International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Welcome! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Welcome new Members! Introduce yourselves here! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64023)

Legend 6th September 2011 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by argalarga (Post 7525211)
Hi! Name's Mike, I'm a playwright and screenwriter living in Los Angeles.

Marry me.

COLONEL 6th September 2011 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aridas (Post 7537615)
Dammit! I want my cow's milk and water for a drink, so I'll just start bringing them with me. The vegetables and rabbit meat sounds tasty though. I have no idea what Kangaroo meat is like, so I'd love to try it. And... just pass a few of those apple and pecan pies over and no one will get hurt.

That said, I'm a totally random, in the sense that I prefer believing in determinism and that nothing is truly random, person who's ended up here. And by person, I'm just going to arbitrarily expand that description to any sapient species and use a dragon as my avatar, probably, for the fun of it. We'll see whether I last around here or not. If not... It's probably because I didn't have a steady supply of milk.

Sorry if you want cows milk you will have to get that on your own, it's cheaper for me to keep goats.and trust me the water here is only good for cooking and bathing thats why we do not offer it.
Welcome to the forum and Welcome to you too Donald

amb 6th September 2011 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legend (Post 7543342)
Marry me.

You would marry another male just to be in Los Angeles? :eye-poppi

COLONEL 6th September 2011 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legend (Post 7543342)
Marry me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb (Post 7543451)

It's got to be a California thing :)

Legend 6th September 2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb (Post 7543451)

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 7543488)
It's got to be a California thing :)

Screenwriter, and in LA. Cool stuff.

The Man 6th September 2011 08:58 AM

Could be a snazzy dresser as well.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Though the screen writer portrayed above did have the additional advantage of being born in Poughkeepsie NY.

Welcome everyone.

COLONEL 6th September 2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Man (Post 7544168)
Could be a snazzy dresser as well.
Though the screen writer portrayed above did have the additional advantage of being born in Poughkeepsie NY.

Could this be a reletive of yours?:D

The Man 6th September 2011 04:20 PM

An intriguing possibility that could both explain my fashion sense and my acting ability.

amattke 6th September 2011 06:26 PM

I'm new too- just wanted to say hello! I know all the folks from meetings, but a first-timer on the forum.

amb 7th September 2011 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amattke (Post 7545746)
I'm new too- just wanted to say hello! I know all the folks from meetings, but a first-timer on the forum.

A very warm welcome. You DVD of "Men Who Stare At Goats" is on it's way with a glass of their freshly squeezed milk. :)

COLONEL 7th September 2011 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amattke (Post 7545746)

Hello to you too, and Welcome amattke. We have a BBQ on the weekends here, so watch for the menu it is usually posted on Fri.

advena 7th September 2011 09:51 AM

former lurker here

Hi,
I've been a fan of this forum for quite some time and I have finally decided to participate in some discussions. I look forward to meeting and engaging with the members.

AdMan 7th September 2011 09:54 AM

Welcome, all newbies! I'm sure you'll enjoy your time on the forum. :)

Edward Palamar 7th September 2011 01:14 PM

Greetings in the Resurrected Christ!

Jesus Christ has raised me from the dead according to His promise to raise another up on the last day. He has done this through normal consummation via my parents John and Mary, whereas both Jesus Christ and myself were originally conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit.

I am the resurrected Prophet of the Most High, St. John the Baptist, whom Jesus Christ calls "the Elias who was to come", enjoying the rapture of Christ's love in the duty of Petrus Romanus (Peter the Roman), your ultimate, penultimate authority.

All glory, honor, and praise be to the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit!

AdMan 7th September 2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Palamar (Post 7548622)
Jesus Christ has raised me from the dead according to His promise to raise another up on the last day. He has done this through normal consummation via my parents John and Mary, whereas both Jesus Christ and myself were originally conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Don't tell anyone, but Jesus's dad was actually a handsome Roman soldier. That holy spirit nonsense was just something Mary came up with on the spur of the moment and that Joseph bought hook, line and sinker.

COLONEL 7th September 2011 03:48 PM

Welcome Advena Have some of my Fresh Goats milk.

And welcome to you too Ed Palamar I suggest you go to one of the Athiest sites as you could have some real good conversations :rolleyes:

Stoat22 7th September 2011 05:25 PM

Greetings. I'm

new, though I'm not young. I won't be posting frequently, but I may be reading quite a lot. My interest is primarily epistemology--specifically, how professions of belief in unsupportable propositions are asserted and defended.

I have one question that I'd appreciate an answer for: why is holocaust denial given such a prominent forum here? I asked in the appropriate place, but was ignored. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Best,

Stoat

AdMan 7th September 2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoat22 (Post 7549458)
new, though I'm not young. I won't be posting frequently, but I may be reading quite a lot. My interest is primarily epistemology--specifically, how professions of belief in unsupportable propositions are asserted and defended.

I have one question that I'd appreciate an answer for: why is holocaust denial given such a prominent forum here? I asked in the appropriate place, but was ignored. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Best,

Stoat

Welcome, Stoat.

Is holocaust denial really given a prominent place here? My understanding was that discussion of it was kept to one moderated thread (and there are only a handful of those). That thread is in the Conspiracy Theories subforum, which attracts some really misinformed and even disturbed posters (and some brave ones willing to take them on). Discussions in that place are so out there that many posters--including me--rarely venture there. We really don't miss much.

Akhenaten 7th September 2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

I am the resurrected Prophet of the Most High, St. John the Baptist, whom Jesus Christ calls "the Elias who was to come", enjoying the rapture of Christ's love in the duty of Petrus Romanus (Peter the Roman), your ultimate, penultimate authority.

