International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   General Skepticism and The Paranormal (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Merged: A new argument pro Near Death Experiences (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291423)

MaartenVergu 9th April 2015 02:46 PM

A new argument pro Near Death Experiences

I have a new argument pro NDE's:

According to current neuroscience many parts of the brain are involved in the experience of the tunnel, the light, the peaceful feeling, the words 'it's not your time yet' etcetera.
The verbal cortex, the occipital lobes etc. All must be involved.

Chances are low that the sequence of electric activity in the brain of hundreds of people are almost exactly the same in such a way that they have the same sort of experiences.

To have an OBE, to see the tunnel, then the light, then the words: 'it's not your time yet' assumes a certain patern of electric activity in the brain.
It must be a big coincidence that the dying brains of all these people are functioning so well that they have the same sequence and patern of electric activity.

It's also about the ontological status of 'the Light' and 'the Tunnel' when many people have the same experience, independent from each other.

Skeptic Ginger 9th April 2015 02:50 PM

You do know this is not only explicable as people fill in their own blanks with what they know, NDEs in other cultures match their own cultural expectations.

Phenomenology of Near-death Experiences: A Cross-cultural Perspective
Quote:

We compared the various descriptions of NDEs from a phenomenological perspective. There were similarities between particular cultures, which differed from typical western European experiences.
They do hypothesize it's all in the translation.
Quote:

The variability across cultures is most likely to be due to our interpretation and verbalizing of such esoteric events through the filters of language, cultural experiences, religion, education and their influence on our belief systems either shedding influence as an individual variable or more often perhaps by their rich interplay between these factors.
But it still suggests the physical experience is similar, but the interpretation of what one sees and experiences changes depending on one's pre-existing cultural expectations.

I doubt you'd find, "it's not your time yet" the same across cultures.

MaartenVergu 9th April 2015 02:53 PM

Yes, but 'the light', 'the OBE', the tunnel and the lifereview are very common.
in terms of probability: The probability of that happening (this specific sequence of patterns of electric activity in the brain when different parts are involved)
purely by chance is less than one in a billion.

(when you count the amount of neurons and the probability of exactly these patterns of electric activity in the brains of hundreds of people).

Skeptic Ginger 9th April 2015 03:08 PM

I don't think you have a good understanding of the neurobiology of the brain. The tunnel and light are physiological processes. The people one sees and things one hears are from one's memory, like dreaming, but with similar patterns of people's memories.

If you fall asleep with the TV on, you sometimes fit the audio into what you are dreaming. I've found that many times. One strong memory I have from childhood was dreaming I was approaching a barn door with something scratching on the other side of the door. I woke up and my dog was scratching on my bedroom door to come in and sleep on my bed until I got up.

People's dreams sometimes work to make sense of stimuli it continues to receive. If you see a tunnel of light, given circumstances that likely caused the event, it makes logical sense people would interpret the light as heaven and dream about things and people they expect to be there.

MaartenVergu 9th April 2015 03:16 PM

Maybe you know more about the brain then me. But different regions must be involved when this NDE is happening. Occipital lobes, verbal cortex, etc.

The brain must fire a specific network of neurons. So, it's a whole sequence of firing networks. The chances are low that it is almost exaclty this sequence of networks.

The Norseman 9th April 2015 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maartenn100 (Post 10582413)
Yes, but 'the light', 'the OBE', the tunnel and the lifereview are very common.
in terms of probability: The probability of that happening (this specific sequence of patterns of electric activity in the brain when different parts are involved)
purely by chance is less than one in a billion.

(when you count the amount of neurons and the probability of exactly these patterns of electric activity in the brains of hundreds of people).

Please show your work. How did you arrive at this number? Also, please define what you mean by "purely by chance".

ETA: Also, let's say that this probability will happen one in a billion -- with seven billion people on the planet, wouldn't this mean that your rare occurrence happened seven times?

MaartenVergu 9th April 2015 03:29 PM

No, I have no 'work', The Norseman. But I studied something about the brain. i know that different parts of the brain must be involved for such complex experiences like NDE's, according to modern neuroscience.

