International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Marjorie Taylor Greene thread. (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347945)

dudalb 4th February 2021 05:16 PM

Some just posted a shot of "Q" from Star Trek with the caption:
"I am angry at stupid Earthlings besmirching my good name".

dudalb 4th February 2021 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom (Post 13385066)
I predict she will keep quiet about all of the issues that gave her problems.

Hope it dies down if she ignores them long enough. She'll continue to press the "cancel culture" button.

i don't. The last thing at earth she wants is to become just another back bencher. She will say and do outrageous things just to keep in the spotlight.

jimbob 4th February 2021 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 13385056)
P of course

Interestingly, as far as I understand, the Kiwi slang for meth is "P"

Which I assume is related to pervitin

turingtest 4th February 2021 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13384948)
Rejection of responsibility: It wasn't MY fault!

That, and I guarantee that she wasn't "allowed" to believe that by the mainstream media she and her fellow-travelers are constantly sneering at. Of course, that particular bit of dissonance will never register, much less ever be acknowledged- "oh! I guess I was wrong to trust CT sites and Twitter/Facebook posts for my information." She'll become an atheist baby-eating Democrat before that happens...

Stacyhs 4th February 2021 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13385081)
i don't. The last thing at earth she wants is to become just another back bencher. She will say and do outrageous things just to keep in the spotlight.

She and Trump are soul mates. I'd say he'd hit on her but she's too old for him at 46.

Bob001 4th February 2021 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13385063)
Romans were incredibly tolerant of other religions. They allowed them to remain as long as they recognized the emperor as a god, too. That was the problem behind their intolerance of Christians: they refused to do so.

They already embrace the Trinity. Couldn't they just add one more?

Stacyhs 4th February 2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13385166)
They already embrace the Trinity. Couldn't they just add one more?

Three's already a crowd. Four's just a damn orgy.

Spektator 4th February 2021 07:58 PM

I predict Marjorie will face some backlash from the conspiranuts and the Q trippers for speaking against the faith.

dirtywick 4th February 2021 08:07 PM

the gop argument with her kind of came down to "we'll deal with our own, dems stay out of it" and then the dems said "ok deal with it then" and then what i imagine was a few hours of begging mccarthy got her to say in the last few hours since she last spoke she realized 9/11 happened like that would smooth everything over

now they have to defend her no matter how outrageous she gets, and she tried pretending to be a normal person pretty briefly and it didn't get her anywhere.

trustbutverify 4th February 2021 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spektator (Post 13385223)
I predict Marjorie will face some backlash from the conspiranuts and the Q trippers for speaking against the faith.

Very few of them, if at all. For the most part, she's a "populist" hero.

grunion 4th February 2021 08:17 PM

Even the most deluded Truther will simply state that “9-11 happened.” She failed to state exactly what happened on 9-11.

smartcooky 4th February 2021 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trustbutverify (Post 13385232)
Very few of them, if at all. For the most part, she's a "populist" hero.

Yup, they will excuse her because she was forced to speak against the faith or face being cancelled by the the ebil "Deep State"TM child-eating Demoncrats

Regnad Kcin 4th February 2021 09:21 PM

A prediction that over the next few days she’ll be cackling incessantly while watching the small donations flowing into her coffers at Scrooge McDuck volumes.

dudalb 4th February 2021 09:50 PM

She is having a Press COnference tommorow. Should be interesting.

The Great Zaganza 4th February 2021 10:58 PM

How long until 45 realizes that in 2024 the GOP is going to nominate MTG instead of DJT ?

Stacyhs 4th February 2021 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion (Post 13385235)
Even the most deluded Truther will simply state that “9-11 happened.” She failed to state exactly what happened on 9-11.

True. She also didn't say that a plane didn't fly into the Pentagon because what she actually said at a conservative conference in 2018 was "there's never any evidence shown for a plane in the Pentagon."

smartcooky 5th February 2021 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13385312)
True. She also didn't say that a plane didn't fly into the Pentagon because what she actually said at a conservative conference in 2018 was "there's never any evidence shown for a plane in the Pentagon."

A distinction without a difference.

Not possible to elaborate without a derail, but there is absolute ****-loads of evidence that it was a plane - only a complete dumb **** CT could ignore it ...

Oh wait, this is MTG we're talking about.. right?

catsmate 5th February 2021 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13384466)
According to news reports on the matter, the Trump faction hurts GOP efforts to take back the House because of the suburban housewife vote.

The vote in the House for Cheney was 145 to 61. The Trump/crazy faction of the GOP is not as big as news coverage makes it seem.

Given that the ballot was secret they would seem to lack moral courage.

catsmate 5th February 2021 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13384783)
Some people just enjoy being Cassandras.

