International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Marjorie Taylor Greene thread. (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347945)

dudalb 16th January 2021 07:23 PM

In related news Congresswomen's Boebrick;s chief of communications just quit citing her behavoir during the coup as the reason.

Craig4 17th January 2021 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kookbreaker (Post 13361335)
She’s already busted heads with some of them. Is her district safely red? They might decide she is not worth the embarrassment and let her get tossed.

Yeah, she's from a very red district. It's in the northwest corner of the state. Real **** kicker country.

dudalb 17th January 2021 03:08 PM

Taylor Green suspended from twitter for 12 hours, could not find in a seach what exactly she did to trigger this.

Norman Alexander 17th January 2021 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13364478)
Taylor Green suspended from twitter for 12 hours, could not find in a seach what exactly she did to trigger this.

Exist.

slyjoe 17th January 2021 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13364478)

Looks like a video about widespread voter fraud, and a post attacking the GA elections implementation manager about Dominion voting machines.

As an aside, she is also a no-planer.

Norman Alexander 17th January 2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slyjoe (Post 13364494)
Looks like a video about widespread voter fraud, and a post attacking the GA elections implementation manager about Dominion voting machines.

If she is an Area-51 aliens believer then we may have a trifecta. And also it will mean she is not long for that chamber.

By-the-by, what IS the shortest term of office for a member of Congress?

slyjoe 17th January 2021 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 13364496)
If she is an Area-51 aliens believer then we may have a trifecta. And also it will mean she is not long for that chamber.

My guess is negative. As in, a congressman was elected by didn't get sworn in because he died between the election and the start of the new term.

Stacyhs 17th January 2021 05:09 PM

They elect the likes of Taylor Greene, Boebert, Tuberville, and Gohmert and they wonder why we think they're dumb?

smartcooky 17th January 2021 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slyjoe (Post 13364494)

Well colour me surprised!

MarkCorrigan 17th January 2021 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slyjoe (Post 13364580)
My guess is negative. As in, a congressman was elected by didn't get sworn in because he died between the election and the start of the new term.

I'm pretty sure someone got voted in AFTER they died.

Yup, I was right.
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...ll-got-elected

ETA: Although technically only 1 was voted to the national stage.

DevilsAdvocate 17th January 2021 07:10 PM

Quote:

Of those who were actually seated, wouldn't you know that the record goes to the first woman Senator, Rebecca Latimer Felton of Georgia in 1922. She was seated for one day.

The Governor was planning on running as a candidate for Senate in a future election. Shortly before the election that year, the sitting Senator unexpectedly died. The Governor wanted to appoint someone who would not be a challenge to his candidacy. He appointed Felton, a suffragette, to gain support of women, who could now vote, after having spoke out against women's suffrage. It didn't work and he lost the election to Walter F. George.

Felton had not been seated because Congress had not been in session. When the Senate reconvened, instead of taking his seat, George allowed Felton to be sworn in for a day as a symbolic gesture.

Shortest for an elected Member of Congress was Homer V. M. Miller, also of Georgia, in 1871. He was elected in 1868, but Georgia did not meet the qualifications to restore Federal representation after the Civil War until 1871. By the time he was eligible to be seated, there were only 7 days left of his term.

Norman Alexander 17th January 2021 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate (Post 13364677)
Of those who were actually seated, wouldn't you know that the record goes to the first woman Senator, Rebecca Latimer Felton of Georgia in 1922. She was seated for one day.

The Governor was planning on running as a candidate for Senate in a future election. Shortly before the election that year, the sitting Senator unexpectedly died. The Governor wanted to appoint someone who would not be a challenge to his candidacy. He appointed Felton, a suffragette, to gain support of women, who could now vote, after having spoke out against women's suffrage. It didn't work and he lost the election to Walter F. George.

Felton had not been seated because Congress had not been in session. When the Senate reconvened, instead of taking his seat, George allowed Felton to be sworn in for a day as a symbolic gesture.

Shortest for an elected Member of Congress was Homer V. M. Miller, also of Georgia, in 1871. He was elected in 1868, but Georgia did not meet the qualifications to restore Federal representation after the Civil War until 1871. By the time he was eligible to be seated, there were only 7 days left of his term.

Putting the "E" in ISF.

smartcooky 17th January 2021 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate (Post 13364677)

Wasn't one of the Apollo astronauts elected to office, but died before he was seated?

ETA: just found him - Jack Swigert

DevilsAdvocate 17th January 2021 07:30 PM

Miller is actually the shortest term elected Senator. The shortest term elected Member of Congress was Representative Effingham Lawrence of Louisiana in 1875. One day.

This one gets weird.

