International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Welcome! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Welcome new Members! Introduce yourselves here! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64023)

Bell 6th January 2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 7908533)
I've seen one or two posts from him recently.

Okay, I stand corrected. But I guess those posts weren't in the conspiracy forum, but if they were, they were a response to Red Ibis ;-)

COLONEL 6th January 2012 11:18 AM

Welcome NEWB'S Here is our weekend BBQ menu
First as promised I have two Goats that were sacrificed at the Altar last night and they will be slow roasted in a wood fired oven This will be the main meat part of the meal, Hamsters ,cats and rabbits will also be available, also we will have some fine aged Jamesons Irish whiskey ,some aged cheese , assorted salads ,and a lot of Vegetables.Cherry pie MINTIES and Grayman Oatmeal Cookies enjoy the weekend. :cool:

KwamiFabu 6th January 2012 06:35 PM

Hi there. Have admired Randi's work for some time so figured it was time I checked out JREF. That goat recipe sounds delicious.

Geek At Large 6th January 2012 10:32 PM

Lurker for many years.

Finally had something of value to contribute today, small though it is, in the Amega thread.

:)

Akhenaten 7th January 2012 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek At Large (Post 7911405)
Lurker for many years.

Finally had something of value to contribute today, small though it is, in the Amega thread.

:)



Yay! Another member for the Stick Club!

COLONEL 7th January 2012 09:14 AM

I knew the smell of roasting Goats would draw in the NewB's :D

tomasF 10th January 2012 01:12 AM

Hello everyone
 
Hey there,

my name is Tomas and I have been checking out the forums for quite a while and now I finaly was able to get an Account. I love to discuss politics, but economics and everything related are as well part of my interests.
Hope to have great discussions here!

amb 10th January 2012 05:29 AM

Hello tomasF. Colonel will be along shortly with the new weeks menu. Meanwhile, take a seat, relax and have a Millers Draft.

finexpat 10th January 2012 06:09 AM

I'm not just a newbie here, but also to forums in general, but I think I'm doing the thing I should do by saying hello first. Even though I signed up here to jump in and lurk heavily on the SGU forums, I thought it would still be polite to intruduce myself to the folks here at large. My real name's Marcus, I'm from the US, but our tiny nuclear family relocated itself to my wife's native Finland a bit over a year ago.

I'll admit ahead of time that I'm not the best of or most dedicated skeptic, but I'm learning. For those fellow Americans here, I came from Kansas. That alone should tell you how much deprogramming I've had to go through in the realm of critical thinking entering adulthood. When I started studying for my Bachelor's in my mid-twenties, I had the excellent opportunity to take an introductory logic class in place of college algebra. I was instantly hooked.

But that unfortunately bit me in the bum when I started classes for journalism in the following year, because so many of those fallacies applied where they shouldn't have: the start of the latest Iraq war. What I got instead of an education leading to a promising career in the news field was a bit of an insider's perspective of spin-doctoring.

Longer story shorter, I later stumbled upon a couple of skeptical podcasts that garnered many a nod and laugh and "hmm." Now, a few years later, I feel less like just sitting back and listening in on all the fun and maybe chime in from time to time.

Thanks to the moderators for letting me get my foot in the door. Now for some quality lurking...

amb 10th January 2012 06:20 AM

A very warm welcome finexpat. You've come to the right place brother. You'll get all that and more here. I mean the rebuffs for your half hearted scepticism.

COLONEL 10th January 2012 09:34 AM

Wecome Tomas and have a Glass of Goats milk . Don't take this the wrong way but I hate politics or I should say polticians in the last few weeks I have had more calls from them, asking for my vote or endorsing differant ones, I tell them all the same thing ,that it is none of their business and that the only time they ever contact me is election time. By the way all NewB's are welcome to the Roast Goat BBQ this weekend

