International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Continuation The Trump Presidency: Part 25 (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346437)

Stacyhs 23rd September 2020 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides (Post 13234629)
Historian KC Johnson tweeted, "'It's hard to imagine a figure less qualified (or appropriate) to launch this sort of initiative than Trump." Elsewhere he offered a critique of the 1619 project. He and others have pointed to a lengthy rebuttal of this project at the World Socialist Web Site, which interviewed a number of distinguished historians. More recently the WSWS wrote, "The Times’ “disappearing,” with a few secret keystrokes, of its central argument, without any explanation or announcement, is a stunning act of intellectual dishonesty and outright fraud."

I have little doubt that Trump's preferred telling of our history would be sanitized and Bowdlerized. It is not that actual American history lies in between him and the 1619 project. I prefer to think of the truth as being the third point in an isosceles triangle.

Interesting article, Chris. I enjoyed reading it.

Norman Alexander 23rd September 2020 11:43 PM

I have the strongest impression that Trump is just making this one giant piss-take. He is what we would call here a ****-stirrer. Someone who revels in needling and provoking people simply for the enjoyment it gives him making other people being uncomfortable and annoyed and outright angry. It's the massive dick move of someone who has no skills, nothing to offer, no care to engage, and is just the attention-seeking behaviour of a pre-teen lout.

I would REALLY like to see the last week or two of the election process have all the media without exception suddenly go dark on Trump. Nothing mentioned at all. Not a word, not a picture. It would drive him (even further) insane.

Ladewig 23rd September 2020 11:57 PM

I think it would be hilarious if someone said to DJT, “Sir, this would be a perfect time for you to lead us in a prayer. Unless, of course, you think someone else could do it better.”

Maybe when he was visiting shooting victims in El Paso.

Or just after he threw rolls of paper towels at Puerto Ricans.

jeremyp 24th September 2020 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13233889)
Trump Tweets

We thank God for the blessings we share as citizens of the Greatest Country on earth – and we hope, pray, and work for the day when the people of Cuba can finally reclaim their glorious destiny!

Today, we reaffirm our ironclad solidarity with the Cuban People, and our eternal conviction that FREEDOM will prevail over the sinister forces of COMMUNISM...

...60 years ago, these Cuban patriots formed Brigade 25-06 in a daring effort to liberate their homeland from the communist Castro regime. Today, we declare America’s unwavering commitment to a FREE CUBA!

I thought Trump didn't like losers.

Stacyhs 24th September 2020 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13233889)
Trump Tweets

We thank God for the blessings we share as citizens of the Greatest Country on earth – and we hope, pray, and work for the day when the people of Cuba can finally reclaim their glorious destiny!

Today, we reaffirm our ironclad solidarity with the Cuban People, and our eternal conviction that FREEDOM will prevail over the sinister forces of COMMUNISM...

...60 years ago, these Cuban patriots formed Brigade 25-06 in a daring effort to liberate their homeland from the communist Castro regime. Today, we declare America’s unwavering commitment to a FREE CUBA!

Sure. All words, no action. What do the Cubans in FL think Donnie's going to do? Invade Cuba?

The Don 24th September 2020 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyp (Post 13234695)
I thought Trump didn't like losers.

Silly rabbit ! The Cubans in the US aren't losers, they're winners. They escaped the communist hellhole which is Cuba and live in the greatest country in the history of the world.

The fact that they predominantly vote Republican only reinforces how much of winners they actually are ;)

The Great Zaganza 24th September 2020 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 13234701)
Silly rabbit ! The Cubans in the US aren't losers, they're winners. They escaped the communist hellhole which is Cuba and live in the greatest country in the history of the world.

The fact that they predominantly vote Republican only reinforces how much of winners they actually are ;)

They are losers for trusting the US to have their back when they tried to invade Cuba.
The Bay of Pigs Award should be awarded for getting abandoned by the US.

Orphia Nay 24th September 2020 01:37 AM

"US President Donald Trump has declined to commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses the 3 November election to Democratic rival Joe Biden.

