International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Welcome! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Welcome new Members! Introduce yourselves here! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64023)

lionking 8th January 2014 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow Astra (Post 9747200)
Hello

I'm Mike from Switzerland, i was looking for more info to backup my claims against nuclear, no planes and whatsoever explosives in WTC 1, 2, 7, or some other CT fairy tales claims.
I know very well how steel behaves i work with steel as a welder constructor.

I have read a lot of threads here in jref already.

So i hope to give some clues from the real world working with steel.

cheers Mike

Welcome. I spent two weeks in Switzerland last April, and loved the place. Look up Gravy's stickies in the 9/11 CT section. He nails it comprehensively.

9/11 originally brought me to the forum 7 years ago. Enjoy.

Russ Dobler 8th January 2014 02:19 PM

Hi! I'm a long time skeptic in the NYC suburbs trying to get more involved. This seems like the place to be!

Bell 8th January 2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Hello

I'm Mike from Switzerland, i was looking for more info to backup my claims against nuclear, no planes and whatsoever explosives in WTC 1, 2, 7, or some other CT fairy tales claims.

cheers Mike

Welcome aboard Mike.

Bell 8th January 2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ Dobler (Post 9748828)
Hi! I'm a long time skeptic in the NYC suburbs trying to get more involved. This seems like the place to be!

Quite right! :)

Yellow Astra 8th January 2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lionking (Post 9747233)
Welcome. I spent two weeks in Switzerland last April, and loved the place. Look up Gravy's stickies in the 9/11 CT section. He nails it comprehensively.

9/11 originally brought me to the forum 7 years ago. Enjoy.

Thanks, hope you enjoyed my country.:D

Foolmewunz 8th January 2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow Astra (Post 9749292)
Thanks, hope you enjoyed my country.:D

Well, it's about those McDonald's.... they haven't told you guys that it's supposed to be a cheap meal, right? If you want to take three kids to McD's in Zurich you have to call your banker first to work out the financing. You can eat in a touristy sidewalk cafe for less!

ETA: Welcome aboard. Zurich is one of my favorite cities in the world. Small but incredibly cosmopolitan. I had to go often because my company's corporate HQ was a bit up from the Pfaeffikon train station.

arthwollipot 8th January 2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Hello

cheers Mike

Let me guess... don't tell me... you drive a Blue Fiesta.

Am I right?

quadraginta 9th January 2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 9749887)

Am I right?

Nobody drives a blue Fiesta. That's nothing but an Urban Legend.

If they answer yes they're trying to trick you..

UnrepentantSinner 10th January 2014 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarbonKyle (Post 9739084)
In real life I am a military pilot, and very involved in local skeptic communities. We have just relocated to Colorado Springs and are loving life, and planning on TAM 2014 for sure!

There's a large number of current and former JREF forumites in your area. Quite a few actually live in and around Colorado Springs. I'm sure if you've been involved with local groups already you've met many of them.

ShowMeSkeptic 11th January 2014 01:40 AM

Hi! As the name implies, I am a skeptic from Missouri.

Black Hole Box 11th January 2014 11:44 AM

Hello. I've been a member and JREF fan for well over a decade, but Darat apparently couldn't find my old account so I had to re-register. Not a problem, except I miss my old avatar.

Anyway, it's amazing how few things have changed in the years since I last visited.

Ketyk 11th January 2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Hole Box (Post 9756696)
Hello. I've been a member and JREF fan for well over a decade, but Darat apparently couldn't find my old account so I had to re-register. Not a problem, except I miss my old avatar.

Anyway, it's amazing how few things have changed in the years since I last visited.

What was the avatar?

Foolmewunz 11th January 2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Hole Box (Post 9756696)

Well, that Darat can be pretty thorough. You may have gotten lost in The Great Purge. But here's a list of all members with b-l-a-c-k consecutively in their user name. Were you one of those? Only a very few have avatars and even fewer of those signed up more than a decade ago.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com....php?do=getall

ETA: Oops. The search I made doesn't come up... just the Member List page. Just search for the word "black" on that pull-down search tab.

eerok 12th January 2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShowMeSkeptic (Post 9755865)
Hi! As the name implies, I am a skeptic from Missouri.

So you're asserting that a place called "Missouri" actually exists?

Just kidding. Welcome to JREF.

Dysth 12th January 2014 06:00 PM

Hi, I'm a sceptic from Germany. I have lurked here for a few weeks and found this forum to be entertaining and educating, so i decided to join.
I have been a sceptic for some time now and decided a little while ago that joining a larger community would be fun, hence my presence here.

Yellow Astra 12th January 2014 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz (Post 9749316)
Well, it's about those McDonald's.... they haven't told you guys that it's supposed to be a cheap meal, right? If you want to take three kids to McD's in Zurich you have to call your banker first to work out the financing. You can eat in a touristy sidewalk cafe for less!

ETA: Welcome aboard. Zurich is one of my favorite cities in the world. Small but incredibly cosmopolitan. I had to go often because my company's corporate HQ was a bit up from the Pfaeffikon train station.

