of which involve escalations of existing international conflicts or trade wars. Sending troops to Texas probably won't touch off an international incident, but there are plenty of other places to send American troops.

You are of course assuming that Kelly actually has any influence to prevent Trump from doing stupid stuff with the military or the economy.

As I mentioned before, Kelly has largely been sidelined as of late. And many of the foolish things Trump has done (like starting trade wars) were things that Kelly wouldn't have been involved in doing anyways.

In fact, its possible that Kelly is an enabler, someone who gives Trump a figleaf of respect when it is not deserved.

The Great Zaganza 7th December 2018 11:00 AM

deleted

The Great Zaganza 7th December 2018 11:06 AM

Kelly leaving is more a problem for keeping the lights on in the White House than stopping Trump from ordering the country to go to DEFCON 1, just to show China how serious he is about trade: by now, non-flunkies just don't follow Trump's nonsense orders anymore.

dudalb 7th December 2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Segnosaur (Post 12526842)
Why be scared? Trump has been unhinged pretty much from day 1, and Kelly has been increasingly marginalized. Hard to think of how things could get worse.

Perhaps with Kelly gone, there will be a greater chance of Trump self-destructing, with an occasional republican thinking "he's gone too far".

THngs could get a lot worse....as in Trump starts a war for no good reason worse.

jimbob 7th December 2018 01:41 PM

I just hope the Republican Senators develop a sense of personal self-preservation. Trump is going to push at the boundaries until someone stops him, and if the GOP Senate had any self-awareness, they'd see that eventually they'll end up as his enemies.

Kelly might have tried, but everyone who plays ball with a narcissist with power is going to get burned unless he loses power before that.

Stacyhs 7th December 2018 01:44 PM

Does anyone now doubt that Tillerson called Trump a 'moron'? Or that he was wrong in doing so?

If Tillerson is "dumb as a rock' and "lazy as hell", why did Trump appoint him as Sec. of State in the first place? It reflects more on Trump's competency than Tillerson's. If anyone is dumb as a rock and lazy as hell, it's Trump.

Darat 7th December 2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 12527174)
THngs could get a lot worse....as in Trump starts a war for no good reason worse.



I think you will find there are checks and balances in place to prevent that......



And by checks and balances I mean we have to hope Twitter’s terms and conditions don’t allow you to declare war using their service!

tyr_13 7th December 2018 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz (Post 12526482)
Well, he's far from the most unqualified. He at least had a tenure on the NLRB, where his number two was found to have been hiring based on conservative litmus test issues but Acosta knew nothing about that, no really he didn't, he said so.

His singular qualification is that he's Cuban-American and a crumb for the South Florida Viva El Donald brigade. He's also the only Latino in the cabinet.

Sorry, I missed typing out 'Bush' before 'appointee'. I've been missing words and typing in the wrong words a lot lately, which is honestly troubling to me.

At any rate, yes, it turns out he was one of those 'conservative' (GOP style) lapdogs that Bush pushed through with a ton of appointments from 'conservative' law schools.

Giordano 7th December 2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 12527181)
Does anyone now doubt that Tillerson called Trump a 'moron'? Or that he was wrong in doing so?

If Tillerson is "dumb as a rock' and "lazy as hell", why did Trump appoint him as Sec. of State in the first place? It reflects more on Trump's competency than Tillerson's. If anyone is dumb as a rock and lazy as hell, it's Trump.

And how many times has Trump now used this same strategy, over and over again? Ex-cabinet members. Ex-staff. Ex-lawyers...

"Sure I appointed them but I always thought they were an idiot (liar, etc)." Particularly when they finally are willing to tell the truth about him. I just don't get it.

Would any executive in any company or organization be allowed to get away with such crap?

Stacyhs 7th December 2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giordano (Post 12527432)
And how many times has Trump now used this same strategy, over and over again? Ex-cabinet members. Ex-staff. Ex-lawyers...

"Sure I appointed them but I always thought they were an idiot (liar, etc)." Particularly when they finally are willing to tell the truth about him. I just don't get it.

Would any executive in any company or organization be allowed to get away with such crap?

If any executive made as many bad decisions in hiring as Trump, they'd have been fired for incompetency long ago.

Pixel42 8th December 2018 11:43 AM

Kelly to leave by the end of the year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46496756

Minoosh 8th December 2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixel42 (Post 12528123)
Kelly to leave by the end of the year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46496756

I would just love it if Trump made Sean Hannity chief of staff. It wouldn't be good for the country, but it would be interesting to see the meltdown.

However I think Pence's COS is the likely pick.

Trump continues to alienate every halfway competent appointee he's named.

ETA: Also interested in how Trump will go about trashing Kelly's reputation.

The Great Zaganza 8th December 2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 12527334)
I think you will find there are checks and balances in place to prevent that......



And by checks and balances I mean we have to hope Twitter’s terms and conditions don’t allow you to declare war using their service!

