International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Non-USA & General Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   General UK politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346868)

commandlinegamer 17th July 2021 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13539322)
Another rat leaving the sinking ship.
They knew what they were signing up for their careers are in tatters, serves them right.

Worth noting that ITV's first foray in breakfast television Good Morning Britain had a pretty rocky start despite a presenting team of established heavy-hitters, most of whom were gone within the space of a few months, for various reasons not the least of which included personality clashes. The programme stabilised though, with content and cast changes and became a popular morning show.

Talking of rats, one in particular (according to wikipedia) is credited with saving GMB: the puppet character Roland Rat. Somebody quipped "it was the only rat to join a sinking ship".

I wouldn't write off GB News just yet.

Andy_Ross 17th July 2021 09:17 AM

People said Hugh Janus would never get onto GB News but Nigel Farage is now doing an evening show

Andy_Ross 17th July 2021 11:32 AM

It would seem that GB News have suspended a presenter for being anti-racist, and brought in a presenter who was sacked by LBC for his comments about Jewish conspiracies and black people.

It's not often you see a rat boarding a sinking ship.

Farage is not going to be their Roland Rat.

P.J. Denyer 17th July 2021 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer (Post 13540716)
Worth noting that ITV's first foray in breakfast television Good Morning Britain had a pretty rocky start despite a presenting team of established heavy-hitters, most of whom were gone within the space of a few months, for various reasons not the least of which included personality clashes. The programme stabilised though, with content and cast changes and became a popular morning show.

Talking of rats, one in particular (according to wikipedia) is credited with saving GMB: the puppet character Roland Rat. Somebody quipped "it was the only rat to join a sinking ship".

I wouldn't write off GB News just yet.

I don't think the situations are analogous, an ITV breakfast show was inevitable, the channel wasn't go to fold so it was just a case of tweeking the formula until it had a sustainable audience compared to BBC's breakfast, the only other alternative. That's not to say GBeebies can't or won't survive, but it has a lot less inbuilt security, if it's foreign backers don't feel they're getting value for money someone else will have that channel in short order.

Darat 18th July 2021 03:19 AM

Tell me this can't be true, our Home secretary caught telling lies, I'm astonished given her stellar reputation!
Quote:

.... Priti Patel is under fresh pressure after being accused of appearing to have misled parliament on proposed powers to crack down on protests and, separately, issuing a statement on her asylum bill that does not seem to be supported by evidence.

Both interventions from the home secretary were used to justify some of the most controversial aspects of her bills on policing and the asylum system, which have both been criticised as either undemocratic or cruel......

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...test-crackdown

The Don 18th July 2021 04:02 AM

It's OK, tomorrow is freedom day so It's all good :rolleyes:

GlennB 18th July 2021 08:07 AM

Kipling's "If", The Eton Version.

The work of Brian Bilston, with a link to the original on Facebook here

If you can keep your job when all around you
Lies ravaged from what it is you’ve done;
If intellect and common sense confound you
And if integrity you have but none;
If you can lie and not be tired by lying,
And pretend you act for the public good,
But then leave the people to their dying
And say you did, sadly, all you could:

If you can dream – of nothing more than power;
If you can think – but only of yourself;
If you believe this country’s finest hour
Is when the chosen few can gain more wealth;
If you can flout the law with bluff and bluster
And not care whether you are believed,
Or deny with scorn every single blunder
And not care how many you may deceive:

If you can stir up hatred, fear and violence
To create division to suit your ends;
And answer cries for help with silence,
And then laugh about it with your friends:
If you can stretch this country to its limit
Or until it is you’ve had your fun,
Yours is this land and everything that’s in it,
And—as you wished—you’ll be PM, my son

Filippo Lippi 18th July 2021 01:18 PM

Where does Geebeebies go next? Katie Hopkins?

dudalb 18th July 2021 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 13541521)
It's OK, tomorrow is freedom day so It's all good :rolleyes:

I think some in the Conservative party wold really begin to wonder if they are not bettre off with some other leader.

jimbob 18th July 2021 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer (Post 13541196)
I don't think the situations are analogous, an ITV breakfast show was inevitable, the channel wasn't go to fold so it was just a case of tweeking the formula until it had a sustainable audience compared to BBC's breakfast, the only other alternative. That's not to say GBeebies can't or won't survive, but it has a lot less inbuilt security, if it's foreign backers don't feel they're getting value for money someone else will have that channel in short order.