Ooh, hullo. I'm Re-horakty Nepherkheperure Waenre Akhenaten, ruler of the Two Lands and Servant of the Aten.

Kopji 7th September 2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Welcome! Enjoy your day here. If I were going to spend a last day somewhere, it would be the politics forum.

SusanB-M1 7th September 2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoat22 (Post 7549458)

Welcome! Oh, and I'm one of the two, or maybe three, oldest on these forums!:) I note your interest in epistemology and shall, therefore, be reading what you have to say. Every now and again, I think I've grasped how to use the word correctly and with confidence, but not so, I'm afraid! I only started reading about philosophy in recent years. It is a joy to read posts in the r&P sub-forum, and a couple of other sites I belong to where such knowledge is evident.

rhodtpr 8th September 2011 12:57 AM

Allow myself to introduce myself.

Good day skeptics!

Not much too say other than I am a skeptic (I think?) who was introduced to the skeptical movement about 1982/83 while working in a tabernacle to female anatomy.

(See my post today about Psychic Nikki.)

I'll mention briefly my introduction to skepticism/atheism;

I was reading a publication called "The Plain Truth" magazine - my boss noticed and asked me a few questions about the magazine and what it was about it that appealed to me.

IIRC I told him I was looking for truth...or certainty...or something like that?

A few days later he dropped by and gave me a well worn paperback book called "African Genesis" by Robert Ardrey. I put down my "Plain Truth" magazine, started reading Ardrey's book and never looked back.

Nowadays I pass the time challenging those who deny evolution (under the pretext that it is nothing more than a "religion") in the back room of an on-line forum dealing with a certain Kawasaki motorcycle known as a ZRX1200R.

Cheers!

amb 8th September 2011 01:24 AM

Welcome whatever your user name is. I don't even know how to pronounce it!! Your copy of the DVD "Men Who Stare At Goats" is on it's way.

COLONEL 8th September 2011 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 (Post 7550110)
Welcome! Oh, and I'm one of the two, or maybe three, oldest on these forums!:) .

Oh Stop lying to the NEWB's, we all know you are only sweet 16 and that is not old :cool:

rhodtpr 8th September 2011 10:16 AM

AMB - Welcome whatever your user name is. I don't even know how to pronounce it!! Your copy of the DVD "Men Who Stare At Goats" is on it's way.

I used to do that - damn things just kept staring back!

Couldn't make a connection...WWT?

Cheers down under man.

rhodtpr 8th September 2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 7550565)
Oh Stop lying to the NEWB's, we all know you are only sweet 16 and that is not old :cool:

I am much older than I look...:D

Cheers!

COLONEL 8th September 2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhodtpr (Post 7551720)
I am much older than I look...:D

Cheers!

I will still have to see an ID, I can not just take you word for it. I card everyone!

The Man 8th September 2011 01:20 PM

As well you should, and just a word of caution the fermented goat milk has quite a kick to it that kicks even harder the next morning.

Welcome everyone

COLONEL 9th September 2011 02:25 AM

There will be just Goats milk, MINTIES , oatmeal cookies, roo meat, Assorted salads, roasted corn on the cob,steam clams,lobsters and assorted icecream this weekend for the NEWB'S

amb 9th September 2011 02:40 AM

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6195/...95c1a70e_z.jpg

Okay newbs. This is the weekly special. Bon Apetit. :)

COLONEL 9th September 2011 03:13 AM

AMB the wheat grass is for the Goat

CelticRose 10th September 2011 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 7553997)
AMB the wheat grass is for the Goat

That must be why it's on order. The goat ate it all. :D

Garrison 11th September 2011 01:37 AM

Hi, my name is Mike and I have a problem...oh wait that's the other group.

lee1962 11th September 2011 10:06 PM

Hello from Doncaster

Hello: I've just joined the forum. I'd describe my philosophy as being sceptical, but not dismissive.

amb 11th September 2011 11:15 PM

Welcome Lee. Menu is on the board above.

Edward Palamar 12th September 2011 05:19 AM

Greetings in the Resurrected Christ!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdMan (Post 7548658)
Don't tell anyone, but Jesus's dad was actually a handsome Roman soldier.

I don't keep secrets. Here is a head's up on sites with resident devils :

risen-from-the-dead.forumotion. com/ t3-testimony-against-apostates

I've included a few spaces so that one may reconstruct the URL using one's intellect. CAUTION : The sites included there will attempt to sever your intellect from God.

AdMan 12th September 2011 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Palamar (Post 7564105)

I've included a few spaces so that one may reconstruct the URL using one's intellect. CAUTION : The sites included there will attempt to sever your intellect from God.

I have no interest in visiting proselytizing websites. Why don't you start a thread that summarizes the argument in the appropriate subforum so we can discuss it here?

COLONEL 12th September 2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Palamar (Post 7564105)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdMan (Post 7564558)
I have no interest in visiting proselytizing websites. Why don't you start a thread that summarizes the argument in the appropriate subforum so we can discuss it here?

I agree with ADMAN

Welcome to all you NewB's out there

Stoat22 12th September 2011 04:47 PM

Thanks! My posts will be few, but I think I will be making a couple here and there. Best wishes,

Stoat22 12th September 2011 04:54 PM

Thanks for the welcome. You don't believe that the holocaust denial is given much space here. Maybe it is not, but it appears like it is when I look at the forum indices....just by the volume, not the number of threads. Either way, the question was why host the discussions, not how large a proportion of the site is devoted to such discussions. Thanks for any reply.

Best,