International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Marjorie Taylor Greene thread. (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347945)

CapelDodger 1st February 2021 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregthehammer (Post 13381176)
Yeah, well, where I go 1 sometimes i also go 2

In my reality (to which I'm entitled) you just quelled that meme.

RecoveringYuppy 1st February 2021 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJM (Post 13381495)
Cynthia McKinney, but that was a long time back.

Also from Georgia.

The Great Zaganza 1st February 2021 11:17 PM

Republicans are just jealous that Marge is getting all the attention.

dudalb 1st February 2021 11:32 PM

Moscow Mitch vs Mad Marge...best match up until the new "King Kong VS Godzilla" opens later this year.

The Don 1st February 2021 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapelDodger (Post 13381405)
And so the battle-lines are drawn between the McConnell Republicans and the Q-Republicans. Not attacking Trump directly, but those associated with his perceived reality.

Are they though ?

This could just be an attempt by McConnell to reassure the "moderate" Republicans that the QAnon nuts aren't going to take over the party the same way that the religious fundamentalists, Tea Party activists and Trumpists have while his failure to call her out specifically and individually is a nod and a wink that she's welcome in the party.

IMO it's window dressing, nothing more. He is however mistaken if he thinks that QAnon sentiment won't continue to thrive in the party and won't start to have a major influence on policy in the future.

dudalb 1st February 2021 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 13381530)
Are they though ?

This could just be an attempt by McConnell to reassure the "moderate" Republicans that the QAnon nuts aren't going to take over the party the same way that the religious fundamentalists, Tea Party activists and Trumpists have while his failure to call her out specifically and individually is a nod and a wink that she's welcome in the party.

IMO it's window dressing, nothing more. He is however mistaken if he thinks that QAnon sentiment won't continue to thrive in the party and won't start to have a major influence on policy in the future.

I got a feeling if Trump had never happened, you would still hate all Republicans.

Lurch 2nd February 2021 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13381534)
I got a feeling if Trump had never happened, you would still hate all Republicans.

All Republicans? There's more than enough to hate among just the pre-T**** Christian Fascists to fill the blackest heart. You know, the hypocrites who would kill a doctor to save a foetus. Who praise God and guns in the same breath. Who believe lucre is the LORD's reward.

Stacyhs 2nd February 2021 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJM (Post 13381495)
Cynthia McKinney, but that was a long time back.

What a wacko. She was also from Georgia like MTG. However, after going full CT crazy about 9/11 in 2001, she also lost the primary challenge in 2002 instead of being embraced by the Dems thereby proving my point. McKinney was re-elected in 2004. "However, contrary to traditional practice, the Democrats did not restore McKinney's seniority. Had she been able to regain her seniority, she would have been a senior Democrat on the International Relations and Armed Services committees, as well as ranking Democrat on an International Relations subcommittee."* Once again, the Dems showed their disapproval of her outlandish conspiracy theories with action.

*Wikipedia

Stacyhs 2nd February 2021 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trustbutverify (Post 13381393)
That's right, you entitled elitist neo-liberal snob. You're still not allowed.

You sweet talker, you! :p

The Don 2nd February 2021 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13381534)

All is stretching it a bit far, but I haven't seen much redeemable in the Republican party since 1980.

John McCain seemed a decent enough person, but seemed reluctant to back up his opinions with actual Senate votes. George H W Bush seemed a honourable individual.

For the last forty years, the GOP have been the party of dismantling the welfare safety net, giving huge tax breaks to rich individuals and huge corporations and increasing wealth and income inequality. They have set about dismantling environmental and workers' protections, reversing the progress made on civil rights and removing and suppressing the right for the wrong sort of people to vote.

First the Republicans courted the religious fundamentalists, and incorporated their views into policy even though it ran against a lot of what "moderate" Republicans wanted. Then they embraced the Tea Party and finally they've thrown open their doors to the white supremacists and conspiracy theorists.

President Trump isn't an outlier in that trajectory.

Susheel 2nd February 2021 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 13381554)
...President Trump isn't an outlier in that trajectory.

Also...to add to your response to dudalb, trying to couch criticism of Republican stance over the past 3 or maybe even four decades as "hating" all Republicans is pretty silly. Trump is a product of the malaise of the GOP that began way back when they began to validate the fringe evangelical and Tea Party voices.
The real danger is in thinking that he is the culmination. To treat Trump's rise in the GOP as an aberration is a grave mistake. If you go into denial and behave as if this was all a bad dream that has passes, rest assured, the next GOP candidate will probably be worse.

Stacyhs 2nd February 2021 01:57 AM

Quote:

All is stretching it a bit far, but I haven't seen much redeemable in the Republican party since 1980.

John McCain seemed a decent enough person, but seemed reluctant to back up his opinions with actual Senate votes. George H W Bush seemed a honourable individual.

