International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Continuation The Trump Presidency: Part 25 (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346437)

DevilsAdvocate 12th October 2020 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13254989)
Which should mean a great overall approval rating. Instead his average approval rating stands at 43.6% according to 538.

His "53% Approval Rating Overall" is an outlier poll which he won't even name. Even Rasmussen only has him at 46%.
Fivethirtyeight doesn't have a single poll listed with him above 47%.

Trump is truly delusional.

The 56% Gallup poll is here:

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/gall...-coverage.aspx

Stacyhs 12th October 2020 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate (Post 13254991)

No, it's the 53% approval rating I'm saying is an outlier poll and which he does not identify, not the "better off" poll.

DevilsAdvocate 12th October 2020 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13254993)
No, it's the 53% approval rating I'm saying is an outlier poll and which he does not identify, not the "better off" poll.

You highlighted the wrong part.

The latest USC Dornsife election poll does show a 53% approval rating...for Biden.

Trump has about a 53% disapproval rating. Even Rasmussen has him at only 46% approval.

ETA: I'm concerned Trump may be confused and does know the difference between the approval and disapproval numbers. His ability for comprehension seems to be deteriorating.

Stacyhs 12th October 2020 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate (Post 13255001)
You highlighted the wrong part.

The latest USC Dornsife election poll does show a 53% approval rating...for Biden.

Trump has about a 53% disapproval rating. Even Rasmussen has him at only 46% approval.

ETA: I'm concerned Trump may be confused and does know the difference between the approval and disapproval numbers. His ability for comprehension seems to be deteriorating.

No, the part I highlighted was what I was addressing in the first part of my response. If 56% of people feel they are better off now than they were 4 years ago, meaning better off under his presidency, then his overall approval rating should be better than a mere 43.6%.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Pixel42 12th October 2020 01:13 AM

People might be feeling better off for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with Trump and/or the state of the economy. Maybe they got a promotion, or finally paid off their student loan.

Stacyhs 12th October 2020 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixel42 (Post 13255010)
People might be feeling better off for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with Trump and/or the state of the economy. Maybe they got a promotion, or finally paid off their student loan.

People generally feel 'better off' because of their financial situation which would include a promotion or paying off a student loan. As the saying goes, "It's the economy, stupid."

Firestone 12th October 2020 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate (Post 13254982)
I'm perplexed. He is correct. A Gallup Poll shows 56% of people say they and their family are better off than they were four years ago.

That is compared to 2012 (45%) and 2004 (47%) and 1992 (38%).

Who are all these people? We have an out of control pandemic, unemployment, businesses closing, disrespect in the world, wild fires, riots in the streets, shortages on consumer goods, fear of getting a hair cut, isolation, disruption on personal lives, two hundred thousand dead, huge national debt, constant lies and deceit in government, there was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts!

How can 56% say they are doing better than four years ago? I must be doing something wrong.

If a pollster would ask me this specific question today, I wouldn't know how to answer it, frankly.

Obviously, we feel miserable with all the COVID-19 restrictions that have now been in place for 7 months, with no end in sight. And of course we know people who have been ill or died from COVID-19, which makes us sad.

But financially? Well, we are better off now than four years ago.
As we both can work from home, our income has not suffered. As there is less we can spend on, our savings have actually increased since march. As the stock market has been volatile but not really falling, our investments are doing great on balance.

I'm not sure if it is the same in the US as here in Belgium, but a large group of middle tier and high tier employees are mostly doing fine (financially). There are of course many people who suffered financially or have been made redundant, but it wouldn't surprise me if in Belgium at least 56% are economically better off than four years ago. Mentally, of course not.

gypsyjackson 12th October 2020 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Man (Post 13254348)
Dang his hand is so pale, looks like he was sanding Sheetrock.

There’s a horrible euphemism.

Stacyhs 12th October 2020 01:34 AM

I know what you mean, Firestone. It's a mixed bag in our family, too. None of us had any family or friends who have contracted Covid. My husband is working from home which he actually prefers even though he had to take a 10% pay cut. My daughter sometimes works from home and sometimes goes into the office (she works in a computer lab so has to go in more often than not). Our portfolio has done well, too. But the stress of being stuck at home for so long and of having Trump acting like a lunatic and the fear of him being re-elected has really done a number on my nerves.