He ran in the 1872 election. That election was won by Jacob Hale Sypher. Lawrence later contested that election in court. That didn't get resolved until about two years later. By that time, he had lost the 1874 election. But the courts ruled that he had won the 1872 election. As a result of that court order and the congressional calendar, he was able to be seated for his 1873-1875 term. But there was only one day left.

ETA: Lawrence missed 2 of the 5 votes that day. He half-assed his one day in Congress.

dudalb 17th January 2021 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13364691)
Wasn't one of the Apollo astronauts elected to office, but died before he was seated?

ETA: just found him - Jack Swigert

Swigert was one of the Apollo 13 Astronauts...played by Kevin Bacon in the movie.

dudalb 19th January 2021 11:29 AM

Hillbilly Barbie promoted bat crap crazy Parkland "false flag" theory.

Quote:

ep. Marjorie Taylor Greene spread conspiracy that Parkland school shooting was ‘false flag’
By Colby Itkowitz

In 2018, after the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, then a right-wing online commentator, spread the noxious conspiracy theory that the massacre was a “false flag” event intended to take away people’s guns.

The comments, unearthed by Media Matters, are the latest in a long history of Greene repeating toxic, untrue claims by far-right extremists on social media.

After the Parkland shooting, which killed 17 people, Greene shared a story on Facebook about former Broward County sheriff’s deputy Scot Peterson — who was fired over his response to the shooting — receiving a retirement pension. In the comments, someone wrote, “It’s called a pay off to keep his mouth shut since it was a false flag planned shooting.” Greene replied: “Exactly.”

Media Matters also uncovered separate comments from 2018 in which Greene lied that Democrats, specifically House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.), rooted for school shootings to justify stricter gun laws.

“This war on our second amendment is going to continue and must be fought. I am told that Nancy Pelosi tells Hillary Clinton several times a month that ‘we need another school shooting’ in order to persuade the public to want strict gun control,” Greene said.

Greene, elected in November, has also trafficked in the QAnon conspiracy theory, as well as other lies popular among the far right.

Greene’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the Media Matters report.

Stacyhs 19th January 2021 05:19 PM

I'd bet this idiot thinks there's a "war on Christmas", too.

Norman Alexander 19th January 2021 05:57 PM

She's isn't so much stepping in stinky farmyard manure herself so much as smearing it on all her GOP "friends" as well. If she doesn't learn to keep her mouth shut at inopportune times, her more worldly-wise party representatives are going to "arrange" for her to have a scandal and get dismissed somehow.

Skeptic Ginger 19th January 2021 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 13367085)
She's isn't so much stepping in stinky farmyard manure herself so much as smearing it on all her GOP "friends" as well. If she doesn't learn to keep her mouth shut at inopportune times, her more worldly-wise party representatives are going to "arrange" for her to have a scandal and get dismissed somehow.

Speaking of putting the E in ISF: Evidence this has ever happened before?

Norman Alexander 19th January 2021 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13367086)
Speaking of putting the E in ISF: Evidence this has ever happened before?

There's been any number of "scandals" befall Representatives who have had to resign as a result.

Skeptic Ginger 19th January 2021 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 13367203)
There's been any number of "scandals" befall Representatives who have had to resign as a result.

Yes but you implied her colleagues would 'make it happen'. That's a different animal.

Norman Alexander 19th January 2021 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13367266)
Yes but you implied her colleagues would 'make it happen'. That's a different animal.

You are implying that I have inside information?? Eh, no.

I'm suggesting that her colleagues will not be particularly forthcoming in defending her, and may even be instrumental in helping her overboard. She isn't helping herself very much, and I'm not seeing a great mass of defending socials from her party comrades.

The Don 20th January 2021 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 13367085)

Greene now represents the views of a sizeable minority, perhaps the majority, of GOP voters so there is little appetite for getting rid of her.

In light of the last four years, I find it difficult to imagine the kind of scandal that would cause a GOP representative to resign or be dismissed. What used to be considered grifting or fraud is now de rigeur.

Skeptic Ginger 20th January 2021 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 13367272)
You are implying that I have inside information?? Eh, no.

I'm suggesting that her colleagues will not be particularly forthcoming in defending her, and may even be instrumental in helping her overboard. She isn't helping herself very much, and I'm not seeing a great mass of defending socials from her party comrades.

Look, just own your ******* sentence, all right? You misspoke, it's not what you meant, whatever. But don't act like you never said this:
Quote:

If she doesn't learn to keep her mouth shut at inopportune times, her more worldly-wise party representatives are going to "arrange" for her to have a scandal and get dismissed somehow.

Bob001 20th January 2021 02:10 AM

Have we noted that she thinks the Marjorie Stoneman Douglas school massacre was a false-flag operation?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/qa...out&li=BBnb7Kz

TheSupermeerkat 20th January 2021 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13367414)
Have we noted that she thinks the Marjorie Stoneman Douglas school massacre was a false-flag operation?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/qa...out&li=BBnb7Kz

Yeah, which comes as no surprise. I'm expecting something involving teh joos sooner rather than later.

