International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Welcome! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Welcome new Members! Introduce yourselves here! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64023)

Sandy McCroskey 22nd July 2015 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz (Post 10780610)
That's an honorary "title" that changes as you hit certain posting milestones. You'll note your own changing as your post count goes up. "Penultimate Amazing" is the highest level, 10,000 posts and over. And the penultimate part is a hangover from when it was the JREF Forums. Everyone knew that The Amazing Randi was THE amazing person, so the best you could ever hope to achieve was next-to-best.

Oh, and my "custom title" or similar are available if you beseech the Title Pixies in the thread below. They are known to take bribes of chocolate, beer and bacon. If you ask nicely, they will change your title to something oh-so-clever.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=45138

Aha! I hadn't noticed that more than one person was "penultimate," but I did figure out the part about honorary titles (so I was a mere "Scholar," while the conspiracy theorist I was battling was a "Critical Thinker," eh?).

rgbeard 22nd July 2015 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurice Ledifficile (Post 10780321)
Welcome. Too bad you're not the broker in the family, perhaps you could help with this nonsense:



With your link, I looked at that thread.

It reminded me of a saying that a former co-worker used to commonly say: "I wouldn't **** that with a stolen d**k."


(I believe he stole that saying from George Carlin.)

Edited by zooterkin:  Edited for rule 10. Please review the Membership Agreement you signed up to!

COLONEL 24th July 2015 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgbeard (Post 10779322)
I'm Rusty. I tripped on this forum following the ARS article on the ethernet cables.

This place looks like my kind of place and my kind of crazies in it.

My wife and I spend about half our time in Phx, AZ and the other half in Ensenada, Mexico.

Welcome and I have a question for your wife, what would be a good stock to purchase that could be sold with a high return after a few months. I do not trust the people at bank America that are handling some of our funds and I'm always looking for that better deal.

exasperated 18th August 2015 10:45 AM

Hello
 
Hi, came here to find some sanity. Probably won't post much as I'm quite shy and there is a wealth of information already here that will likely answer my questions.

Am currently rather interested in crop circles and have started browsing the many related threads here. I think crop circles/figures are often beautiful works of art. However I seem to keep offending people when I don't immediately agree they're made by aliens. I don't disagree they're made by aliens because I have no idea how they are made. I also have no idea how most magic tricks are done, but don't immediately assume alien intervention! Why are people so dismissive of the skills and talents of their own species?! Like the theories that people couldn't possibly have built the pyramids or moved the Stonehenge rocks... Argh!!!

It also really bugs me how I'm often accused of being closed minded (even brain washed by the 'system'!) when I'm the one who actually listens and thinks about the woo/quack theories so I can try to understand and discuss them. Even accept them if they stand up to scrutiny/evidence/etc. But when I try to put my theories across I'm talked over, eyes are rolled, sometimes sympathy and sighs exuded! Argh!!!

And breath... I seem to have typed rather more than planned! Thanks for the venting opportunity :)

Maurice Ledifficile 18th August 2015 11:03 AM

I don't speak for anyone else, but I do welcome you to the boards. You'll find plenty of information and several arguments to take home for use against woomeisters. It's good to see some people doing research when faced with woo.

I hope you have not actually, as you say, accepted any woo/quack theories that have stood up to scrutiny/evidence. When there is enough evidence to support a concept, it is neither woo not quackery.

Here's my favourite recommendation: http://www.skepdic.com

The Man 18th August 2015 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exasperated (Post 10827615)
Hi, came here to find some sanity. Probably won't post much as I'm quite shy and there is a wealth of information already here that will likely answer my questions.

Am currently rather interested in crop circles and have started browsing the many related threads here. I think crop circles/figures are often beautiful works of art. However I seem to keep offending people when I don't immediately agree they're made by aliens. I don't disagree they're made by aliens because I have no idea how they are made. I also have no idea how most magic tricks are done, but don't immediately assume alien intervention! Why are people so dismissive of the skills and talents of their own species?! Like the theories that people couldn't possibly have built the pyramids or moved the Stonehenge rocks... Argh!!!

