International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Welcome! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Welcome new Members! Introduce yourselves here! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64023)

AdMan 2nd October 2014 01:13 AM

Welcome, newbies. Hope you enjoy whatever the forum evolves to. :)

Akhenaten 2nd October 2014 06:31 AM

Hi MiaC!

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6e8b167056.gif

Nay_Sayer 5th October 2014 09:16 AM

Salutations.

I'm Nay Sayer, I say Nay to things, I like the blue.

Cervelo 6th October 2014 07:30 PM

Hey!

Hello to all have lurked for a long time....having gotten the boot from another forum hoping to make this my new home :)

madmonk76 7th October 2014 01:40 AM

New old member, here.:D

ctamblyn 7th October 2014 04:37 AM

Welcome aboard, Cervelo and madmonk76!

The Man 7th October 2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cervelo (Post 10261691)
Hello to all have lurked for a long time....having gotten the boot from another forum hoping to make this my new home :)

Prefect timing, they've just redecorated.

Ketyk 9th October 2014 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmonk76 (Post 10262069)

Hi new old member. i love the pics and vids of the kids.

Trebuchet 14th October 2014 10:22 AM

Another old member here, posting after a loong hiatus. ("loong" was a typo, but appropriate!) Don't know how active I'll be now that I'm back.

ETA: Aww, my old JREF avatar isn't there. I'll have to see about uploading one if I'm going to be around.

Akhenaten 14th October 2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 10274182)
Another old member here, posting after a loong hiatus. ("loong" was a typo, but appropriate!) Don't know how active I'll be now that I'm back.

ETA: Aww, my old JREF avatar isn't there. I'll have to see about uploading one if I'm going to be around.

Is this it?

http://www.yvonneclaireadams.com/Hos.../Trebuchet.jpg

Trebuchet 14th October 2014 01:20 PM

Nope, that's from another board. I had one from Middelaldercentret in Denmark at JREF. I'll probably just post the one you show. It was the first pumpkin I ever tossed.

Crazy Chainsaw 14th October 2014 02:37 PM

Hello just getting used to the new forum it has been
A while since I was on Jref.

Foolmewunz 14th October 2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyer Chainsaw (Post 10274689)
Hello just getting used to the new forum it has been
A while since I was on Jref.

??? Are you Crazy Chainsaw, but lost your old password? (The mods could dig it out and reactivate the account for you.)

Welcome back old and "new" members.

dasmiller 14th October 2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SARIAH (Post 10275369)
Cannot see how to upload an avatar.

It's on the User Control Panel (under "User CP," pick "User Control Panel," on the left side of the window will be "Your Control Panel" and about 1/3 of the way down is "Edit Avatar" under "Settings and Options.")

However - IIRC, there's some minimum number of posts needed for a custom avatar. I don't remember what the number is; I think it's 15 posts before you can post links, but I thought it was higher (maybe 50?) for an avatar.

Akhenaten 14th October 2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SARIAH (Post 10275369)
Cannot see how to upload an avatar.

Hi SARIAH, and welcome.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...19f9f49f43.gif
You'll need to make 50 posts before you're allowed to have an avatar.

Once you've done that, click on "User CP" in the menu bar at the top of the page then select "Edit Options" from the drop-down menu. You'll then see the "Edit Avatar" option in the "Your Control Panel" on the left-hand side of the page.

Happy trails!

ETA: Oh damn! Ninja'd.

AdMan 14th October 2014 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasmiller (Post 10275370)
It's on the User Control Panel (under "User CP," pick "User Control Panel," on the left side of the window will be "Your Control Panel" and about 1/3 of the way down is "Edit Avatar" under "Settings and Options.")

However - IIRC, there's some minimum number of posts needed for a custom avatar. I don't remember what the number is; I think it's 15 posts before you can post links, but I thought it was higher (maybe 50?) for an avatar.

Yes, I think it's 50 for an avatar.

