International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Welcome! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Welcome new Members! Introduce yourselves here! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64023)

JihadJane 28th December 2011 03:36 PM

There's no shortage of people who try, though, right here in this godforsaken saclike cavity or tube open only at one end.

Scruffy 28th December 2011 06:18 PM

Here's a belated Merry Xmas and a little bit more about me, what with this being the place for introductions. I know you're skeptics, but this is a true Christmas story about me:

I grew up in a secular household and never received any kind of religious information from my parents growing up. Not a word, and I never asked. Then one Christmas season in grade 3 during painting my teacher told us all to paint something related to Christmas. I must have panicked. I knew about Santa and Christmas trees and presents and all that, and I should have stuck to what I knew but I was also dimly aware that Christmas had something to do with God or Jesus or something and was probably afraid of being exposed as a Christmas wanna-be, so I decided to do a religious Christmas painting.

As you may recall, I knew nothing about religion or Christianity -nothing- but I did have some vague notions. God had a son, Jesus who was killed on a cross. Jesus was kind of like an angel or something. So, clearly, there is some good in killing angels. This was also about the time that I was developing an interest in anatomy in general. When Fred Flinstone ate his dinner there was always that giant severed leg with the round white bone in the middle.

I will never forget the look on my grade 3 teachers face when I explained to her that my painting represented Christmas because it was an angel getting its head cut off. It was done quite well as I remember it: the hand, the knife, the round fleshy severed neck with the white bone right in the middle. They say disgust is the last facial expression children learn to recognize and I think I know the exact day that I learned to recognize it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

amb 28th December 2011 09:56 PM

Welcome Scruffy. That's quite a story. Religion is just like a fairy tale, only it's in a book that's claimed to be the word of the grand fairy of them all. Now relax and put your feet up and Colonel will be along shortly with this weeks special xmas menu. :)

COLONEL 30th December 2011 08:41 AM

Welcome to all you NewB's this weekend BBQ is short and sweet In celebration of the NewYear It will be a RIB BBQ party with Beef, Pork, Cat ,Roo,Hamsters you name it we will have the rib, For your drinking pleasure there will be Goats milk fresh from the Goat Champagne by the gallons ,Assoted beers and wines even some Honey wine made by the Grayman
HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR

amb 1st January 2012 02:53 AM

Yes, I confirm that. Everyone, have a great 2012.

daxi 1st January 2012 05:00 AM

Hello everyone. I live in England & my hobbies are amateur radio (ham radio) and amateur magic, especially escapology & mentalism. I have also trained as a hypnotist.
My mentalist interest areas are tarot, with these I do a face down 3 card reading, where I only turn the cards over after I have read them. Past life regression, which is a massively attractive hypnotic area to work as a mentalist magician & the tricks used by the original spiritualists. The old spiritualists illusions fit perfectly with very basic mentalism & escapology, as many did tricks in the dark after being tied into a seat.

amb 1st January 2012 05:15 AM

Welcome daxi. Colonel will be along shortly with the latest menu.

COLONEL 1st January 2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daxi (Post 7893071)
Hello everyone. I live in England & my hobbies are amateur radio (ham radio) and amateur magic, especially escapology & mentalism. I have also trained as a hypnotist.
My mentalist interest areas are tarot, with these I do a face down 3 card reading, where I only turn the cards over after I have read them. Past life regression, which is a massively attractive hypnotic area to work as a mentalist magician & the tricks used by the original spiritualists. The old spiritualists illusions fit perfectly with very basic mentalism & escapology, as many did tricks in the dark after being tied into a seat.

Welcom DAXI So you are a amature? sorry but here you will be just a NewB as we do not have an amature NewB status have a glass of fresh goats milk, take a seat and you can get to know us

Lenligmah 1st January 2012 12:26 PM

Long time follower of Randi. Happy to be aboard. Happy New Year to all.

Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea,
never regains its original dimensions.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. -

COLONEL 1st January 2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenligmah (Post 7893735)
Long time follower of Randi. Happy to be aboard. Happy New Year to all.

