International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Welcome! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Welcome new Members! Introduce yourselves here! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64023)

amb 19th February 2012 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prometheus (Post 8034556)
Still haven't got the definition of 'beverage' down, have we? :p

You rather they have a single malt whisky perhaps? :)

Neuralethes 19th February 2012 05:31 PM

Well, also new here, a neuroscientist myself currently in Ireland (which is gonna change soon), anyways - hope to broaden my horizon here a bit. hoping for a good discussion climate here, but I guess I soon will find out.

Akhenaten 19th February 2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuralethes (Post 8039580)
Well, also new here, a neuroscientist myself currently in Ireland (which is gonna change soon), anyways - hope to broaden my horizon here a bit. hoping for a good discussion climate here, but I guess I soon will find out.

What's Ireland going to change into?

:o

Cheers, mate. Welcome to the zoo.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6e8b167056.gif

COLONEL 19th February 2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb (Post 8037648)
You rather they have a single malt whisky perhaps? :)

AMB are you offering single malt
I love single Malt

fishtumor 19th February 2012 08:45 PM

New to this site but new to name randi

Hello Salam, I'm from Portland or, I'm here to be involed with pushing forward the skeptical movement. I make videos that help push fowrard critical thinking

Akhenaten 19th February 2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishtumor (Post 8040002)
Hello Salam, I'm from Portland or, I'm here to be involved with pushing forward the skeptical movement. I make videos that help push fowrard critical thinking

Ankh, udja, seneb.

I have no idea why I'm here, although I do like pushing things around, so that might be it.

Welcome aboard, fishtumor!

:w2:

Orphia Nay 20th February 2012 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishtumor (Post 8040002)
Hello Salam, I'm from Portland or, I'm here to be involed with pushing forward the skeptical movement. I make videos that help push fowrard critical thinking

Welcome, fishtumor! :w2:

I'd like to see at least one of those videos! Tell me more about yourself, or ask us a question, so you can rack up more posts in order to be able to post links to your videos.

What's your opinion on bacon? :)

amb 20th February 2012 03:42 AM

And your opinion on Millers Draft? :)

ieathedead 20th February 2012 06:52 AM

G'day folks,

I'll start out telling you a bit about myself.

I'm a guy, live in Melbourne Australia and am currently studying psychology at uni. I'm engaged, and sadly due to my financial circumstance, we are staying with my parents at the moment.

I love animals, we've got 2 Jacky dragons, 5 bearded dragons (4 'normal' and 1 pygmy), 3 blue tongues, a Flinders Ranges scorpion and a Centralian Python. It makes my old bedroom a bit crowded but the warmth from the lights is nice in the winter... I've also got a beautiful Siberian Husky named Cinder who is pure awesome. I have a thirst for knowledge and learning about animals is one of my favorite things to do to help me quench my thirst. I'm also a musician, gardener and I like watching and sometimes even participating in all kinds of sports.

There is much more to me than whats in this post but I'm sure you know that haha, anyway, I look forward to learning new things and getting to know a new network of people.

Cheers

i

COLONEL 20th February 2012 07:32 AM

Welcome ieathedead Have a glass of goats milk . It sounds like you will fit right in here There are a lot of forums here just pick out the ones you like and jump right into the conversations.

Ketyk 20th February 2012 08:57 AM

Hi ieathedead.

I'm curious about your user name. We have a 'Corpse Cruncher' here, is that what you mean? Also, is it purposely missing a "t"?

amb 21st February 2012 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 8041223)
Hi ieathedead.

I'm curious about your user name. We have a 'Corpse Cruncher' here, is that what you mean? Also, is it purposely missing a "t"?

Hey ! That reminds me. Haven't heard from her for ages. Is she okay?
And leathedead,what's you stand on bacon? :)

Neuralethes 21st February 2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akhenaten (Post 8039607)

Vienna ;)

COLONEL 21st February 2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akhenaten (Post 8039607)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuralethes (Post 8044353)
Vienna ;)

Not if I can help it

COLONEL 24th February 2012 06:57 AM

OK Welcome NewB's, And here is the weekend menu
Fresh Goats milk, Bowmore Islay Single Malt,Millers Draft & Light, Belgian beer,
Apple smoke roasted Goat,Rabbits and Roo meat, Assoted Veggies a salads,
Oatmeal cookies, Minties, and cherry pie.

Enjoy the Weekend.

Bell 24th February 2012 12:01 PM

How about some sugared jellyfish?

vladi 24th February 2012 04:12 PM

Hello!

I'm very happy to join this forum!

My name is Vladislav, I'm 32 years old and live in Sofia, Bulgaria. I have a wife (well, strictly speakiing not wife, because we are not married, but anyway :) ) and 2-year old son. I studied applied physics for 4 years in Sofia University but I didn't graduate :(. I'm currently working as a software developer. I was baptized as an orthodox christian but I'm an atheist. I just couldn't get myself to believe in god and religion. And since I discovered Randi, Dawkins and Hitchens I know I don't have to :)
I'm especially interested in religious cults and sects and their methods of deception and manipulation. It amazes me how quickly a person who may otherwise be considered intelligent can be lured into joining such cults. I'm also interested in the different kinds of frauds and scams as they employ mostly the same techniques. I created a small blog in Bulgarian criticizing the so-called MLM (multi-level marketing) companies where I explain the exponential mathematics and the pyramid schemes behind most of them and the methods of manipulation and deception they employ.

OK, enough :) I hope to be able to contribute something to the forum which seems a difficult tasks with so many smart people around here.

TabletSmudge 24th February 2012 06:25 PM

Hello jref. Im your average joe system admin/ network janitor. When I'm not busy with work and family I try to enjoy the outdoors. A month or so ago I was following some squatch tracks down a chem trail and ended up here.

Roadtoad 24th February 2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TabletSmudge (Post 8056522)
Hello jref. Im your average joe system admin/ network janitor. When I'm not busy with work and family I try to enjoy the outdoors. A month or so ago I was following some squatch tracks down a chem trail and ended up here.

Wins thread.

Welcome.

TabletSmudge 24th February 2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadtoad (Post 8056528)
Wins thread.

Welcome.

Thanks Roadtoad! I admire alot of folks here from lurking and reading. One day I might post something worth reading.

COLONEL 25th February 2012 09:37 AM

Welcome to Vladi & tabletsmudge We have our Weekend BBQ going, on see the menu below, so stop by and enjoy your selves and if you happen to see our resident goat walking around be sure to pat it on the head he likes the attention

jonny3d 25th February 2012 03:51 PM

Hi everyone.

I've just joined as a Basic Member.

I joined up, having been exasperated by seeing so many unquestioning, sheep-like, idle-minded individuals, spewing utter nonsense on the various websites/forums out there.

I am sincerely hoping that I meet many like-minded folks here, who share my hard-core, analytical approach to everything life throws at us.

I have always found James Randi utterly inspiring, informative and interesting. It gives me hope, to know that there are people like him out there, although they sure seem to be few and far between.

COLONEL 25th February 2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny3d (Post 8058406)
Hi everyone.

I've just joined as a Basic Member.

Welcome Jonny Have a glass of fresh Goats milk

amb 26th February 2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vladi (Post 8056162)
Hello!

I'm very happy to join this forum!

My name is Vladislav, I'm 32 years old and live in Sofia, Bulgaria. I have a wife (well, strictly speakiing not wife, because we are not married, but anyway :) ) and 2-year old son. I studied applied physics for 4 years in Sofia University but I didn't graduate :(. I'm currently working as a software developer. I was baptized as an orthodox christian but I'm an atheist. I just couldn't get myself to believe in god and religion. And since I discovered Randi, Dawkins and Hitchens I know I don't have to :)
I'm especially interested in religious cults and sects and their methods of deception and manipulation. It amazes me how quickly a person who may otherwise be considered intelligent can be lured into joining such cults. I'm also interested in the different kinds of frauds and scams as they employ mostly the same techniques. I created a small blog in Bulgarian criticizing the so-called MLM (multi-level marketing) companies where I explain the exponential mathematics and the pyramid schemes behind most of them and the methods of manipulation and deception they employ.

OK, enough :) I hope to be able to contribute something to the forum which seems a difficult tasks with so many smart people around here.

Your not Vlad the impaler in disguise are you? Anyway, have a Millers Draft.

bayani 26th February 2012 03:33 AM

G'day!

My name is Bayani Mills; I'm an amateur skeptic in Sydney, Australia with an interest in science and technology.

I started http://seektheevidence.org as a way to promote the use of critical thinking and to encourage greater skepticism about popular phenomena and the exploited media to the pubic. (it's a slow work in progress ^_^)

I'm an advocate of rational thought, free-thinking, and seeking enlightenment, I dislike ignorance and apathy, and strongly encourage others to thoroughly investigate the extraordinary claims they encounter.

I started http://ReportARort.wordpress.com as a way of promoting the fact that various individuals and companies have been reprimanded for making misleading and dangerous claims about their therapeutic goods.

I have my blog http://www.bayanimills.com , which contains various links and videos I find interesting, and the occasional write-up from me about skeptical issues, or just bits of my life.

I also promote science and reason on Instagram amongst my photos: @bayanimills :)

While a member for a few months now, I have rarely checked in - hoping to change that.

:)

amb 26th February 2012 03:53 AM

Welcome bayani. You can be assured you are in the right place. Minties are to your left, goat which has to be patted to your right. Miller Draft straight ahead. Sit down, relax, and make yourself at home.

Bell 26th February 2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb (Post 8059363)
Anyway, have a Millers Draft.

Jeez... We want to keep the newbies, not scare them away!

Ketyk 26th February 2012 10:18 AM

Anyone know what a 'rort' is?

I'd like to report one.

COLONEL 26th February 2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 8060044)
Anyone know what a 'rort' is?

I'd like to report one.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Rort is a term used in Australia and New Zealand.[1] It is commonly related to politics, or, more generally, a financial impropriety, particularly relating to a government programme. The term was first recorded in 1919 and is a derivative of the older "rorty" a 19th century London slang word—meaning “fine; splendid; jolly; or boisterous”.[2] The term is also used as a verb to mean the action of defrauding, (e.g.: he rorted the system.).
Long in use in the New South Wales branch of the Australian Labor Party, where it typically referred to such practices as branch stacking, the term came into widespread use after the travel rorts scandal of 1997, in which a large number of Federal politicians were accused of misusing travel allowances. Three ministers David Jull, Peter McGauran and John Sharp resigned as a result, and Labor frontbencher Nick Sherry attempted suicide

kazzaqld 27th February 2012 01:06 AM

"Pokes head in door"

Um, hi, I'm new! :blush:

Another Aussie here - this time from Brisbane.

I went to TAMOz in 2010 and came here to see if there's a TAMOz12 planned?

Decided to stay for the discussions. :D

amb 27th February 2012 01:20 AM

Welcome. Colonel will be along shortly with this months menu for newbs.

Foolmewunz 27th February 2012 01:23 AM

Well, once again it's getting so you can't swing a dead cat in here without hitting another new Aussie. I swear, they're taking the place over! I think Orphia must be sending them over from the Australasian Skeptics board (you guys aren't all named Spod, by any chance).

Welcome aboard, all. I'm the proud author of the opening post in the Sports sub-forum on your favoritist national sport*... That's right, Taunting the Kiwis Rugby... particularly Rugby Union.

*(well, except that new guy from Melbourne - probably likes Aussie Rules like the other southerners do)

Welcome, everyone. Enjoy the canapes, the main course will be along shortly. (We're out looking for some bodies for ieatthedead**, though.)

** @ieathedead: If that's a typo and you wanted two put two Ts in there, you can PM a mod or administrator and get them to change the user name to avoid the incessant pedantry bound to ensue. You can PM LisaSimpson or LashL - they generally honour simple requests.

lionking 27th February 2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazzaqld (Post 8061811)
"Pokes head in door"

I was at TAMOz as well. I was the good looking one.

Welcome. The more Aussies the better.

lionking 27th February 2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ieathedead (Post 8040950)
G'day folks,

I'll start out telling you a bit about myself.

I'm a guy, live in Melbourne Australia and am currently studying psychology at uni. I'm engaged, and sadly due to my financial circumstance, we are staying with my parents at the moment.

I love animals, we've got 2 Jacky dragons, 5 bearded dragons (4 'normal' and 1 pygmy), 3 blue tongues, a Flinders Ranges scorpion and a Centralian Python. It makes my old bedroom a bit crowded but the warmth from the lights is nice in the winter... I've also got a beautiful Siberian Husky named Cinder who is pure awesome. I have a thirst for knowledge and learning about animals is one of my favorite things to do to help me quench my thirst. I'm also a musician, gardener and I like watching and sometimes even participating in all kinds of sports.

There is much more to me than whats in this post but I'm sure you know that haha, anyway, I look forward to learning new things and getting to know a new network of people.

Cheers

i

Welcome to you as well. There are quite a few Melburnians on the forum, and we've had a couple of get-togethers.

vladi 27th February 2012 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb (Post 8059363)
Your not Vlad the impaler in disguise are you? Anyway, have a Millers Draft.

Actually I am, I joined because I heard many a folk here didn't believe vampires existed :)

Foolmewunz 27th February 2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vladi (Post 8061886)
Actually I am, I joined because I heard many a folk here didn't believe vampires existed :)

Well, crap. Hey, Colonel - AMB !!! Scratch the Millers Genuine Draft and the Goat's Milk. Draw us a couple of Blood-ee Marys (don't tell Mary's husband, though - he hates it when she services the newbs).

arthwollipot 27th February 2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazzaqld (Post 8061811)
"Pokes head in door"

I was at TAMOz too, and I was the good-looking one. Don't let lionking deceive you.

No, there's no plans for another TAMOz at this point. But the Australian Skeptics Convention will be in Canberra in November!

Ketyk 27th February 2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 8060221)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Rort is a term used in Australia and New Zealand.[1] It is commonly related to politics, or, more generally, a financial impropriety, particularly relating to a government programme. The term was first recorded in 1919 and is a derivative of the older "rorty" a 19th century London slang word—meaning “fine; splendid; jolly; or boisterous”.[2] The term is also used as a verb to mean the action of defrauding, (e.g.: he rorted the system.).
Long in use in the New South Wales branch of the Australian Labor Party, where it typically referred to such practices as branch stacking, the term came into widespread use after the travel rorts scandal of 1997, in which a large number of Federal politicians were accused of misusing travel allowances. Three ministers David Jull, Peter McGauran and John Sharp resigned as a result, and Labor frontbencher Nick Sherry attempted suicide

Wow, Colonel, that was awesome. Thanks.

COLONEL 27th February 2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 8062457)
Wow, Colonel, that was awesome. Thanks.

You are most welcome I hope it was what you were looking for.

Jabba 29th February 2012 08:39 AM

Introduction

- This is not really a reply to anything in this thread – but hopefully, introducing myself and asking a question or two is appropriate herein… I guess I'll find out. If I were patient enough I could probably figure it out for myself.

- But anyway, I'm an old guy and don't know much about modern technology – automobiles, the radio, etc. – and hardly speak the same language as most of you guys on this forum. So, breaking in won't be very easy.
- Also, I am basically a Randi antagonist – I suspect that reality is not the deterministic machine that mainstream science would have us believe. I, for instance, tend to believe that we do have free will, and that life does have ultimate meaning – however illogical these concepts appear. In addition, I suspect that the extreme polarization we find between us humans in regard to these subjects is the result of having two cerebral hemispheres that process information differently than each other, and that we, especially us males, tend to be dominated by one hemisphere or the other.

- Otherwise, it would appear that the threads in which I am most interested involve thousands of replies already, and catching up on any one of them – especially for an old and slow reader like myself – so as to propose an explanation that hasn't been proposed and dismissed multiple times already, is something of a problem. (I can only hope that was coherent…)
- Anyway, would it be improper etiquette to propose my own take on consciousness without being thoroughly versed in what's been already said in the appropriate thread?

- Thanks.
--- Jabba