International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Non-USA & General Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   General UK politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346868)

The Don 16th February 2021 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13397029)
The government has announced plans for a "free speech champion" to ensure universities in England do not stifle freedom of speech and expression.





https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-55995979

Will the role be filled by Nigel Farage or Peter Hitchins ? :rolleyes:

Airfix 16th February 2021 04:39 AM

Laurence Fox....?

(not an endorsement btw).

Darat 20th February 2021 09:00 AM

Scottish “independence” pretty much guaranteed.

“…. Mr Gove, who is Scottish, is widely expected to take a role leading on the Union …”

Just need to set the date.

Captain_Swoop 21st February 2021 08:57 AM

Boris Johnson has been making the civil service actually draw up plans for a roundabout under the Isle of Man with 4 tunnels connecting Stranraer, Belfast, Liverpool and Heysham under the sea.

It is understood Boris insisted on research for this plan after officials informed him that his previous idea - a direct tunnel from Stranraer to Larne - would be impossible due to the almost 2million tonnes of army munitions dumped in Beauforts Dyke over the last 80 years.

One of the tunnels would need to be 3 times longer than the longest tunnel ever constructed.

Graphic of the proposed tunnels in link from Times feature

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/sta...587206/photo/1

Darat 21st February 2021 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13404404)
Boris Johnson has been making the civil service actually draw up plans for a roundabout under the Isle of Man with 4 tunnels connecting Stranraer, Belfast, Liverpool and Heysham under the sea.

It is understood Boris insisted on research for this plan after officials informed him that his previous idea - a direct tunnel from Stranraer to Larne - would be impossible due to the almost 2million tonnes of army munitions dumped in Beauforts Dyke over the last 80 years.

One of the tunnels would need to be 3 times longer than the longest tunnel ever constructed.

Graphic of the proposed tunnels in link from Times feature

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/sta...587206/photo/1

What do you have against unfeasible schemes to siphon money to his mates?

He’s been coming up with them for years: Failed London Garden Bridge project cost £53m http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47228698

zooterkin 21st February 2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13404404)
Boris Johnson has been making the civil service actually draw up plans for a roundabout under the Isle of Man with 4 tunnels connecting Stranraer, Belfast, Liverpool and Heysham under the sea.

It is understood Boris insisted on research for this plan after officials informed him that his previous idea - a direct tunnel from Stranraer to Larne - would be impossible due to the almost 2million tonnes of army munitions dumped in Beauforts Dyke over the last 80 years.

One of the tunnels would need to be 3 times longer than the longest tunnel ever constructed.

Graphic of the proposed tunnels in link from Times feature

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/sta...587206/photo/1

It's Trumpian misdirection. Funny it should come out when Hancock loses his case about not publishing procurement information on time. Or is there something else Boris wants to hide?

zooterkin 21st February 2021 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 13404407)
What do you have against unfeasible schemes to siphon money to his mates?

He’s been coming up with them for years: Failed London Garden Bridge project cost £53m http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47228698

And the Thames Estuary island replacement for Heathrow.

catsmate 21st February 2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13404404)
Boris Johnson has been making the civil service actually draw up plans for a roundabout under the Isle of Man with 4 tunnels connecting Stranraer, Belfast, Liverpool and Heysham under the sea.

It is understood Boris insisted on research for this plan after officials informed him that his previous idea - a direct tunnel from Stranraer to Larne - would be impossible due to the almost 2million tonnes of army munitions dumped in Beauforts Dyke over the last 80 years.

One of the tunnels would need to be 3 times longer than the longest tunnel ever constructed.

Graphic of the proposed tunnels in link from Times feature

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/sta...587206/photo/1

To be fair it's actually no-more than a million-and-a-half tonnes at most.

And what's the worst that could happen? It's not like the last time the area was disturbed thousands of phosphorous bombs were washed ashore or anything.

Oh, wait.... :rolleyes:

Captain_Swoop 21st February 2021 01:55 PM

People are arguing that the Isle of man would never let the govt build a tunnel etc because they are the property of the Crown and the Queen is 'Lord of man' and they have their own parliament.

