International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Welcome! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Welcome new Members! Introduce yourselves here! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64023)

COLONEL 16th December 2011 04:55 AM

OH BOY WE HAVE NEWB"S so that means for the week end we will be having our BBQ, Freh sqeezed Goatsmilk , beer,coolade, Roo meat, Cats,Hamsters, Rocky Mountain Oysters,corn,beans,salads,Grayman oatmeal cookies and MINTIES

jcp 17th December 2011 07:45 PM

Hi, all.

I've been looking for a new internet hangout and I've been hearing about this board for years, so I thought I really should come pester all of you.

I don't think I'll be bringing either of my cats to the picnic, though.

COLONEL 17th December 2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcp (Post 7855430)
Hi, all.

I've been looking for a new internet hangout and I've been hearing about this board for years, so I thought I really should come pester all of you.

I don't think I'll be bringing either of my cats to the picnic, though.

Welcome JCP, yes do bring your cats to the BBQ we have a special place to keep them warm:D Have a fresh glass of Goats milk

amb 18th December 2011 02:47 AM

Hi jcp. Yes, your cats are more than welcome. :D

Scruffy 19th December 2011 09:26 AM

Fresh blood

Hi All, I'm new.

Planning on going through the forum looking for discussions on religion, evolutionary psychology and trans-humanism.

I'm a Canadian in my late 30s with a science/engineering background. Grew up in a secular environment. Fascinated by the ever widening gap between what we've learned through science, and what we are biologically programmed for.

Merry Xmas!

anglolawyer 19th December 2011 11:56 AM

Hello everyone. I am an English lawyer. I have joined this forum due to an interest in the case of Amanda Knox (better late than never) now entering a happier and hopefully decisive phase.

Merry Christmas

amb 19th December 2011 11:29 PM

Welcome lawyer. We could do with some legal advice. :)

RoseMontague 20th December 2011 11:16 AM

Welcome anglolawyer. I vaguely recall reading about that case.

COLONEL 20th December 2011 05:48 PM

Welcome anglolawyer. Have a glass of fresh Goats milk. By the way AMB & I might need a lawyer to Help us out with PETA ,they do not like what we do with cats or any animal we BBQ for that matter.

amb 21st December 2011 01:01 AM

No worries Colonel. I have special permission from them to eat any animal as long as we share with them. :D

sherry5851 22nd December 2011 05:56 AM

Another Newbie

Hello All,
I've come here because I live with a conspiracy theorist and, because of a lawsuit I'm involved with, I'm FB friends with many conspiracy theorists. After the G20 in Toronto in 2010, I came very close to believing in the NWO but started to think logically after a while and doing research. I avoided watching "Zeitgeist" when I was vulnerable and have since read much of the debunking of the movie. I still haven't watched it. From chemtrails to Illuminati to Ameros, I have the whole bunch following me. I've now taken to posting refutations but have trouble arguing points because I don't have the knowledge. I'm hoping to learn more here to bolster my arguments.

I'm also sorta funny when I get to know you...

COLONEL 22nd December 2011 07:33 PM

Welccome Sherry 5851 We are all a little funny here have a glass of goats milk and pull up a chair and relax

amb 23rd December 2011 12:02 AM

Sherry, may I suggest some reading material that would help you immensely. "The Skeptic's Dictionary" by Robert Todd Carroll the creator of Skepdic.com It's available from Wiley books. wily.com Meanwhile have a seat, enjoy your glass of goats milk while the rabbit in the oven is cooking.

pglenn 23rd December 2011 07:07 PM

new member to the forum but definitely no stranger to JREF and Critical Thinking. I actually met "the man" James Randi about 8years ago. I visited the previous office in Fort Lauderdale just to ask if they had a photo and preferably autographed photo of him that they could give me (I would have paid for it). Instead they sat me while they called him (he was actually in the office - wow) to get him to sign one, and I ended up going into his study with him and spent almost 2hours talking one-on-one with him!!! SO cool, and he was obviously extremely friendly and personable. I am waiting for them to open their new office in Plantation so I can visit again.

I recently started my own site patsrants.com where I will be voicing off on various topics of interest to myself and hopefully others, and I also have a site where I sell Hot Sauces. That in addition to my technical support job for software. I am definitely full of interests :-)

I look forward to interacting here with like-minded free and critical thinking individuals

Patrick

Foolmewunz 23rd December 2011 07:45 PM

Welcome, pglenn/Patrick. I've heard a couple of other folks mention that they just dropped by and even had Randi answer the bell and similarly host them for a walk-through and chat. Yeah, we kinda like the old guy here and especially this time of year when all those guys in red suits are trying to look like him. (".... a wink of his eye and a twist of his head, soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread...")