Hundreds of people have the same sequence of combinations of networks firing during an NDE? This is statistically improbable that they all experience an OBE, a tunnel, a light, this peaceful feeling, the words: it's not your time yet etc. This sequence of experiences is a specific sequence of firing networks in the brain. This is statistically improbable that all these people have almost exactly the same sequence of combinated patterns of firing networks in their brains.

turingtest 9th April 2015 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maartenn100 (Post 10582483)
No, I have no 'work', The Norseman. But I studied something about the brain. i know that different parts of the brain must be involved for such complex experiences like NDE's, according to modern neuroscience.

Hundreds of people have the same sequence of combinations of networks firing during an NDE? This is statistically improbable that they all experience an OBE, a tunnel, a light, this peaceful feeling, the words: it's not your time yet etc. This sequence of experiences is a specific sequence of firing networks in the brain. This is statistically improbable that all these people have almost exactly the same sequence of combinated patterns of firing networks in their brains.

You also have no new argument; this is basically still the same one you used before, based on incredulity that so many people who have NDEs have the same vague experiences- your "tunnel of light" and so forth- that are adequately explained by shared expectations. The only difference here is that you've focused your incredulity a little more sharply on the brain, which you don't seem really qualified to dissect. And by doing that, you've really only undermined your own basic argument that there must be some commonality outside the brain to account for NDEs; after all, what's so incredible about the same basic brain structure in all humans undergoing the same process (of death) having occasionally similar results? Hundreds of people out of billions is statistical noise, not signal. Surely the extra-human commonality you seek would produce more than noise?

MaartenVergu 9th April 2015 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turingtest (Post 10582509)
You also have no new argument; this is basically still the same one you used before, based on incredulity that so many people who have NDEs have the same vague experiences-

I disagree here. Most NDE's are very specific. The OBE, the tunnel, the light, the words: it's not your time yet. That's very specific.

Quote:

your "tunnel of light" and so forth- that are adequately explained by shared expectations.
When you are unconscious, you have no expectations. There are a lot of witnesses from atheists on the internet who had no such expectations at all and experienced the very specific events of an NDE.

Quote:

The only difference here is that you've focused your incredulity a little more sharply on the brain, which you don't seem really qualified to dissect.
What has my 'qualification' to do with the fact that many parts of the brain must be active when you have these kind of experiences?

Quote:

after all, what's so incredible about the same basic brain structure in all humans undergoing the same process (of death) having occasionally similar results?
Oh, suddenly it's no noise, but a signal (see further).

All people sleep at night. Therefore they must have the same kind of dreams. Non sequitur.

Quote:

Hundreds of people out of billions is statistical noise, not signal.
Where is your work to show us your numbers? hundres of people out of billions, you say? Show me your research and your numbers.

Pup 9th April 2015 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maartenn100 (Post 10582483)

A tunnel, for example, can be explained by peripheral vision loss, common with various brain injuries. What are the odds that so many people with brain injuries have similar symptoms? Similarly, a feeling of euphoria can be explained by the brain releasing various feel-good chemicals, like a "runner's high,"only much greater. Again, what are the odds that so many runners report the same sensations?

These things are just how our bodies typically work, or fail to work, in certain situations.

BStrong 9th April 2015 04:03 PM

The only thing I can say from personal experience is that having been there, I saw nothing, heard nothing, and felt nothing.

I was also very glad to eventually open my eyes.

MaartenVergu 9th April 2015 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pup (Post 10582526)
A tunnel, for example, can be explained by peripheral vision loss, common with various brain injuries.

Do you have proof for that? Many NDE'ers are talking about a tunnel they go through. The experience of going through this tunnel cannot be explained by peripherical vision loss. How do you explain the experience of going through the tunnel and being one with the light with your peripherical-vision-loss theory?

MaartenVergu 9th April 2015 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BStrong (Post 10582530)
The only thing I can say from personal experience is that having been there, I saw nothing, heard nothing, and felt nothing.