Where that falls down is Westminster is 'supreme' and the British Govt is not shy about ignoring or breaking inconvenient treaties and laws.
If IOM wasn't a convenient local tax haven Tynwald would have gone years ago.

P.J. Denyer 21st February 2021 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13404723)
People are arguing that the Isle of man would never let the govt build a tunnel etc because they are the property of the Crown and the Queen is 'Lord of man' and they have their own parliament.

Where that falls down is Westminster is 'supreme' and the British Govt is not shy about ignoring or breaking inconvenient treaties and laws.
If IOM wasn't a convenient local tax haven Tynwald would have gone years ago.

Isn't that like arguing that a move is illegal under the rules of Quiddich? I mean it might be technically correct, but the fact that flying broomsticks don't exist is a greater practical problem.

Airfix 21st February 2021 03:16 PM

Ferrys work, keep things as they are with regards to the sea crossing.

Darat 27th February 2021 05:22 AM

And under the “Oh what a surprise” column this month we have:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...health-insurer

…. Merger with Centene Corp covers 500,000 patients fuelling calls for inquiry into ‘NHS privatisation by stealth……



“… One of the UK’s biggest GP practice operators has quietly passed into the hands of the US health insurance group Centene Corporation, prompting calls for an official investigation into what campaigners claim is “privatisation of the NHS by stealth”.
…”
This is exactly what the Tories wanted.

Aber 28th February 2021 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 13410719)
“… One of the UK’s biggest GP practice operators has quietly passed into the hands of the US health insurance group Centene Corporation, prompting calls for an official investigation into what campaigners claim is “privatisation of the NHS by stealth”.
…”[/indent]

A privately owned GP practice has had a change of owners. This has nothing to to do with "privatisation".

Darat 28th February 2021 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aber (Post 13411659)
A privately owned GP practice has had a change of owners. This has nothing to to do with "privatisation".

Pull the other one, it’s got bells on it!

Captain_Swoop 2nd March 2021 02:18 PM

People would blow Universal Basic Income on 'lots of drugs', top Tory claims

Shaun Bailey, the Tory candidate for London mayor, was accused of 'contempt' for families with his remarks on a flat payment for all citizens
mirror.co.uk

P.J. Denyer 2nd March 2021 02:23 PM

I can only imagine Shaun Bailey was the answer to the question "How do we make Zac Goldsmith look good?"

Pixel42 2nd March 2021 10:16 PM

Shaun Bailey should stop judging other people by himself.

Darat 4th March 2021 08:35 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-philip-rutnam

“6 figure” settlement for one of the victims of the Home Secretary, I am sure she still has the full confidence of the PM. I mean so your person who is in charge of the police and you know enforcement of the laws of the land has cost the tax payer hundreds of thousands of pounds because she is a bully and can’t manage her staff in an effective manner, why on earth should she be sacked?

Captain_Swoop 4th March 2021 09:13 AM

Can Priti Patel personally afford that or are taxpayers picking up the bill??

If she isn't guilty of bullying, why are my taxes being forked out?

Carrot Flower King 4th March 2021 09:34 AM

^ And why the **** should I, or any other tax payer, be footing the bill for Patel's poor and illegal behaviour anyway?

Vicarious liability seems to be applied very selectively in the UK...

catsmate 4th March 2021 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King (Post 13415773)
^ And why the **** should I, or any other tax payer, be footing the bill for Patel's poor and illegal behaviour anyway?

Vicarious liability seems to be applied very selectively in the UK...

Because, as Airfix maintains, you elected her.

Wudang 4th March 2021 09:55 AM

From James O'Brien on twitter
Quote:

How far into Scotland do right-wing journalists have to stray before they suddenly start caring about ministerial codes?

Vixen 4th March 2021 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 13415701)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-philip-rutnam

“6 figure” settlement for one of the victims of the Home Secretary, I am sure she still has the full confidence of the PM. I mean so your person who is in charge of the police and you know enforcement of the laws of the land has cost the tax payer hundreds of thousands of pounds because she is a bully and can’t manage her staff in an effective manner, why on earth should she be sacked?