Regnad Kcin 21st January 2021 07:23 PM

Well, she’s gone and done it.

I suppose the mocking and derision she is inviting will be a small price to pay in exchange for the rubes paying her back a thousand fold in cold, hard cash.

smartcooky 21st January 2021 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin (Post 13369856)
Well, she’s gone and done it.

I suppose the mocking and derision she is inviting will be a small price to pay in exchange for the rubes paying her back a thousand fold in cold, hard cash.

She is a certifiable loony!

Stacyhs 21st January 2021 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13369870)

But lets not call her stupid.

Venom 21st January 2021 08:04 PM

Wow how did this delusional bitch get elected?

I never thought someone with such conspiracist street cred could get elected, but probably despite it. Doesn't seem to be doing anything worthwhile to uncover the world-shaking conspiracies she believes are real though. At least Donald Trump wasted tons of tax payer and donor money on a few of his conspiracy theories.

Stacyhs 21st January 2021 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom (Post 13369877)

I never thought someone with such conspiracist street cred could get elected, but probably despite it. Doesn't seem to be doing anything worthwhile to uncover the world-shaking conspiracies she believes are real though. At least Donald Trump wasted tons of tax payer and donor money on a few of his conspiracy theories.

We're talking rural Georgia. Nuff said.

dudalb 21st January 2021 08:18 PM

Quote:

Never been to the rural South ,have you?

dudalb 21st January 2021 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13369870)

And from the US House of Representives, another exciting game of "Spot The Loony"...

Norman Alexander 21st January 2021 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13367406)
Look, just own your ******* sentence, all right? You misspoke, it's not what you meant, whatever. But don't act like you never said this:

Touchy or what. :rolleyes:

I didn't misspeak. You read it wrong. Stop thinking of it like an American gangster story and it makes sense.

There, we can both play this game.

Norman Alexander 21st January 2021 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 13367389)
Greene now represents the views of a sizeable minority, perhaps the majority, of GOP voters so there is little appetite for getting rid of her.

In light of the last four years, I find it difficult to imagine the kind of scandal that would cause a GOP representative to resign or be dismissed. What used to be considered grifting or fraud is now de rigeur.

I take your point. After Trump (and how good is it to say that!), the scale and/or rankness of scandal would have to be exceptionally gross to sway some fellow Republicans.

Shadowdweller 22nd January 2021 03:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13369881)
We're talking rural Georgia. Nuff said.

Running unopposed after her Democratic rival fell afoul of divorce and residency requirements didn't hurt either.

catsmate 22nd January 2021 03:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by slyjoe (Post 13364580)

Excluding those who were deceased, and thus (surprisingly) unable to technically hold office the record is one day (Effingham Lawrence). That incident is complicated and involves a contested election. More recently Kwanza Hall served for 31 days.

smartcooky 22nd January 2021 11:23 AM

Not only does she promote the CT that the Parkland shooting was a false flag, she thinks Sandy Hook was fake as well, and she's being called on it by survivors and the parents of victims of both shootings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...gn=wp_national
The Parkland chapter of March for Our Lives called Greene a “coward.”

“The shooting at our school was real. Real kids died and our community is still grieving today. You should be ashamed of yourself and resign from congress,” the organization tweeted. “Conspiracy theorists don’t deserve a seat in the people’s house.”

David Hogg, the activist and co-founder of March for Our Lives, vowed to organize against Greene if she did not apologize for the comments.

“I have one message for @RepMTG,” tweeted Hogg, a Parkland survivor. “Apologize Now or continue to spread the conspiracies and we will be sure to make the next two years of your life not only your last in Congress but a living hell as well.”
This young man has the ear of some pretty powerful people as well as the mainstream media, and he's good at organizing effective protest campaigns. The pressure could soon be coming on this QNut to get out of the house.

dudalb 22nd January 2021 01:39 PM

Not wanting to be left behind in the stupid contest. Boebrick has intorudced a measure repealing Biden's Mask Mandate.
The Republican war on science continues.

Stacyhs 22nd January 2021 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller (Post 13370095)
Running unopposed after her Democratic rival fell afoul of divorce and residency requirements didn't hurt either.

Her Dem opponent didn't stand a chance of winning as that district is a deeply red district. The fact that MT-G could win the primary against Cowan, a neurosurgeon who was just as much a Trumper and Bible thumper as any "true Patriot" could want tells you something.

Cowan campaign website statement:

“We need a representative in Washington with the backbone to stand up to deranged Democrats and weak Republicans. In Congress, I’ll fight beside President Donald J. Trump to protect our values and end the liberal assault on our God-given rights.”