COLONEL 10th January 2012 09:39 AM

Welcome Fixepat Have a glass of my fresh Goats milk I do not recall a NewB as new as you in a long time So I think I will send you to Shemp he is good at showing NewB's the ropes and other things around here :D HEy Shemp we have New Blood for you :)

finexpat 10th January 2012 10:30 AM

Thanks for the greets. To the Colonel, I can't say that I've ever had goat's milk that hadn't been finely crafted into cheese.

amb 10th January 2012 11:41 PM

Goats milk cheese has been added to the menu by popular demand.

swanjackal 11th January 2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 7909583)
Welcome NEWB'S Here is our weekend BBQ menu
First as promised I have two Goats that were sacrificed at the Altar last night and they will be slow roasted in a wood fired oven This will be the main meat part of the meal, Hamsters ,cats and rabbits will also be available, also we will have some fine aged Jamesons Irish whiskey ,some aged cheese , assorted salads ,and a lot of Vegetables.Cherry pie MINTIES and Grayman Oatmeal Cookies enjoy the weekend. :cool:

What???? No babies??????????

Is there no catering for the Atheist?

Anyway, been a member a while but just starting to post now. I'm Kris, from the UK, a science teacher and will leak more irrelevant info the more I post.

Bell 11th January 2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swanjackal (Post 7923549)
What???? No babies??????????

Is there no catering for the Atheist?

Anyway, been a member a while but just starting to post now. I'm Kris, from the UK, a science teacher and will leak more irrelevant info the more I post.

Welcome Swanjackal. What made you delurk?

The babies are on the menu, but as to make it not to obvious (to get the squeamish out of our way) we call them a side dish of carpaccio.

swanjackal 11th January 2012 02:42 PM

To be honest my main reason is that my usual place of enquiry dropped away, and felt I needed a change of pastures. I don't post often, mainly because a lot of what is written holds pretty much how I view things, so do not feel I have anything new to add other than my considerable bulk (physical not mental.....and blubber not muscle),but will try to ease myself into a thread at some point.

Bell 11th January 2012 02:55 PM

We'll catch you around then. Give forum community a shot, if you don't mind the crazy in there.

amb 12th January 2012 01:02 AM

Crazy in there? I presume you are speaking of yourself? :D

COLONEL 13th January 2012 06:40 AM

It's time to WELCOME all our NewB's for the week .

This weekend BBQ menu back by popular demand, roasted Goat, pea soup so thick you can eat it with a fork. assorted Salads and Vegtables SmithWicks,Coors ,Belgin beer, Jameson Irish single malt, assorted Pies and Cakes for dessert.

amb 15th January 2012 01:45 AM

Colonel forgot to mention the weeks special. "Rabbit alla king.

threadworm 15th January 2012 04:43 AM

Hello.

Browsed the forum many times but decided to join in the fun. Some may recognise the username from Apollohoax. I can also be found as 'Moving Finger' on Icke's forum.

amb 15th January 2012 04:50 AM

Welcome threadworm. You are very welcome here. Looking forward to some of your posts.

COLONEL 15th January 2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threadworm (Post 7933929)
Hello.

Browsed the forum many times but decided to join in the fun. Some may recognise the username from Apollohoax. I can also be found as 'Moving Finger' on Icke's forum.

Welcome Have a nice fresh glass of Goats milk . and if you see the Goat pat it on the head, it likes to know it is appreciated.

FuJoeRet 16th January 2012 12:02 PM

Hi, I have been lurking since EG and RW days.I found many informative and interesting posts. I thought I would throw out some of my thought and see if any float.

amb 17th January 2012 12:55 AM

All depends what your thoughts are. Gas normally floats, ***** usually sinks. Anyway, grab a glass of goats milk and a piece of roasted goat and relax, read the various threads and welcome.

COLONEL 17th January 2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb (Post 7938930)
All depends what your thoughts are. Gas normally floats, ***** usually sinks. Anyway, grab a glass of goats milk and a piece of roasted goat and relax, read the various threads and welcome.

Dead bodies float after a while also . Just thought I would add that tid bit into the mix :D

Chevstriss 17th January 2012 11:38 AM

how many posts before I can make an avatar? I've been here for months. I don't want to make otiose posts just to bump up my quota.