Unfortunately the UK now has a hard right government who sees Civil Servants and Judges as obstacles to their aims. It's no secret it wants to dismantle the power of the courts and the top civil servants. Whilst these are a stabilising force in British society insofar their official positions remain unchanged long after the incumbent government has gone. Johnson is hungry for centralised control in that he baulked at the Chancellor of the Exchequer traditionally having independent aides from the Prime Minister, notwithstanding their constant opposing aims actually help to provide for moderation and neutrality. As an example, today Johnson is saying, '**** the EU agreement on Northern Ireland we are going to breach it for the next six months'. There was a time when your word was you bond. Not with this government! The findings of Select Committees and independent panels investigating breaches of ministerial codes can be binned by Mr. Johnson as a darned inconvenience for what does he care about protocols, conventions, manners, ethics or even democracy. '**** You!' is Johnson's leit motif.

The legal costs and payout are likely to be funded by Indemnity insurance, not the tax-payers. The sum is only six-figures because it represents Rutnam's lost earnings up to retirement, and then a final salary pension for life, calculated by actuarials as his expected life span. Then interest is added on. So, a six-figure sum is not that eye-brow raising.

Carrot Flower King 4th March 2021 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wudang (Post 13415811)
From James O'Brien on twitter

I'd say Coldstream; they're thoroughly taken with it, to the point of frothing at the mouth fervour, if they get as far as Rolfe's abode.

Carrot Flower King 4th March 2021 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catsmate (Post 13415806)
Because, as Airfix maintains, you elected her.

Did not!

******* Tory voters can cough up for her, especially those eejits in Witham.

And don't try pinning Anne-Marie Sodding Trevelyan on me.

GlennB 4th March 2021 11:46 AM

Meanwhile, it seems that NHS staff are being promised a bounteous 1% pay rise in 2022. I hope they're grateful!

ffs.

Vixen 4th March 2021 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennB (Post 13415920)
Meanwhile, it seems that NHS staff are being promised a bounteous 1% pay rise in 2022. I hope they're grateful!

ffs.

Woo-hoo! They can now afford one of Matthew Hancock's 'Care' badges.

Darat 4th March 2021 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennB (Post 13415920)
Meanwhile, it seems that NHS staff are being promised a bounteous 1% pay rise in 2022. I hope they're grateful!

ffs.

As long as he can make cuts of about $17 billion from the spending plans he had prior to the first lockdown.

We are going to look back on austerity as a time when money fell from the heavens.

Aber 4th March 2021 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennB (Post 13415920)
Meanwhile, it seems that NHS staff are being promised a bounteous 1% pay rise in 2022.

Higher than the current inflation, plus spinal pay rate increase of perhaps 2-3%.

3point14 4th March 2021 12:21 PM

You think they'd be reasonable and just settle for another round of applause...

Darat 4th March 2021 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aber (Post 13415971)
Higher than the current inflation, plus spinal pay rate increase of perhaps 2-3%.

And?

GlennB 4th March 2021 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aber (Post 13415971)
Higher than the current inflation, plus spinal pay rate increase of perhaps 2-3%.

Projected inflation:
2022 1.5%
2023 1.8%
2024 1.9%

Carrot Flower King 4th March 2021 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aber (Post 13415971)
Higher than the current inflation, plus spinal pay rate increase of perhaps 2-3%.

You will, of course, be aware of the numbers of NHS trusts which have completely manipultated the Agenda for Change agreement to make automatic progression up a scale pretty much a thing of the past? Annual increments in many places are no longer automatic, as per agreements, but have become dependent on things solely under the control of management.

Source of information: a payroll officer in one of the largest NHS payroll departments, paying numerous trusts across the country.

Captain_Swoop 5th March 2021 04:01 AM

Boris Johnson’s makeover of Number 10 will reportedly cost up to £200,000.
Priti Patel’s legal settlement is being reported at £340,000.

