International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Non-USA & General Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Continuation Brexit: Now What? 9 Below Zero (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339007)

SezMe 13th June 2020 09:38 PM

dup

The Don 13th June 2020 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SezMe (Post 13124693)
We're abut half-way from February first and December 31. Is there a summary piece anywhere on where the negotiations stand? Is there mandatory, regular reporting so that UKers can know how it's going? Does the EU do any reporting on progress from their perspective?

Brexit just doesn't get much coverage here in the colonies lately. I just wonder how things are proceeding.

Negotiations are stalled. The UK is happy with a no deal so aren't really trying. There are rumours in the right wing media that the UK's hard line is just about to trigger a raft of unilateral concessions from the EU. Then again, they've been saying the same thing all along.

The only definitive statement from the UK government is that the transition period will not be extended under any circumstances.

Pixel42 13th June 2020 11:22 PM

Quote:

Is there mandatory, regular reporting so that UKers can know how it's going?

As I recall one of the first things this government did when it was returned with a decent majority was remove the requirement to report progress regularly to Parliament.

Explorer 13th June 2020 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 13124721)
Negotiations are stalled. The UK is happy with a no deal so aren't really trying. There are rumours in the right wing media that the UK's hard line is just about to trigger a raft of unilateral concessions from the EU. Then again, they've been saying the same thing all along.

The only definitive statement from the UK government is that the transition period will not be extended under any circumstances.

Great approach by the UK. Treat our future trading partners as adversaries, be stubborn and arrogant, time limit the negotiations in the middle of a pandemic. I just wonder at what point soon Barnier will say just do one.

The Don 14th June 2020 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Explorer (Post 13124726)
Great approach by the UK. Treat our future trading partners as adversaries, be stubborn and arrogant, time limit the negotiations in the middle of a pandemic. I just wonder at what point soon Barnier will say just do one.

That's exactly what the UK government wants. That way they can have the no-deal the architects of Brexit want but can blame all negative consequences on Barnier's intransigence. :mad:

P.J. Denyer 14th June 2020 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 13124953)
That's exactly what the UK government wants. That way they can have the no-deal the architects of Brexit want but can blame all negative consequences on Barnier's intransigence. :mad:

Isn't that exactly what people were being called paranoid or scaremongers for predicting over the last three years? Project Fear indeed.

Darat 14th June 2020 09:48 AM

Quote:

We're abut half-way from February first and December 31. Is there a summary piece anywhere on where the negotiations stand? Is there mandatory, regular reporting so that UKers can know how it's going? Does the EU do any reporting on progress from their perspective?

Brexit just doesn't get much coverage here in the colonies lately. I just wonder how things are proceeding.

As planned.

Unfortunately.

Agatha 14th June 2020 11:51 AM

Mod InfoPlease go here for the next instalment of this thread
Posted By:Agatha