The Don 12th October 2020 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestone (Post 13255013)
I'm not sure if it is the same in the US as here in Belgium, but a large group of middle tier and high tier employees are mostly doing fine (financially). There are of course many people who suffered financially or have been made redundant, but it wouldn't surprise me if in Belgium at least 56% are economically better off than four years ago. Mentally, of course not.

It's made no difference to me. Client visits aside, I've been mostly working from home for a decade. One of our neighbours is a senior health and safety engineer for a major engineering firm. He used to have a 1 hour each way commute to his office in the centre of Bristol. Now he works from home almost all the time. For him this is a major life upgrade.

It helps that he really loves his wife and children and so revels in the extra time he gets to spend with them and working from home helps his health in terms of getting out to exercise, managing his diet and knocking smoking on the head.

KDLarsen 12th October 2020 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate (Post 13254982)
I'm perplexed. He is correct. A Gallup Poll shows 56% of people say they and their family are better off than they were four years ago.

That is compared to 2012 (45%) and 2004 (47%) and 1992 (38%).

Who are all these people? We have an out of control pandemic, unemployment, businesses closing, disrespect in the world, wild fires, riots in the streets, shortages on consumer goods, fear of getting a hair cut, isolation, disruption on personal lives, two hundred thousand dead, huge national debt, constant lies and deceit in government, there was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts!

How can 56% say they are doing better than four years ago? I must be doing something wrong.

You've probably seen it already, but The Daily Show's Jordan Klepper did one of his vox pops with a Trump supporter recently, who was over the moon at how his income had quadrupled under Trump. His profession?

Debt relief.


Even Klepper couldn't stop laughing at the absurdity of it.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Firestone 12th October 2020 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13255019)
I know what you mean, Firestone. It's a mixed bag in our family, too. None of us had any family or friends who have contracted Covid. My husband is working from home which he actually prefers even though he had to take a 10% pay cut. My daughter sometimes works from home and sometimes goes into the office (she works in a computer lab so has to go in more often than not). Our portfolio has done well, too. But the stress of being stuck at home for so long and of having Trump acting like a lunatic and the fear of him being re-elected has really done a number on my nerves.

On my nerves too, even though I'm not a US citizen.
I'm not yet sure if I'll dare stay awake on election night and watch CNN as the results come in. I'm a big fan of election shows, but in 2016 I chickened out, as I feared what actually happened. (:chicken emoji: )

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 13255026)
It's made no difference to me. Client visits aside, I've been mostly working from home for a decade. One of our neighbours is a senior health and safety engineer for a major engineering firm. He used to have a 1 hour each way commute to his office in the centre of Bristol. Now he works from home almost all the time. For him this is a major life upgrade.

It helps that he really loves his wife and children and so revels in the extra time he gets to spend with them and working from home helps his health in terms of getting out to exercise, managing his diet and knocking smoking on the head.

Working from home is a major life upgrade for us too, for the reasons you mention (minus the commute, which is/was a 15 minute walk for me). I hope WFH will remain a thing after COVID-19 is behind us.

But we digress, so back to the topic

What this discussion shows, is that the famous "it's the economy, stupid" isn't necessarily true. Trump is such a disaster, that even a "good" economy probably won't save him.
That's why, IMO, the 56% who are better off doesn't translate in similar approval numbers.

Segnosaur 12th October 2020 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixel42 (Post 13255010)
People might be feeling better off for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with Trump and/or the state of the economy. Maybe they got a promotion, or finally paid off their student loan.

It should also be noted that in some cases, the factors that make people better off personally may only be temporary.

For example, the trump tax cuts and deregulation may have (temporarily) boosted the stock market (which may make people think "I am doing better"), but eventually the resulting federal debt will need to be dealt with (meaning people will be worse off in the future).

And Trump's environmental policies (global warming denials, more oil drilling) give people lower gas and electricity prices now, but people will be worse off in the future dealing with the environmental impact.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

Stacyhs 12th October 2020 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDLarsen (Post 13255027)
You've probably seen it already, but The Daily Show's Jordan Klepper did one of his vox pops with a Trump supporter recently, who was over the moon at how his income had quadrupled under Trump. His profession?