Nurses are getting a pay rise of £3.50 a week.

Aber 5th March 2021 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 13415977)
And?

Almost all NHS staff will have a pay increase of 2-3% above inflation (and will do most years) and a final salary pension scheme.

Those in the private sector are much more likely to be furloughed or lose their jobs.

Carrot Flower King 5th March 2021 10:29 AM

^ You clearly know how much the NHS pension scheme has been ****** over in the last decade? And that for all the years I could find figures for (published accounts are great) more money was contributed to the scheme than was drawn in pensions: what happened to that? Presumably it went off to the Treasury's coffers, making our superann contributions essentially a stealth tax.

And your 2-3% figure has to assume automatic progression up a scale (the so-called annual increment), which has not existed in practice for a whole heap of people (figures hard to come by as it is the sort of thing trusts are not required to collate and publish, nor even submit to the DoH).

And comparisons with the privates sector fall into false equivalence and the like, as there is not a private sector equivalent (thinks: why did Philly Windsor have to be shifted from that lovely private hospital to Bart's?).

Darat 5th March 2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aber (Post 13416708)
Almost all NHS staff will have a pay increase of 2-3% above inflation (and will do most years) and a final salary pension scheme.

Those in the private sector are much more likely to be furloughed or lose their jobs.

Strange then that the Chancellor didn’t mention that…. Perhaps you should let him know he got his sums wrong?

GlennB 5th March 2021 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aber (Post 13416708)
Almost all NHS staff will have a pay increase of 2-3% above inflation (and will do most years) and a final salary pension scheme.

:confused:

That would make the pay increase 3-4% for a ~1% current rate of inflation, when the increase is clearly 1%. Please explain.

Wudang 5th March 2021 11:42 AM

https://www.health.org.uk/news-and-c...-in-real-terms


Quote:

‘Times have been tough across the economy over the last decade but when it comes to pay NHS staff have fared much worse than others. ONS weekly earnings data show average earnings across all sectors in the economy were 3% higher in 2019/20 than in 2011/12, compared with a 2% decrease for NHS staff.

Carrot Flower King 6th March 2021 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennB (Post 13417013)
:confused:

That would make the pay increase 3-4% for a ~1% current rate of inflation, when the increase is clearly 1%. Please explain.

Aber is working on the old, long gone, idea that all NHS staff have an automatic move up their pay band, the old annual increment. This has not been a given for all staff some time and the systems in place around this are routinely manipulated by management or made the subject of "local deals", which were never intended to be part of national NHS pay arrangements, but have been allowed to sneak in by the DoH, especially since 2010, and frequently are put in place without full discussion with staff (this certainly happened in 2 major acute trusts round here - source: one of the peoole who paid the staff of those trusts while working for one of them, who just happens to be through in the next room).

P.J. Denyer 6th March 2021 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aber (Post 13416708)
Almost all NHS staff will have a pay increase of 2-3% above inflation (and will do most years) and a final salary pension scheme.

Those in the private sector are much more likely to be furloughed or lose their jobs.

Even if we take this as fact without taking into account how much public sector pensions have been depreciated, why is the problem that they get them rather than that the rest of us, who might once have expected similar, don't?

GlennB 6th March 2021 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King (Post 13417794)
Aber is working on the old, long gone, idea that all NHS staff have an automatic move up their pay band, the old annual increment. This has not been a given for all staff some time and the systems in place around this are routinely manipulated by management or made the subject of "local deals", which were never intended to be part of national NHS pay arrangements, but have been allowed to sneak in by the DoH, especially since 2010, and frequently are put in place without full discussion with staff (this certainly happened in 2 major acute trusts round here - source: one of the peoole who paid the staff of those trusts while working for one of them, who just happens to be through in the next room).

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

Aber 7th March 2021 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer (Post 13418112)
Even if we take this as fact without taking into account how much public sector pensions have been depreciated, why is the problem that they get them rather than that the rest of us, who might once have expected similar, don't?

Because of how much they cost. I'm involved in a third sector organisation where pension contributions are now 20%+ of salaries for those who were TUPE'd across from the public sector.

