International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Welcome! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Welcome new Members! Introduce yourselves here! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64023)

Greencard 14th November 2013 03:02 PM

Afternoon all :)

Greencard here. 24 and from the UK. I'm a long time fan of Randi and thought it was about time I got involved in the forum. I've just finished watching the Ray Hyman lectures on how to think about dubious claims, and it's got me excited for skepticism again.

Glad to be on board.

911KookDetector 14th November 2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greencard (Post 9625815)
Afternoon all :)

Greencard here. 24 and from the UK. I'm a long time fan of Randi and thought it was about time I got involved in the forum. I've just finished watching the Ray Hyman lectures on how to think about dubious claims, and it's got me excited for skepticism again.

Glad to be on board.

Welcome :)
I'm pretty new too, as you can see. Hence I'm still not 100 percent privy when it comes to navigating the boards and what not. But if you're into skepticism and inquiry in general, this is certainly the place to be. I've learned a lot about various different topics just from browsing and posting on here in the past several months, and have run into persons with extensive technical knowledge that I can only appreciate as a layman.
And could you send me the links to those Hyman links by chance, brother?

Hox 22nd November 2013 08:58 AM

Greetings!

I've been lurking here for some years now. Actually the reason I finally signed up is because I know there are a lot of scientists and engineers here, and I kind of need some assistance with a physics problem I've encountered in my studies(I'm on my 5th year of Electrical Engineering). Where in the forum should I direct such a request?

tuxcat 22nd November 2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hox (Post 9643800)
Greetings!

I've been lurking here for some years now. Actually the reason I finally signed up is because I know there are a lot of scientists and engineers here, and I kind of need some assistance with a physics problem I've encountered in my studies(I'm on my 5th year of Electrical Engineering). Where in the forum should I direct such a request?

Welcome to the Forums. I'd put your query in Science et al

Corydora 24th November 2013 07:18 PM

Thank you for accepting me to your group. I have read here for a long time, but after a while began to feel like I was eavesdropping and should officially join. I am 52 and retired due to arthritis among other things that come with getting older. I will continue to enjoy sharing in your interactions. :)

Bell 25th November 2013 03:01 PM

Welcome to the forums, Corydora. When LibraryLady asks you, just tell her you *did* return the library books.

arthwollipot 25th November 2013 11:04 PM

Corydora!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...91055457_n.jpg

Mootilda 4th December 2013 02:34 PM

Hello all. I'm Mootilda and I live in the midwest. I'm an active skeptic, pro-public health, anti-alternative medicine, pro science atheist. I'm not a fallen away anything. I plan on coming to TAM 2014. I've been saving for 2 years to do this. I'm also trying to get a scholarship since I am disabled and low income.

Femke 4th December 2013 07:11 PM

Hi Mootilda,

A warm welcome into the fold. Great to see that you are a positive person (more pro than anti), I like that. :) You'll fit right in.
I really hope you'll get that scholarship.

Foolmewunz 5th December 2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mootilda (Post 9672661)
Hello all. I'm Mootilda and I live in the midwest. I'm an active skeptic, pro-public health, anti-alternative medicine, pro science atheist. I'm not a fallen away anything. I plan on coming to TAM 2014. I've been saving for 2 years to do this. I'm also trying to get a scholarship since I am disabled and low income.

Hey, Mootilda and welcome.

Check out user "Dessi", who's in Omaha. (Yeah, people do think like that... I get it all the time... "Oh, you're in Thailand. You must know my friend Noi.") I only know Dessi's in Omaha because it came up in a thread.

Make yourself at home and if you want to boost chances for getting to TAM, we often have "chip-in" type threads where people help other people out. This forum is like that. A bunch of really mean and cantankerous curmudgeonly type skeptics... who'd give the shirt of their collective backs to friends in need. It helps if you make some noise. Speak up on whatever it is that concerns you or go hang out in Forum Community or even the dreaded Humor Section.

Oh, and you knew Johnny Carson, right. He was from around there.

turingtest 5th December 2013 09:07 AM

Hello, all; long-time lurker here, finally getting around to introducing myself. I'm a 56 (soon-February-to be 57) year old electrician living in south Mississippi (Gulf Coast); I'm one of about eight liberals in the whole state (and that's counting liberally). Religiously, I consider myself agnostic, but strongly so (heh)- functionally, I'm an atheist. My only problem with religion is with the adherents of it who don't understand, or deliberately misrepresent, the difference between it and science (names like Ken Ham and Kent Hovind come to mind). To me, there's a fundamental difference between a theory being explanatory of evidence (like evolution) and a "theory" being explanatory for faith (creationism); one is science, the other is fanfic. As for morals- "do unto others" doesn't seem to me like something that would take either a deity to maintain or a religion to sustain.