I was also very glad to eventually open my eyes.

Yes, but many people have been there. So, your experience is not contradiction their ecperience at all. We simply don't know why you didn't experience an NDE;

A good explanation can be: you have no memory of these events.

tsig 9th April 2015 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maartenn100 (Post 10582532)
Do you have proof for that? Many NDE'ers are talking about a tunnel they go through. The experience of going through this tunnel cannot be explained by peripherical vision loss. How do you explain the experience of going through the tunnel and being one with the light with your peripherical-vision-loss theory?

You are remembering your birth.

Giordano 9th April 2015 04:21 PM

Dreams involve many parts of one's brain: those involved in seeing, hearing, smelling, etc. They seem very much like real experiences to the dreamer.

Are dreams therefore real experiences?

turingtest 9th April 2015 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maartenn100 (Post 10582519)
I disagree here. Most NDE's are very specific. The OBE, the tunnel, the light, the words: it's not your time yet. That's very specific.

If that, to you, counts as specificity proving a specific commonality, then you must believe that things like Lord Of The Rings, Moby Dick, the Bible, and any number of other fictions were all written by the same author.

Quote:

When you are unconscious, you have no expectations. There are a lot of witnesses from atheists on the internet who had no such expectations at all and experienced the very specific events of an NDE.
Maarten, c'mon, man- think for a moment here. Obviously the expectations are formed before the consciousness is lost. And I don't necessarily mean "expectations" in the sense that individuals who don't share beliefs must expect the same thing, but something more like "culturally formed and ingrained" expectations. I'm an atheist who was born and raised in a predominantly Christian culture- I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a "tunnel" and hear voices during my NDE (assuming I have one- the "D" is a given, the "E" is not).

Quote:

What has my 'qualification' to do with the fact that many parts of the brain must be active when you have these kind of experiments?
Seriously? You want to make pronouncements about what the brain is capable (or not capable) of, and you think your qualifications to do so shouldn't be in question? And, before you ask, no, I have no such qualifications either; but then, I'm not the one making assertions that need them, am I?

Quote:

Oh, suddenly it's no noise, but a signal (see further).

All people sleep at night. Therefore they must have the same kind of dreams. Non sequitur.
I don't even know why you think this has anything to do with anything I said. Non-sequitur is about right. (Oh, I see- you missed the word "occasionally," didn't you? Or misunderstood it in context.)

Quote:

Where is your work to show us your numbers? hundres of people out of billions, you say? Show me your research and your numbers.
Wait, what? Seriously? The "hundreds of people" I said was taken directly from your own post immediately above mine- "Hundreds of people have the same sequence of combinations of networks firing during an NDE?" Again, c'mon, man- I'm sure that sounded like a really great gotcha in your head, but if you don't want someone to use your numbers to contest your conclusions, then maybe you should do a little more research and come up with some better ones.

MaartenVergu 9th April 2015 04:33 PM

Turingtest, do you think that there are not many different networks of the brain active to produce this sequence of OBE, tunnel-experience, light experience, feelings, understanding words in a meaningful way?

Other argument: these experiences are not chaotic at all, what you expect from an injuried dying brain.A dying brain cannot produce such harmonious experiences full of meaning and very vividly. It's a contradicition. A good working brain can produce these beautiful experiences. But not a dying damaged brain. From a dying brain you expect chaotic hallucinations.

BStrong 9th April 2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maartenn100 (Post 10582533)
Yes, but many people have been there. So, your experience is not contradiction their ecperience at all. We simply don't know why you didn't experience an NDE;

A good explanation can be: you have no memory of these events.

A good explanation is that when the system shuts down, that's it.

I've had both types of shut downs - immediate and lingering, and I didn't go out of body, or saw angels, or saw a light or heard a heavenly choir - I was out, I woke up. end of story.

MaartenVergu 9th April 2015 04:41 PM

BStrong, why do you ignore the possibility of memory loss? You don't know that.