To be fair to The Don (who I always think of as the Time Lord) he lives in Wales and has seen the UK commit economic suicide via Brexit and let a hundred thousand people die from Covid-19. That'd be enough to send anyone into a despair spiral.

catsmate 5th February 2021 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13384841)
Does anyone doubt that McCarthy told her to lie?

Nope. I'm just surprised she went along.

Quote:

Originally Posted by portlandatheist (Post 13384844)
She's backpedaling but she is using completely squishy language while doing so: "9/11 did happen" and "school shootings are real" but what she isn't saying is that a plane did hit the pentagon or that the Parkland school shooting was not a false flag and so on and always plays the role of the victim.

Fairly pathetic. No apologies for the threats and no real acknowledgement or acceptance of her stupidity, let alone anything about changing.

catsmate 5th February 2021 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 13385056)
P of course

Q'ute.....
(Anyone get the reference? :))

Stacyhs 5th February 2021 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by portlandatheist (Post 13384844)
She's backpedaling but she is using completely squishy language while doing so: "9/11 did happen" and "school shootings are real" but what she isn't saying is that a plane did hit the pentagon or that the Parkland school shooting was not a false flag and so on and always plays the role of the victim.

Exactly. She's carefully couching her words to appear like she's taking back her claims when she's actually not.

Nessie 5th February 2021 02:16 AM

It is interesting finding out more about a future POTUS and first white female President.

The Don 5th February 2021 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13384474)
How many of your negative predictions have come true in the last year?

Trump is out.
He left DC.
You haven't had a correct prediction that I recall.

Now you say the Senate will move Q-ward while the vote in the House to support Cheney demonstrates the crazies are not in the majority even in the House.

I see a race between (fake ;) ) news coverage that ironically over-represents the crazies and draws a lot of smaller donors, and the big donors who stay in the shadows and don't favor the QAnons. It's always about the money.

The majority of Republicans voted to keep Greene on her committee assignments - only 11 voted against her. That's hardly a damning indictment of her and her views.

On the contrary, the ovation she got from her GOP colleagues seemed to be a ringing endorsement of her.

The vote to support Liz Cheney was a secret vote, the vote to endorse Greene was a public one. IMO that's a clear indication as to the opinion of the GOP as to the leaning of their support. If you want the support of the GOP rank and file, you cannot be critical of QAnon.

Regarding my predictions regarding President Trump, you're right I was far to pessimistic about his ability to remain in post. OTOH I completely failed to predict the armed attack on the Capitol so maybe it's not safe to say that everything in the garden is rosy.

MRC_Hans 5th February 2021 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shemp (Post 13379562)
But we also need to add the Jewish space lasers.

"Gentlefolk given the plea for unity can’t we strive for unity and agree to say she is a “Snivelling bat-**** crazy cowardly lying hypocritical anti-semitic conspiratard"?

Let me right now suggest a plan B: Once this gets too long (maybe already has, I see there are numerous posts still ahead of me), could we just abbreviate to something like "ultimate tosser"?

Hans

Andy_Ross 5th February 2021 04:17 AM

Quote:

Romans were incredibly tolerant of other religions. They allowed them to remain as long as they recognized the emperor as a god, too. That was the problem behind their intolerance of Christians: they refused to do so.

Until they became Christian yes, the Romans were tolerant and would add or ignore religions from around the Empire. Their pantheon was huge.

Mithraism was incorporated and was very popular with the Legions. It was the contender alongside Christianity to become the single 'official' religion and seems to have had some of it's aspects incorporated anyway.

Andy_Ross 5th February 2021 04:19 AM

Marjorie Taylor Greene tweets

@mtgreenee
Thank you to the real Republicans who stood with me today!
Every single one of you will be remembered.

I'll be holding a press conference tomorrow at 11 AM. See you there.

RT if you still have @realDonaldTrump’s back!

newyorkguy 5th February 2021 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 13385389)
The majority of Republicans voted to keep Greene on her committee assignments - only 11 voted against her. That's hardly a damning indictment of her and her views...

Over 74 million Americans wanted four more years of donald trump. Other than the national race, the Republican Party did pretty well in the 2020 elections. The problem is -- the real problem -- is a sizeable segment of the American public supports these people, shares their views, thinks their way.

If you asked the gentlefolk of the Republican Party -- the average rank-and-file -- is it possible a Jewish space laser started the fires in California? I'm sure many if not most would stare for a second then shrug. "Yes it's probably possible, sure. I don't really know." I think that's the best you'd get from the average GOPer.

Maybe Jordan Klepper should ask them. ;)

Ethan Thane Athen 5th February 2021 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13385442)
Until they became Christian yes, the Romans were tolerant and would add or ignore religions from around the Empire. Their pantheon was huge.

Mithraism was incorporated and was very popular with the Legions. It was the contender alongside Christianity to become the single 'official' religion and seems to have had some of it's aspects incorporated anyway.