Oh, .... don't promote your hotsauce site, by the way. There's a silly contretemps over linking to commercial sites, even cool ones, going on right now. I presume mentioning blogs is okay, but anything smacking of commercial gets the PTB shorts in a knot. Can't tell, they may decide to launch Skeptic Hot Sauce dot Com and you could be cutting into the lucrative critical thinking jalapeno market.

pglenn 23rd December 2011 08:13 PM

thank you foolmewunz. thats why I gave the blog url but not the commercial, most forums dint like evem unintentional promoting. just trying to tell ppl who I am. and yes randi was very cool, we talked everything from movies to tv to internet to geller (I had to talk that with him), and he even surprised me with some slight of hand magic out of the blue. I didnt know a pair of dice could be so intriguing :-)

Patrick

UnrepentantSinner 24th December 2011 01:10 AM

Here's a little advice on forum usage. Click on the Help button just beneath the banner a the top. The answers to virtually all of your questions (forum rules, code tags, smilie lists, etc.) are there.

As far as forum culture goes? Well, lurkers will know most of the inside jokes, true newbies are just going to have to dicks their own potatoes.

Orphia Nay 24th December 2011 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scruffy (Post 7859246)
Hi All, I'm new.

Planning on going through the forum looking for discussions on religion, evolutionary psychology and trans-humanism.

I'm a Canadian in my late 30s with a science/engineering background. Grew up in a secular environment. Fascinated by the ever widening gap between what we've learned through science, and what we are biologically programmed for.

Merry Xmas!

And a Merry Xmas to you, too! I have Michael Shermer's The Believing Brain by my bed on the top of my pile of books to read next. I think that discusses the gap you mention - at least I hope it does. :) Welcome! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherry5851 (Post 7868715)
Hello All,
I've come here because I live with a conspiracy theorist and, because of a lawsuit I'm involved with, I'm FB friends with many conspiracy theorists. After the G20 in Toronto in 2010, I came very close to believing in the NWO but started to think logically after a while and doing research. I avoided watching "Zeitgeist" when I was vulnerable and have since read much of the debunking of the movie. I still haven't watched it. From chemtrails to Illuminati to Ameros, I have the whole bunch following me. I've now taken to posting refutations but have trouble arguing points because I don't have the knowledge. I'm hoping to learn more here to bolster my arguments.

I'm also sorta funny when I get to know you...

:) Welcome, sherry5851! The conspiracy theories forums here will be very helpful to you, I'm sure. And you'll fit right in with the debunkers, who are a witty bunch. You'll have fun!

BravesFan 24th December 2011 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay (Post 7850450)
Welcome, LogicFail! Great name!
What's the BFF? Is it anything like Abovetopsecret? Those sort of nuts are pretty canny... They sussed that I was part of the NWO.

It was the Bigfoot Forums, well still is... I got banned from there yesterday...lol Finally had heard enough from the lunatic fringe over there and kinda had a blaze of glory meltdown.... Oh well, wine and interwebz don't always mix

COLONEL 24th December 2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pglenn (Post 7873732)
new member to the forum but definitely no stranger to JREF and Critical Thinking. I actually met "the man" James Randi about 8years ago. I visited the previous office in Fort Lauderdale just to ask if they had a photo and preferably autographed photo of him that they could give me (I would have paid for it). Instead they sat me while they called him (he was actually in the office - wow) to get him to sign one, and I ended up going into his study with him and spent almost 2hours talking one-on-one with him!!! SO cool, and he was obviously extremely friendly and personable. I am waiting for them to open their new office in Plantation so I can visit again.