True, and ITV breakfast news wasn't getting 20% of viewers of the Welsh-language version of Paw Patrol.

I half expect Johnson or Gove to be found hiding on it.

The Don 19th July 2021 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13541929)
I think some in the Conservative party wold really begin to wonder if they are not bettre off with some other leader.

But who ?

Gove ?

Sunak ?

Patel ?

Javid ?

Not that it really matters, the policies would likely be either the same or even more aimed at abandoning any sense of common decency or public health protection allowing people to make their own choices regarding Covid. :rolleyes:

Lothian 19th July 2021 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 13542335)
But who ?

Gove ?

Sunak ?

Patel ?

Javid ?

Not that it really matters, the policies would likely be either the same or even more aimed at abandoning any sense of common decency or public health protection allowing people to make their own choices regarding Covid. :rolleyes:

We need one of them. It would be the refreshing change of direction* we all need after the last 11 years.

* No reason for the Tories to change the election message they have successfully used in the last 3 elections.

Garrison 19th July 2021 08:22 AM

And GB News continues to generate stories instead of reporting them:

Guto Harri quits GB News over taking the knee row

Apparently this was the final straw:

Quote:

On Friday, incoming presenter and former Ukip leader Nigel Farage said he "will not be taking the knee for anyone" on his new show.

In his resignation letter, seen by the BBC, Harri asked the organisation to "please explain how that [Farage's stance] does not breach editorial standards but I did".
Hiring Farage is sort of shrewd move, making sure its, small, audience knows that 'yes we are the bigoted little Englander mouthpiece you thought we were'.

Andy_Ross 19th July 2021 02:05 PM

Nigel Farage and Sir Graham Brady are enjoying a pint live on GB News.

It's a feature of his show called 'Talking Pints' where him and his guest drink Lager in front of a CGI Bar while they exchange lies and hate.

Apparently every pub in the land is a Parliament.

It's what we knew all along. GB News is all about Gammons talking bollocks in the pub.

Did he steal the format from Alan Partridge?

dudalb 19th July 2021 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrison (Post 13542645)
And GB News continues to generate stories instead of reporting them:

Guto Harri quits GB News over taking the knee row

Apparently this was the final straw:



Hiring Farage is sort of shrewd move, making sure its, small, audience knows that 'yes we are the bigoted little Englander mouthpiece you thought we were'.

Anything for a rating.........

With Farage as a host, I am guessing GB is trying to be a British version of FOX News.

KDLarsen 19th July 2021 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13543336)
Anything for a rating.........

With Farage as a host, I am guessing GB is trying to be a British version of FOX News.

No that was the original vision, but it was rather undone by some of their contributors actually having a shred of decency.

I know, I know, some of the Fox News daytime presenters are actually reasonable, it's the prime time "opinion" presenters who are letting the side down.

Wudang 20th July 2021 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDLarsen (Post 13543452)
No that was the original vision, but it was rather undone by some of their contributors actually having a shred of decency.

I know, I know, some of the Fox News daytime presenters are actually reasonable, it's the prime time "opinion" presenters who are letting the side down.

Itís a shame that 95% of Fox presenters give the rest a bad name.

Vixen 20th July 2021 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13543090)
Nigel Farage and Sir Graham Brady are enjoying a pint live on GB News.

It's a feature of his show called 'Talking Pints' where him and his guest drink Lager in front of a CGI Bar while they exchange lies and hate.

Apparently every pub in the land is a Parliament.

It's what we knew all along. GB News is all about Gammons talking bollocks in the pub.

Did he steal the format from Alan Partridge?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE



Which one was which?