Full disclosure - I'm a member of an LGPS pension scheme where IIRC I can take full pension if my job is restructured after the age of 55.

Darat 7th March 2021 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aber (Post 13418305)
Because of how much they cost. I'm involved in a third sector organisation where pension contributions are now 20%+ of salaries for those who were TUPE'd across from the public sector.

Full disclosure - I'm a member of an LGPS pension scheme where IIRC I can take full pension if my job is restructured after the age of 55.

The “solution” to that is to make all employers make adequate payments into pension schemes, that we’ve let the private sector get away with externalising their costs isn’t a reason for the public service to lose their pension schemes. (Albeit that has already happened, look at the prison service for an example of how a good pension has been removed.)

I’ve always held that whilst there is a deficit in a company’s pension scheme no profit can be taken out via dividends or by officers of the company. And if a company can’t afford the pension scheme then it is obviously an unprofitable company and shouldn’t be supported by the tax payers.

gypsyjackson 8th March 2021 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King (Post 13417794)
Aber is working on the old, long gone, idea that all NHS staff have an automatic move up their pay band, the old annual increment. This has not been a given for all staff some time and the systems in place around this are routinely manipulated by management or made the subject of "local deals", which were never intended to be part of national NHS pay arrangements, but have been allowed to sneak in by the DoH, especially since 2010, and frequently are put in place without full discussion with staff (this certainly happened in 2 major acute trusts round here - source: one of the peoole who paid the staff of those trusts while working for one of them, who just happens to be through in the next room).

Yeah, if it’s anything like Defra, that went around 2009. We had zero pay rise for 2 years, then 1% in 2011, 2012, and 2013. So by that point, you’d have had a 3.03% pay increase over what you were getting in 2008. In 2014 they brought in a new system which meant you got 1% if you were a strong performer, 0.5 for adequate, and 0 if on performance management measures. No increment for a long, long time.

There was once a milestone system by which if you had been in the same grade for a certain number of years you got a pay rise bigger than the norm, but I never got close, and I think that went around the same time (2009). I was lucky in that I got a job where I had an allowance to compensate for not being paid overtime, then another where I was posted overseas (it still cost me money, even with some allowances, due to a stingy COLA rate, but that’s a different story).

Captain_Swoop 8th March 2021 05:50 PM

Asylum seekers were housed in cramped and filthy conditions at a military barracks, inspectors have said.

Some of the most vulnerable people were living in a "decrepit" block unfit for habitation at Kent's Napier Barracks.

The Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration and Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Prisons also visited Penally Camp in Pembrokeshire. They said both sites were "run-down".

The Home Office said it had instructed service providers to make improvements.

Ms Patel, who has repeatedly defended the use of Napier, last month said: "This site has previously accommodated our brave soldiers and army personnel. It is an insult to say that it is not good enough for these individuals"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-56325360

Some of the blocks had been empty and disused for years even before the army left.

gypsyjackson 8th March 2021 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13419917)

Ms Patel, who has repeatedly defended the use of Napier, last month said: "This site has previously accommodated our brave soldiers and army personnel. It is an insult to say that it is not good enough for these individuals"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-56325360

Some of the blocks had been empty and disused for years even before the army left.

Does she ever describe them as “people”?

Darat 9th March 2021 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson (Post 13420063)
Does she ever describe them as “people”?

Why would she?

The Don 9th March 2021 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson (Post 13420063)
Does she ever describe them as “people”?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 13420140)
Why would she?

Exactly ! They can't vote, and if they eventually become able to do so, they're unlikely to vote Conservative ;)

Captain_Swoop 9th March 2021 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 13420199)
Pah - only Britain counts, you’ll best remember your place now we are no longer held down by the EU, otherwise we might send an aircraft carrier* to remind you of your place!


*If you could hold on a decade so we can get some planes


They might not be getting them all now.

They are on about cancelling them and going for a new British plane that may be available from 2030.

Apparently it's going to be better and cheaper than the F35.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-22, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.