Welcome, newbies and pseudo-newbies to the ISF, whatever that is. :)

Crazy Chainsaw 15th October 2014 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz (Post 10275089)
??? Are you Crazy Chainsaw, but lost your old password? (The mods could dig it out and reactivate the account for you.)

Welcome back old and "new" members.

I am either crazy chainsaw or superman who else
Would take a chainsaw too there own body and
Not be injured?

Trebuchet 16th October 2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 10274555)
Nope, that's from another board. I had one from Middelaldercentret in Denmark at JREF. I'll probably just post the one you show. It was the first pumpkin I ever tossed.

Hmm, apparently I only have 43 posts! I'd have sworn I was more active than that back in my JREF days. Oh well. Eventually I'll have the required 50. Or if not, there's not much point in having an avatar!

COLONEL 16th October 2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyer Chainsaw (Post 10275728)
I am either crazy chainsaw or superman who else
Would take a chainsaw too there own body and
Not be injured?

You are lucky, I have been bit three times by two different saws. Once I had an old Mac 10-10 it bucked and cut from just below my right eye and the side of my nose with the tip of the bar and twice on my left knee with a Homlite XL12.

COLONEL 16th October 2014 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasmiller (Post 10275370)

its 50 post :D

bruto 16th October 2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 10278742)
You are lucky, I have been bit three times by two different saws. Once I had an old Mac 10-10 it bucked and cut from just below my right eye and the side of my nose with the tip of the bar and twice on my left knee with a Homlite XL12.

Get a bigger chainsaw. Really. Big ones are safer than little ones, because you pretty much have to hold them tight and they don't bounce around.

It's one of those counterintuitive maxims that work, such as the one that a sharp axe is safer than a dull one.

Foolmewunz 16th October 2014 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 10278742)

Not "lucky". Crazy. Trust him on this. It's not an ironic user name (like great hulking brutes who call themselves "Tiny"). His avatar for some time was artwork he'd done on his big toenail with his chainsaw. And IIRC he was kind of fond of "blowing things up real good"... in the name of science, of course.

gambling_cruiser 16th October 2014 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmonk76 (Post 10262069)

Also a new old member, my JREF name was gambling_cruiser, but I couldn't bring it to the new forum, I tried it about six times, no chance.
I had the new name accepted, but my account wasn't approved for whatever reasons. I reapplied, and after three days it was ok.
The security questions are a joke!
How many dumbs do you have? Two, two or 2?
Every time I made a mistake, I had to reenter the whole shebang.
Which is the 5th colour in the list. All colour names capitalized, but Purple wasn't right, maybe purple was wanted.
Which letter das the fifth word start with?
D was in the fill in box, f was correct or did they want F?
It was a pain in the ass procedure.
Was I the only one too stupid to do it right?

COLONEL 17th October 2014 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruto (Post 10278846)
Get a bigger chainsaw. Really. Big ones are safer than little ones, because you pretty much have to hold them tight and they don't bounce around.

It's one of those counterintuitive maxims that work, such as the one that a sharp axe is safer than a dull one.

In their day the Mac 1010 was a big saw it had a 20" bar on it and even had anti buckteeth, It was just a freak accident. Both times I cut my knee I had lost my footing and slipped

bruto 17th October 2014 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 10279278)
In their day the Mac 1010 was a big saw it had a 20" bar on it and even had anti buckteeth, It was just a freak accident. Both times I cut my knee I had lost my footing and slipped

I stand corrected. Most Macs these days are nasty little things. Anyway, here is not the place to start a long and fruitless argument about chainsaw safety, so I'll just say "ouch."

Porpoise of Life 19th October 2014 08:25 AM

Been active since the new forum came online, but I haven't introduced myself here yet. I had actually been lurking for some years on the JREF forum, but due to difficulties registering and the things I wanted to say already having been said by the time I could try again, I never bothered.
I'm not very good at these introductions, so I don't know what else to type here, but it's nice to meet you all.

Squatchy McSquatch 20th October 2014 11:51 AM

Hello to all. I've been lurking for a few years and decided to jump into the action.