Andy_Ross 20th July 2021 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vixen (Post 13543724)
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE



Which one was which?



Spot on!

RolandRat 20th July 2021 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13543090)

It's what we knew all along. GB News is all about Gammons talking bollocks in the pub.

Did he steal the format from Alan Partridge?

The thing is, that type of format, an unironic rip off of Alan Partridge would most definitely resonate with the Leave voter type. It wouldn't surprise me if that's what Fraggle was aiming at.

Andy_Ross 22nd July 2021 08:02 AM

UK government approves 50% funding cut for arts and design courses. The move will save around £20m, says the education secretary Gavin Williamson.

The Don 22nd July 2021 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13546011)
UK government approves 50% funding cut for arts and design courses. The move will save around £20m, says the education secretary Gavin Williamson.

Only need to find another 1,850 cuts like that and they'll have paid for Test and Trace. :mad:

Andy_Ross 22nd July 2021 09:32 AM

Labour MP Dawn Butler Brent was told to leave the Chamber by Deputy Speaker for raising Boris' rampant lying in Parliament. Apparently you can't accuse another MP of telling lies even after they have been shown to be telling lies.

It is ridiculous that you are not allowed to discuss the fact that the Prime Minister is a liar in our parliament without punishment but the Prime Minister can tell obvious lies in parliament on a daily basis without any sanction.

The system is from an age where everyone behaved honourably and to be caught lying would finish a politician's career instantly.
Today they lie with impunity because they know they can't be called out on it and the rules need to change to keep up.

Andy_Ross 22nd July 2021 09:47 AM

The Tory Home Secretary has just announced legislation that means journalists can get up to 14 years in prison for embarrassing the govt … but 5 Tory MPs get only a day’s ban from Parliament for trying to influence judges in a rape trial.

Quote:

Five Conservative MPs breached the code of conduct over an attempt to influence legal proceedings, a standards committee has found.

Theresa Villiers, Natalie Elphicke, Sir Roger Gale, Adam Holloway and Bob Stewart wrote letters regarding ex-MP Charlie Elphicke, who was convicted of sex offences.

The letters on Commons notepaper were addressed to senior judges.

Three of the MPs could be suspended from Parliament for one day.

Ms Villiers, Mrs Elphicke and Sir Roger face suspension, while Mr Holloway and Col Stewart have been told to apologise by the Commons Standards Committee.

All five wrote to senior members of the judiciary raising concerns that a more junior judge was considering publishing character references provided for Mr Elphicke.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57914664

They wrote references for MP convicted of sex offence.
They wanted to keep that secret.
They tried to get senior judges to pressure the trial judge to keep it secret.
They assumed judges do what Tory MPs tell them.
Judges don’t thank goodness.

That's the same Natalie Elphicke who suggested Rashford's failed penalty was because he interfered in politics & didn't stick to football.

GlennB 22nd July 2021 03:15 PM

I find this encouraging :

"Rank-and-file police officers have overwhelmingly supported a vote of no confidence in the home secretary, Priti Patel, the first such move in more than a decade.

In a scathing announcement, the Police Federation of England and Wales (PFEW), which represents 130,000 officers, said Patel and the government “could not be trusted” and warned “warm words are no longer enough”. "

link

Andy_Ross 22nd July 2021 04:34 PM

Only over pay though. It's not some principled stand against anything, just self interest.

RolandRat 22nd July 2021 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13546557)
Only over pay though. It's not some principled stand against anything, just self interest.

In this day and age this is the only way we might actually get change. Influential groups are only going to get involved if it benefits their own self interest. The majority of Tory voters don't seem to care.

Vixen 23rd July 2021 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13546120)
Labour MP Dawn Butler Brent was told to leave the Chamber by Deputy Speaker for raising Boris' rampant lying in Parliament. Apparently you can't accuse another MP of telling lies even after they have been shown to be telling lies.

It is ridiculous that you are not allowed to discuss the fact that the Prime Minister is a liar in our parliament without punishment but the Prime Minister can tell obvious lies in parliament on a daily basis without any sanction.