Welcome to the forum Lenligmah all NewB's get a fresh glass of Goats milk so drink up. :D

lionking 1st January 2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozmanda (Post 7881898)
Hi All, i just joined so thought i would introduce myself..

My name is Amanda, i live in sunny Australia and a big fan of critical thinking and a good debate. I work in international law enforcement field, so in my job i see a LOT of stupid. I also study criminal justice and forensic psychology, so the reasons why some people are so stupid is fascinating:)

So yeah..thats it for now.

- Amanda

AFP? Don't worry, I won't tell.;)

Welcome. Can't have enough Aussies here. We take over the forum when the Yanks and the Brits are asleep.

COLONEL 1st January 2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lionking (Post 7894704)

Welcome. Can't have enough Aussies here. We take over the forum when the Yanks and the Brits are asleep.

Well this Yank is still awake :D:D:D

Lenligmah 3rd January 2012 11:58 AM

Hey, don't mind if I do. Love goats. Favorite is Nubian. Had a goat herd once - Toggenburgs, Alpines, Saanens, and La Mancha (not my favorite). Hope to have goats again. The are quite the characters. Thanks for the welcome.

Silhouette 3rd January 2012 02:53 PM

I could smell the BBQ from over the fence and thought I'd introduce myself!

I've been a fan of James Randi for a long time, and thought it would be really cool to meet some other people who were also skeptics. I've been an atheist for many years, but have not always been very skeptical. I look forward to engaging with you in one of the many,many threads in this forum!

COLONEL 3rd January 2012 06:53 PM

Welcome Silhouette, Have some Goats milk and yes our BBQ is one of the fiest around, so enjoy your self

Silhouette 3rd January 2012 07:36 PM

Funny, after reading this whole thread, I've developed a craving for Goat's milk, so thanks!

COLONEL 3rd January 2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silhouette (Post 7900798)
Funny, after reading this whole thread, I've developed a craving for Goat's milk, so thanks!

You're welcome

arthwollipot 4th January 2012 05:12 AM

You read the whole thread? :eye-poppi I'm impressed!

amb 4th January 2012 05:18 AM

The whole 13 pages? :eye-poppi

COLONEL 4th January 2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 7901649)

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb (Post 7901656)
The whole 13 pages? :eye-poppi

Some people have a lot of time on their hands :D

Ketyk 4th January 2012 08:43 AM

Silhouettes homework is to read the 500 pages of the Historic and Original Welcome Thread.

COLONEL 4th January 2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 7902153)
Silhouettes homework is to read the 500 pages of the Historic and Original Welcome Thread.

How much time are you going to allow Silhouetts to complete this in ?

quadraginta 4th January 2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silhouette (Post 7900798)

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 7901649)

Apparently he missed the parts where the uncertainty concerning the goat's gender was discussed, or he probably wouldn't be as enthusiastic about this whole "milk" thing.

On a related topic, I recently ran across a recipe for Roasted Goat Cheese Spread.

Imagine my disappointment when I discovered that it was the cheese which was roasted, and not the goat. :(

Silhouette 4th January 2012 09:46 AM

Please don't make me read ALL 500 pages of the Historic and Original Welcome Thread, I'll be good, I swear!

Bell 4th January 2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 7902153)

That should be the "Realistice" thread.

Silhouette 4th January 2012 09:52 AM

I'm afraid to ask....

Silhouette 4th January 2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadraginta (Post 7902344)
Apparently he missed the parts where the uncertainty concerning the goat's gender was discussed, or he probably wouldn't be as enthusiastic about this whole "milk" thing.

On a related topic, I recently ran across a recipe for Roasted Goat Cheese Spread.

Imagine my disappointment when I discovered that it was the cheese which was roasted, and not the goat. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silhouette (Post 7902372)
I'm afraid to ask....

:eek:

eta-forgot to add quote.

quadraginta 4th January 2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silhouette (Post 7902382)
:eek:

Cheese is easy to come by. Good roasted goat is a rare treat.

COLONEL 4th January 2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadraginta (Post 7902491)
Cheese is easy to come by. Good roasted goat is a rare treat.