For the last forty years, the GOP have been the party of dismantling the welfare safety net, giving huge tax breaks to rich individuals and huge corporations and increasing wealth and income inequality. They have set about dismantling environmental and workers' protections, reversing the progress made on civil rights and removing and suppressing the right for the wrong sort of people to vote.

First the Republicans courted the religious fundamentalists, and incorporated their views into policy even though it ran against a lot of what "moderate" Republicans wanted. Then they embraced the Tea Party and finally they've thrown open their doors to the white supremacists and conspiracy theorists.

President Trump isn't an outlier in that trajectory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susheel (Post 13381579)
Also...to add to your response to dudalb, trying to couch criticism of Republican stance over the past 3 or maybe even four decades as "hating" all Republicans is pretty silly. Trump is a product of the malaise of the GOP that began way back when they began to validate the fringe evangelical and Tea Party voices.
The real danger is in thinking that he is the culmination. To treat Trump's rise in the GOP as an aberration is a grave mistake. If you go into denial and behave as if this was all a bad dream that has passes, rest assured, the next GOP candidate will probably be worse.

I have to agree with both of you. I've watched the GOP go steadily downhill for the last 40 years as it has become more and more extreme starting with its embracing of the Religious Right/ Moral Majority and the Tea Party.

jimbob 2nd February 2021 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey (Post 13381411)
Oh, dear, poor McConnell: those fleas from the dogs he lay with finally got to biting him.

It's OK, the dumpster fire will make it uncomfortable for the fleas.

trustbutverify 2nd February 2021 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapelDodger (Post 13381484)
Somebody must be running a death-pool on those to blame for Trump's defeat. If I were the Jew in the pot I'd want to be a lot further away than Florida, frankly. Time to call in a favour or two from Bibi, and Kushner has raised a lot of money for Israeli settlements. He must like them in principle.

Principle is one thing. Slinging an Uzi across your back and walking point is quite another. The Kushner's are more the deluxe apartment in the Tel Aviv sky types.

ponderingturtle 2nd February 2021 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13379233)
OMG she's Q!

:jaw-dropp

:sdl:

Naa that's just Pizzagate.

trustbutverify 2nd February 2021 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13381543)
What a wacko. She was also from Georgia like MTG. However, after going full CT crazy about 9/11 in 2001, she also lost the primary challenge in 2002 instead of being embraced by the Dems thereby proving my point. McKinney was re-elected in 2004. "However, contrary to traditional practice, the Democrats did not restore McKinney's seniority. Had she been able to regain her seniority, she would have been a senior Democrat on the International Relations and Armed Services committees, as well as ranking Democrat on an International Relations subcommittee."* Once again, the Dems showed their disapproval of her outlandish conspiracy theories with action.

*Wikipedia

Trump fanatic McKinney now "building bridges" with neo-Nazis. Uniting the base with the KKK.

Reformed Offlian 2nd February 2021 10:43 AM

Quote:

It's pretty much been steadily downhill since the onset of the 'Southern Strategy.'

I grew up in a family of what were then known as Rockefeller Republicans, and cast my earliest votes in the belief that they still existed. They've been a **** party in general since at least the 80s.

Andy_Ross 2nd February 2021 11:29 AM

lindsey Graham "I rode down with her going to GA. Had a very pleasant experience. I want to hear from her. Before I want to judge what to do about her I want to know what the facts are. If these are not accurate postings they've been manipulated, I'd like to know that.

Reporter: She’s on video.

Graham "She’ll have to tell me is it accurate, I dunno, I haven’t seen the video, what’s accurate, what’s not. What position do you have today. And if your position is different today why?"

Vid in link
https://twitter.com/alanhe/status/1356665020554366978

smartcooky 2nd February 2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13382159)
lindsey Graham "I rode down with her going to GA. Had a very pleasant experience. I want to hear from her. Before I want to judge what to do about her I want to know what the facts are. If these are not accurate postings they've been manipulated, I'd like to know that.

Graham "She’ll have to tell me is it accurate, I dunno, I haven’t seen the video, what’s accurate, what’s not. What position do you have today. And if your position is different today why?"

Vid in link

"Froot Loop thinks serial nutcase is OK" shocker

trustbutverify 2nd February 2021 03:04 PM

Coward performs cowardice. Nation shocked.

trustbutverify 2nd February 2021 03:09 PM

Quote:

Oh, so you used to want to execute members of congress, but not anymore. Well, that settles that.

turingtest 2nd February 2021 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13382159)

Vid in link

The problem with Greene isn't her position, it's how she got there. "Jewish space lasers" and "staged school shootings" aren't reasonable opinions reasonably reached, and if she suddenly changes those opinions from one day to the next, the only reason would be the realization that they may not be politically expedient. Her position wouldn't actually change, and her methodology for arriving at one would still be the same- the only difference is that she would have learned to conceal the nuttiness for the sake of convenience.