The system is from an age where everyone behaved honourably and to be caught lying would finish a politician's career instantly.
Today they lie with impunity because they know they can't be called out on it and the rules need to change to keep up.

I know it wasn't Lindsay Hoyle yesterday (House of Commons Speaker) but I wonder if he is really up to the job. He has reprimanded 'Boris' Johnson and Matthew Hancock in the past for announcing new government policies on television and press conferences without first bothering to consult parliament, as they ought to. However, he is also supposed to remind the Prime Minister that he should answer the questions asked, instead of swerving around them with silly catchphrases. John Bercow was the master of the putdown and of points of order. Hoyle really needs to be much tougher. Governance needs to be through parliament not the DAILY TELEGRAPH.

Dawn Butler should have known you cannot call someone a liar in the house. There are a hundred and one different ways of doing the same without using that word. See Ian Blackford. Bit of a gasbag but he doesn't let up.

Vixen 23rd July 2021 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13546143)
The Tory Home Secretary has just announced legislation that means journalists can get up to 14 years in prison for embarrassing the govt Ö but 5 Tory MPs get only a dayís ban from Parliament for trying to influence judges in a rape trial.



https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57914664

They wrote references for MP convicted of sex offence.
They wanted to keep that secret.
They tried to get senior judges to pressure the trial judge to keep it secret.
They assumed judges do what Tory MPs tell them.
Judges donít thank goodness.

That's the same Natalie Elphicke who suggested Rashford's failed penalty was because he interfered in politics & didn't stick to football.

Judges today are traitors. They seem to think themselves independent from parliament. They are not! Someone should tell them they must not upset 'Boris' or Priti. And all those activist lawyers helping defendants and people about to be deported. You know, we need to go back to the days of King John when people just did what they were told. Or else.

Andy_Ross 23rd July 2021 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vixen (Post 13546774)
I know it wasn't Lindsay Hoyle yesterday (House of Commons Speaker) but I wonder if he is really up to the job. He has reprimanded 'Boris' Johnson and Matthew Hancock in the past for announcing new government policies on television and press conferences without first bothering to consult parliament, as they ought to. However, he is also supposed to remind the Prime Minister that he should answer the questions asked, instead of swerving around them with silly catchphrases. John Bercow was the master of the putdown and of points of order. Hoyle really needs to be much tougher. Governance needs to be through parliament not the DAILY TELEGRAPH.

Dawn Butler should have known you cannot call someone a liar in the house. There are a hundred and one different ways of doing the same without using that word. See Ian Blackford. Bit of a gasbag but he doesn't let up.

It is up to the speaker to call out a lie and ask the liar to 'amend the record' and retract their statement as they were 'mistaken', he can't do anything to stop it.

It's all ********.
If an MP tells an obvious and deliberate lie it should be called out as a lie.

At the moment there is no way to stop a Minister deliberately telling lies and no way to hold them to account or sanction them.
Instead it's any MP that tries to hold them properly to account that gets sanctioned.

Andy_Ross 23rd July 2021 02:12 AM

The government has said it will not search the private email account of former Health Secretary Matt Hancock for discussions on official business.

Downing Street has admitted Mr Hancock, who quit last month, used his personal address for this reason.

The campaign group Good Law Project argued his inbox should be checked for the sake of transparency.

But the government rejected this, saying a sweep of emails was "neither necessary nor proportionate".

Vixen 23rd July 2021 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13546816)
It is up to the speaker to call out a lie and ask the liar to 'amend the record' and retract their statement as they were 'mistaken', he can't do anything to stop it.

It's all ********.
If an MP tells an obvious and deliberate lie it should be called out as a lie.

At the moment there is no way to stop a Minister deliberately telling lies and no way to hold them to account or sanction them.
Instead it's any MP that tries to hold them properly to account that gets sanctioned.

Given the key job description for a politician is LYING, if they were allowed to call each other 'liar' in Parliament, they'd be doing it all day long. Now that issue of who is lying to whom, is out of the way, let the PMQ's begin, and let the Speaker demand proper accountability.