Debt relief.


Even Klepper couldn't stop laughing at the absurdity of it.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I had to laugh at the guy who was so stupid he completely missed the "sheep" bit. But the guy who admitted his father had underlying health conditions but still wouldn't wear a mask, I just wanted to slap.

abaddon 12th October 2020 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestone (Post 13255013)
If a pollster would ask me this specific question today, I wouldn't know how to answer it, frankly.

Obviously, we feel miserable with all the COVID-19 restrictions that have now been in place for 7 months, with no end in sight. And of course we know people who have been ill or died from COVID-19, which makes us sad.

But financially? Well, we are better off now than four years ago.
As we both can work from home, our income has not suffered. As there is less we can spend on, our savings have actually increased since march. As the stock market has been volatile but not really falling, our investments are doing great on balance.

That's false. How do I know that? Because I have been on the road every day since COVID started for what is regarded as essential work. I have claimed no benefits of any stripe and just kept on working through all of it. Because of that I know that lots of people are hurting financially. I am too, just not enough to require state aid.

Since I am on the road every day, I see how people are actually behaving. This pandemic will inevitably get worse due to that behaviour.

Tero 12th October 2020 04:25 AM

Trump rally this evening may happen. Airport touch down, talk, then fly out.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/poli...x3i-story.html

By buying a ticket you sign a disclaimer
Quote:

The Sanford event is set for 7 p.m., with access to the airport opening at 4 p.m. The Trump campaign and the White House have not indicated if any additional safety measures will be taken to prevent transmission of the COVID-19 virus among those traveling on Air Force One or those attending the Sanford rally.

Trump’s campaign website, which is asking people to register for tickets to the rally, continues to include this warning: “In attending the event, you and any guests voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19, and waive, release, and discharge Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.; the host venue; or any of their affiliates, directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, or volunteers from any and all liability under any theory, whether in negligence or otherwise, for any illness or injury.”

Pixel42 12th October 2020 04:47 AM

Let's hope it's like the Tulsa rally, i.e. hardly anyone turns up.

timhau 12th October 2020 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tero (Post 13255093)
Trump rally this evening may happen. Airport touch down, talk, then fly out.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/poli...x3i-story.html

By buying a ticket you sign a disclaimer

"I take no responsibility" once again. That should be his campaign slogan.

jadebox 12th October 2020 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixel42 (Post 13255010)
People might be feeling better off for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with Trump and/or the state of the economy. Maybe they got a promotion, or finally paid off their student loan.

Plus unemployment benefits have been increased.

Captain_Swoop 12th October 2020 05:24 AM

Trump Tweets

Leading by a lot!
Quote Tweet

Brit Hume
@brithume
Mr. Trump pulled out of the Paris Climate Accord and eased Obama-Biden climate regulations, and the U.S. is still leading the world in CO2 reductions. https://wsj.com/articles/kamala-harr...on-11602283301

Captain_Swoop 12th October 2020 05:28 AM

Trum tweets

The FBI and Law Enforcement must focus their energy on ANTIFA and the Radical Left, those who have spent the summer trying to burn down poorly run Democrat Cities throughout the USA!

Big spike in the China Plague in Europe and other places that the Fake News used to hold up as examples of places that are doing well, in order to make the U.S look bad. Be strong and vigilant, it will run its course. Vaccines and cures are coming fast!

Captain_Swoop 12th October 2020 05:31 AM

Trump Tweets
These are Biden fools. ANTIFA RADICALS. Get them FBI, and get them now!

Taking advantage of fools. Law & Order! Portland, call in the Feds!

Put these animals in jail, now. The Radical Left only knows how to take advantage of very dumb “leadership” fools. This is Biden! Law & Order!

The Radical Left fools in Portland don’t want any help from real Law Enforcement which we will provide instantaneously. Vote!
Quote Tweet

Bob001 12th October 2020 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestone (Post 13255013)
....
I'm not sure if it is the same in the US as here in Belgium, but a large group of middle tier and high tier employees are mostly doing fine (financially). There are of course many people who suffered financially or have been made redundant, but it wouldn't surprise me if in Belgium at least 56% are economically better off than four years ago. Mentally, of course not.