"Mr Trump has also said he expects the election battle to end up before the Supreme Court.

"We're going to have to see what happens," Mr Trump, a Republican, told reporters at the White House when asked whether he would commit to transferring power.""

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pjGyO-V0AQ

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0...rump-election/

Aridas 24th September 2020 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay (Post 13234733)
"US President Donald Trump has declined to commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses the 3 November election to Democratic rival Joe Biden.

Shocking news! No one could have predicted that!

Yeah, though, Trump's telegraphed that he intends to try to cause serious problems should he lose since well before he was elected. It's just outright worse, now that he's had time to f up the systems that we have in place to minimize such damage much more directly.

"there won't be a transfer, frankly. There'll be a continuation." is rather more than just declining to commit to a peaceful transfer of power, though.

Pixel42 24th September 2020 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aridas (Post 13234765)
there won't be a transfer, frankly. There'll be a continuation." is rather more than just declining to commit to a peaceful transfer of power, though.

He's claiming that the only way he could possibly get less votes than Biden is if the Democrats cheat. He can't countenance the idea that more people might actually, genuinely, be intending to vote for Biden than for him. Remember how he blamed Hilary Clinton getting more votes than him last time on cheating? It's the same thing.

Captain_Swoop 24th September 2020 02:59 AM

From the BBC

US election: Trump won't commit to peaceful transfer of power

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54274115

US President Donald Trump has refused to commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses November's election.

"Well, we'll have to see what happens,You know that."

Trump also said he believed the result could end up in the Supreme Court

"I've been complaining very strongly about the ballots, and the ballots are a disaster."
"Get rid of the ballots, and you'll have a very - you'll have a very peaceful - there won't be a transfer, frankly, there'll be a continuation."


Mitt Romney tweeted on Wednesday: "Fundamental to democracy is the peaceful transition of power; without that, there is Belarus.
Any suggestion that a president might not respect this Constitutional guarantee is both unthinkable and unacceptable."

Biden said Mr Trump's comments on the transition of power were "irrational".
His campaign said it was prepared for any "shenanigans" from Trump.
"the United States government is perfectly capable of escorting trespassers out of the White House".


Trump commented on the Supreme court.

"I think this will end up in the Supreme Court, and I think it's very important that we have nine justices," the president said.
I think it's better if you go before the election, because I think this scam that the Democrats are pulling, it's a scam, the scam will be before the United States Supreme Court."

Mojo 24th September 2020 03:41 AM

Quote:

"Get rid of the ballots, and you'll have a very - you'll have a very peaceful - there won't be a transfer, frankly, there'll be a continuation."

I thought he’d sworn to uphold the constitution.

Aridas 24th September 2020 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixel42 (Post 13234770)
He's claiming that the only way he could possibly get less votes than Biden is if the Democrats cheat. He can't countenance the idea that more people might actually, genuinely, be intending to vote for Biden than for him. Remember how he blamed Hilary Clinton getting more votes than him last time on cheating? It's the same thing.

Personally, again, I disagree. I think that such both is more part of a cynical and dishonest strategy than an actual inability to comprehend - and is far better to treat as strategy, regardless, than treating it as an actual inability, for pretty much every practical purpose.

Chris_Halkides 24th September 2020 04:25 AM

Politicians and specific curricular decisions
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13234674)
Interesting article, Chris. I enjoyed reading it.

Snopes has an article about a plaque at one Mr. Trump's golf courses (in Virginia). It commemorates a battle that did not take place. KC Johnson (whose politics might be described as centrist) also tweeted, "To me, K-12 history should be shaped primarily by educators. Trump (& other pols) have no business making specific curricular decisions..."

Worm 24th September 2020 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_unique_person (Post 13234668)
The fundamentalists don't think Trump is a real Xian anyway. They regard him as a useful heathen.

