International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Marjorie Taylor Greene thread. (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347945)

newyorkguy 6th February 2021 08:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Did anyone post the text of Greene's Facebook post about the wildfires?

Quote:

As there are now over 70 people confirmed dead and over 1,000 missing, the fires in CA are a horrific tragedy. I'm praying for all involved!
I'm posting this in speculation because there are too many coincidences to ignore, and just putting it out there from some research |'ve done stemming from my curiosity over PG&E stocks, which tanked all week then rallied Thursday night after CA official announced they would not let PG&E fail. I find it very interesting that Roger Kimmel on the board of directors of PG&E is also Vice Chairman of Rothschild Inc, international investment banking firm. I also find interesting the long history of financial contributions that PG&E has made to Jerry Brown over the years and millions spent in lobbying. What a coincidence it must be that Gov Brown signed a bill in Sept 2018, protecting PG&E and allowing PG&E to pass off Its cost of fire responsibility to its customers in rate hikes, and through bonds. It also must be just a coincidence that the fires are burning in the same projected areas that the $77 billion Dollar High Speed Rail Project is to be built, which also happens to be Gov Brown's pet project. And what are the odds that Feinstein’s husband, Richard Blum is the contractor to the rail project! Geez with that much money, we could build 3 US southern border walls. Then oddly there are all these people who have said they saw what looked like lasers or blue beams of light causing the fires, and pictures and videos. I don’t know anything about that but I do find it really curious PG&E's partnership with Solaren on space solar generators starting in 2009. They announced the launch into space in March 2018, and maybe even put them up before that. Space solar generators collect the suns energy and then beam it back to Earth to a transmitter to convert to electricity. The idea is clean energy to replace coal and oil. If they are beaming the suns energy back to Earth, I'm sure they wouldn't ever miss a transmitter receiving station right?!! I mean mistakes are never made when anything new is invented. What would that look like anyway? A laser beam or light beam coming down to Earth I guess. Could that cause a fire? Hmmm, I don’t know. I hope not! That wouldn't look so good for PG&E, Rothschild Inc, Solaren or Jerry Brown who sure does seem fond of PG&E. Good thing for Solaren that Michael Peevey is on their board since he is former President of California Public Utilities Commission, California's most powerful energy regulatory agency. Great connections right there!

Also I will say whoever was able to buy that PG&E stock at the bottom before that announcement was made when stocks rallied sure did well on their investment. | wonder how you get privy to that kind of info You must have to know somebody right? Seems like there's a lot of connected people in this crowd. And with these space solar generators, I really hope they have very good aim beaming the suns power down to Earth... But what do I know? I just like to read a lot.
Newsweek link to post
What does she know, she just likes to read a lot.

Stacyhs 6th February 2021 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13386342)
I'll bet you used to get cranky with your students if they wrote "Currant Affairs"

Yeah, I'd beat the crap out them when they'd use "infer" incorrectly, too. Sent more than one to the hospital when they said "I could care less". I won't even mention what happened when they misused "then" and "than". But it wasn't pretty. :D

Norman Alexander 6th February 2021 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkguy (Post 13386555)
Did anyone post the text of Greene's Facebook post about the wildfires?

[insanity snipped]

What does she know, she just likes to read a lot.

Read a lot of what? Horse-dung?

newyorkguy 6th February 2021 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 13386684)
Read a lot of what? Horse-dung?

The sad thing is -- also the dangerous thing -- Ms. Greene won't discuss any of this except with people who already agree with her. It's bad for a private citizen to behave that way but highly undemocratic not to say un-American (if that still means anything) for an elected member of Congress to refuse to explain statements they have made or written. The American people have a right to get answers from elected representatives.

It's the Republican rank-and-file who enable all this. If they don't express some doubts, if they don't question the use of highly inflammatory speech, they're really signaling that they're buying in. And I think it's become pretty obvious that they are. It's not just the congress member who represents the 14th Congressional District in northwestern Georgia. (With a population of over 700,000 residents, part of the district is counted as part of the Chattanooga, Tennessee metropolitan area. District highlighted on map below.)

MRC_Hans 6th February 2021 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13386679)
Yeah, I'd beat the crap out them when they'd use "infer" incorrectly, too. Sent more than one to the hospital when they said "I could care less". I won't even mention what happened when they misused "then" and "than". But it wasn't pretty. :D

Well, I infer that we are roughly on the same side. I suppose I could care less about this, and then it would bother me less than it does now, but no, it ain't pretty.

