International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Welcome! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Welcome new Members! Introduce yourselves here! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64023)

The Man 12th October 2020 08:49 AM

Welcome KayBur, hope the forum makes your quarantine more endurable. Sorry to say that the first thing that came into my mind when reading your name is a event in the highland games called the caber toss. The caber is basically a telephone pole that one tries to toss such that it flips end over end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caber_toss

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Welcome, everyone.

KayBur 13th October 2020 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Man (Post 13255263)
Welcome KayBur, hope the forum makes your quarantine more endurable. Sorry to say that the first thing that came into my mind when reading your name is a event in the highland games called the caber toss. The caber is basically a telephone pole that one tries to toss such that it flips end over end.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Welcome, everyone.

An interesting association. I like people with associative thinking. I myself often have different associations. I don't even know how it started. But at some point, associations began to come from watched films or read books.

The Man 13th October 2020 06:34 AM

Thanks, I find associative thinking helps balance out my tendency for dissociative thinking. I try to do both in moderation.

Having never been able to get through a written work of fiction longer than a short story, though I can read a technical manual or reference book from end to end. For me the associations are generally with quotes, movies, TV, song lyrics and a smattering of poetry. A lot of times things just seem to click together easily for me. A big advantage in my job of working with complex integrated elecro-mechanical systems.

KayBur 15th October 2020 07:58 AM

All have their own characteristics. I have had some kind of inability to watch films lately. So I noticed that even if the film is interesting, I still need to either watch something on my tablet, or urgently get the book I wanted to read. In general, there are a lot of small things. But when it comes to reading, I can read for hours.

quadraginta 15th October 2020 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayBur (Post 13258443)
All have their own characteristics. I have had some kind of inability to watch films lately. So I noticed that even if the film is interesting, I still need to either watch something on my tablet, or urgently get the book I wanted to read. In general, there are a lot of small things. But when it comes to reading, I can read for hours.

I used to be able to do both and actually retain most of the content from both.

Those days are long gone. Now when I read with the TV on I just look up every once in a while.

KayBur 16th October 2020 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadraginta (Post 13259040)
I used to be able to do both and actually retain most of the content from both.

Those days are long gone. Now when I read with the TV on I just look up every once in a while.

Iím doing about the same thing now, but Iím still unhappy that I canít just sit and watch a movie. This is especially annoying when my wife and I decided to watch a movie, and I am constantly distracted. The wife is offended, thinks that I am not interested in her. And I don't understand how to explain correctly that I can't just sit and look at the screen right now.

warejohn 23rd November 2020 04:58 AM

Hey everyone. It's me john. I'm 27 years old working as a marketing agent :)

Emily's Cat 23rd November 2020 02:00 PM

Hello warejohn, and welcome.