International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Marjorie Taylor Greene thread. (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347945)

jimbob 25th April 2021 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13463353)
I hope AOC does accept.

Occasio-Cortez comes prepared - armed with facts, figures, and a deep technical understanding of the ecology and the economics of the Green New Deal... MTG on the other hand took four days to read a 14-page document.

AOC will utterly demolish and humiliate Taylor-Greene... she will tear the "Jewish Space Lasers" idiot to shreds. MTG's only chance of coping will be to shout everything down and play pigeon chess. To that end, AOC will have to insist on some rules, for example a moderator who can turn off the debater's microphones if they won't shut up.

It reminds me somewhat of one of Dara O Briain's famous quips - AOC is the Professor of Dentistry, and MTG is the eejit who removes teeth with a string and a door.


Given your avatar, I was reminded of the dentist in this scene.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Shadowdweller 25th April 2021 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13463353)
I hope AOC does accept.

Occasio-Cortez comes prepared - armed with facts, figures, and a deep technical understanding of the ecology and the economics of the Green New Deal... MTG on the other hand took four days to read a 14-page document.

AOC will utterly demolish and humiliate Taylor-Greene... she will tear the "Jewish Space Lasers" idiot to shreds. MTG's only chance of coping will be to shout everything down and play pigeon chess. To that end, AOC will have to insist on some rules, for example a moderator who can turn off the debater's microphones if they won't shut up.

It reminds me somewhat of one of Dara O Briain's famous quips - AOC is the Professor of Dentistry, and MTG is the eejit who removes teeth with a string and a door.

I hope AOC continues devoting her energy to campaigning and legislating instead. A debate with a fern or species of nail fungus would be more productive and persuasive than a debate with MTG.

MRC_Hans 25th April 2021 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller (Post 13463669)
I hope AOC continues devoting her energy to campaigning and legislating instead. A debate with a fern or species of nail fungus would be more productive and persuasive than a debate with MTG.

Agreed.
Never wrestle with pigs. ...

Hans

smartcooky 25th April 2021 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 13463645)
Given your avatar, I was reminded of the dentist in this scene.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Yup... I knew EXACTLY what that clip would be before I opened it!! :thumbsup:

RolandRat 25th April 2021 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans (Post 13463672)
Agreed.
Never wrestle with pigs. ...

Hans

Absolutely. There is nothing to win in a debate with Greene. You debate people like that with facts and they will respond with idiocy, insults and conspiracy theories, then flounce off and declare themselves the winner. And their idiot followers will believe them.

Norman Alexander 25th April 2021 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RolandRat (Post 13463727)
Absolutely. There is nothing to win in a debate with Greene. You debate people like that with facts and they will respond with idiocy, insults and conspiracy theories, then flounce off and declare themselves the winner. And their idiot followers will believe them.

Leaving a trail of upturned pigeon-pooped chessboards behind them.

newyorkguy 25th April 2021 06:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Greene is relentless with the spin. Tuesday night she tweeted that Washington streets were deserted as a heavy police presence patrolled the city. Why? The Derek Chauvin verdict and fears the "domestic terrorist group" BLM were about to stage violent riots.

This plays into her base's prejudices and her supporters undoubtedly accept it -- and will endlessly repeat it to one another -- but not surprisingly, it wasn't true.
Quote:

Rep. Mark Pocan (D-WI) tweeted, Im in DC like @mtgreenee & she is either the most obtuse person elected to Congress or the biggest liar. People are out & about on a warm night (so loud by me its a bit hard to get to sleep) & there is no more police presence than usual. Let the lies rest, Q1. The Beast report link
But if the streets weren't deserted, if the police presence was no more than on any other night, how does Greene rationalize lying about it? Undoubtedly, it's part of her effort to establish her 'brand' and solidify her base. It also has to do with fundraising, attracting donors. Below is a quote from her hometown newspaper, the Rome Georgia News-Tribune.
Quote:

Eric Wilson, a digital strategist who has advised Sen. Marco Rubio and the National Republican Senatorial Committee [said], For candidates like Marjorie Taylor Greene and Josh Hawley, who have largely been shunned by traditional corporate donors who are frequently the mainstays for elected officials, especially in off years, they have no choice but to pursue grassroots fundraising. And in order for that to work, they have to continue to make more noise. It is a feedback loop in that regard. News-Tribune link
In looking at Greene's Twitter account she appears to have removed this particular tweet (like she has done with tweets so many times before) but of course, not before someone screen capped it. ;)

newyorkguy 25th April 2021 07:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RolandRat (Post 13463727)
...There is nothing to win in a debate with Greene...