Hans

Darat 6th February 2021 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkguy (Post 13386727)
…snip… It's not just the congress member who represents the 14th Congressional District in northwestern Georgia. (With a population of over 700,000 residents, part of the district is counted as part of the Chattanooga, Tennessee metropolitan area. District highlighted on map below.)

Looks like an ‘F’ for fail if you ask me.

wareyin 6th February 2021 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 13386782)
Looks like an ‘F’ for fail if you ask me.

She's my Representative, despite my votes* against her. I still see yard signs for Trump 2020 every day, despite his loss. The MTG sings went down election day, iirc. It's probably 25% I agree with her, 73% I support anyone/anything with an "R" by their name, and 5% vote fraud here.

Yes, the math doesn't add up.

No, I can't prove the people I know who brag that they request absentee ballots for their grown children and fill them out straight "R" aren't lying to me. But, it is GA, our SOS is Republican and not interested in any voter fraud unless it benefits a Democrat. There will never be evidence.

*in the primary and in the general

Matthew Ellard 6th February 2021 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13386295)
Sorry, but that's one of my pet peeves and two in one post is beyond my ability to overlook without wanting to tear my hair out. :p

It is fair enough to correct me. I'm Australian and "secession" isn't a word I use often. :)

angrysoba 6th February 2021 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13386295)
https://www.politico.com/story/2012/...inciple-084058

Sorry, but that's one of my pet peeves and two in one post is beyond my ability to overlook without wanting to tear my hair out. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard (Post 13386995)
It is fair enough to correct me. I'm Australian and "secession" isn't a word I use often. :)

I think we can dispense with the words successionist or secessionist, and just call those guys loosers! ;)

newyorkguy 6th February 2021 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 13386973)
...It's probably 25% I agree with her, 73% I support anyone/anything with an "R" by their name, and 5% vote fraud here...

Interesting, but when you write "probably 25% I agree with her," are you referring to yourself or referring to what others would say?

The idea that Greene got 73% of the vote because she had an R by her name overlooks the fact she got 40% in a nine-candidate field in the June GOP primary. The runner-up, John Cowan, got 21%. In the special runoff, she beat Cowan with 57% of the vote.

In looking up the primary results on Ballotpedia, I noticed this under the campaign finance section:
  • Marjorie Taylor Greene, Republican Party - Raised: $3,069,804; Spent $2,709,837; Cash-on-hand $359,967 as of December 31, 2020 (The source is the Federal Election Commission.)
Over three million dollars seems like a lot of money for someone running in a district of 700,000 people. That's double what Cowan raised. Wonder who was financing Greene?

DevilsAdvocate 6th February 2021 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkguy (Post 13387016)
In looking up the primary results on Ballotpedia, I noticed this under the campaign finance section:
  • Marjorie Taylor Greene, Republican Party - Raised: $3,069,804; Spent $2,709,837; Cash-on-hand $359,967 as of December 31, 2020 (The source is the Federal Election Commission.)
Over three million dollars seems like a lot of money for someone running in a district of 700,000 people. That's double what Cowan raised. Wonder who was financing Greene?

You can view information on contributions on OpenSecrets.org.

It says she self-financed about $1 million. I didn't realize she was that wealthy.

Bob001 6th February 2021 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate (Post 13387026)
You can view information on contributions on OpenSecrets.org.

It says she self-financed about $1 million. I didn't realize she was that wealthy.

Her family owns a construction company.

Stacyhs 7th February 2021 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard (Post 13386995)

True. But don't let it happen again or I'll have to buy a ticket on Qantas and hunt you down. :D

smartcooky 7th February 2021 01:34 AM

Quote:

Interesting, but when you write "probably 25% I agree with her," are you referring to yourself or referring to what others would say?

The idea that Greene got 73% of the vote because she had an R by her name overlooks the fact she got 40% in a nine-candidate field in the June GOP primary. The runner-up, John Cowan, got 21%. In the special runoff, she beat Cowan with 57% of the vote.

To be fair, I parsed wareyin's post as saying

25% of her votes were for per personally
73% of her votes were simply because she has an "R" after her name
Some of all that might have come from fraud

KDLarsen 7th February 2021 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13387081)
True. But don't let it happen again or I'll have to buy a ticket on Qantas and hunt you down. :D

I'm almost sad you didn't go for the temptation to write Quantas :D

Stacyhs 7th February 2021 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDLarsen (Post 13387091)
I'm almost sad you didn't go for the temptation to write Quantas :D

Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services

Getting old has to have some advantages besides 'early admission Tuesday' to the grocery store and '10% senior discount at IHOP'. :p

jimbob 7th February 2021 04:39 AM

Quote:

Oh, I thought that was a US American thing.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Squeegee Beckenheim 7th February 2021 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 13387145)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It's literally a red rag to a bull, irregardless.