Indeed. In fact they had a very enlightened (pragmatic) view on other religions that I wish more modern religions would adopt eg 'Oh you worship the goddess Sulis, what's she the goddess of? Uh-huh, yeah that sounds just like our goddess Minerva, must be the same one, we just have different names for her - I mean we speak a different language after all. Let's just call her Sulis-Minerva and crack on.'

For an atheist, it's bizarre to see the various Abrahmic religions at eachothers throats when they're essentially the same thing - one supreme being that they just have a different name for and some cultural differences in worship (yes I know I'm over-simplifying)...from there it's not even a stretch to compare to various pagan religions: 'What, one god only? Oh he has a son...oh and super-powered angels and saints and stuff. Yeah I guess that's just like ours, after all Zeus, Jupiter, Odin, Dagda etc are the top guy and then the lesser gods are either their kids* or basically like your angels etc. and Pluto, Hel, Surtur etc they're your devils and demons.'

*I mean, it's no stretch to see Jesus with a hammer - he was a carpenter after all!

ETA I believe the Babylonian mythos was er, 'heavily borrowed' from in Christianity as well.

Andy_Ross 5th February 2021 06:14 AM

Guess which isa the real quote.

“I never said any of these things since I have been elected for Congress. These were words of the past, and these things do not represent me.”

“The Terrible Things I Have Said and Done My Entire Life, and Right Up Until a Few Days Ago, Do Not Represent Me As a Person”

CapelDodger 5th February 2021 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy (Post 13385062)
Would that be a re-created or resurgence situation? Lutheran Church seems to have "invented" it based on Luther's "The Jews and their Lies".

Luther set the seed, I agree, but Jews were still defined by religion, not race. The racial aspect came after the development of race theory and nationalism in the later 19th Century. The Vatican actually made the distinction : religious anti-semitism was in, political anti-semitism was out. (That was principally about Austria, which of course was at the heart of the development.)

Quote:

And I don't claim to know enough to say if that would even be the oldest example of institutional widespread antisemitism.
The Spanish Inquisition was earlier, for one.

CapelDodger 5th February 2021 08:17 AM

Quote:

Romans were incredibly tolerant of other religions. They allowed them to remain as long as they recognized the emperor as a god, too.

The Romans were inclusive but intolerant - anyone could become a Roman if they conformed to Roman ways, which included honouring Rome's gods.
Quote:

That was the problem behind their intolerance of Christians: they refused to do so.
The later cults were subject to spasmodic repression just like Christianity (which was just another cult, or set of cults, for the first two centuries). It's notable that when Constantine adopted it as a potential unifying force the first thing he did was organise a council to precisely define it (so quintessentially Roman), and the first result of that council was persecution of Arian Christianity.

Jim_MDP 5th February 2021 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13385078)
Some just posted a shot of "Q" from Star Trek with the caption:
"I am angry at stupid Earthlings besmirching my good name".

He's got a point.

[emoji1]

CapelDodger 5th February 2021 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 13385089)
Interestingly, as far as I understand, the Kiwi slang for meth is "P"

The Influence of Crystal Meth on Early 21st Century US Politics could make a good thesis title one day. It may even earn a pass (with some tweaking).

TheSupermeerkat 5th February 2021 08:28 AM

My prediction: RTG will say something stupid in under a week, and she will be defended by various GOP members with the following:

1. It's not what she said,
2. It's not what she meant,
3. But the Democrats said....

wareyin 5th February 2021 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapelDodger (Post 13385558)
Luther set the seed, I agree, but Jews were still defined by religion, not race. The racial aspect came after the development of race theory and nationalism in the later 19th Century. The Vatican actually made the distinction : religious anti-semitism was in, political anti-semitism was out. (That was principally about Austria, which of course was at the heart of the development.)

The Spanish Inquisition was earlier, for one.

Yeah, but nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Jim_MDP 5th February 2021 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapelDodger (Post 13385589)
The Influence of Crystal Meth on Early 21st Century US Politics could make a good thesis title one day. It may even earn a pass (with some tweaking).

I see what you did there. [emoji1]

Segnosaur 5th February 2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat (Post 13385590)
My prediction: RTG will say something stupid in under a week, and she will be defended by various GOP members with the following:

1. It's not what she said,
2. It's not what she meant,
3. But the Democrats said....

Don't forget "I didn't personally hear what she said so I can't comment on it"

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

grunion 5th February 2021 09:35 AM

I'm wondering how long Kevin McCarthy gets away with claiming ignorance of Qanon ("can't even pronounce it".) I suspect that will now be the official response of the No-Nothing QOP.

Trebuchet 5th February 2021 12:00 PM

She thanked the Dems this morning for removing her from the committees, which would have been a waste of her time. And declared that the GOP belongs to Trump and Trump alone.