International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Welcome! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Welcome new Members! Introduce yourselves here! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64023)

Malana 28th October 2011 05:26 PM

Hi, everybody. I just got the e-mail approving my account, and I couldn't be happier. I've enjoyed reading the forums over the past couple of days, and I'm excited to join in the discussion.

COLONEL 28th October 2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malana (Post 7711348)
Hi, everybody. I just got the e-mail approving my account, and I couldn't be happier. I've enjoyed reading the forums over the past couple of days, and I'm excited to join in the discussion.

Well if your excited just wait until we introduce you to Shemp :)

Prometheus 28th October 2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 7711387)
Well if your excited just wait until we introduce you to Shemp :)

I thought we agreed--No more frightening the newbies! :mad:

COLONEL 28th October 2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prometheus (Post 7711421)
I thought we agreed--No more frightening the newbies! :mad:

Well I just thought it being Halloween that they would think Shemp was just wearing a costume :D

RedRatSnake 28th October 2011 06:13 PM

Hello
 
My name is Tim i ain't too happy i have too be here so Listen ! i don't like nobody touching my stuff. So just keep your meat-hooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. Also, I don't like nobody touching me. Now, any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.

Tim :D

COLONEL 28th October 2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRatSnake (Post 7711442)
My name is Tim i ain't too happy i have too be here so Listen ! i don't like nobody touching my stuff. So just keep your meat-hooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. Also, I don't like nobody touching me. Now, any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.

Tim :D

First welcome Tim, now sit down and shut up and drink the glass of goats milk,by the way I saw Stripes too :cool:

RedRatSnake 28th October 2011 06:38 PM

Crap ! i knew i should have used a lesser known introduction quote from Broke Back Mountain.

LOL * Thanks for the welcome

Prometheus 28th October 2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 7711431)
Well I just thought it being Halloween that they would think Shemp was just wearing a costume :D

A costume? We'll be lucky if he's wearing pants.

Ketyk 28th October 2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpmcmurphy (Post 7710398)
Glad to have found this forum. A totally unrelated forum that I belong too had an OT discussion on ghosts that almost made my head explode. I needed to find some sanity and hope that I have here.

At the very least, it looks like I got here on a great menu day! I'll drink the assorted beer and leave others to drink the "koolade."

You must know by now that this thread is like a friendly hazing ritual. The really good stuff is just waiting to be read. Find a study group.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malana (Post 7711348)
Hi, everybody. I just got the e-mail approving my account, and I couldn't be happier. I've enjoyed reading the forums over the past couple of days, and I'm excited to join in the discussion.

Your new name is Flounder.
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRatSnake (Post 7711442)
My name is Tim i ain't too happy i have too be here so Listen ! i don't like nobody touching my stuff. So just keep your meat-hooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. Also, I don't like nobody touching me. Now, any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.

Tim :D

Aaarmy training, Sir!

Cape Cod? There are a few here from the Cape. Dennisport is my haunt. I live just outside Boston, tho.

Welcome everybody! Please don't hesitate to ask questions here.

Malana 29th October 2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 7711824)
Your new name is Flounder.

I can deal with that. I've certainly been called worse.

Fascination 31st October 2011 12:08 PM

Hello! I've been lurking on here for a LONG time but I just registered. I have basically been a lifelong Atheist (although, at one point in my teen years I described myself as an Agnostic). I've considered myself a skeptic since I was around 16 years old (oh....those were the days!). I'm happy to find so many online forums with like minded people. When I lived in Florida, I was a member of the Tampa CFI group and I have many fond memories of all the great people I met there.
Now I reside near Reno, Nevada and my husband and I haven't been able to find any comparable skeptics groups locally. Hopefully this will change. Until then, I have the Amazing Meeting in Vegas to look forward to and the awesome skeptic forums online.

Akhenaten 31st October 2011 12:29 PM

Reno? I thought that was in Brazil.

Live and learn, eh?

:)

Welcome aboard, Fascination.


http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6e8b167056.gif

slowsmile 1st November 2011 09:38 AM

Hi everybody - been lurking for a few months so thought I'd best take the plunge.

I'm from Sheffield, England and like lolcats, alcohol and debunking CT's.

Akhenaten 1st November 2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowsmile (Post 7720571)
Hi everybody - been lurking for a few months so thought I'd best take the plunge.

I'm from Sheffield, England and like lolcats, alcohol and debunking CT's.



Winner!

:cheerleader2

TruthCalls 1st November 2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 7711824)
You must know by now that this thread is like a friendly hazing ritual. The really good stuff is just waiting to be read. Find a study group.

Your new name is Flounder.

Aaarmy training, Sir!

Cape Cod? There are a few here from the Cape. Dennisport is my haunt. I live just outside Boston, tho.

Welcome everybody! Please don't hesitate to ask questions here.