Well if you promise to behave, I will roast a goat for you at the next BBQ.

amb 5th January 2012 12:04 AM

In a wood fired oven of course!

UnrepentantSinner 5th January 2012 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lionking (Post 7894704)

Do what now?
:bunpan

Brass 5th January 2012 01:17 PM

Hey, guys. I'm a new member. Got here after researching the work of Mark Roberts. This past semester, I wrote a term paper debunking 9/11 conspiracies and (properly, of course) citied Mr. Roberts' work. After communicating with Jim Fetzer and being called a plethora of names (and I was the one being accused of acting like a child) I came across these forums and figured they would be a better way to spend my time than endlessly arguing/quasi-debating with people in the comments sections of YouTube videos.

Anyway, it's great to be here!

TheSapient 5th January 2012 01:19 PM

Hi all. I've lurked here on and off for years. Thought I'd start posting now and then.

Bell 5th January 2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brass (Post 7906739)
Hey, guys. I'm a new member. Got here after researching the work of Mark Roberts. This past semester, I wrote a term paper debunking 9/11 conspiracies and (properly, of course) citied Mr. Roberts' work. After communicating with Jim Fetzer and being called a plethora of names (and I was the one being accused of acting like a child) I came across these forums and figured they would be a better way to spend my time than endlessly arguing/quasi-debating with people in the comments sections of YouTube videos.

Anyway, it's great to be here!

Welcome to the forums, Brass! Yes, Mark (Gravy) Roberts was the best :) His debunking Loose Change website pointed me to these forums back in the day (2006).

Try to keep sane, fighting the truthers!

Bell 5th January 2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSapient (Post 7906746)
Hi all. I've lurked here on and off for years. Thought I'd start posting now and then.

Welcome to you as well! What is it that lured you to the JREF forums?

Brass 5th January 2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bell (Post 7906753)
Welcome to the forums, Brass! Yes, Mark (Gravy) Roberts was the best :) His debunking Loose Change website pointed me to these forums back in the day (2006).

Try to keep sane, fighting the truthers!

Is he still an active poster? Hope he knows how much good he's done. I watched Loose Change when I was a freshman and in the words of Jason Bermas "bought it hook, line and sinker", however, after doing the minimal amount of research (usually through Mark's stuff), later that evening I was anti-Loose Change that quickly.

But hey, I won't flood this portion of the forum - I'll save this for the 9/11 conspiracy forum where I'm hoping to actually get good, educated debates.

Bell 5th January 2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brass (Post 7906757)
Is he still an active poster? Hope he knows how much good he's done. I watched Loose Change when I was a freshman and in the words of Jason Bermas "bought it hook, line and sinker", however, after doing the minimal amount of research (usually through Mark's stuff), later that evening I was anti-Loose Change that quickly.

But hey, I won't flood this portion of the forum - I'll save this for the 9/11 conspiracy forum where I'm hoping to actually get good, educated debates.

As far as I know (I just returned here after about half a year of absence) Mark isn't posting here anymore. After I watched Loose Change I literally Googled "Debunk Loose Change" and came across his website.

These days I'm not involved in 9/11 debunking anymore. Seems like only the real crazy conspiracy believers are left (space beams, holograms and what have you).

TheSapient 5th January 2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bell (Post 7906755)
Welcome to you as well! What is it that lured you to the JREF forums?

Honestly, I don't remember exactly how I first found this place. I've long appreciated the work of James Randi. I think I started reading here to follow attempts to claim the big prize. Were I half as articulate as the average member, I would have started posting a long time ago.

Bell 5th January 2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSapient (Post 7906769)
Honestly, I don't remember exactly how I first found this place. I've long appreciated the work of James Randi. I think I started reading here to follow attempts to claim the big prize. Were I half as articulate as the average member, I would have started posting a long time ago.

I am half as articulate and posting here on and off since 2006 :)

arthwollipot 6th January 2012 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bell (Post 7906766)
As far as I know (I just returned here after about half a year of absence) Mark isn't posting here anymore.

I've seen one or two posts from him recently.