I don't see how Trump could possibly be a Xian. That would require him to acknowledge the existence of an entity more perfect and powerful than himself.

newyorkguy 24th September 2020 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13234777)
..."Get rid of the ballots, and you'll have a very - you'll have a very peaceful - there won't be a transfer, frankly, there'll be a continuation."

Unbelievable. Anybody left out there that thinks it's not possible that even trump would try and contest the election result in order to justify refusing to leave office?

Mumbles 24th September 2020 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13234674)
Interesting article, Chris. I enjoyed reading it.

There are still issues with the critique, however. Of courser, the first is the matter of what, exactly, they mean by "our founding". Whose? They don't mean that it's when the Constitution was enacted, obviously. They could quite reasonably mean what set us on the path we've taken - and certainly the desire to continue enslaving others was one monetary reason for the Revolution. - I've noticed that people tend to avoid the noticeable accumulation of wealth and political power that rebellion immediately handed to the Founding Fathers - the Boston Tea Party wasn't just a bunch of dudes chilling at brunch, only to have the redcoats show up and steal their brie and mimosas, after all.

(I've noted, myself, that the first Africans in the US were kept as indentured servants, rather than as chattel slaves, so I also disagree with some of the claims. Still, if by "our" they mean black Americans, it's supported far better than 1492 - which is what Dolt 45 intends to teach. I do note, regarding his "1776 program" - it's just like a white supremacist to outright steal a black person's idea and use it to oppress.)

Armitage72 24th September 2020 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worm (Post 13234886)
I don't see how Trump could possibly be a Xian. That would require him to acknowledge the existence of an entity more perfect and powerful than himself.


"And a voice said to me, 'Sir, if you had been responsible for creating the universe, it would have been done in only three days, instead of the six I needed, it would work much better, and you wouldn't have needed to rest for a day afterward. Nobody knows more about design and construction that you or has more energy than you.'"

carlosy 24th September 2020 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 13234815)
I thought he’d sworn to uphold the constitution.

He does!
He upholds his very own constitution:

1st amendment: Lie

2nd amendment: Lie even more

3rd amendment: Go back to 1st amendment

phiwum 24th September 2020 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_unique_person (Post 13234668)
The fundamentalists don't think Trump is a real Xian anyway. They regard him as a useful heathen.

Not true in my experience.

My evangelical family members regard Trump as chosen by God, like Saul. I don't recall Saul being a total dick and incompetent after the conversion, but you know, God works in mysterious ways.

In any case, it's God who chose him, not the evangelicals, and who are we to question God's judgment?

BobTheCoward 24th September 2020 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phiwum (Post 13234978)
Not true in my experience.

My evangelical family members regard Trump as chosen by God, like Saul. I don't recall Saul being a total dick and incompetent after the conversion, but you know, God works in mysterious ways.

In any case, it's God who chose him, not the evangelicals, and who are we to question God's judgment?

How do they know?

JoeMorgue 24th September 2020 06:31 AM

Trump wouldn't be the first person to balance delusions of grandeur and martyrdom in religious terms.

Dr.Sid 24th September 2020 06:37 AM

Only thing which scares me more than idiot president with nukes is idiot president with nukes and God.

Armitage72 24th September 2020 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phiwum (Post 13234978)
Not true in my experience.

My evangelical family members regard Trump as chosen by God, like Saul. I don't recall Saul being a total dick and incompetent after the conversion, but you know, God works in mysterious ways.


I thought the usual comparison was to King Cyrus of Persia, a non-believer chosen by God to benefit the actual believers.

Horatius 24th September 2020 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13234777)
From the BBC

US election: Trump won't commit to peaceful transfer of power

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54274115

US President Donald Trump has refused to commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses November's election.

"Well, we'll have to see what happens,You know that."

Trump also said he believed the result could end up in the Supreme Court

"I've been complaining very strongly about the ballots, and the ballots are a disaster."
"Get rid of the ballots, and you'll have a very - you'll have a very peaceful - there won't be a transfer, frankly, there'll be a continuation."