Belgium and the rest of Europe have much stronger social safety nets than the U.S., and basic anti-covid measures like wearing masks are not political flashpoints. Americans who are able to work at home for the same pay probably haven't suffered much. But many, many people aren't able to do that. They either lose their jobs or keep working under potentially dangerous conditions. And in the U.S., unemployment benefits are usually pretty limited, and the first thing that happens when you lose your job is you lose your health insurance. Many Americans are going to pay a high price for a long time.

Ladewig 12th October 2020 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13254962)
Trump Tweets

The Democrats are very proud!
Quote Tweet

Tony Shaffer
@T_S_P_O_O_K_Y
· Sep 29
Yep 3 Supreme Court Justices & 3 Nobel Peace Prize nominations...
Hmmm...I'd say this is pretty darn good...
The Left is upset that @realDonaldTrump has not started any new wars...
The never Trumpers are upset that he has lived up to his campaign promises...
Strange times... twitter.com/realDonaldTrum…

Threee SCOTUS justices die when there is a Republican President and a Republican Senate. Im sure why that is considered “pretty darn good.” Trump didn’t cause their deaths and no real skill was required to replace them.

...............
Normal presidents: I feel honored to be placed in such great company.

President Trump: I didn’t get enough press coverage.

Segnosaur 12th October 2020 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladewig (Post 13255153)
Threee SCOTUS justices die when there is a Republican President and a Republican Senate. Im sure why that is considered “pretty darn good.” Trump didn’t cause their deaths and no real skill was required to replace them.

And not only that... It should be noted that Stubby Mcbonespur's picks seem to ha be been so problematic that it might just cost the republicans the senate. (Susan Collins' popularity took a dive after she voted to confirm drunky mcrapeface.)

Had trump handled it better, perhaps fewer woman would be switching from trump to Biden.


Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

JoeMorgue 12th October 2020 06:18 AM

Yeah and none of that changes the fact that there is now a strongly conservative, even theocratic, bias on the highest court of the land, very likely for the rest of some of our lifetimes.

3 SCOTUS judges is a more than fair trade for even the biggest of Blue Waves we could see in November.

Even if they get curb stomped this election like a Hitler Pinata at a Mossad convention the Republicans will get the Senate back sooner or later. The Republicans will get the Presidency back sooner or later. The Democrats will not, without major rework of the whole system, get SCOTUS back anytime real soon.

jnelso99 12th October 2020 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13255127)
Trump Tweets
These are Biden fools. ANTIFA RADICALS. Get them FBI, and get them now!

Taking advantage of fools. Law & Order! Portland, call in the Feds!

Put these animals in jail, now. The Radical Left only knows how to take advantage of very dumb “leadership” fools. This is Biden! Law & Order!

The Radical Left fools in Portland don’t want any help from real Law Enforcement which we will provide instantaneously. Vote!
Quote Tweet

Looks like someone learned a new word.

Segnosaur 12th October 2020 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13255162)
Yeah and none of that changes the fact that there is now a strongly conservative, even theocratic, bias on the highest court of the land, very likely for the rest of some of our lifetimes.

3 SCOTUS judges is a more than fair trade for even the biggest of Blue Waves we could see in November.

Even if they get curb stomped this election like a Hitler Pinata at a Mossad convention the Republicans will get the Senate back sooner or later. The Republicans will get the Presidency back sooner or later. The Democrats will not, without major rework of the whole system, get SCOTUS back anytime real soon.

Unless of course democrats get complete control of Congress and the white house and use it to expand the supreme Court.

Furthermore, if they really want to play hardball (which I think they should) they can add Puerto Rico (and perhaps Washington) as new states, making it harder for republicans to take the senate in the near future, thus giving more control over judicial nominations for several terms.

And the republicans have a very unfavourable senate election map in the 2022 midterms.

ETA : plus we are talking about Trump's accomplishments... Yes conservative judges were the goal of the republicans, but I am sure if given a choice they would have preferred conservative judges+a senate majority over conservative judges+senate minority. If trump had handled it better they might have had the former, now it looks like we are heading towards the latter.

JoeMorgue 12th October 2020 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnelso99 (Post 13255172)
Looks like someone learned a new word.

Please nobody teach him "Grifters."

The Man 12th October 2020 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson (Post 13255014)
There’s a horrible euphemism.