Giordano 9th April 2015 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maartenn100 (Post 10582577)
Other argument: these experiences are not chaotic at all, what you expect from an injuried dying brain.A dying brain cannot produce such harmonious experiences full of meaning and very vividly. It's a contradicition. A good working brain can produce these beautiful experiences. But not a dying damaged brain. From a dying brain you expect chaotic hallucinations.

As has been pointed out to you in other threads on this topic, near-death experiences are, in fact, proposed by their advocates to really be death experiences. If they are death experiences, then you are swallowing a camel and straining at a gnat: you have proposed that a dying brain could only hallucinate chaotic experiences, whereas a dead brain would be able to experience a coherent multi-sense whole. And come back to tell of it.

Even if you are proposing that somehow, near death, we will glimpse what death itself would be like, you are proposing that a near-death, dying brain would be able to sense all of this as a coherent whole, but would not be able to hallucinate the same thing. Doesn't this strike you as a problem?

Pup 9th April 2015 04:47 PM

Quote:

Not my original idea, but folks a lot smarter than me explain it:

https://books.google.com/books?id=Kh...ed=0CCsQ6AEwAw

or

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/darkne...els_and_light/

From the second link:

"Oxygen starvation can cause both tunnel and darkness experiences. The reason for this lies in the structure and functioning of the blood supply of the retina. The macula is the optical center of the retina; it has the greatest blood supply, while the flow of blood to the retina decreases with distance from the macula according to the inverse square law. Yet the oxygen consumption of each part of the retina is much the same, so oxygen starvation will cause failure of peripheral vision before causing total visual failure. Indeed, experiments with oxygen starvation in human volunteers prove this fact. This is why tunnel experiences occur only in NDEs caused by oxygen starvation, while toxins and poisons cause a “pit experience” before causing failure of vision."

MaartenVergu 9th April 2015 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giordano (Post 10582601)
As has been pointed out to you in other threads on this topic, near-death experiences are, in fact, proposed by their advocates to really be death experiences. If they are death experiences, then you are swallowing a camel and straining at a gnat: you have proposed that a dying brain could only hallucinate chaotic experiences, whereas a dead brain would be able to experience a coherent multi-sense whole. And come back to tell of it.

Pim Van Lommel has a theory to explain this possibility. He sees the brain as a receiver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giordano (Post 10582601)
Even if you are proposing that somehow, near death, we will glimpse what death itself would be like, you are proposing that a near-death, dying brain would be able to sense all of this as a coherent whole, but would not be able to hallucinate the same thing. Doesn't this strike you as a problem?

No. I think the brain is actually death. Or is in the process of dying.

turingtest 9th April 2015 04:54 PM

Quote:

Turingtest, do you think that there are not many different networks of the brain active to produce this sequence of OBE, tunnel-experience, light experience, feelings, understanding words in a meaningful way?

Sure I do; but I don't think that your incredulity that the brain alone is perfectly capable of this is meaningful.

MaartenVergu 9th April 2015 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pup (Post 10582605)
Not my original idea, but folks a lot smarter than me explain it:

https://books.google.com/books?id=Kh...ed=0CCsQ6AEwAw

or

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/darkne...els_and_light/

From the second link:

"Oxygen starvation can cause both tunnel and darkness experiences. The reason for this lies in the structure and functioning of the blood supply of the retina. The macula is the optical center of the retina; it has the greatest blood supply, while the flow of blood to the retina decreases with distance from the macula according to the inverse square law. Yet the oxygen consumption of each part of the retina is much the same, so oxygen starvation will cause failure of peripheral vision before causing total visual failure. Indeed, experiments with oxygen starvation in human volunteers prove this fact. This is why tunnel experiences occur only in NDEs caused by oxygen starvation, while toxins and poisons cause a “pit experience” before causing failure of vision."

I don't know. That can be the case, but I'm not convinced.
I recommand you to listen to the testimonies of many NDE'ers on Youtube. It's hard to believe that it can be explained by these biological phenomena.

BStrong 9th April 2015 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maartenn100 (Post 10582594)

Is this thread going off into the recovered memories school of thinking? Maybe I just need the right therapist to guide me along?