The Man 20th October 2014 02:15 PM

Welcome Porpoise of Life and Squatchy McSquatch, always nice to see people step out of lurkerville.

Welcome everyone

BadBoy 22nd October 2014 11:22 PM

First time in new forum

Hadn't been to Jref for a while, went to have a browse and its had gone!? Took me a while to find the new location for some reason.

Anyhow, just had to try out my login and accept T&C's. I'm glad the forum is still here.

Hi to all.

Foolmewunz 23rd October 2014 12:24 AM

Hey, welcome back BadBoy. I remember you from what I refer to as the "Rhetorical Thread" (because it opened with a pretty self-evident question... "What Caused the Plane-Shaped Hole?"... Imagonna guess,... a plane, maybe.) I gave up on it but lurked throughout its history.

Not much has changed. We've got a nice new set of clothes but it's pretty much the same joint with new covers on the barstools.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadBoy (Post 10289541)
Hadn't been to Jref for a while, went to have a browse and its had gone!? Took me a while to find the new location for some reason.

Anyhow, just had to try out my login and accept T&C's. I'm glad the forum is still here.

Hi to all.

GuitKitty 28th October 2014 09:28 AM

Now that the forum has moved, I'd like to go ahead and introduce myself. I signed up quite a while ago but just recently started posting. I've been reading this whole time and have read some of the most epic threads on the old JREF forum (the infamous Realistice thread, the Plymouth hubcap thread, some of DOC's and yrreg's threads, and now I'm working on the Jabba/Turin Shroud thread, just to name a few).

I've have learned an incredible amount by just lurking and reading, but I hope to become a part of the community by posting some. Thanks all!

Akhenaten 28th October 2014 09:31 AM

You're doing it the hard way!

:)

Welcome to the Funny Farm.

GuitKitty 28th October 2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akhenaten (Post 10297032)
You're doing it the hard way!

:)

Welcome to the Funny Farm.

Well, yes, but that's what I do. :D

I have to say that I'm especially gratified to receive your welcome, Oh Pharaoh, since your posts have made me literally laugh out loud more times than I can count. Thanks!

ETA: And I've learned a lot from them as well!

PippiLongstocking 9th November 2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PippiLongstocking (Post 10225866)
Hello RandFan, Akhenaten! and thanks Dasmiller and Arthwollipot for your suggestions.

working and part time school has kept me a little busy, but I can't wait to read everything...

so...there was a mixup with my old acct - it got lost/locked out by the system somehow during the transition, so here I am, reincarnated!:blush:

Fraser 11th November 2014 08:52 AM

Returning old user here. I used to post a little bit some years ago under another name, mainly in the history section. I'm from the UK, where I live now but lived in NY for about 8 years back in the late 70s early 80s.

The Man 11th November 2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laverlaw (Post 10319874)
Returning old user here. I used to post a little bit some years ago under another name, mainly in the history section. I'm from the UK, where I live now but lived in NY for about 8 years back in the late 70s early 80s.

Welcome back Laverlaw, I lived in New York in the late 70s and early 80s as well. Just glad someone got out back then. Sorry to say that I ain't never been to the UK. Guess you know the routine 'round here.

Welcome, everyone.

Poison Oak 11th November 2014 07:17 PM

I too am a returning prodigal. Kinda driving through the neighborhood to see what all has changed.

The Man 11th November 2014 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poison Oak (Post 10320874)
I too am a returning prodigal. Kinda driving through the neighborhood to see what all has changed.

Welcome back, I thought I felt an itch. Hope you enjoy the new digs.

Poison Oak 13th November 2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Man (Post 10320953)
Welcome back, I thought I felt an itch. Hope you enjoy the new digs.

Thanks. It's different but it's good.

Femke 15th November 2014 08:21 AM

Hi, another new old member here.
The move was ever so smooth, I'd have sworn I never left the old place. Maybe I was transported to the holodeck while I was sleeping? :boggled: