International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Bloomberg for President? (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341597)

Bob001 15th January 2020 08:30 PM

Bloomberg for President?

There doesn't seem to be a Bloomberg thread. He has built a massive national campaign operation and has no practical financial limitations. Can he win the nomination? Can he beat Trump? Would he be a competent (let's not even dream of "great") President?
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...tates-n1110791

Venom 15th January 2020 08:37 PM

He's low energy and came in too late in the race.

If by some miracle he manages to become the nominee I think he has a good chance of losing to Trump. If he does manage to snatch enough votes to defeat Trump in the battleground states and becomes president, I think he'll be Obama 2.0.

Bob001 15th January 2020 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom (Post 12955742)

If by some miracle he manages to become the nominee I think he has a good chance of losing to Trump. If he does manage to snatch enough votes to defeat Trump in the battleground states and becomes president, I think he'll be Obama 2.0.

However you intended it, I see that as pretty high praise.

The Great Zaganza 15th January 2020 09:21 PM

I would have less problem voting for Bloomberg if he was the nominee than I would for Buttieig.

Skeptic Ginger 15th January 2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom (Post 12955742)

You don't seem to be actually paying attention here.

shemp 15th January 2020 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12955778)
I would have less problem voting for Bloomberg if he was the nominee than I would for Buttieig.

I would vote for a dead skunk if it was the nominee.

The Great Zaganza 15th January 2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shemp (Post 12955799)

So you are voting for Trump?

kookbreaker 16th January 2020 10:41 AM

I'm seeing a lot of Bloomberg ads on TV. That being said is he even registering on any polls?

TragicMonkey 16th January 2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kookbreaker (Post 12956349)
I'm seeing a lot of Bloomberg ads on TV. That being said is he even registering on any polls?

I think he bought off Survey Monkey. Last month I had to fill out a survey on how bad our company Xmas lunch was, and the survey immediately after was purportedly about Democratic candidates but was actually full of pro-Bloomberg talking points. Long paragraphs about his life, for instance, and then the "question" would be something like "how likely are you to vote for Bloomberg?" It wasn't in the least bit subtle.

kookbreaker 16th January 2020 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey (Post 12956354)
I think he bought off Survey Monkey. Last month I had to fill out a survey on how bad our company Xmas lunch was, and the survey immediately after was purportedly about Democratic candidates but was actually full of pro-Bloomberg talking points. Long paragraphs about his life, for instance, and then the "question" would be something like "how likely are you to vote for Bloomberg?" It wasn't in the least bit subtle.

So, much like Trump's online polls.

(OK, to be fair, I've encounter lots of biased polls like this, even had one phoned in.)

The Great Zaganza 16th January 2020 11:26 AM

Bloomberg Media is at pains to avoid reporting about Bloomberg.

Not at all like Trump

JoeMorgue 16th January 2020 11:29 AM

He's blasting the airways with ads here in Florida. We see one for him almost literally every commercial break, and he's currently the only nominee who's we're seeing ads for.

TragicMonkey 16th January 2020 11:30 AM

I don't care for Bloomberg. My impression is that he's offering to be the empty suit that would be better than Trump. At the moment we have candidates who can offer more.

He can be the last ditch emergency cousin on standby to take to the prom, should all the other potential dates die in an accident or get swine flu the day before.

Minoosh 16th January 2020 11:31 AM

Without having strong feelings about Bloomberg I'm still somewhat heartened that a Democrat is running a fairly aggressive advertising campaign targeting Trump specifically on issues like health care. All the other Dems are still running against each other while Bloomberg is getting in front of messaging that IMO will help the Democratic field.

The Great Zaganza 16th January 2020 11:33 AM

Bloomberg is running an anti-Trump, not a pro-Bloomberg campaign. And he is spending literally hundreds of millions of his own money to do so.

Regardless of whether you want him to become President or not, some thanks are in order as far as I am concerned.

theprestige 16th January 2020 12:12 PM

Funny how an individual billionaire can publish as much political speech as he can afford and wants to pay for. But if a group of non-billionaires pool their resources to publish political speech, it's the end of democracy as we know it.

The Great Zaganza 16th January 2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12956465)
Funny how an individual billionaire can publish as much political speech as he can afford and wants to pay for. But if a group of non-billionaires pool their resources to publish political speech, it's the end of democracy as we know it.

Unlike Super-PACs, Bloomberg is transparent about who is paying for what.

Skeptic Ginger 16th January 2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12956465)

There is no limit on PAC spending and you should be more concerned about the fact PACs don't have to disclose donors than the fact Bloomberg is running a campaign where we know who is donors are.

On Colbert night before last, Bloomberg said he hasn't accepted any campaign donations and if he isn't nominated he plans to use his money to defeat Trump anyway.

Also re the polls, he's in 4th and 5th place in recent polls.

Skeptic Ginger 16th January 2020 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12956411)
Bloomberg is running an anti-Trump, not a pro-Bloomberg campaign. ....

Not sure how you figure that. His ads tout his accomplishments.

Lurch 16th January 2020 12:39 PM

Yankistan must look into their collective soul and ponder how it has come to pass that ad buys could have a more potent effect on an election than the fact of an already impeached President whom a (small) majority of folk know to be a villain. I guess far more people catch ads during their voyeuristic "Peeping on the Kardashians" shows than read a paper or watch the news.

At the root, it's utterly ridiculous to be essentially electioneering at the halfway point in a term. Instead, the kickoff should commence no earlier than 6 months before polling day. Even that is being generous; two months is more sensible.

The grotesque piles of cash spent on elections in the US is a wonder to much of the outside world. Rampant, naked capitalism has infected your politics. The nation where money is speech and corporations are people.

In this awful milieu, I welcome a Bloomberg, whose principal motive seems to be to expose a real threat and menace, even if his own prospects of electoral success are slim. To me he's more a team player given his focus on the real enemy and not on internecine squabbling for his own aggrandizement.

kookbreaker 16th January 2020 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 12956483)
Not sure how you figure that. His ads tout his accomplishments.

Iíve seen about 3 different ads, one of them hammers Trump with his lie about protecting coverage for pre-existing conditions. The other two are about His accomplishments. The attack ad ends with Bloomberg touting his protection of pre-existing conditions, so even so itís not the most negative ad I have seen.

JoeMorgue 16th January 2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kookbreaker (Post 12956628)
Iíve seen about 3 different ads, one of them hammers Trump with his lie about protecting coverage for pre-existing conditions.

That's the one I've been seeing the most by a substantial margin.

Suddenly 17th January 2020 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12956411)
Bloomberg is running an anti-Trump, not a pro-Bloomberg campaign. And he is spending literally hundreds of millions of his own money to do so.

Regardless of whether you want him to become President or not, some thanks are in order as far as I am concerned.

1) Lets see how anti-Trump he is when Bernie gets the nomination. I'm gonna guess notsomuch and he'll likely run as an independent and hand Trump another term.

2) lolololol. Some guy with a wealth hording disorder decides to spend his spare change on a vanity campaign because he's annoyed that some other preening rich guy became president and he didn't and we are supposed to thank him. Seriously, the only thing billionaires deserve is to have their wealth nationalized.

newyorkguy 17th January 2020 06:42 AM

Bloomberg has already offered to donate his staff to the eventual Democratic nominee regardless of who that person is.
Quote:

Mike Bloomberg will pay for the nearly 500 staffers on his presidential campaign to continue working through November to support whoever wins the 2020 Democratic nomination, even if it's not him, NBC News reports. Why it matters: The former New York mayor is focused on getting President Trump out of the White House, and his vast operation ó focused beyond the traditional early states ó could provide a strong foundation in key battleground states, like North Carolina and Pennsylvania. NBC News
Bloomberg is not stupid. He's from New York, he has seen first-hand what a train wreck Trump is. He seems to clearly understand the huge danger the U.S. faces with this idiot as president and that it will only get worse over time. A danger that transcends -- or at least should -- party lines and personal ambition. Good for Bloomberg.

Suddenly 17th January 2020 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkguy (Post 12957289)
Bloomberg has already offered to donate his staff to the eventual Democratic nominee regardless of who that person is.

Bloomberg is not stupid. He's from New York, he has seen first-hand what a train wreck Trump is. He seems to clearly understand the huge danger the U.S. faces with this idiot as president and that it will only get worse over time. A danger that transcends -- or at least should -- party lines and personal ambition. Good for Bloomberg.

Bernie will rightly tell him to piss up a rope. This is just a billionaire trying to buy influence. If he wanted to use his fortune to oppose Trump there is a whole universe full of ways he can do it without running for president and making a spectacle of himself.

The idea that billionaires are capable of solving our problems and that they are being selfless when they try (or act like they are trying) to do so is why Trump is in office in the first place.

The Great Zaganza 17th January 2020 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly (Post 12957284)
1) Lets see how anti-Trump he is when Bernie gets the nomination. I'm gonna guess notsomuch and he'll likely run as an independent and hand Trump another term.

yeah, let's see.

Bloomberg has my full support when it comes to sticking it to Trump and the Republicans.
I will withhold my support of his Presidential Campaign until after he is nominated.

Bob001 17th January 2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly (Post 12957297)
Bernie will rightly tell him to piss up a rope. This is just a billionaire trying to buy influence. If he wanted to use his fortune to oppose Trump there is a whole universe full of ways he can do it without running for president and making a spectacle of himself.

The idea that billionaires are capable of solving our problems and that they are being selfless when they try (or act like they are trying) to do so is why Trump is in office in the first place.

Bloomberg is not just a billionaire. He was mayor of New York City -- with more people than many states -- for 12 years after being elected three times. He took office immediately after 9/11 and had a lot to do with rebuilding the city. Despite criticism for "stop and frisk," he had a generally good record. He also created a multi-billion-dollar business from scratch, including inventing a new way to assemble and deliver financial information. He might not be the best candidate, and he might not win the nomination, but I wouldn't dismiss him with a sneer.

RecoveringYuppy 17th January 2020 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 12957792)
He was mayor of New York City -- with more people than many states --

That's a very conservative understatement actually. 38 states to be exact. Quite a fact in light of how our demographics are impacting the Senate and Electoral College.

Suddenly 17th January 2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Bloomberg is not just a billionaire. He was mayor of New York City -- with more people than many states -- for 12 years after being elected three times. He took office immediately after 9/11 and had a lot to do with rebuilding the city. Despite criticism for "stop and frisk," he had a generally good record. He also created a multi-billion-dollar business from scratch, including inventing a new way to assemble and deliver financial information. He might not be the best candidate, and he might not win the nomination, but I wouldn't dismiss him with a sneer.

So a business-friendly candidate who implemented racist law and order measures and who has helped concentrate wealth in urban centers by supporting a finance industry he directly profited from and that draws much of its wealth by seeing labor as a cost to be trimmed? For bonus points he saw himself as so important that he worked to get the law changed to allow himself an extra term. That's always good when people who think that way get a hold of executive power.

Be still my beating heart. Definitely just the man to lead the Democratic Party. I'm convinced. What in the world was I thinking.

Really, It is like someone took the worst things about Hillary Clinton and gave it a penis and a worse backstory.

newyorkguy 17th January 2020 08:07 PM

Quote:

...He might not be the best candidate, and he might not win the nomination, but I wouldn't dismiss him with a sneer.

Well put and I agree.

BobTheCoward 17th January 2020 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly (Post 12957993)
seeing labor as a cost to be trimmed?

Labor is a cost.

Jobs are not benefits to the economy. They are the price we pay to get things.

The Great Zaganza 18th January 2020 12:36 AM

Bloomberg is the perfect nightmare for Trump: he is richer, more successful and more respected.
Being told that someone is spending literally hundreds of millions of their own money without a blink must be incredibly scary.

Suddenly 18th January 2020 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12958135)
Bloomberg is the perfect nightmare for Trump: he is richer, more successful and more respected.
Being told that someone is spending literally hundreds of millions of their own money without a blink must be incredibly scary.

As if it matters what scares an irrational moron. He's scared of stairs and exercise. Not other rich people. If anything, Bloomberg would be validating to him anyway.

Hans 18th January 2020 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shemp (Post 12955799)

Just how putrid would it have to be before you wouldn't?

ArchSas 18th January 2020 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly (Post 12958284)
As if it matters what scares an irrational moron. He's scared of stairs and exercise. Not other rich people. If anything, Bloomberg would be validating to him anyway.

This. I've never seen Trump as having disdain for other rich people. If anything, it appears that he's spent most of his life desperately trying to win the approval of the ultra-wealthy New York elite types who always looked down on him for being the son of a low-level property hustler from outside of Manhattan. Someone like Bloomberg treating him as an equal, even in an adversarial capacity, is like his dream come true.

ChristianProgressive 21st January 2020 09:12 AM

Steyer is better than Bloomberg. A successful businessman and a better progressive.

Trebuchet 21st January 2020 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive (Post 12961265)
Steyer is better than Bloomberg. A successful businessman and a better progressive.

And younger.

kookbreaker 21st January 2020 09:47 AM

I've seen a new Bloomberg ad over the weekend. This one covering the environment. Like the healthcare ad it starts pointing out a Trump lie and going about Be policy from there.

JoeMorgue 21st January 2020 10:17 AM

As to Bloomberg specifically it's way too late (which is depressing since in any sane world the 2020 election campaign wouldn't even start for another few months but that's another topic) in this whole donnybroke for someone with no message beyond "Lookit me, I'm not Trump" to throw his hat into the ring.

Bob001 21st January 2020 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 12961379)
As to Bloomberg specifically it's way too late (which is depressing since in any sane world the 2020 election campaign wouldn't even start for another few months but that's another topic) in this whole donnybroke for someone with no message beyond "Lookit me, I'm not Trump" to throw his hat into the ring.

Not necessarily. When most candidates start "way too late," it means it's too late for them to raise money and build a campaign organization. MB has literally unlimited funds, and he already has hundreds of people working for him across the country. He's in a unique position to play catch-up.

And he's more than "I'm not Trump." He has a record as a successful three-term mayor of the nation's largest city, bigger than many states, and he has poured many millions of dollars into progressive causes, including fighting the gun lobby and supporting Democratic candidates in 2018.

And of course, he's not Trump.