I agree. There is no reason to debate this issue with Marjorie Greene. Her only purpose would be to appeal to her base by publicly insulting and ridiculing AOC. That's all she is looking for (and AOC undoubtedly knows it). It's not like Greene has a plan of her own that she believes would be more effective. She has no plan, only 'talking points.'

I read some time ago an interview with a scientist who is working on developing computers with artificial intelligence. At one point the conversation veered off into climate change. The scientist -- who also has a degree in biology and has worked in that field -- said he thought 'the window' on avoiding future catastrophe had closed, it was already too late. That he fully expects by the end of this century extreme weather will end humankind's time on this planet. He said the problem that had emerged was, that while the scientific community had reached consensus the political community had proven unable to do so. He is convinced that flaw -- politicians who reject science and refuse to plan for the long term -- has already doomed humankind. He could have been talking about you-know-who.

phiwum 25th April 2021 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13463353)
I hope AOC does accept.

Occasio-Cortez comes prepared - armed with facts, figures, and a deep technical understanding of the ecology and the economics of the Green New Deal... MTG on the other hand took four days to read a 14-page document.

AOC will utterly demolish and humiliate Taylor-Greene... she will tear the "Jewish Space Lasers" idiot to shreds. MTG's only chance of coping will be to shout everything down and play pigeon chess. To that end, AOC will have to insist on some rules, for example a moderator who can turn off the debater's microphones if they won't shut up.

It reminds me somewhat of one of Dara O Briain's famous quips - AOC is the Professor of Dentistry, and MTG is the eejit who removes teeth with a string and a door.

Ah, you're so hopelessly optimistic.

Sure, on merits, AOC (who I don't particularly respect) will dominate. She does actually understand the issues. But that wouldn't matter, because those who admire MTG will conclude that she owned AOC. What good do facts do? What matters is an attack that already confirms one's preconceptions: AOC wants to turn us socialist and MTG is fighting the good fight.

kookbreaker 25th April 2021 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkguy (Post 13463733)
Greene is relentless with the spin. Tuesday night she tweeted that Washington streets were deserted as a heavy police presence patrolled the city. Why? The Derek Chauvin verdict and fears the "domestic terrorist group" BLM were about to stage violent riots.

This plays into her base's prejudices and her supporters undoubtedly accept it -- and will endlessly repeat it to one another -- but not surprisingly, it wasn't true.


But if the streets weren't deserted, if the police presence was no more than on any other night, how does Greene rationalize lying about it? Undoubtedly, it's part of her effort to establish her 'brand' and solidify her base. It also has to do with fundraising, attracting donors. Below is a quote from her hometown newspaper, the Rome Georgia News-Tribune.


In looking at Greene's Twitter account she appears to have removed this particular tweet (like she has done with tweets so many times before) but of course, not before someone screen capped it. ;)

Let us recall that in th GQP narrative the city of Portland was entirely on fire. Completely obliterated by rioting BLM and is still on fire to this day.

Belz... 25th April 2021 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkguy (Post 13463749)
I read some time ago an interview with a scientist who is working on developing computers with artificial intelligence. At one point the conversation veered off into climate change. The scientist -- who also has a degree in biology and has worked in that field -- said he thought 'the window' on avoiding future catastrophe had closed, it was already too late. That he fully expects by the end of this century extreme weather will end humankind's time on this planet. He said the problem that had emerged was, that while the scientific community had reached consensus the political community had proven unable to do so. He is convinced that flaw -- politicians who reject science and refuse to plan for the long term -- has already doomed humankind. He could have been talking about you-know-who.

Unfortunately he might be right. I don't think the species is going to disappear, but I don't expect we're going to mitigate climate change much, and there's going to be a "correction" in the ecosystem (95% reduction in population, loss of civilisation infrastructure, migrations, etc.)

I'd rather we manage to make it work, but in the end things will balance out as they will.

dudalb 25th April 2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13463353)
I hope AOC does accept.

Occasio-Cortez comes prepared - armed with facts, figures, and a deep technical understanding of the ecology and the economics of the Green New Deal... MTG on the other hand took four days to read a 14-page document.

AOC will utterly demolish and humiliate Taylor-Greene... she will tear the "Jewish Space Lasers" idiot to shreds. MTG's only chance of coping will be to shout everything down and play pigeon chess. To that end, AOC will have to insist on some rules, for example a moderator who can turn off the debater's microphones if they won't shut up.

It reminds me somewhat of one of Dara O Briain's famous quips - AOC is the Professor of Dentistry, and MTG is the eejit who removes teeth with a string and a door.

I don't. No reason for AOC...whom incidently I am not a supporter of...to get into the gutter with MTG is a lame marketing scheme.

dudalb 25th April 2021 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans (Post 13463672)
Agreed.
Never wrestle with pigs. ...

Hans

"Never wrestle with a pig.You just get dirty and the pig likes it"

Lazarus Long. "Time Enough For Love".

MRC_Hans 25th April 2021 01:08 PM

Precisely. And so very apt, in this case.

I think many of us make this mistake: We think that sober facts can overcome deliberate nonsense. If only that were true, the world would be a MUCH better place.

Hans

Stacyhs 25th April 2021 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RolandRat (Post 13463727)
Absolutely. There is nothing to win in a debate with Greene. You debate people like that with facts and they will respond with idiocy, insults and conspiracy theories, then flounce off and declare themselves the winner. And their idiot followers will believe them.

Agreed. Case in point: the Clinton-Trump debates. Try reading the comment section in articles from the C-T debates where every credible reviewer gave the debates to Clinton.



http://www.internationalskeptics.com...5d356156cd.jpg

Blue Mountain 25th April 2021 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13463935)
"Never wrestle with a pig.You just get dirty and the pig likes it"

Lazarus Long. "Time Enough For Love".

There's also "Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." (Often attributed to Mark Twain, but its origins are murky.)

eerok 25th April 2021 07:21 PM

Yeah, any debate with MTG would be nothing more than a stunt. All the GOP has these days are stunts. It's pathetic.

gypsyjackson 25th April 2021 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eerok (Post 13464153)
Yeah, any debate with MTG would be nothing more than a stunt. All the GOP has these days are stunts. It's pathetic.

Good to see rhyming slang has made its way across the pond.

eerok 25th April 2021 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson (Post 13464162)
Good to see rhyming slang has made its way across the pond.

:thumbsup:

abaddon 25th April 2021 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eerok (Post 13464153)
Yeah, any debate with MTG would be nothing more than a stunt. All the GOP has these days are stunts. It's pathetic.

You left out the "cupid" term in there.

jimbob 26th April 2021 03:44 AM

All in the Best Possible Taste.

And another person as naturally blonde as MTG.

pgwenthold 26th April 2021 05:43 AM

AOC's response should be simple:

"Our goal is to turn the objectives of the Green New Deal into legislation that benefits all Americans. I am happy to debate it as it proceeds through the process of becoming law, from when it is introduced into House committees and then on to the floor. Although Rep. Greene is not part of any committees and therefore won't be able to participate in any of the committee discussions, she is welcome to contribute to the debate on the House floor."

JoeMorgue 26th April 2021 05:51 AM

It's good to see the "Debate me you coward! Why won't you have a cIviL dEBate with me about my stupid evil insanity!" tactic is yet another internet troll tactic that has made it to Congress.

Belz... 26th April 2021 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13464330)
It's good to see the "Debate me you coward! Why won't you have a cIviL dEBate with me about my stupid evil insanity!" tactic is yet another internet troll tactic that has made it to Congress.

Hence my thread about democracy... but then it was Bobbed.

ponderingturtle 26th April 2021 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13462868)
You don't think there is a continuum between protest and rioting?

And how is calling for protestors to get more confrontational calling for rioting? Clearly any calling at all for protest and indeed any protest at all is really just laying the groundwork for riots.

And these are the bad kind of riots, not the fun kind like when your sportsball team wins or there are pumpkins.

dudalb 26th April 2021 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans (Post 13463946)
Precisely. And so very apt, in this case.

I think many of us make this mistake: We think that sober facts can overcome deliberate nonsense. If only that were true, the world would be a MUCH better place.

Hans

I am still puzzled why so many otherwise intelligent people on this site continually engage in long debates with very obvious trolls,and then complain how trolls are ruining the site.
This site would be better if more people obeyed the simple rule "Don't Feed The Trolls".

JoeMorgue 26th April 2021 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13464529)
I am still puzzled why so many otherwise intelligent people on this site continually engage in long debates with very obvious trolls,and then complain how trolls are ruining the site.
This site would be better if more people obeyed the simple rule "Don't Feed The Trolls".

*Head desk*

BECAUSE THAT'S WHY THE TROLLS ARE NOW IN CONGRESS!

If you ignore trolls, they don't cease to exist, they start doing things you can't ignore.

I literally don't know how history can teach us this lesson clearer.

mgidm86 26th April 2021 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13464529)
I am still puzzled why so many otherwise intelligent people on this site continually engage in long debates with very obvious trolls,and then complain how trolls are ruining the site.
This site would be better if more people obeyed the simple rule "Don't Feed The Trolls".

Absolutely! So tired of seeing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13464532)
*Head desk*

BECAUSE THAT'S WHY THE TROLLS ARE NOW IN CONGRESS!

If you ignore trolls, they don't cease to exist, they start doing things you can't ignore.

I literally don't know how history can teach us this lesson clearer.


We are talking about this site. No good comes from arguing with a troll.

Minoosh 26th April 2021 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elagabalus (Post 13458568)
And that's why you need to swallow your pride, get a Disqus account and join us over at the OANN comment section. We're taking the fight to them-and we're winning ... *

Just curious, do you do this sober?

Belz... 26th April 2021 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgidm86 (Post 13464930)
No good comes from arguing with a troll.

Entertainment is good.

Jim_MDP 26th April 2021 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13460839)
I am a litle scared that the US is starting to resemble Spain right before it's civil war.

Scared? You've been posting your wet dreams for an armed insurrection here for 18 months.
Cold feet now?

Jim_MDP 26th April 2021 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minoosh (Post 13464943)
Just curious, do you do this sober?

Seeing his post, I popped in to the comments of the then COVID related top story.
15 minutes, a hundred or so posts... I need a shower. Better make it a double. [emoji3525]

Susheel 26th April 2021 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP (Post 13464971)
Scared? You've been posting your wet dreams for an armed insurrection here for 18 months.
Cold feet now?

That's what I have been wondering.

Belz... 27th April 2021 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP (Post 13464971)
Scared? You've been posting your wet dreams for an armed insurrection here for 18 months.
Cold feet now?

He wasn't advocating for said war. He's been expressing his fears all along, and he made that clear.

autumn1971 27th April 2021 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 13465517)
He wasn't advocating for said war. He's been expressing his fears all along, and he made that clear.

Yup. Optimistic pessimism.

JoeMorgue 27th April 2021 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 13465517)
He wasn't advocating for said war. He's been expressing his fears all along, and he made that clear.

And Br'er Rabbit made it VERY clear he didn't want to get thrown in the Briar Patch as well.

I'd buy it every time he mentions it he doesn't sound like he's 3 seconds from orgasm.

ponderingturtle 27th April 2021 12:23 PM

Still waiting on the non confrontational protests.

dudalb 27th April 2021 01:04 PM

I think the idea that some kind of domestic armed conflict is impossbiel should have died with Jan.6th.

dudalb 27th April 2021 01:07 PM

Problem is no one wants to actually learn how to be legislator ..the nuts and bolts of doing the job...anymore. Too many want the leadership after just a few months in office.
Being a "backbencher: is not fun, but its' how you learn the job.
MTG seems uninterested in actually doing the job of a congressperson, but jus tin building her brand and, after a couple of terms, departing to get a lucrative job in right wing media.

Belz... 27th April 2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13465665)
And Br'er Rabbit made it VERY clear he didn't want to get thrown in the Briar Patch as well.

I'd buy it every time he mentions it he doesn't sound like he's 3 seconds from orgasm.

You know as well as I do that whatever something you're reading on the internet "sounds" like, it's you making the sound.

If you think dudalb wants a civil war in his own country, I think you're the one being unrealistic. He can correct me if I'm mistaken.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2015-22, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.