Mac Donald's is anything but cheap here. But i often go to germany so there its cheaper than here to eat.
I live near Bern its a just a 1h drive to Zürich from me.

Yellow Astra 12th January 2014 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 9749887)

Am I right?

Nope i drive a 430Hp Yellow Car haha :p

Yellow Astra 12th January 2014 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bell (Post 9749058)
Welcome aboard Mike.

Hello Bell

hope that ship won't sink.. :D

Bell 13th January 2014 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow Astra (Post 9760538)
Hello Bell

hope that ship won't sink.. :D

If it does, we'll call the Swiss coast guard.

JariM 15th January 2014 05:54 AM

Hi. A "sceptic" from Finland here. Just found this place....

arthwollipot 15th January 2014 04:39 PM

Well, we're happy to have been found by you. Welcome.

Femke 15th January 2014 07:53 PM

Hi to all the new members,

:welcome2
It is good to see all of you here, and from all around the globe, which is great.
Hope to meet you in any of the many interesting threads here. Enjoy!

Femke

lionking 15th January 2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow Astra (Post 9760521)
Mac Donald's is anything but cheap here. But i often go to germany so there its cheaper than here to eat.
I live near Bern its a just a 1h drive to Zürich from me.

Hi. I spent a couple of days in Bern last April. Lovely part of the world.

Welcome to all.

Ghost Of Sylvia 19th January 2014 10:40 PM

Hi from Geelong, Australia. I have been a skeptic for many years now and basically am tired of arguing with twoofers and other assorted conspiracy theorists on other websites such as Youtube.

Have been a member on here for a couple of months but have just one post before this.

Femke 20th January 2014 07:33 AM

Hi Ghost of Sylvia,

:welcome3 and just out of curiosity; your name suggests a connection to a certain new member of the Mediums Who Didn't See It Coming. Did she get to you? I hope not.

Kochanski 24th January 2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ Dobler (Post 9748828)

Hi Russ, welcome from another skeptic in the NYC suburbs. This forum is a great place to get involved and if you check with The Amaz!ng Meeting! and other Skeptical Events subforum you will at times find events listed in NYC and suburbs, so you can get involved locally too.

Cobra 2nd February 2014 05:43 AM

Hello everyone. I'm a new member looking to join in and learn something new. I'm here because I want to be a better skeptic...

I post on forums a lot - I'm a member of the admin team on one, and I'm here with a new user name, since the JREF peeps didn't let me have my original choice ;)

I live in England and I write software for a living. Can't stop long this morning, though, as I'm off to the football in a few mins.

Roland19 2nd February 2014 02:00 PM

Hey guys. This forum seemed pretty interesting so I thought I'd join.

Also I love reading crazy conspiracy theories.

Femke 2nd February 2014 06:56 PM

Hi Cobra and Roland19,

:welcome2
Great to have you here. Please pull up a thread of your liking and enjoy.

Femke

Desert Fox 4th February 2014 11:44 PM

Really new here and first post
To be honest, I wanted to read how other skeptics were looking at the Amanda Knox case to see if I am off base.

Otherwise, probably have been a skeptic for 5 or 6 years.
Work peripherally in law enforcement myself.

Faydra 5th February 2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Fox (Post 9816354)
Really new here and first post
To be honest, I wanted to read how other skeptics were looking at the Amanda Knox case to see if I am off base.

Otherwise, probably have been a skeptic for 5 or 6 years.
Work peripherally in law enforcement myself.

Welcome.

You definitely won't leave for a lack of material to read about Amanda Knox.

:)

Desert Fox 5th February 2014 06:46 PM

I am only going to try to go through the last thread not the previous six

vrolock 19th February 2014 07:43 PM

Hello all, I found this forum through Skeptoid and have found it to be a good read. I have previously used some of the things I have learnt here to combat some of my friends loony theories and to educate myself a bit more.

arthwollipot 19th February 2014 10:54 PM

Welcome, vrolock, and keep doing what you're doing.

quadraginta 21st February 2014 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrolock (Post 9849889)
Hello all, I found this forum through Skeptoid and have found it to be a good read. I have previously used some of the things I have learnt here to combat some of my friends loony theories and to educate myself a bit more.

Did they change their minds?

Snorkio 23rd February 2014 06:32 AM

Pleased to join the forums and looking forward to participating in some threads already.

As a child, I used to love reading about fantastic things, ghost stories, alien's and cryptozoology, listening to Art Bell, etc... I was always sympathetic to those claims which at least attempted to claim to have evidence. Recently I had an urge to go back and revisit some of the things which I had once read and believed, with a critical eye. I've been consuming skeptical (and some "paranormal") podcasts and coming up to speed on what's happened in 15-20 years since I was last into the subject matter, it's been quite an education, and somewhat disappointing, I am hoping to learn more.