One reason I've taken so long to post here is because I've been so fascinated by some of the threads- the CT section, especially the 9/11, JFK, and birther threads, and some of DOC's religion threads in other sections, have been especially absorbing in the insight I've gained into that type of "thinking," not to mention the education I've gotten from such folks as Gravy, Ryan Mackey, JayUtah, and Tim Callahan (there are many others, of course- those are just the really outstanding names that immediately come to mind).

I don't expect to be as prolific a poster as I am prodigious a reader here; I hesitate to give opinions where I'm not qualified to opine, and, with only a high school education (grad. 1976), I'm in a better position to listen and learn than to speak and miss out on what I could be learning.

arthwollipot 5th December 2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turingtest (Post 9674186)
I hesitate to give opinions where I'm not qualified to opine...

Hell, that's never stopped anyone else.

turingtest 6th December 2013 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 9675379)
Hell, that's never stopped anyone else.

Yeah, I'd noticed that in the threads I mentioned- it seems like, in a lot of cases, there's not only a lot of ignorance behind the opinion, but that ignorance is the positive driving force behind the poster's compulsion to share it.

(Shrug) That's the Internet for you, I guess. I once saw someone here compare the Internet to a public restroom wall, and I think that's a valid comparison. JREF, though, is one of the few places where there's enough knowledge and rationality to make it worthwhile slogging through the stupid.

Mootilda 6th December 2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz (Post 9673628)
Hey, Mootilda and welcome.

Check out user "Dessi", who's in Omaha. (Yeah, people do think like that... I get it all the time... "Oh, you're in Thailand. You must know my friend Noi.") I only know Dessi's in Omaha because it came up in a thread.

Make yourself at home and if you want to boost chances for getting to TAM, we often have "chip-in" type threads where people help other people out. This forum is like that. A bunch of really mean and cantankerous curmudgeonly type skeptics... who'd give the shirt of their collective backs to friends in need. It helps if you make some noise. Speak up on whatever it is that concerns you or go hang out in Forum Community or even the dreaded Humor Section.

Oh, and you knew Johnny Carson, right. He was from around there.

My dad was on a plane once, seated next to a woman from California. She asked him about his Birkenstocks, and he told her he got them in Lincoln, NE. "Lincoln, NE?" she exclaimed, "Maybe you know my friend in Phoenix!"

bruto 6th December 2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mootilda (Post 9677421)
My dad was on a plane once, seated next to a woman from California. She asked him about his Birkenstocks, and he told her he got them in Lincoln, NE. "Lincoln, NE?" she exclaimed, "Maybe you know my friend in Phoenix!"

I used to get that a lot, when I would tell people I was from Connecticut, as if everyone in the state knew everyone - and then later even more when I moved to Vermont, where it's almost true.

But it can work the other way too. My wife, who was bornn in Cuba, was once vacationing in Mexico, swam out to a raft, and accidentally met a long lost cousin. Many years later, on our honeymoon in Hawaii, we stopped on impulse at a kayak rental place, and the conversation turned to her childhood in Hartford, Connecticut, and the proprietor mentioned that he had an uncle there - her father.

TwentyThree 8th December 2013 06:27 PM

Howdy!!

Greetings from a misplaced Missourian living in Fort Worth, Texas!

I've lurked on this site a very long time - years and years! Haven't felt a need to register and say anything until recently.

You'd call me skeptical, although I'm a Deist, not an atheist. I'm a libertarian in political philosophy, and "TwentyThree" is my lucky number - okay, not really, it's my favorite number much like red is my favorite color, nothing more to it than that!

I really, really dislike medical and spiritual hokum and frauds. Psychics in particular make me just... twitchy. :D

Lately, I've been looking at frauds and fakery in the martial arts - I'm a Modern Arnis player and so the subject is dear to me - and I'm hoping some of you with experience in magic tricks can help me explain what some of this stuff is that I'm running across lately, as I'm pretty sure it's just a standard magic trick. I'll post more so I can share the links I've collected on the subject.

Anyway, HEY, Y'ALL!

arthwollipot 9th December 2013 05:44 PM

Twenty-three is a very auspicious number indeed. Two plus three equals five, and five is the most important number at all. Did you know that the Earth's axis is tilted at 23.5? And the menstural cycle - on average 28 days (=23+5) which is the same period as the moon's orbit. The more you know.

Allecher 9th December 2013 07:51 PM

TwentyThree you may also want to keep an eye on JREF's YouTube channel for the upcoming release of a couple of presentations about woo in Martial Arts from this year's The Amazing Meeting. Brent Weedman, Evan Bernstein, David Jones, John Rennie, Jennifer Ouellette, and Sifu S.F. Zeigler also did a great workshop.