Hi all... just registered a few days ago on the recommendation from someone on a different forum discussing the Meredith Kercher case. Still learning the site, but I like what I see so far. Can't wait to check out the 9/11 conspiracy threads! :)

Dennisport, huh? Wow... I spent the first two weeks of August in West Dennis for 20+ years. Now in NC, so I don't get the chance to visit as often. I'd love to retire to the Cape, but my better half refuses to move back north and deal with the cold/snow.

Fascination 1st November 2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akhenaten (Post 7717910)
Reno? I thought that was in Brazil.

Live and learn, eh?

:)

Welcome aboard, Fascination.


http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6e8b167056.gif

Thank you!

HikakaGirl 1st November 2011 06:53 PM

My glass is ready for some goat's milk
 
Hi all,
I joined a couple of weeks ago, but school's been keeping me from lurking around as much as I'd like. I am a PhD student and study human behavior (yes, that's a science!). I'm here to soak up some skeptical mojo and fine tune my critical thinking skills. Big believer in the scientific method. Always up for talking about why people do the things they do, weird or otherwise!

Looking forward to some good times on the forum,
Jennifer

P.S. "hikaka" means "adventurous" in the Maori language.

COLONEL 1st November 2011 07:34 PM

Welcome NewB's Fascination & Hikakagirl have a glass of fresh goats milk and be sure to stop in Friday and check out the menu for the weekend bbq, that we put on for all NewB's

The Man 1st November 2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRatSnake (Post 7711507)
Crap ! i knew i should have used a lesser known introduction quote from Broke Back Mountain.

LOL * Thanks for the welcome

What...

"...up with the sheep all day, Iím hungry as hell and all I find is beans"

(seems whenever I click past that movie that's all they're talking about)

Welcome everyone

Perhaps we should add beans to the menu (or at least Beefaroni)?

The Man 1st November 2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HikakaGirl (Post 7722209)
Hi all,
I joined a couple of weeks ago, but school's been keeping me from lurking around as much as I'd like. I am a PhD student and study human behavior (yes, that's a science!). I'm here to soak up some skeptical mojo and fine tune my critical thinking skills. Big believer in the scientific method. Always up for talking about why people do the things they do, weird or otherwise!

Looking forward to some good times on the forum,
Jennifer

P.S. "hikaka" means "adventurous" in the Maori language.

Welcome "adventurous"Girl and the best of luck with your PhD research. Into the " study human behavior" and " Always up for talking about why people do the things they do, weird or otherwise!" what a coincidence. Now a PhD thesis on critical thinking would be a site to see (just a suggestion if you ain't honed in on one yet). This forum could probably provide some good fodder in that regard. Maori language? Native to New Zeeland it seems. Philology and the subtleties of language have always interested me, but I have enough problems with just the one (Amero-english).


Welcome everyone.

COLONEL 2nd November 2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Man (Post 7722430)

Perhaps we should add beans to the menu (or at least Beefaroni)?

Where were you last week on the 28th? See the menu from there below :D:D:D:D


OK NewB's Welcome to the JREF. Here is the weekend menu enjoy your selves
Goats milk,assorted beer ,and koolade,fresh baked flounder,roo meat and Rabbits,
spaghetti squash,Shrimp scampi,and baked beans. Grayman oatmeal cookies, MINTIES, and pecan pie.
And again Enjoy your selves.

COLONEL 4th November 2011 12:12 PM

Because of budget cuts the weekend BBQ menu will be short
We have Goats milk, Belgin Beer , Roo meat , Baked beans ,Minties,and Grayman oatmeal cookies.
Enjoy the weekend NEWB'S

edenecho 5th November 2011 02:05 PM

Hello,
 
Yeah, I'm new here too after trying once before to join.

I also go by eden_echo on IMDb and I've been reading a plenty of crazy 9/11 "truth" nonsense on YT and Facebook, I came here to join the land of logic. :D

Ketyk 5th November 2011 03:00 PM

Hello edenecho.

What happened the last time you tried? Lack of character references? :)

Audrey Hepburn as #4 on your list of favourite actress'. Nice!

Can you do something over at IMDB to have them change the main page pic? It's hideous.

Strawberry 5th November 2011 07:47 PM

Hi all

I keep seeing links to this place on other parts of the interwebs, so I thought I should venture in and see for myself. When I saw the Stundie nominations, I knew I had to register. Is there anything funnier than the tin foil hat brigade?

COLONEL 5th November 2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strawberry (Post 7734630)
Hi all

Is there anything funnier than the tin foil hat brigade?

Yes we call him Shemp

Welcome to the site.Have some Goats milk

Strawberry 5th November 2011 08:21 PM

Thanks. :)

Ketyk 5th November 2011 08:30 PM

I love it when newbies come back to this thread for a visit.

All too often I write a sincere welcome explaining various aspects of the forum, others offer their precious milk, and we never see them again.