Vixen 23rd July 2021 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13546819)
The government has said it will not search the private email account of former Health Secretary Matt Hancock for discussions on official business.

Downing Street has admitted Mr Hancock, who quit last month, used his personal address for this reason.

The campaign group Good Law Project argued his inbox should be checked for the sake of transparency.

But the government rejected this, saying a sweep of emails was "neither necessary nor proportionate".

I don't use my personal email for work-related matters (other than perhaps as a formality or pleasantry of some sort; certainly, not to do business) I find it amazing that ministers covered by the Official Secrets Act should even think of inviting tenders on 'matt.hancock@gmail.com'.

Mid 23rd July 2021 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vixen (Post 13547032)
Given the key job description for a politician is LYING, if they were allowed to call each other 'liar' in Parliament, they'd be doing it all day long. Now that issue of who is lying to whom, is out of the way, let the PMQ's begin, and let the Speaker demand proper accountability.

I really hate this view. The key job description of a politician in a representative democracy is to present their constituents (and to be realistic their party and most often themselves). The idea that all politicians are dishonourable and lie all the time is one of the the reason we're in this mess.

Sure I'm not saying normal politicians don't lie most often about their opponents, often out of political expediency ("do you support this stupid idea", "yes of course I do (because I want to get x, y & z done in return for my support)", and sometimes by just ignoring evidence against their political dogma while highlighting anything that supports that dogma. What they don't do is the complete disassociation from verifiable fact that we have with this current government and where they claim one thing one week and the complete opposite the next week while lying they ever said the first thing in the first place. And quite frankly a system, like we have in the House of Commons, where you can't point out provable untruths (while still allowing for rules against the political equivalent of calling your opponent "a big smelly poopy head") is broken.

shemp 23rd July 2021 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://twitter.com/captain_stavros/...51449827434504

Andy_Ross 24th July 2021 04:14 AM

Each day a different member of the House of Commons should denounce Johnson as a liar.

It might force the House, or the Speaker, to do something about the man and hold him to account.

Andy_Ross 24th July 2021 04:15 AM

Or, the speaker coud shout “Ordure Ordure” every time Boris tells a lie.

Vixen 25th July 2021 02:42 PM

No, no no. The shortage of food supplies on the shelves is nothing to do with Brexit. This time it is to do with...immigration:

Quote:

Priti Patel was criticised by Cabinet colleagues last week over concerns that immigration rules are contributing to a shortage of food on supermarket shelves, The Mail on Sunday understands.

The Home Office's post-Brexit regulations mean hauliers and other supply chain employers are finding it increasingly difficult to fill vacant roles.

Industry insiders say warehouse bosses and other employers are operating at 80 per cent of staff capacity due to visa stipulations, which include a minimum salary of £25,600 for skilled foreign workers.
DM


Ah. Right.

KDLarsen 26th July 2021 12:25 AM

I thought the shortage of food supplies was due to the pingdemic?

Edit: I'll rephrase that: I thought the excuse du jour was that the pingdemic is behind the shortage of food on store shelves, and that it has nothing to do with the estimated shortage of up to 100,000 HGV drivers.

catsmate 26th July 2021 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDLarsen (Post 13549029)
I thought the shortage of food supplies was due to the pingdemic?

Edit: I'll rephrase that: I thought the excuse du jour was that the pingdemic is behind the shortage of food on store shelves, and that it has nothing to do with the estimated shortage of up to 100,000 HGV drivers.

It's difficult to tell, there is little consistency in the excuses peddled by 'Bloody Stupid' Johnson and his cronies.

The Don 26th July 2021 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDLarsen (Post 13549029)
I thought the shortage of food supplies was due to the pingdemic?

Edit: I'll rephrase that: I thought the excuse du jour was that the pingdemic is behind the shortage of food on store shelves, and that it has nothing to do with the estimated shortage of up to 100,000 HGV drivers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by catsmate (Post 13549040)
It's difficult to tell, there is little consistency in the excuses peddled by 'Bloody Stupid' Johnson and his cronies.

