International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Welcome! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Welcome new Members! Introduce yourselves here! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64023)

COLONEL 14th October 2011 10:42 AM

HAPPY FRIDAY NEWB'S
Here's my weekend Menu
Fresh Goats milk, Belgian beer, Miller and Smithwicks, and Mystery Kool-ade
Roo, Rabbit,cat cooked anyway you want them
Then we have Potato salad, tossed salads,and corn on the cob
MINTIES,Grayman oatmeal cookies,Cherry,and Apple pies.

arthwollipot 14th October 2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamtheilluminati (Post 7671867)
Hello...

Goodbye

Prescient, much?

Prometheus 16th October 2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 7673121)
Prescient, much?

Perhaps he really is the Illuminati.... ;)

amb 16th October 2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 7673121)
Prescient, much?

The budgie did it. :)

Ketyk 17th October 2011 08:23 AM

What the heck, no fresh recruits all weekend?

I think we need to start infiltating the known hangouts of woo-minded associations.

Maybe I'll go to Salem in a few weeks.

COLONEL 17th October 2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 7679011)
What the heck, no fresh recruits all weekend?

I think we need to start infiltating the known hangouts of woo-minded associations.

Maybe I'll go to Salem in a few weeks.

Salem MA., Salem OR., or Salem IN. ?

Ketyk 17th October 2011 10:13 AM

Salem MA. It's awesome during Halloween. I can actually get myself just scared enough to have it be exciting.

"Maybe there are ghosts. What was that noise? If someone hanged me for being a witch, I'd come back seeking revenge."

Prometheus 17th October 2011 10:41 AM

I have friends who live a few blocks from the museums down town. I've never been there for Halloween, though.

Ketyk 17th October 2011 11:01 AM

You should try to visit them some year. All the accomodations are booked this year no doubt, and are pretty expensive anyway.

There is a lot a fun things to do:
http://www.salemweb.com/calendar/?month=10 (end of page)

Some friends and I would drive up or take the train, all dressed up. One year I went as a WWI doughboy, carrying a real training rifle (wood and metal and bolt-action, but not possible to be modified). The police weren't happy.

COLONEL 17th October 2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 7679441)
Some friends and I would drive up or take the train, all dressed up. One year I went as a WWI doughboy, carrying a real training rifle (wood and metal and bolt-action, but not possible to be modified). The police weren't happy.

Well of course the police were not happy, MA is a anti gun state It's not like VT. or NH were you can open carry. any time of the year at night Salem is a little scarey

Rockhopper 19th October 2011 04:43 AM

Hi all,

I am a long time lurker who has eventually signed up. Not sure why as I rarely post on any forum, but my wife and I are trying to set up a little grass roots skeptic meeting and figured the jref would probably be a good resource.

Also, this weekend something really bugged me and I want to find out if I can stop a religious group of people saying 'God' can 'cure cancer'.

I will post about this a little later.

cheers

arthwollipot 19th October 2011 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockhopper (Post 7684218)
Hi all,

I am a long time lurker who has eventually signed up. Not sure why as I rarely post on any forum, but my wife and I are trying to set up a little grass roots skeptic meeting and figured the jref would probably be a good resource.

No problem. Let us know what you need.

COLONEL 19th October 2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockhopper (Post 7684218)
Also, this weekend something really bugged me and I want to find out if I can stop a religious group of people saying 'God' can 'cure cancer'.

Welcome Rockhopper have a fresh glass of Goats milk . In answer to your question I doubt you can stop it, but have fun trying. :D

Rockhopper 19th October 2011 07:47 AM

Hi thanks for the welcome,

It is going to take a while for me to work out how to do the quote thingies etc.

I have always enjoyed reading the forum but have not thought about doing anything proactive for a while. My wife and I set up a website about a year ago which had little response locally and tried a little promo stuff but it still hasn't gathered any momentum (Mostly Moss).

We are based in Cornwall, UK. I am aware that I can not post links, so if you want to look google 'skeptics in cornwall'. We will be adding stuff as and when time allows. To be honest any input/ideas would be good.

Ketyk 19th October 2011 08:22 AM

Hi Rock. I think this is your site.

I forget if newbies like yourself can just code it with [ q u o t e] x [ / q u o t e ] (without the spaces) or not.

I'm sure just posting here will attract some traffic to the site.