It also really bugs me how I'm often accused of being closed minded (even brain washed by the 'system'!) when I'm the one who actually listens and thinks about the woo/quack theories so I can try to understand and discuss them. Even accept them if they stand up to scrutiny/evidence/etc. But when I try to put my theories across I'm talked over, eyes are rolled, sometimes sympathy and sighs exuded! Argh!!!

And breath... I seem to have typed rather more than planned! Thanks for the venting opportunity :)


Eh, I expect that on finding art, thatís just made to look interesting, without some deep underlying socio-political sub text just seems alien to some these days.

Welcome to the forum exasperated.

Foolmewunz 18th August 2015 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exasperated (Post 10827615)
Hi, came here to find some sanity. Probably won't post much as I'm quite shy and there is a wealth of information already here that will likely answer my questions.

Am currently rather interested in crop circles and have started browsing the many related threads here. I think crop circles/figures are often beautiful works of art. However I seem to keep offending people when I don't immediately agree they're made by aliens. I don't disagree they're made by aliens because I have no idea how they are made. I also have no idea how most magic tricks are done, but don't immediately assume alien intervention! Why are people so dismissive of the skills and talents of their own species?! Like the theories that people couldn't possibly have built the pyramids or moved the Stonehenge rocks... Argh!!!

It also really bugs me how I'm often accused of being closed minded (even brain washed by the 'system'!) when I'm the one who actually listens and thinks about the woo/quack theories so I can try to understand and discuss them. Even accept them if they stand up to scrutiny/evidence/etc. But when I try to put my theories across I'm talked over, eyes are rolled, sometimes sympathy and sighs exuded! Argh!!!

And breath... I seem to have typed rather more than planned! Thanks for the venting opportunity :)

Hey and welcome aboard, exasperated.

There's a common ploy in the woo community; you have no real evidence to go by so you accuse neophyte skeptics of not having an open mind, knowing that skeptics and critical thinkers wear "open mind" as a figurative amulet around our figurative necks. It's, of course, nonsense. As Randi was known to iterate, "You need to keep an open mind, but not so open as to allow your brains to fall out."

And the ploy sometimes works. When you get right down to it, I'll admit to not having 100% certainty that Pteradactyls didn't attack the WTC towers on 9/11. Of course, I'm currently at 99.9999978 certainty, but the woo-slingers will latch onto that minuscule possibility and try to get you to concede, "Well, yeah, if you put it like that, I guess there's a small possibility..." Gotcha! Ah ha! See? So you admit that the aurora borealis could be caused by Eskimo ghosts having a weenie roast in heaven!

We see this gambit used all the time, whether with ancient civilizations, bigfootery, political conspiracies, or myriad other topics.

bruto 18th August 2015 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exasperated (Post 10827615)
Hi, came here to find some sanity. Probably won't post much as I'm quite shy and there is a wealth of information already here that will likely answer my questions.

Am currently rather interested in crop circles and have started browsing the many related threads here. I think crop circles/figures are often beautiful works of art. However I seem to keep offending people when I don't immediately agree they're made by aliens. I don't disagree they're made by aliens because I have no idea how they are made. I also have no idea how most magic tricks are done, but don't immediately assume alien intervention! Why are people so dismissive of the skills and talents of their own species?! Like the theories that people couldn't possibly have built the pyramids or moved the Stonehenge rocks... Argh!!!

It also really bugs me how I'm often accused of being closed minded (even brain washed by the 'system'!) when I'm the one who actually listens and thinks about the woo/quack theories so I can try to understand and discuss them. Even accept them if they stand up to scrutiny/evidence/etc. But when I try to put my theories across I'm talked over, eyes are rolled, sometimes sympathy and sighs exuded! Argh!!!

And breath... I seem to have typed rather more than planned! Thanks for the venting opportunity :)

I think sometimes a common thread to belief in the supernatural and alien intervention is the presumption that nobody could be that much smarter than the person believing. There's a great comfort level to the assumption that if i don't understand something it is because it is beyond all understanding. I don't know how to make a crop circle (nor would it occur to me to get together with a dozen other people, etc. etc.) therefore it must be spacemen.