Someone can tell me that the reason I didn't have what folks are looking for in an NDE because I'm not a believer, but nobody has ever accused me of not having a good memory.

My experiences, and really the only thing one can go on here is their individual experience, is that I went out, I came back, that's it.

I know other folks that have reported getting the E ticket ride experience when they checked out. I have absolutely no reason to dispute their account and they have no reason to dispute mine.

Pup 9th April 2015 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maartenn100 (Post 10582626)
I recommand you to listen to the testimonies of many NDE'ers on Youtube. It's hard to believe that it can be explained by these biological phenomena.

An argument frim incredulity is hardly convincing. One might as well say to listen to descriptions of LSD trips, or religious ecstacy, or the rare and odd results of brain damage, and say they could not possibly be biological phenomena.

Loss Leader 9th April 2015 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maartenn100 (Post 10582393)
It must be a big coincidence that the dying brains of all these people are functioning so well that they have the same sequence and patern of electric activity.

Even if your understanding of biology and psychology was right, you're still making the logical mistake of only counting the hits and ignoring the misses.

I died. My heart stopped. The whole system was down for a solid minute. I was on an EKG and have the strip to prove it. I did not experience anything. It wasn't even like sleep. It was just nothing. Many people have had the same experience. What percentage of people in near-death states have classic near-death experiences?

If you can't answer that, you can't go any further.

abaddon 10th April 2015 01:06 AM

Quote:

You have a blind spot in both of your eyes. So do I. So does everyone. You are not conscious of it as such because your brain simply makes up what it guesses SHOULD be there on the basis of what is close to that blind spot and fills in the blank. So does mine. So does everyone's. It is trivially easy to demonstrate this.

Given that we know that the brain will invent things in the visual field out of whole cloth and that it is common to everyone on the planet, why should the commonality of NDE experiences be any surprise at all?

Steve001 10th April 2015 05:19 AM

Quote:

Your expectations can be wrong. Consider that as a practicality.

marplots 10th April 2015 06:05 AM

What's amazing to me is that everyone I know can read these words in the same specific way. It's almost like, even with all the complexities of the brain in play, there's some underlying shared experience with reading text. As if similar input produces a similar reaction across all my English speaking friends.

Quite the mystery. It is apparent to me that there must be some outside connection, across brains and across the variety of human beings, that allows this similarity in response to emerge. I call it the "unexplained phenomenon of literacy."

It's just not possible for all these people to share the same experience. Eerie, really.

Mojo 10th April 2015 06:35 AM

Quote:

When you are unconscious, you have no expectations.

When you are unconscious, you cannot report having a NDE.

MuDPhuD 10th April 2015 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maartenn100 (Post 10582626)

How can all these pilots subjected to high g-forces have the same experiences when they have passed out? Shouldn't their experience be chaotic and unpredictable?

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/triggers06.html

Strangely the experiences are quite similar to one another, and oh my, also quite similar to what is reported as NDE!

How interesting!

I predict you will not be convinced.

Belz... 10th April 2015 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maartenn100 (Post 10582393)
I have a new argument pro NDE's:

According to current neuroscience many parts of the brain are involved in the experience of the tunnel, the light, the peaceful feeling, the words 'it's not your time yet' etcetera.
The verbal cortex, the occipital lobes etc. All must be involved.

Chances are low that the sequence of electric activity in the brain of hundreds of people are almost exactly the same in such a way that they have the same sort of experiences.

To have an OBE, to see the tunnel, then the light, then the words: 'it's not your time yet' assumes a certain patern of electric activity in the brain.

It's also about the ontological status of 'the Light' and 'the Tunnel' when many people have the same experience, independent from each other.

How is that new ? That's the basic argument: "it feels supernatural"

Belz... 10th April 2015 07:18 AM

Quote:

Have you considered the fact that perhaps these words are added after the fact via religious beliefs and expectations ?

Of course you haven't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maartenn100 (Post 10582594)

Speaking of ignoring possibilities...