ETA:
Thanks to Monstertalk for referencing the forum during a recent Bigfoot episode

MichaelJohnsonSIR 23rd February 2014 07:41 PM

My name is Michael Johnson. I am the original founder of Sasquatch Investigations of the Rockies. I am here seeking help identifying evidence I have obtained and to open some eyes and minds. I graduated Magna Cum Laude in 1986 from the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, Colorado with a degree is Business Administration. I grew up in Central Kansas as a boy and never saw anything unusual until I came to Colorado. Science was always my passion. As a boy in the gifted and talented classes in Kansas I was a page at the State Capitol, I traveled to the chalk beds, and enjoyed Astronomy. Fate put me where I am today and I am thankful to be again in an intellectual environment. I thrived in College. It suits me. My hope is their are like minded people here who care about the truth here. In my world, your only as good as your world. Like all my ancestors before me, there is nothing more valuable than your name and your word. Thanks for the add and lets change the world and have some fun doing it!

Foolmewunz 23rd February 2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelJohnsonSIR (Post 9858822)
My name is Michael Johnson. I am the original founder of Sasquatch Investigations of the Rockies. I am here seeking help identifying evidence I have obtained and to open some eyes and minds. I graduated Magna Cum Laude in 1986 from the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, Colorado with a degree is Business Administration. I grew up in Central Kansas as a boy and never saw anything unusual until I came to Colorado. Science was always my passion. As a boy in the gifted and talented classes in Kansas I was a page at the State Capitol, I traveled to the chalk beds, and enjoyed Astronomy. Fate put me where I am today and I am thankful to be again in an intellectual environment. I thrived in College. It suits me. My hope is their are like minded people here who care about the truth here. In my world, your only as good as your world. Like all my ancestors before me, there is nothing more valuable than your name and your word. Thanks for the add and lets change the world and have some fun doing it!

[Billy Seluga] Well, you can call me Ray. You can call me Ray Jay. You can call me Raymond. You can call me Raymond Jay. You can call me Raymond Jay Johnson. You can call me Raymond Jay Johnson, Junior.... BUT YA DOESN'T HAVE TO CALL ME "MR. JOHNSON". [/Billy Seluga](just riffing on the "SIR", even knowing it's an acronym, because Billy Seluga was an old buddy back in my Bitter End days in NYC when he was part of Ace Trucking Company)

Welcome Michael.
If you've followed links or recommendations to get here, you'll likely know that we are, essentially, a board full of skeptics. Footers/Squatchers are welcome but prepare to be challenged to provide actual proof. "It just seems to me" is a nice supposition and a whole lot of us non-believers would actually be delighted if there was really a "Nessie" or a squatch or yeti out there (for one, it would explain the bruises my friend Malfie gets mysteriously overnight, sometimes :p ), but "what would be cool" is not exactly scientific evidence.

Alternately, if you just want to squabble? Don't tell the mods I said so, but apparently there's a whole lot of that going on the the Bigfoot threads. See if you can find a thread that your "evidence" (claims?) fit into, as they kind of discourage the idea of having four hundred BF threads, but if you've got enough material and/or are an actual presence in "the movement", create your own thread. Have at it. Many "footies" have stuck around and delved into other areas of the forums and found a happy home. We've got a little bit of something for everyone, so welcome aboard regardless of what I may later think of your claims/suppositions.

ETA: Oh, my! I just took a gander at your site. Someone get the popcorn ready.
http://sasquatchinvestigations.org/a...f-the-rockies/

Ketyk 1st March 2014 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snorkio (Post 9857527)
As a child, I used to love reading about fantastic things, ghost stories, alien's and cryptozoology, listening to Art Bell, etc... I was always sympathetic to those claims which at least attempted to claim to have evidence. Recently I had an urge to go back and revisit some of the things which I had once read and believed, with a critical eye. I've been consuming skeptical (and some "paranormal") podcasts and coming up to speed on what's happened in 15-20 years since I was last into the subject matter, it's been quite an education, and somewhat disappointing, I am hoping to learn more.

Sounds exactly like me when I found the JREF.

Martin Hash 1st March 2014 05:00 PM

Dr. Martin D. Hash, Esq. says "hello."

Hello everybody. I’m Dr. Martin D. Hash, Esq., and I’ve been listening to Skeptoid on iPhone podcast for a while now. I enjoyed it so much I went back and started at the beginning (2006 episodes). While I agree with 99% of everything Brian Dunning says, he still is not skeptical enough and seems to be swayed by the same peer pressures that he warns against. His devotion to evolution I find especially irritating because if not him then who is going to push back against that pseudoscience (besides Creationists)?

I would call myself an atheist but Atheism has become a religion of its own so I’ll have to use the weasel-word, “agnostic.” I am a scientist: Ph.D. (Engineering/Computer Science) with a Professional Engineering license; lawyer: JD with a law license; businessman: MBA with a CPA license; and physician: MD (still training). I’m also a US Patent Agent, and have a General Contractor’s license. I’ve run for legislative office twice (lost) and intend to run again (Democrat), traveled the world (goal of 100 countries), and published both academically & popular.

Here’s a big thumbs up to this forum.