TwentyThree 10th December 2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 9683780)
Twenty-three is a very auspicious number indeed. Two plus three equals five, and five is the most important number at all. Did you know that the Earth's axis is tilted at 23.5? And the menstural cycle - on average 28 days (=23+5) which is the same period as the moon's orbit. The more you know.

I can truthfully offer that the date is the birthday of my significant other, the date I started the most important job of my career, the number (combined with two fives, even) of the phone extension assigned to me of my first big promotion, and the numbers assigned to me by system administrators as numeric passwords in various systems (twice). Heck, it's the number assigned to me (without my influence) when we drew for prizes at a Secret Santa party I attended next week - and I got an awesome gift!

And I can also point out that I'm selectively remembering the number 23 and forgetting all the times other numbers and combinations of numbers showed up - because I like the number for no other reason than it's bitchin'.

Whichever.

:p

TwentyThree 10th December 2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allecher (Post 9683993)
TwentyThree you may also want to keep an eye on JREF's YouTube channel for the upcoming release of a couple of presentations about woo in Martial Arts from this year's The Amazing Meeting. Brent Weedman, Evan Bernstein, David Jones, John Rennie, Jennifer Ouellette, and Sifu S.F. Zeigler also did a great workshop.

Thanks for the tip - there's a lot out there, and it's unfortunate, as it's sometimes mixed together with useful things, so the baby gets tossed out with the bathwater.

rowan222 12th December 2013 08:22 PM

I'm pretty sure I've never introduced myself here! I apologize! Here goes.

I'm Renee, I'm 32 years old. I found my way here through the Stop Sylvia website. I stumbled upon it in 2008 I think it was. Until that point, I was still a bit of a Sylvia fan, but after that website, any doubts that she was a scammer went out the window.

I'm a bit of a lurker when I want to. And stubborn when I get the right topic.. But I'm always nice to a fault, which led to my nickname, Butters, after the south park character!

AdMan 12th December 2013 10:20 PM

Hi rowan222, good to have you here! Nice to hear you're nice. :D Feel free to participate, though!

Femke 16th December 2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwentyThree (Post 9685609)
I can truthfully offer that the date is the birthday of my significant other, the date I started the most important job of my career, the number (combined with two fives, even) of the phone extension assigned to me of my first big promotion, and the numbers assigned to me by system administrators as numeric passwords in various systems (twice). Heck, it's the number assigned to me (without my influence) when we drew for prizes at a Secret Santa party I attended next week - and I got an awesome gift!

Awesome, you convinced me, 23 is my new favourite number.

Quote:

And I can also point out that I'm selectively remembering the number 23 and forgetting all the times other numbers and combinations of numbers showed up - because I like the number for no other reason than it's bitchin'.

Whichever.

:p
And this secured your welcome in this forum, Sir/Madam!
:welcome3
Femke

Femke 16th December 2013 08:58 AM

And with Rowan222, and his/her age, the amount of 2's and 3's is through the roof!
This can't be a coincidence.

Good to hear you got off the Sylvia wagon in time. :welcome2

TopRamen 22nd December 2013 11:43 AM

This forum is a beacon of light among the underworld of the internet. Glad to be here.

Femke 22nd December 2013 03:17 PM

:welcome4
Hi TopRamen,
Good to see you here, I am glad you found us. And yes, we keep the porch light on, for anyone who needs to come out of the woo.

Please come in, get a feel of the place, pull up a thread of your liking and enjoy!

Tom Skylark 23rd December 2013 08:28 PM

Great to be here!

Seems like a nice place to be right now.

Femke 23rd December 2013 09:30 PM

Hi Tom,
:welcome2
Great to have you here. Please feel free to roam the premises, there is something for everyone to enjoy.

Tom Skylark 30th December 2013 12:59 PM

Whta is up for dicussion?

We can discuss any topic here? Is it an open discussion? Can we talk about both liberl and conservative issues here?

MikeG 30th December 2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Skylark (Post 9726800)
We can discuss any topic here? Is it an open discussion? Can we talk about both liberl and conservative issues here?

How about you rejoin some of the 12 threads you have started in the last few days, and respond to comments there? That's how discussions work.

moogspaceport 2nd January 2014 09:28 AM

I'm a skeptic and a recovering former conservative from North Carolina, and I'm very glad I found this place.

Happy to be onboard!