Quote:

Have you done some introspection as to why you're not convinced ?

Of course you haven't.

Belz... 10th April 2015 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abaddon (Post 10583173)
You have a blind spot in both of your eyes. So do I. So does everyone. You are not conscious of it as such because your brain simply makes up what it guesses SHOULD be there on the basis of what is close to that blind spot and fills in the blank. So does mine. So does everyone's. It is trivially easy to demonstrate this.

Given that we know that the brain will invent things in the visual field out of whole cloth and that it is common to everyone on the planet, why should the commonality of NDE experiences be any surprise at all?

Funny thing about that blind spot is that you would never know about it unless our science dissected an eye, picked up on the problems with the structure, and tested for that blind spot. It's fascinating to see it work for yourself.

abaddon 10th April 2015 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 10583512)
Funny thing about that blind spot is that you would never know about it unless our science dissected an eye, picked up on the problems with the structure, and tested for that blind spot. It's fascinating to see it work for yourself.

LOL I freaked out my kids by doing the test before explaining it.

Slowvehicle 10th April 2015 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abaddon (Post 10583520)
LOL I freaked out my kids by doing the test before explaining it.

Gonzo parenting in its finest flower...

Giordano 10th April 2015 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abaddon (Post 10583173)

It is even worse than the blind spot itself: our eyes see only a small central spot in high definition. The visual image is projected by an imperfect lens upside down on a curved, irregular retina. There are blood vessels between the lens and the image. We are constantly moving our eyes to bring different parts of the image on our one high-definition spot. Our brains piece this all together, spatially and temporally correct it, adjust the color balance, invent parts to fill-in, ignore other parts, and patch it all into what we think we see as a single clear image. As far as we can tell, this happens in much the same way in almost everyone.

We already had the conversation as to whether NDEs are the same in different cultures. They are not. And anyway, why would an NDE be expected to show what things are in a DE (Death Experience)? But I guess if one really wants to believe that one's soul goes on after death, then one believes whatever helps.

skeptichaggis 10th April 2015 08:00 AM

The whole thing about NDEs being a glimpse of a afterlife makes no sense. All studies by pro supernatural claimants including kubler-ross and moody have poor methodologies. This anecdote fits with our claptrap so we will record it, this goes against our claptrap so we will ignore it.
I also strongly feel that children who claimNDEs are coached by there parents. I read one child's claim of having met the souls of aborted children-he was six so I don't think he made it up but had it made up by his pro life father.
The idea of duelism-that there is a part of you extant from your mind-is one of the oldest ideas in the psychology of humans but actual science(in this case neuroscience) tells us that the brain is a purely physical organ.
It should also be noted that accuaratly determining if aNDE took place at the short period of death or just before or after is extremely difficult. The claim that NDEs are common also falls flat when you bear in mind the vast majority of people who are brought back do not have this experience.
Any sane appraisal of NDEs must conclude that while there is a small possibility that a interesting neurological process is taking place it is not in any way supernatural.

Olowkow 10th April 2015 08:07 AM

This new argument in the OP sounds like another "too cool to just be chemicals and brain" claim. I might argue just as easily that it is not cool enough to be a god related phenomenon. Why not a little more imagination than just the same old "tunnel with a light at the end"? Why not a very elaborate jewel and precious metal encrusted bridge with lasers and flashing strobes or those super bright LED flashlights and a neon sign a thousand feet high flashing "HEAVEN"? Or a bunch of supernovae spelling out "Paradise, turn right". After all, this is the path to the creator of the universe! The tunnel thing sounds like an abandoned subway line for Pete's sake!

A little tunnel with a white light is exactly what I would expect to be the common denominator of oxygen deprivation or GLok if it were purely physiological. For the creator of Man and giver of life, I'd expect a tad more choreography.

I'm not sure that conflating NDEs and OBEs is helping the argument either. Do atheists find any interest in the NDE concept, or is this just something that has been co-opted by theists to help them with that "faith" thing, which is not supposed to need evidence?