I recently started my own site patsrants.com where I will be voicing off on various topics of interest to myself and hopefully others, and I also have a site where I sell Hot Sauces. That in addition to my technical support job for software. I am definitely full of interests :-)

I look forward to interacting here with like-minded free and critical thinking individuals

Patrick

Welcme to the site PGLENN have a free glass of fresh goats milk, but that will be $269.50 (euro) for advertising your sites and hot sauces here

pglenn 24th December 2011 09:31 AM

well for $269.50 do I at least get to give the names of the sites? LOL I linked to here from my own sites, no charge for that and hoping visitors will bleed over to here, the more intelligent and informed people we have in the world the better off the world will be. time now to start prowling around the topics here, see what I can find. thanks for the milk will go well with my turkey burgers and brussel sprouts. and my cats WONT be going to the BBQ :-)

Patrick

sherry5851 27th December 2011 09:28 AM

Thank you Colonel. I'm sorry I'm so late in replying but the holiday season has kept me fairly busy. I hope to be more active in the future.

sherry5851 27th December 2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb (Post 7871431)
Sherry, may I suggest some reading material that would help you immensely. "The Skeptic's Dictionary" by Robert Todd Carroll the creator of Skepdic.com It's available from Wiley books. wily.com Meanwhile have a seat, enjoy your glass of goats milk while the rabbit in the oven is cooking.

Thank you amb...I will look up that book - I think half my friends will stop being my "friends" but good riddance if they can't take criticism. Hmmm, where did *that* rant come from???

sherry5851 27th December 2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay (Post 7874230)
And a Merry Xmas to you, too! I have Michael Shermer's The Believing Brain by my bed on the top of my pile of books to read next. I think that discusses the gap you mention - at least I hope it does. :) Welcome! :)

:) Welcome, sherry5851! The conspiracy theories forums here will be very helpful to you, I'm sure. And you'll fit right in with the debunkers, who are a witty bunch. You'll have fun!

Looking forward to learning Orphia Nay and being among people who are...what's the word...SANE, that's it!!

Ozmanda 27th December 2011 08:01 PM

Fresh Meat alert!

Hi All, i just joined so thought i would introduce myself..

My name is Amanda, i live in sunny Australia and a big fan of critical thinking and a good debate. I work in international law enforcement field, so in my job i see a LOT of stupid. I also study criminal justice and forensic psychology, so the reasons why some people are so stupid is fascinating:)

So yeah..thats it for now.

- Amanda

amb 27th December 2011 11:43 PM

A very warm and depending which part of Australia you are from, very hot weather wise. It's 38C here today as I'm typing. Colonel will be along shortly with today's menu. :D

arthwollipot 28th December 2011 12:05 AM

Welcome, Ozmanda! Wonderful to see you again.

EvilQuest 28th December 2011 06:43 AM

hi guys. just getting my first post out of the way so for now i'll just say "great to be here!" :)

arthwollipot 28th December 2011 06:50 AM

Now what you need to do is get your post count up. I recommend Humor and Community.

COLONEL 28th December 2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozmanda (Post 7881898)

My name is Amanda, i live in sunny Australia and a big fan of critical thinking and a good debate. I work in international law enforcement field, so in my job i see a LOT of stupid. I also study criminal justice and forensic psychology, so the reasons why some people are so stupid is fascinating:)

- Amanda

Welcome Amanda Have a glass of Goats milk and here is something to think about , As the comedian Ron White has said many times you can't fix stupid

JihadJane 28th December 2011 03:36 PM

There's no shortage of people who try, though, right here in this godforsaken saclike cavity or tube open only at one end.

Scruffy 28th December 2011 06:18 PM

Here's a belated Merry Xmas and a little bit more about me, what with this being the place for introductions. I know you're skeptics, but this is a true Christmas story about me:

I grew up in a secular household and never received any kind of religious information from my parents growing up. Not a word, and I never asked. Then one Christmas season in grade 3 during painting my teacher told us all to paint something related to Christmas. I must have panicked. I knew about Santa and Christmas trees and presents and all that, and I should have stuck to what I knew but I was also dimly aware that Christmas had something to do with God or Jesus or something and was probably afraid of being exposed as a Christmas wanna-be, so I decided to do a religious Christmas painting.

As you may recall, I knew nothing about religion or Christianity -nothing- but I did have some vague notions. God had a son, Jesus who was killed on a cross. Jesus was kind of like an angel or something. So, clearly, there is some good in killing angels. This was also about the time that I was developing an interest in anatomy in general. When Fred Flinstone ate his dinner there was always that giant severed leg with the round white bone in the middle.