As to the 'god cures cancer' part, try starting a thread along those lines in JREFs Religion and Philosophy section. I don't see how trying to stop people from expressing thier views would be helpful. Expressing your own well thought out views with facts to back it up might prove a better tact.

arthwollipot 20th October 2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockhopper (Post 7684675)
Hi thanks for the welcome,

It is going to take a while for me to work out how to do the quote thingies etc.

The 'Help' link is at the top right, and it wants to be your friend!

vjohn82 20th October 2011 01:19 AM

Hello to everyone,

I joined this group as I noticed that my blog had been linked to a thread. I'm Vaughan John Jones, the guy being sued for libel.

I also have another blog called The Faith Fruitcake which looks at all things nonsensical, and has delved into the world of the psychics. Victor Zammit is a particular favourite of mine and his emails to me border on the insane.

Nice to meet you all!

Akhenaten 20th October 2011 01:29 AM

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6e8b167056.gif


Hey, VJ! We have some nuts here that should go well with your fruitcake.

mewsmuse 20th October 2011 06:03 PM

Hi, long time lurker here.
I have been a fan of Mr. Randi's since I was a kid interested in magic, and I love love love his books. I'm also a big fan of Mr. Lancaster and his StopSylvia website. Psychics are my big peeve, and I enjoy seeing Mr. Randi and Mr. Lancaster rip 'em a new one, so to speak.

COLONEL 20th October 2011 08:13 PM

Welcome mewsmuse and any one else I might have missed. Rip in to a glass of my fresh Goats milk

amb 21st October 2011 12:51 AM

Been Friday here in my part of the world, today's menu consists of baked cod fillets served with a glass of holy water as well as the raw goats milk.

trixta 23rd October 2011 10:56 PM

Welcome Rockhopper, vjohn82 and mewsmuse. Welcome to the madness.

Ketyk 24th October 2011 07:43 AM

Poor trixta. Still no personality?

:duck:

Where have all the newbies gone?
Long time passing


Maybe we scare them?
:aaa!

SusanB-M1 24th October 2011 08:03 AM

Rockhopper
May I suggest looking at the Dorset Humanist Group's web site - I'm sure people there would be willing to offer ideas and help. Some 15 years ago this group had dwindled down to a handful of members, having been running for a few years after they'd met at a Philosophy U3A class. It is now the second largest group in the UK. Is there a British Humanist Group anywhere near you?Good luck.

LibraryLady 24th October 2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb (Post 7678087)
The budgie did it. :)

Hey! :mad:

Prometheus 25th October 2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LibraryLady (Post 7698524)
Hey! :mad:

Wasn't it a good thing?

Rockhopper 26th October 2011 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 (Post 7698035)
Rockhopper
May I suggest looking at the Dorset Humanist Group's web site - I'm sure people there would be willing to offer ideas and help. Some 15 years ago this group had dwindled down to a handful of members, having been running for a few years after they'd met at a Philosophy U3A class. It is now the second largest group in the UK. Is there a British Humanist Group anywhere near you?Good luck.

Hi thanks for the advice we have been looking for a humanist group near us (I believe my wife has found one/two and emailed them.)

It is much more difficult and time consuming setting something like this up than we expected. We even offered Free Tea/Coffee and cake at the first attempt.

I think we are suffering from the 'dreckly' effect. (On both sides)

Isentropic Frontkick 27th October 2011 09:39 AM

Hello all, I'm a gun-toting classic liberal atheist.

In my distance past there was woo born of kung fu, but in the more recent past a passion for mechanical engineering has supplanted my ill-informed ideas of yesteryears.

Found this forum by means of a discussion with somone close to me in regards to psychics - I was trying to turn it more towards physics but things got heated. Thus I figured some good old fashioned internet reading during the cool-down period was in order. Lo, I found this place, and fell in love.

Now I present to you: I, Isentropic Frontkick.

COLONEL 27th October 2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isentropic Frontkick (Post 7707293)
Hello all, I'm a gun-toting classic liberal atheist.

Welcome Isentropic Frontkick you're OK by me as I am a fellow gun lover to I have a CC permit and take one of my many jewels with me where ever I go, Grab a fresh glass of Goats Milk and enjoy you self here

Prometheus 27th October 2011 12:27 PM

Welcome!

Supermeerkat 27th October 2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 7668538)
Hi Super.