Well played.*








* A not quite as horrible euphemism

Fast Eddie B 12th October 2020 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladewig (Post 13255153)
Trump didn’t cause their deaths...

Assumes facts not in evidence.

Captain_Swoop 12th October 2020 07:05 AM

Trump Tweets

The Republicans are giving the Democrats a great deal of time, which is not mandated, to make their self serving statements relative to our great new future Supreme Court Justice. Personally, I would pull back, approve, and go for STIMULUS for the people!!!

Dread Pirate Roberts 12th October 2020 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13255162)
Yeah and none of that changes the fact that there is now a strongly conservative, even theocratic, bias on the highest court of the land, very likely for the rest of some of our lifetimes.

3 SCOTUS judges is a more than fair trade for even the biggest of Blue Waves we could see in November.

Even if they get curb stomped this election like a Hitler Pinata at a Mossad convention the Republicans will get the Senate back sooner or later. The Republicans will get the Presidency back sooner or later. The Democrats will not, without major rework of the whole system, get SCOTUS back anytime real soon.

You never know. Say the Dems are in power for 2 cycles. 8 years could see Alito and/or Thomas retire or worse.

And, people seem to forget that Breyer is 82. So it's pretty important for the Dems to win this year, or you could easily be looking at a 4th Trump appointee.

The Don 12th October 2020 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Segnosaur (Post 13255176)
ETA : plus we are talking about Trump's accomplishments... Yes conservative judges were the goal of the republicans, but I am sure if given a choice they would have preferred conservative judges+a senate majority over conservative judges+senate minority. If trump had handled it better they might have had the former, now it looks like we are heading towards the latter.

The GOP will try to have hundreds of thousands of postal ballots discounted in key swing states. If they are successful this will not only tip the Presidential election in their favour, but also the Senate races. :(

carlosy 12th October 2020 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timhau (Post 13255106)
"I take no responsibility" once again. That should be his campaign slogan.

More like his philosophy of life or his next book.

Captain_Swoop 12th October 2020 07:52 AM

Trump Retweeted

Sen. Marsha Blackburn
@MarshaBlackburn
Democrats are trying to fundamentally, structurally change the court so they can add liberal justices and use the judiciary as a superlegislature.

Senator Ted Cruz
@SenTedCruz
Today is the 1st day of the confirmation hearing for Amy Coney Barrett, a respected judge who is supremely qualified to serve on #SCOTUS. Unfortunately, Democrats have been working to attack her integrity and smear her reputation. I am fearful we will see more of the same today.

Josh Hawley
@HawleyMO
Judiciary Committee about to gavel in to begin hearings for #AmyConeyBarrett - I hope Democrats today will clearly renounce their attacks on her religious faith and admit these attacks have been wrong and bigoted

Katie Pavlich
@KatiePavlich
Love seeing Judge Barrett's kids in the front row. A big and diverse family!

Captain_Swoop 12th October 2020 07:57 AM

Trump Tweets


He should have been prosecuted for the threats he made to the Justices. Pathetic!
Quote Tweet

Mark R. Levin
@marklevinshow
1. Chuck Schumer threatened two justices a few months ago if they didn’t rule as he demanded. Now he’s insisting that Judge Barrett recuse herself from ruling on Obamacare and any election matters that may come before the Supreme Court.

Captain_Swoop 12th October 2020 08:08 AM

STOCK MARKET UP BIG!

Remember, I wouldn’t be President now had Obama and Biden properly done their job. The fact is, they were TERRIBLE!!!

See you in Sanford, Florida, tonight for a Big Rally. Covered Live on @OANN, @newsmax and @cspan. Enjoy!!!

The Man 12th October 2020 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13255188)
Trump Tweets

The Republicans are giving the Democrats a great deal of time, which is not mandated, to make their self serving statements relative to our great new future Supreme Court Justice. Personally, I would pull back, approve, and go for STIMULUS for the people!!!

Pish posh, why even bother with confirmations anyway?!?

The Man 12th October 2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 13255191)
The GOP will try to have hundreds of thousands of postal ballots discounted in key swing states. If they are successful this will not only tip the Presidential election in their favour, but also the Senate races. :(

Don't forget about state and local election, the key to being able to mess with elections in the first place.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-22, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.