Andy_Ross 7th February 2021 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim (Post 13387149)
It's literally a red rag to a bull, irregardless.

Well, it's a doggy dog world out there, I think it's just being used as an escape goat.

I AGREE

Matthew Best 7th February 2021 05:32 AM

That post was chalk full of errors.

wareyin 7th February 2021 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13387090)
To be fair, I parsed wareyin's post as saying

25% of her votes were for per personally
73% of her votes were simply because she has an "R" after her name
Some of all that might have come from fraud

Yes, that is what I meant.

wareyin 7th February 2021 05:45 AM

Quote:

I was referring to what her voters would say, and the percentages were of her votes in the general election. Sorry it was worded clumsily.

Jim_MDP 7th February 2021 09:17 AM

Quote:

Ah... memories of parochial school.
Good times. [emoji15]

[emoji1]

Jim_MDP 7th February 2021 09:27 AM

Nm

newyorkguy 7th February 2021 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13387048)
Her family owns a construction company.

This is from a New Yorker article published last October.
Quote:

Her father, Robert Taylor, is the founder of Taylor Commercial, a successful construction company, which he sold to his daughter and her husband in 2002. Since then, according to Greene, the company has “managed a quarter of a billion dollars in construction projects.” (Greene held several leadership roles at the company; she was listed as its C.F.O. from 2007 until 2011, when company filings cease to show her as an officer.) Greene gave roughly a million dollars to her campaign—and also got crucial support from the House Freedom Fund, which has ties to Jim Jordan, one of Trump’s most prominent allies in Congress, and to Mark Meadows, Trump’s chief of staff.

“There’s nothing she can do to lose my vote, unless she murdered a baby or something,” a local Republican official said. “Nothing.”...The conservative commentator Erick Erickson, who lives in central Georgia but ran a campaign in the state’s northwest in the early two-thousands—and who is known for making his own inflammatory remarks—told me the same thing. “She’s bat-**** crazy,” he said, referring to Greene. “But she’s going to Congress.” New Yorker link
A wealthy white woman who inherited a business from her family wants to represent...what? She's got the hypocrite thing down cold, anyway. The New Yorker writer interviewed Jim Chambers, former owner of CrossFit gym where Greene began working as a part time coach in 2011. That's the same year the construction company stopped listing her as an official and the same year Greene became 'born again.'
Quote:

When former gym owner, Jim Chambers, first met Greene [in 2011], he told me, “She had a lot of time and a lot of money,” he said, and also a vague ambition, as he saw it, “to run a gym.” When, eight years later, it looked like she might be headed to Congress, Chambers got on social media and told the world that, back when he knew Greene, she was having “multiple, blatant extramarital affairs in front of all of us.” He added, “I don’t even judge that, until you say the kind of **** she does and claim the Jesus about it.” (Greene, who was baptized at an evangelical church in a suburb just north of Atlanta, in 2011, and speaks frequently about being Christian, has said that she wants to bring “my faith and my family values to Washington.”)
When the New Yorker writer Charles Bethea contacted Greene to ask about the extramarital affairs allegation she texted back, "Let me be clear with you. Writing defamatory articles about me is a very bad choice." She then suggested he contact her attorney.

Bob001 7th February 2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

.... (Greene, who was baptized at an evangelical church in a suburb just north of Atlanta, in 2011, and speaks frequently about being Christian, has said that she wants to bring “my faith and my family values to Washington.”)

I wonder if someone who becomes a born-again as an adult, as opposed to being raise in the religion, is especially prone to mystical, anti-rational thinking and theories across the board.

Babbylonian 7th February 2021 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13387455)
I wonder if someone who becomes a born-again as an adult, as opposed to being raise in the religion, is especially prone to mystical, anti-rational thinking and theories across the board.

Why creationism bears all the hallmarks of a conspiracy theory

Stacyhs 7th February 2021 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 13387145)

I AGREE

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Except for the "erb vs herb" thing coming from the people who insist on putting the stress on the first syllable of every French word they can mangle when it should go on the last. I mean really, Brits, is it so hard to say garAGE instead of GARage or vaLAY instead of VALet? :p

newyorkguy 7th February 2021 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13387455)

Based on the comments I've read from just about everyone who has known Marjorie Taylor Greene or had to deal with her, this is NOT a normal person.