Mitt Romney tweeted on Wednesday: "Fundamental to democracy is the peaceful transition of power; without that, there is Belarus.
Any suggestion that a president might not respect this Constitutional guarantee is both unthinkable and unacceptable."

Biden said Mr Trump's comments on the transition of power were "irrational".
His campaign said it was prepared for any "shenanigans" from Trump.
"the United States government is perfectly capable of escorting trespassers out of the White House".


Trump commented on the Supreme court.

"I think this will end up in the Supreme Court, and I think it's very important that we have nine justices," the president said.
I think it's better if you go before the election, because I think this scam that the Democrats are pulling, it's a scam, the scam will be before the United States Supreme Court."



But of course, to even suggest the possibility that Trump might actually carry out the old "Stay in power after the election" conspiracy theory is just TDS. He's just like every other President has been, speculating about the death of democracy is just hyperbole and nonsense from a bunch of fringe losers.

dmaker 24th September 2020 08:13 AM

Trump met with chanting protesters while pretending to pay respects to Ginsburg.

As much as I like to see him uncomfortable, you just know the revenge hamsters in his head are recording every chant and planning to punish people.

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-to-ruth-bader

Squeegee Beckenheim 24th September 2020 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaker (Post 13235157)
Trump met with chanting protesters while pretending to pay respects to Ginsburg.

As much as I like to see him uncomfortable, you just know the revenge hamsters in his head are recording every chant and planning to punish people.

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-to-ruth-bader

Footage: https://twitter.com/murray_nyc/statu...51487122120706

Darat 24th September 2020 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaker (Post 13235157)
Trump met with chanting protesters while pretending to pay respects to Ginsburg.

As much as I like to see him uncomfortable, you just know the revenge hamsters in his head are recording every chant and planning to punish people.

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-to-ruth-bader

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim (Post 13235181)

And I am certain he will telling us all on Twitter later on today that the crowd was shouting "vote him out" about Biden.

TragicMonkey 24th September 2020 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 13235196)
And I am certain he will telling us all on Twitter later on today that the crowd was shouting "vote him out" about Biden.

They were shouting "Boo-urns!"

Captain_Swoop 24th September 2020 08:42 AM

Trump Tweets

Sleepy Joe Biden just closed down his campaign for the day (Again). Wants to rest! He is a very LOW ENERGY INDIVIDUAL, and our Country cannot make it in these exciting, but complex and competitive times, with a Low Energy President !!!

North Carolina looking good! See you later.

Captain_Swoop 24th September 2020 08:44 AM

Trump Tweets

Rasmussen Approval Rating: 52%. Republican Party Approval Rating, 95%. Thank you!

Florida looking good!

Praying for the two police officers that were shot tonight in Louisville, Kentucky. The Federal Government stands behind you and is ready to help. Spoke to @GovAndyBeshear and we are prepared to work together, immediately upon request!

LAW & ORDER!

Gulliver Foyle 24th September 2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_unique_person (Post 13231910)
BuzzFeed has its hands on leaked documents that link Deutsche Bank, the only one that would deal with him, to large scale money laundering.

That's been kind of an open secret for a few years now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giordano (Post 13232006)
I don’t know about his hair weave...

That's a dead European squirrel.

Stacyhs 24th September 2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides (Post 13234874)
Snopes has an article about a plaque at one Mr. Trump's golf courses (in Virginia). It commemorates a battle that did not take place. KC Johnson (whose politics might be described as centrist) also tweeted, "To me, K-12 history should be shaped primarily by educators. Trump (& other pols) have no business making specific curricular decisions..."

Typical Trump reply when told that historians say no such battle occurred:

Quote:

“How would they know that?” Mr. Trump asked when told that local historians had called his plaque a fiction. “Were they there?”

Mr. Trump repeatedly said that “numerous historians” had told him that the golf club site was known as the River of Blood. But he said he did not remember their names.

Then he said the historians had spoken not to him but to “my people.” But he refused to identify any [employees] who might still possess the historians’ names.