Maybe I suffer from a bit of newbie postpartum depression. (ETA: or is empty-nest syndrome?)

Strawberry 5th November 2011 08:58 PM

I think I might be a keeper. Any forum which can produce gems like this is my spiritual home...

Quote:

If it (light) takes 11 million years to travel to earth, how can i see it now? I'm only 20.

If it takes 11 million years to travel to earth then the viewer would need to be 11 million years old.

COLONEL 6th November 2011 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 7734710)
I love it when newbies come back to this thread for a visit.

All too often I write a sincere welcome explaining various aspects of the forum, others offer their precious milk, and we never see them again.

Maybe I suffer from a bit of newbie postpartum depression. (ETA: or is empty-nest syndrome?)

I hear you, it is nice when we get that one special NewB that comes back home now and then and says hello.

Ketyk 6th November 2011 07:20 AM

:o

Sometimes I .stalk. follow a NewBs progress, just to see how they are doing. I did that with IAmWhIAm, after that huge first post, but that turned into a waste of time. He made me want to break rule 0. iamtheillumnati got itself banned.

Can you think of any that have gone on to great stuff? I should do the research, maybe have a 'NewB of the Month' poll.

COLONEL 6th November 2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 7735470)
:o


Can you think of any that have gone on to great stuff? I should do the research, maybe have a 'NewB of the Month' poll.

I will give this some thought ,But I like the idea of the NEWB of the month

DangerMouth 6th November 2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 7735733)
I will give this some thought ,But I like the idea of the NEWB of the month

LOL, like anyone would want to be the noob of the month?:D (KIDDING!)

Hi, I'm here, I'm new, I haven't actually lurked that long (breaking the trend of 'long time lurker', etc), but I've poked in here from time to time over the years. But, long-time Fan of Randi, sceptic, non-theist, etc. Glad to be here :)

Prometheus 6th November 2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 7735470)
:o

Sometimes I .stalk. follow a NewBs progress, just to see how they are doing. I did that with IAmWhIAm, after that huge first post, but that turned into a waste of time. He made me want to break rule 0. iamtheillumnati got itself banned.

Can you think of any that have gone on to great stuff? I should do the research, maybe have a 'NewB of the Month' poll.

I remember welcoming UncaYimmy to the forum here. :boxedin:

Ketyk 7th November 2011 08:51 AM

I just went back to see if there were any forum-famous people I welcomed. I found only one: Geek Goddess in 2006.

arthwollipot 8th November 2011 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 7738446)
I just went back to see if there were any forum-famous people I welcomed. I found only one: Geek Goddess in 2006.

*High five!*

amb 8th November 2011 05:18 AM

Most of the people I have ever welcomed have disappeared without a trace. Perhaps I layed in on a little too thick? Maybe the menu could be better?

nontaninjer 8th November 2011 06:23 AM

Hello

I am not a ninjer* only due to a typo I am nontaninjer.

I spent years studying the so called "occult sciences" as a child and adolescent before finally becoming disillusioned with the people on the new age and pagan scenes and emerging as a rationalist as an adult.

In recent years I have had some interesting experiences that lead me to conclude that there may be more to life than current science can explain.

Having said that I hate and detest fake psychics, snake oil merchants and religious entrepreneurs who use spirituality as a way of abusing and exploiting vulnerable people. Unfortunately there is a lot of this kind of exploitation about and much of it goes unnoticed and unpunished.

If I am honest I do think that there is more to the world than current science can understand however I think that such things are not subject to commercial exploitation and are difficult to study for all kinds of reasons.

My interests and passions include depth psychology, music and crime fighting. I am especially concerned about the infiltration of mental health services by new age woo merchants and criminals and in researching and understanding money laundering in relation to new age criminal activity.

*waves* :)

draconia 8th November 2011 07:06 AM

Hi all,

Came over these forums by chance and started reading a bit.
Wow, just the same citrical thinking and discussion I like and then...
put the gigabits into the floppydrive, and... booom, I'm a member :)

All my life I have been pondering about, almost everything and critical thinking comes natural to me.
I question most everything and always look at the reason or motive to any one action instead of the action or reaction itself.
Because of this I find the persue of knowledge and understanding the fun part and actually understanding not as much :)

Handshake and introduction, :relieved:

SusanB-M1 8th November 2011 09:10 AM

Welcome to all newbies. I always keep up to date with this thread - have done since I joined!

draconia, I know what you mean about always being a critical thinker, although I didn't understand that that was what I was until comparatively latish in my life. That was mainly because it was simply 'not done' to raise the subject of religion when I was young, and I certainly never came across atheism. I just used to read anything and everything, but realise that I was very lucky to have the kind of genetic make-up, or whatever it was, that made me think, 'Is this TRUE?' and then go in search of the answers, which were not so available then.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-20, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.