Stacyhs 7th February 2021 01:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:
When former gym owner, Jim Chambers, first met Greene [in 2011], he told me, “She had a lot of time and a lot of money,” he said, and also a vague ambition, as he saw it, “to run a gym.” When, eight years later, it looked like she might be headed to Congress, Chambers got on social media and told the world that, back when he knew Greene, she was having “multiple, blatant extramarital affairs in front of all of us.” He added, “I don’t even judge that, until you say the kind of **** she does and claim the Jesus about it.” (Greene, who was baptized at an evangelical church in a suburb just north of Atlanta, in 2011, and speaks frequently about being Christian, has said that she wants to bring “my faith and my family values to Washington.”)
Gee...I'm just totally shocked by the hypocrisy. Totally. Completely. Left speechless by it. Knocked to my knees by it.

MRC_Hans 7th February 2021 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13387509)
Gee...I'm just totally shocked by the hypocrisy. Totally. Completely. Left speechless by it. Knocked to my knees by it.

Yes, who'd have expected such a thing ... ?

Hans :rolleyes:

kookbreaker 7th February 2021 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans (Post 13387555)
Yes, who'd have expected such a thing ... ?

Hans :rolleyes:

Just following her idol, the great Christian Trump.

trustbutverify 7th February 2021 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13387509)

I wonder if any baby killing was involved.

Gord_in_Toronto 7th February 2021 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trustbutverify (Post 13387653)
I wonder if any baby killing was involved.

Isn't there an expression that It Takes One to Know One?

trustbutverify 7th February 2021 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto (Post 13387656)
Isn't there an expression that It Takes One to Know One?

I believe there was a TV series called "It Takes A Thief".

newyorkguy 7th February 2021 05:35 PM

More on Marj:
In March 2019, Greene happened to visit Capitol Hill on the same day members of Moms Demand Action were there. Greene later posted a Facebook video about her visit in which she derided Moms Demand Action. She's taken it down -- in it she says school shootings are the fault of "the morons in charge who still have schools as gun-free zones" -- but you can see it here.
Quote:

Greene stated of the group: “All these moms that demand action -- moms that demand action: You need to grow some balls. And the problem is you don't have balls. We need dads. Because most dads, unless they're a bunch of beta male, wussy, feminized men, are going to say, ‘Yeah, put guys, put good guys, good women with guns at our kids’ schools and protect our kids and stop these damn school shootings.’ Media Matters link
But you say, hasn't she alleged at least some of the school shootings are hoaxes? Actors playing wounded children and or grieving parents? How can she have it both ways? There's an explanation for that, too.
Quote:

Greene has emerged from the same mold as Donald Trump, starring in her own always-rolling kind of reality show meant to convert attention into influence, vengeance into votes. Link to New Republic
Vengeance into votes but how can anyone take someone like this seriously? Apparently, if you're from a certain demographic, it's easy. For the rest of us? It's scary. :(

newyorkguy 8th February 2021 05:01 AM

It's pure reaction. No thought process. No reflection. No questioning one's opinions. She (they) just react and spout whatever easy answer pops into their hesd.

Problems have simple solutions. The experts don't know what they're talking about. They never get past that. And for the most part they have no need to. They're living the good life, insulated from most of these problems.

wareyin 8th February 2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 13388739)
I tried to get it back on track. This is about Greene, a born-again, a nut-bag, and a total gun-worshipper. How on Earth she got voted into a position of power is amazing to most non-Americans.

I live in her district, and how she got voted into a position of power is amazing to me, as well. That she beat a candidate that unofficially withdrew before the election is understandable, but that she got almost twice the votes as the next highest candidate in a primary field of 9 Republicans really surprised me.

Norman Alexander 8th February 2021 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 13388758)
I live in her district, and how she got voted into a position of power is amazing to me, as well. That she beat a candidate that unofficially withdrew before the election is understandable, but that she got almost twice the votes as the next highest candidate in a primary field of 9 Republicans really surprised me.

Rigged election perhaps...? What if someone actually looked into that.

Darat 9th February 2021 03:57 AM

Mod WarningOff topic posts moved to AAH. The topic of this thread is not guns in schools, gun culture and so on. Any further off-topic posting will result in a suspension.
Responding to this modbox in thread will be off topic Posted By:Darat