“Write your story the way you want to write it,” Mr. Trump said finally, when pressed unsuccessfully for anything that could corroborate his claim. “You don’t have to talk to anybody. It doesn’t make any difference. But many people were shot. It makes sense.”

JoeMorgue 24th September 2020 12:27 PM

Quote:

LAW & ORDER!
CHICAGO JUSTICE!

THE ROCKFORD FILES!

BOSTON LEGAL!

Captain_Swoop 24th September 2020 12:58 PM

TRUMP: "The ballots, that's a whole big scam. They found 8 ballots in a waste basket, others in a river. They throw 'em out if they have the name Trump on them."

REPORTER: "There were no names on them"

TRUMP: "Well, they still found them in a river."

REPORTER: "What do you think the peaceful protesters are fighting for?"

TRUMP: "It's fine to do that in a peaceful manner, but when it gets less than peaceful, then it's unacceptable."

REPORTER: "You didn't answer my question."

Captain_Swoop 24th September 2020 01:12 PM

After an unusual press release saying they found 9 discarded military ballots and all 9 were cast for Trump, the Department of Justice has deleted the release and issued a new one saying it's 7 for Trump and they dunno about the other 2. https://justice.gov/usao-mdpa/pr/rev...s-mail-ballots

Gulliver Foyle 24th September 2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 13233325)
Care to identify what she has done that has you all hot and bothered?

Or are you really desperate to get a REAL heavy duty suit for harassment...

Given that it's judicial watch, probably fairly and impartially did her job and obeyed the law in all ways.

Nothing like a law abiding citizen to rile up the Volksgerichtshof types.

Galaxie 24th September 2020 01:33 PM

<Pointless questions follow> What is the GOP's long game with regards to Trump? I'm not talking about their plan to stack the supreme court with theocratic conservatives, I mean with Trump specifically. They've put all their energy into becoming the Party Cult of Trump®, so what will they do when they lose him?

Even if they rig the election or somehow get a third term, they still have to deal with life after Trump eventually. (No way Don Jr. can pull it off even though some seem to want him to be the guy.) Someone posted a link recently to a clip of Trump-enthusiasts registering to vote. A lot of them said Trump Party when asked what party they wanted to register with. Doesn't that worry the younger GOP congress-critters? "Wait, which party are you? Republican? I don't care about them; now where's the Trump-guy?"

turingtest 24th September 2020 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13235490)
Typical Trump reply when told that historians say no such battle occurred:

I especially loved the "“how would they know that? Were they there?” bit- straight from the Ken Ham fact-denial playbook. If the reality of what happened in the past can only be ascertained by personal experience, then that reality is up for grabs. And when that's so, any reality is as possible as any other; the only thing that needs to be done then is to make your preferred reality as plausible as any other, and you've succeeded in making fact a matter of how well you've argued for an opinion. Creationists do this, hard-core CTists do this- it's no surprise to me that Trump does this.

TragicMonkey 24th September 2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaxie (Post 13235577)
<Pointless questions follow> What is the GOP's long game with regards to Trump? I'm not talking about their plan to stack the supreme court with theocratic conservatives, I mean with Trump specifically. They've put all their energy into becoming the Party Cult of Trump®, so what will they do when they lose him?

Even if they rig the election or somehow get a third term, they still have to deal with life after Trump eventually. (No way Don Jr. can pull it off even though some seem to want him to be the guy.) Someone posted a link recently to a clip of Trump-enthusiasts registering to vote. A lot of them said Trump Party when asked what party they wanted to register with. Doesn't that worry the younger GOP congress-critters? "Wait, which party are you? Republican? I don't care about them; now where's the Trump-guy?"

It'll be a new party, the one that forms when the Republicans disband. (There won't be a need for a "Republican" party once we're no longer a republic, after all.)

I think that "Project Veritas" guy would be the perfect next Trump: an incompetent blowhard idiot who's been involved in crime and public stupidity. He's perfect for the role. I expect he's sending his resume to Putin now, asking for the job.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-20, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.