Love the name. It, like, means a bunch of different stuff.

Do let us know when you find evidence of bigfoot. I can't hike without either seeing footprints or finding scat that can't have come from a known species. Toss in some UFO stuff and hieroglyphics and go for a trifecta.

Does this count? I photographed it when I was out hiking, but I was so scared and ran away and can't remember where I was when I took the picture.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...75d155458f.jpg

From what I've seen of the "expert evidence" offered so far, this should be enough to keep the bigfoot people theorizing for months.

quadraginta 27th October 2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supermeerkat (Post 7708422)
<snip>

From what I've seen of the "expert evidence" offered so far, this should be enough to keep the bigfoot people theorizing for months.


I dunno. That part with Charlie Chaplin's head, down in the bottom right, looks kinda fakey.

Prometheus 27th October 2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadraginta (Post 7708708)
I dunno. That part with Charlie Chaplin's head, down in the bottom right, looks kinda fakey.

Exactly! So both Hollywood Elites and the makers of Photoshop are in on the conspiracy to keep Bigfoot truth from the public!!!! :eye-poppi

Krikkiter 27th October 2011 10:13 PM

Hi people. Probably should have done this when I first joined but as they say, better late than never.

So far it's been fun. Very entertaining and definitely educational. I've learned a lot from the threads I've been involved in - not necessarily from the OP's but definitely from the responses.

I love my science but I seriously doubt I'll ever get past the general knowledge level. Lucky for me a lot of the woo that's posted doesn't seem to even require anything past a primary school education to pick apart :D And I pick up interesting facts along the way.

Thanks for putting up with me :)

Akhenaten 27th October 2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krikkiter (Post 7709079)
Hi people. Probably should have done this when I first joined but as they say, better late than never.



I've been enjoying your posts, particularly in that thread.

Welcome to the circus!


http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6e8b167056.gif

Krikkiter 28th October 2011 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akhenaten (Post 7709150)
I've been enjoying your posts, particularly in that thread.

Welcome to the circus!


http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6e8b167056.gif


Thank you :) That thread is such a joy. I'd just like to thank the starters of the Apollo Hoax threads for my membership (and god of course.. gotta thank god).

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Supermeerkat 28th October 2011 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadraginta (Post 7708708)
I dunno. That part with Charlie Chaplin's head, down in the bottom right, looks kinda fakey.

No way! The very fact it looks fakey proves it's real as no one making a forgery would ever make something that looks so fake.

Also, I take my hat off to you sir! Your ability to differentiate between the Fuhrer and Little Tramp are second to none.

COLONEL 28th October 2011 03:25 AM

OK NewB's Welcome to the JREF. Here is the weekend menu enjoy your selves
Goats milk,assorted beer ,and koolade,fresh baked flounder,roo meat and Rabbits,
spaghetti squash,Shrimp scampi,and baked beans. Grayman oatmeal cookies, MINTIES, and pecan pie.
And again Enjoy your selves.

rpmcmurphy 28th October 2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 7709434)
OK NewB's Welcome to the JREF. Here is the weekend menu enjoy your selves
Goats milk,assorted beer ,and koolade,fresh baked flounder,roo meat and Rabbits,
spaghetti squash,Shrimp scampi,and baked beans. Grayman oatmeal cookies, MINTIES, and pecan pie.
And again Enjoy your selves.

Glad to have found this forum. A totally unrelated forum that I belong too had an OT discussion on ghosts that almost made my head explode. I needed to find some sanity and hope that I have here.

At the very least, it looks like I got here on a great menu day! I'll drink the assorted beer and leave others to drink the "koolade."

Foolmewunz 28th October 2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpmcmurphy (Post 7710398)
Glad to have found this forum. A totally unrelated forum that I belong too had an OT discussion on ghosts that almost made my head explode. I needed to find some sanity and hope that I have here.

At the very least, it looks like I got here on a great menu day! I'll drink the assorted beer and leave others to drink the "koolade."

You're from The Sticks? Did they name a town after The Amega Wand? (See lengthy and noteworthy thread in General Skepticism and the Paranormal)

Welcome aboard ... uh.... RP? RPM? RP/MC (poor guys haven't had a hit in years)? Don't be so sure about the sanity. It's sort of like what that guy said in that movie with that other guy. "No, we're insane. We're just your kind of insane."


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2015-19, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.