... the last line of defense.

fagin 8th December 2018 01:00 PM

The only person remotely qualified to do the job he hired them for was Stormy Daniels.

Stacyhs 8th December 2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fagin (Post 12528192)
The only person remotely qualified to do the job he hired them for was Stormy Daniels.

That is funny. Really. But the nit picker in me needs to point out that Stormy wasn't paid for the sex. She was only paid not to talk about it. But, still...funny.:thumbsup:

dann 8th December 2018 10:11 PM

It's hard to imagine anybody having sex with that despicable guy if they aren't paid. Why do you think she wasn't paid twice, the first time for sex, the second time for signing the NDA?

Minoosh 8th December 2018 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dann (Post 12528534)
It's hard to imagine anybody having sex with that despicable guy if they aren't paid. Why do you think she wasn't paid twice, the first time for sex, the second time for signing the NDA?

I think it was a freebie based on her hope that he'd give her career a boost. But no way to know for sure, obviously.

Skeptic Ginger 8th December 2018 11:29 PM

The more unhinged Trump gets the more likely the Senate is to impeach him. The economy will recover.

The Great Zaganza 8th December 2018 11:38 PM

The economy isn't in recession.
But it will be.

Stacyhs 9th December 2018 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dann (Post 12528534)
It's hard to imagine anybody having sex with that despicable guy if they aren't paid. Why do you think she wasn't paid twice, the first time for sex, the second time for signing the NDA?

She said she wasn't paid for the sex and I take her at her word about it. She's far more credible than Trump. Daniels said that Trump offered to get her on The Apprentice and to help her cheat to stay on longer.

Trebuchet 9th December 2018 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 12528572)
The more unhinged Trump gets the more likely the Senate is to impeach him. The economy will recover.

Nitpick: The House would impeach him, the Senate would then conduct the trial to remove him from office.

Norman Alexander 9th December 2018 04:43 PM

Me, picking Kelly back on May 1. Was I the first?

Beelzebuddy 9th December 2018 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 12529112)

I had him in August of last year, but I also thought he'd quit before Trump could fire him. He didn't seem like the kind of person to suffer fools.

But this means I need a new dead pool pick. Who are you looking at? We're nearly down to just family left, aren't we?

Norman Alexander 9th December 2018 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy (Post 12529321)
I had him in August of last year, but I also thought he'd quit before Trump could fire him. He didn't seem like the kind of person to suffer fools.

But this means I need a new dead pool pick. Who are you looking at? We're nearly down to just family left, aren't we?

:th:

Jared? he's been putting his big fat foot in it lately over Saudi Arabia and making Donny look stupid. That's not acceptable. Just let's hope he isn't Kashoggi'd.

The Great Zaganza 9th December 2018 10:24 PM

So who is going to replace Don Jr. after his indictment?
No doubt Trump is shopping around for a suitable, less problematic son.

Norman Alexander 9th December 2018 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12529332)
So who is going to replace Don Jr. after his indictment?
No doubt Trump is shopping around for a suitable, less problematic son.

[deleted] Replied to wrong post.

Norman Alexander 9th December 2018 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12529332)
So who is going to replace Don Jr. after his indictment?
No doubt Trump is shopping around for a suitable, less problematic son.

He could buy one, I suppose.

dann 10th December 2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 12528615)
She said she wasn't paid for the sex and I take her at her word about it. She's far more credible than Trump. Daniels said that Trump offered to get her on The Apprentice and to help her cheat to stay on longer.


So if I understand you correctly, he cheated on Melania with Stormy Daniels, and he cheated Stormy Daniels by promising her to get her on The Apprentice, which he didn't, and he also promised her to help her cheat, which would have cheated the viewers, who probably wouldn't suspect the show to be rigged.
Is it as simple as that?! :)

Giordano 10th December 2018 10:24 AM

This site is a great summary of the easy come/easy go appointments in the Trump administration. An amazingly long list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...l_appointments

Should we have a fractional point system for this thread in which "survivors" who back out before actually beginning the position (such as Ayers) are scored 0.25, those employed for less than a week are scored 0.50, and those whose appointments last less than a month are scored 0.75? Somehow I think that only those who last more than a month deserve a full 1.0 as a survivor, although I do not view that 1.0 as a positive measure of their character or integrity.

Stacyhs 10th December 2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dann (Post 12529800)
So if I understand you correctly, he cheated on Melania with Stormy Daniels, and he cheated Stormy Daniels by promising her to get her on The Apprentice, which he didn't, and he also promised her to help her cheat, which would have cheated the viewers, who probably wouldn't suspect the show to be rigged.
Is it as simple as that?! :)

Pretty much.

Quote:

Daniels says that Trump said he would get the show's challenges to her ahead of time so that she would have a leg-up on other contestants. The porn actress also says Trump's repeated promises to get her on the show is what kept her taking his calls. Once he admitted that he wouldn't be able to get her on the show, Daniels says she ceased communication.
(Hollywood Reporter)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-20, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.