COLONEL 17th January 2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevstriss (Post 7940069)
how many posts before I can make an avatar? I've been here for months. I don't want to make otiose posts just to bump up my quota.

You need 50 post, seeing as you have 16 you only need 34 more .

Chevstriss 17th January 2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 7940152)
You need 50 post, seeing as you have 16 you only need 34 more .

well that's never going to happen

amb 17th January 2012 10:13 PM

Why not? Haven't you got something on your mind? How about a suggestion for a new item on our menu or something. :)

COLONEL 18th January 2012 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevstriss (Post 7940167)
well that's never going to happen

Know any good jokes? if you do you can go to the joke forum, that will get your count up.

amb 18th January 2012 01:50 AM

Gawd knows, we need new blood in the jokes thread!. :D

rcfieldz 19th January 2012 01:54 PM

Thanks for having me
 
I am into paranormal, psychic and the supernatural. My personal experiences are as an airbender and firestarter. Would like to hear from others with such abilities.

rcfieldz 19th January 2012 02:17 PM

newbie
 
Here to exchange experiences and all.

Foolmewunz 19th January 2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfieldz (Post 7946688)
I am into paranormal, psychic and the supernatural. My personal experiences are as an airbender and firestarter. Would like to hear from others with such abilities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfieldz (Post 7946755)
Here to exchange experiences and all.

Well, you may be in for a bit of a surprise. You see, where it says "a place to discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly and lively way", you may have ignored the "skepticism, critical thinking and science parts" and latched onto the "paranormal". Most of us take the former parts more seriously.

This is not a rest home for dream merchants and woo. We're likely to put a little more emphasis on the skepticism than you were expecting, but I wish you well. Some of our woos have had tremendous staying power. May you live long and prosper. (Oh, but try to avoid a certain "De_Bunk". He gets a little testy when one tries to crank the incredulity factor up to 11.)

Ketyk 19th January 2012 10:11 PM

Thanks Foolmewunz.

My philosophy is to engage newcomers in any way possible. Friendly. Lively. But also in an informative and critical way. Thanks for being on the front lines and taking the time to make this place what is.

Maybe a noob can tell me what they think this place is?

Foolmewunz 19th January 2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz (Post 7947837)
Well, you may be in for a bit of a surprise. You see, where it says "a place to discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly and lively way", you may have ignored the "skepticism, critical thinking and science parts" and latched onto the "paranormal". Most of us take the former parts more seriously.

This is not a rest home for dream merchants and woo. We're likely to put a little more emphasis on the skepticism than you were expecting, but I wish you well. Some of our woos have had tremendous staying power. May you live long and prosper. (Oh, but try to avoid a certain "De_Bunk". He gets a little testy when one tries to crank the incredulity factor up to 11.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 7948010)
Thanks Foolmewunz.

My philosophy is to engage newcomers in any way possible. Friendly. Lively. But also in an informative and critical way. Thanks for being on the front lines and taking the time to make this place what is.

Maybe a noob can tell me what they think this place is?

Well, actually I broke for lunch before I realized that I'd neglected to say to rcfieldz, "Oh, and welcome aboard. Don't get too discouraged if everyone you run into seems to disagree with you. If you actually ask and answer questions and posts, you will be fine. But a thick skin may help. Thar be dragons out there."

AdMan 19th January 2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevstriss (Post 7940069)
Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 7940152)
You need 50 post, seeing as you have 16 you only need 34 more .

well that's never going to happen

Go to the humor subforum and make a bunch of (funny! Non-funny ones will be disallowed. ;) ) posts. You'll have an avatar in no time.

De_Bunk 19th January 2012 10:33 PM

rcfieldz ...

Quote:

..an airbender and firestarter..
Yes..of course you are...

Maybe you can get 5 or 6 pages of 'critical thinkers' discussing your ability here on the JREF..

I'll let the 'intelligent people' here seriously discuss your paranormal talent...

Good luck...(but dont hold your breath waiting for any posts from me)

DB


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2015-20, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.