Throw all of the excuses against the wall and see what sticks with various audiences. :mad:

As far as the Daily Express/Daily Mail crowd are concerned then it's the EU's fault regardless.

Vixen 26th July 2021 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 13549057)
Throw all of the excuses against the wall and see what sticks with various audiences. :mad:

As far as the Daily Express/Daily Mail crowd are concerned then it's the EU's fault regardless.

It is everything BUT Brexit. Bloody foreigners, now they are demanding £25,600, instead of being happy with minimum wage and zero contracts.

Squeegee Beckenheim 26th July 2021 03:59 AM

Seems to me that the latest is less an excuse for shortages and more a way to pave the way to lower things like minimum salaries for immigrants.

Vixen 26th July 2021 05:11 AM

The inhumane new Borders Bill that criminalises asylum seekers fails to understand the need for proper accommodation of the asylum seekers whilst their cases are being processed and to safe guard them from the ever growing far-right threat, including migrants arriving on vessels from across the channel being pursued by the right wing press and tv cameras, portraying the new arrivals as less than human and only here to fiddle the benefits system. As if they have suddenly appeared from Sudan and kidnapped by 'Albanian' people smugglers, when it can take over four years to even reach that point. Strange how the same people who stand on beaches ready to film the destitute and desperate never seem to mention this.

Quote:

In a hostile climate, where migrants and refugees have faced daily harassment from organised far-right political groups, the home secretary, it appears, has offered no safeguards. Rather, it seems she has pursued a line of inflammatory language that incubates the far right, relentlessly using the term “illegal immigrant”, and focusing on small vessel crossings, despite the numbers arriving via these routes still being very small.
Independent, Opinion

Vixen 26th July 2021 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim (Post 13549127)
Seems to me that the latest is less an excuse for shortages and more a way to pave the way to lower things like minimum salaries for immigrants.

The paradox is that unskilled immigrants are unwelcome and 'skilled' ones can only come in if they can prove an employer is willing to pay them a minimum of £25,600, plus proof of money in the bank. So now the government plans to waive the stringent need for visas for HGV lorry drivers.

So in effect, once more, planeloads of East European Romanians will have to be allowed in to help with farm work.

So much for Vote Leave's brilliant idea of getting rid of 'em.

KDLarsen 26th July 2021 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim (Post 13549127)
Seems to me that the latest is less an excuse for shortages and more a way to pave the way to lower things like minimum salaries for immigrants.

Unfortunately as far as HGV drivers is concerned, the race to the bottom has been a disturbing trend in recent years.

A few years ago, a Danish haulier company was discovered as having 'imported' truck drivers from the Philippines and Sri Lanka on an atrocious pay (as little as 15 DKK / £1.72 / Ä2 per hour), since they found that Eastern European drivers were becoming too expensive. They were initially brought to Poland and put up in accomodation, while the company sought a work permit for them there. Once they had that, they could freely move to the company's premises in Denmark and start working.

Andy_Ross 26th July 2021 05:41 AM

Newly licensed HGV drivers in the UK are reporting they aren't getting taken on as the haulage companies say the insurance for them is too expensive.

The Don 26th July 2021 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13549191)
Newly licensed HGV drivers in the UK are reporting they aren't getting taken on as the haulage companies say the insurance for them is too expensive.

Bit of a Catch 22 then ? :confused:

Unless there's a previously untapped source of experienced HGV drivers (the forces ? the fire service ?) then it looks like we're knackered - unless the government are willing to underwrite the insurance.

catsmate 26th July 2021 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 13549212)
Bit of a Catch 22 then ? :confused:

Unless there's a previously untapped source of experienced HGV drivers (the forces ? the fire service ?) then it looks like we're knackered - unless the government are willing to underwrite the insurance.

That's communism.

The Don 26th July 2021 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catsmate (Post 13549216)
That's communism.

Well, one of the alleged reasons for Brexit is that the UK would be free to subsidise industries to their heart's content and not be sanctioned buy the (rest of the) EU.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-22, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.