I will never forget the look on my grade 3 teachers face when I explained to her that my painting represented Christmas because it was an angel getting its head cut off. It was done quite well as I remember it: the hand, the knife, the round fleshy severed neck with the white bone right in the middle. They say disgust is the last facial expression children learn to recognize and I think I know the exact day that I learned to recognize it.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

amb 28th December 2011 09:56 PM

Welcome Scruffy. That's quite a story. Religion is just like a fairy tale, only it's in a book that's claimed to be the word of the grand fairy of them all. Now relax and put your feet up and Colonel will be along shortly with this weeks special xmas menu. :)

COLONEL 30th December 2011 08:41 AM

Welcome to all you NewB's this weekend BBQ is short and sweet In celebration of the NewYear It will be a RIB BBQ party with Beef, Pork, Cat ,Roo,Hamsters you name it we will have the rib, For your drinking pleasure there will be Goats milk fresh from the Goat Champagne by the gallons ,Assoted beers and wines even some Honey wine made by the Grayman
HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR

amb 1st January 2012 02:53 AM

Yes, I confirm that. Everyone, have a great 2012.

daxi 1st January 2012 05:00 AM

Hello everyone. I live in England & my hobbies are amateur radio (ham radio) and amateur magic, especially escapology & mentalism. I have also trained as a hypnotist.
My mentalist interest areas are tarot, with these I do a face down 3 card reading, where I only turn the cards over after I have read them. Past life regression, which is a massively attractive hypnotic area to work as a mentalist magician & the tricks used by the original spiritualists. The old spiritualists illusions fit perfectly with very basic mentalism & escapology, as many did tricks in the dark after being tied into a seat.

amb 1st January 2012 05:15 AM

Welcome daxi. Colonel will be along shortly with the latest menu.

COLONEL 1st January 2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daxi (Post 7893071)
Hello everyone. I live in England & my hobbies are amateur radio (ham radio) and amateur magic, especially escapology & mentalism. I have also trained as a hypnotist.
My mentalist interest areas are tarot, with these I do a face down 3 card reading, where I only turn the cards over after I have read them. Past life regression, which is a massively attractive hypnotic area to work as a mentalist magician & the tricks used by the original spiritualists. The old spiritualists illusions fit perfectly with very basic mentalism & escapology, as many did tricks in the dark after being tied into a seat.

Welcom DAXI So you are a amature? sorry but here you will be just a NewB as we do not have an amature NewB status have a glass of fresh goats milk, take a seat and you can get to know us

Lenligmah 1st January 2012 12:26 PM

Long time follower of Randi. Happy to be aboard. Happy New Year to all.

Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea,
never regains its original dimensions.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. -

COLONEL 1st January 2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenligmah (Post 7893735)
Long time follower of Randi. Happy to be aboard. Happy New Year to all.

Welcome to the forum Lenligmah all NewB's get a fresh glass of Goats milk so drink up. :D

lionking 1st January 2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozmanda (Post 7881898)

- Amanda

AFP? Don't worry, I won't tell.;)

Welcome. Can't have enough Aussies here. We take over the forum when the Yanks and the Brits are asleep.

COLONEL 1st January 2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lionking (Post 7894704)
AFP? Don't worry, I won't tell.;)

Welcome. Can't have enough Aussies here. We take over the forum when the Yanks and the Brits are asleep.

Well this Yank is still awake :D:D:D

Lenligmah 3rd January 2012 11:58 AM

Hey, don't mind if I do. Love goats. Favorite is Nubian. Had a goat herd once - Toggenburgs, Alpines, Saanens, and La Mancha (not my favorite). Hope to have goats again. The are quite the characters. Thanks for the welcome.

Silhouette 3rd January 2012 02:53 PM

I could smell the BBQ from over the fence and thought I'd introduce myself!

I've been a fan of James Randi for a long time, and thought it would be really cool to meet some other people who were also skeptics. I've been an atheist for many years, but have not always been very skeptical. I look forward to engaging with you in one of the many,many threads in this forum!

COLONEL 3rd January 2012 06:53 PM

Welcome Silhouette, Have some Goats milk and yes our BBQ is one of the fiest around, so enjoy your self

Silhouette 3rd January 2012 07:36 PM

Funny, after reading this whole thread, I've developed a craving for Goat's milk, so thanks!

COLONEL 3rd January 2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silhouette (Post 7900798)
Funny, after reading this whole thread, I've developed a craving for Goat's milk, so thanks!

You're welcome

arthwollipot 4th January 2012 05:12 AM

You read the whole thread? :eye-poppi I'm impressed!

amb 4th January 2012 05:18 AM

The whole 13 pages? :eye-poppi

COLONEL 4th January 2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 7901649)
You read the whole thread? :eye-poppi I'm impressed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb (Post 7901656)
The whole 13 pages? :eye-poppi

Some people have a lot of time on their hands :D