Femke 2nd January 2014 12:35 PM

Hi Moogspaceport,

:welcome2
Great to have you aboard. Please make yourself at home and enjoy our MS Sanity, riding the waves of the Sea of Credulity. All decks are open all hours, see you in 10 Forward.

Foolmewunz 3rd January 2014 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moogspaceport (Post 9733029)
I'm a skeptic and a recovering former conservative from North Carolina, and I'm very glad I found this place.

Happy to be onboard!

Hey, welcome to the forums and back to the sane world (of no longer being so conservative). We have a rather vociferous former conservative on board, RandFan. If you have a few weeks, check out some of his posts (he is prolific, though).

Now onto the important stuff..... it's basketball season. Not that NBA crap... real basketball. So the question is: Tarheels, Duke, Wolfpack or Wake? Check out the sports sub-forum. (Not that you'd automatically follow the game. There was a North Carolinian here once, back in '04, I think, who didn't follow college hoops. Turns out he was an SS officer hiding from Interpol. Gave himself away when he couldn't name the lineup of Dean Smith's championship team, so we had him arrested and deported.)

moogspaceport 3rd January 2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz (Post 9734779)
Now onto the important stuff..... it's basketball season. Not that NBA crap... real basketball. So the question is: Tarheels, Duke, Wolfpack or Wake?

HA! Gotta pull for the Heels. My sister went to school there and to not root for them at this point would be detrimental to my health. :D As an aside though, I did go to basketball camp at State back in '88. Running drills with Jim Valvano was something I will never forget.

CarbonKyle 4th January 2014 09:16 PM

Hello!

I've been a huge fan of the JREF, and attended my first TAM last July with my wife for our honeymoon, where I also launched my skeptical comic strip.

6th months later the comic is going extremely well, featured in Skeptic Magazine and the Skeptical Inquirer, all thanks to the excellent opportunities the JREF enables.

In real life I am a military pilot, and very involved in local skeptic communities. We have just relocated to Colorado Springs and are loving life, and planning on TAM 2014 for sure!

Yerushalmi 5th January 2014 01:11 AM

Hi! I'm Daniel, a 29-year-old technical writer from Israel. I'm Orthodox Jewish, and hold political views that are considered centrist here, mildly right-wing in the US, and severely right-wing in Europe. I'm interested in... well, pretty much everything. And I love logical argumentation, with an emphasis on using Hanlon's Razor as often as possible.

Foolmewunz 5th January 2014 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarbonKyle (Post 9739084)
Hello!

I've been a huge fan of the JREF, and attended my first TAM last July with my wife for our honeymoon, where I also launched my skeptical comic strip.

6th months later the comic is going extremely well, featured in Skeptic Magazine and the Skeptical Inquirer, all thanks to the excellent opportunities the JREF enables.

In real life I am a military pilot, and very involved in local skeptic communities. We have just relocated to Colorado Springs and are loving life, and planning on TAM 2014 for sure!

You're THAT CarbonKyle??!! Cool! I've followed your strip for a couple of months. Can't remember who turned me onto it, but pretty sure it wasn't on the JREF Forums. Very good stuff.

For those unhip in the midst, let me plug it for you.... One of my favorite "episodes".
http://carbon-comic.com/comic/placebo-prophylactic/

And this one will have a lot of adherents around these forums...
http://carbon-comic.com/comic/036-retrocade/

Great to have you on board. Try to remember us when you're all rich and stuff. We're but a humble lot.

sprockityspock 5th January 2014 10:50 AM

Greetings! My name is Ace. I'm 25, and my life has a giant, gaping, God-sized hole in it. I have been a skeptic from the tender age of about seven, when I started going to Catholic school and came to the realization that "hell" was a highly questionable concept. I am currently in University, studying to be a linguist. I would like to focus my studies on the evolution of language, and am especially interested in using Bonobos to that end. In the meantime, I am working in a local natural grocery store that sells ridiculously expensive sugar pills homeopathic medicines. Some might say that I am close-minded due to my propensity for speaking my mind when people try to shove things like astrology down my throat, but I prefer to think of these discussions as healthy debates. ;) So, hello!

CarbonKyle 6th January 2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

You're THAT CarbonKyle??!!
My first geek out! Your enthusiasm made my day. I actually don't get a lot of direct feedback through the website, so I finally joined the JREF Forum. Thanks for the welcome!

Yellow Astra 8th January 2014 01:42 AM

Hello

I'm Mike from Switzerland, i was looking for more info to backup my claims against nuclear, no planes and whatsoever explosives in WTC 1, 2, 7, or some other CT fairy tales claims.
I know very well how steel behaves i work with steel as a welder constructor.

I have read a lot of threads here in jref already.

So i hope to give some clues from the real world working with steel.

cheers Mike