And, BTW, Lindsey- if Greene says "yeah, those videos were manipulated," and you simply buy that for the sake of your party's convenience, then you're being manipulated; and you're buying for your party the methodology that is the problem to begin with.

Stacyhs 2nd February 2021 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turingtest (Post 13382543)
The problem with Greene isn't her position, it's how she got there. "Jewish space lasers" and "staged school shootings" aren't reasonable opinions reasonably reached, and if she suddenly changes those opinions from one day to the next, the only reason would be the realization that they may not be politically expedient. Her position wouldn't actually change, and her methodology for arriving at one would still be the same- the only difference is that she would have learned to conceal the nuttiness for the sake of convenience.

And, BTW, Lindsey- if Greene says "yeah, those videos were manipulated," and you simply buy that for the sake of your party's convenience, then you're being manipulated; and you're buying for your party the methodology that is the problem to begin with.

:thumbsup: Lindsey is 100% about political expediency.

catsmate 2nd February 2021 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13381044)
The Trumpers seem to being going all in on defending Green.
I am seeing "Trump/Green 2024" memes all over the place.

Excellent. Four more years of Biden and Harris then. Now for 2028?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13381166)
Am I still not allowed to say they're stupid?

As far as I am concerned, go right ahead. Anyone who actually believes that crap is indeed stupid. Anyone who pretends to believe in it to entice support from idiots is an immoral opportunist.

DevilsAdvocate 2nd February 2021 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turingtest (Post 13382543)

Lindsey: Do you still believe in Jewish space lasers and staged school shootings?

Marge: Of course not. Those were just some silly ideas from my youth. I now know that it is actually robot vampire child rapists in Satanic ping-pong pizza basements.

Lindsey: Well, OK then. As long as you no longer believe that crazy stuff.

catsmate 2nd February 2021 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurch (Post 13381296)
How do the GOP reconcile this? Senators say an impeachment trial is unconstitutional because T**** is out of office. But the deplorables say he really won.

Cognitive dissonance

Trebuchet 2nd February 2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate (Post 13382603)
Lindsey: Do you still believe in Jewish space lasers and staged school shootings?

Marge: Of course not. Those were just some silly ideas from my youth. I now know that it is actually robot vampire child rapists in Satanic ping-pong pizza basements.

Lindsey: Well, OK then. As long as you no longer believe that crazy stuff.

Can't help wondering what she thinks about gay people.

RecoveringYuppy 2nd February 2021 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 13382656)

Blinken just reversed the Trump policy that embassies can't fly the Pride flag a few days ago. Yesterday, Greene sponsored legislation to stop that, putting the Trump policy in to law. It prevents all other flags such as BLM flags too.

Norman Alexander 2nd February 2021 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy (Post 13382677)
Blinken just reversed the Trump policy that embassies can't fly the Pride flag a few days ago. Yesterday, Greene sponsored legislation to stop that, putting the Trump policy in to law. It prevents all other flags such as BLM flags too.

Will her measure get enacted?

Craig4 2nd February 2021 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 13382728)

In addition to not being able to discern reality, she clearly also can't count.

Regnad Kcin 2nd February 2021 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 13382656)

For that matter, Jewish gay people from space.

Skeptic Ginger 2nd February 2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Nope. Just like the nonsense she filed to have Biden impeached won't go anywhere.

Stacyhs 2nd February 2021 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy (Post 13382677)

Let me see if I can muster up some shock............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............................................nope .

TragicMonkey 2nd February 2021 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin (Post 13382761)
For that matter, Jewish gay people from space.

From a planet orbiting a pink Star of David?

Norman Alexander 2nd February 2021 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig4 (Post 13382739)
In addition to not being able to discern reality, she clearly also can't count.

Thought so. If it wasn't MTG, I'd say it was political theatre. But it is MTG, so it is bat-**** crazy.

Norman Alexander 2nd February 2021 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey (Post 13382802)
From a planet orbiting a pink Star of David?

Slightly Jewish and madly gay?

TragicMonkey 2nd February 2021 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 13382811)
Slightly Jewish and madly gay?

I used to hook up with a naval lieutenant like that.

RecoveringYuppy 2nd February 2021 09:00 PM

Quote:

No. Why do you ask?

BazBear 2nd February 2021 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon (Post 13381104)
WWG1WGA!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregthehammer (Post 13381176)
Yeah, well, where I go 1 sometimes i also go 2

Because of course someone just had to make these.

(They are just Q bathroom rugs, but I'll spoiler it anyway.)

PhantomWolf 2nd February 2021 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BazBear (Post 13382907)
Because of course someone just had to make these.

(They are just Q bathroom rugs, but I'll spoiler it anyway.)

Why do I get the feeling that QAnoners would use those in a non-ironic way?