Confessing to a bit of snarkiness tonight, I suspect that the same kind of people who presume that alien gods must have done all the hard stuff they can't understand are more or less the same people who think the best world leaders are failed businessmen and blowhard millionaires with whom they could see themselves sharing a beer and a policy suggestion.

Welcome to the asylum.

exasperated 19th August 2015 09:27 AM

Thank you for the welcome messages and advice. Made me smile, giggle, and feel comfortable! Also thanks for the Skeptic's Dictionary link, great resource!

Looking forward to reading more :)

SusanB-M1 19th August 2015 09:58 AM

Good to see new names here - welcome.
I have been following a crop circle thread on another forum and it's just amazing how those who opt for aliens ignore the questions that arise as to who they are, where did they come from, and of course how, etc!! :D

bruto 19th August 2015 11:07 AM

I've always been amused by crop circles in part because so many people see the grand mathematical designs, which are often quite beautiful, and seem to read them backwards. It's such a beautiful design, and it embodies a mathematical principle! Wow! Aliens!

It apparently never has occurred to them that just about all mathematical ideas, when graphically expressed, are beautiful.

Maurice Ledifficile 19th August 2015 02:46 PM

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...en-Stomper.jpg








In the original post, you can just see the image, but I can't seem to replicate this effect!

Foolmewunz 19th August 2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurice Ledifficile (Post 10830024)
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...en-Stomper.jpg








In the original post, you can just see the image, but I can't seem to replicate this effect!

Is that our very own "Stray Cat", editor in chief at Squid Fishing Monthly?

Maurice Ledifficile 19th August 2015 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz (Post 10830229)
Is that our very own "Stray Cat", editor in chief at Squid Fishing Monthly?

Yep. Still today, I just can't think of crop circles and not picture this alien with his board. Memorable.

fedupwithCT 23rd August 2015 05:36 PM

Younger Skeptic Here
 
I am 26 years old and for half of my life I have been learning about and following conspiracy theories. My interest in Conspiracy Theories first stemmed from my love of the X-Files. At first I fell for them and believed in many of them, now I know more.

My very first CT love was aliens and UFOs and all that lore, but it stemmed from the fact that I lived right under a flight path to Newark International Airport, all those lights in the sky made quite the wrong impression on my young mind.

I am an avid researcher, part-time writer, political analyst, and technologist. I work for the Catholic Church but in the middle of the grueling process of getting a job at the SEC. So needless to say I am a Republican, but probably the most moderate Republican you have ever met and I'm not a political activist! My personality is best described as a cynical optimist. With a healthy dosage of science fiction day dreaming. (Otherwise I couldn't write my stories could I?) So obviously, doomsdaying and conspiracy theories turn me off.

Because CTs often have a blend of politics I focus a lot of my attention on the following sub-groups in CT lore: Global Warming Eco Freaks, Net Neutrality and other technology sensationalists, 9/11 nuts (mostly due to their prominence in CT lore itself), Medical Quacks and Snakeoil Salesman, Libertarians, Privacy Activists, People who act like Vegan is a religion, The Tea Party, Constitutionalists, Atheism Crusaders, doomsdayers, race baiters of any color, and stupid youtube propagandists.

I hope this is the place for me, if I could have majored in Conspiracy Theories in college. I would have.

Prism 23rd August 2015 05:44 PM

At last!! I live!

And now my first order of business shall be to raid the great holdings of this "Inter-national Skeptics Forum" until I have secured for myself the funds for an ava-tar.

Where do you good fellows suggest I start?

(Note: Not all my posts will be like this. Promise)

COLONEL 23rd August 2015 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prism (Post 10836443)
At last!! I live!

And now my first order of business shall be to raid the great holdings of this "Inter-national Skeptics Forum" until I have secured for myself the funds for an ava-tar.

Where do you good fellows suggest I start?

(Note: Not all my posts will be like this. Promise)

First let me say welcome and second go and try some of the word games here is a link to the three word story. read a few of the comments and you will get the idea how it is played.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...8#post10836458

COLONEL 23rd August 2015 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedupwithCT (Post 10836432)
I am 26 years old and for half of my life I have been learning about and following conspiracy theories. My interest in Conspiracy Theories first stemmed from my love of the X-Files. At first I fell for them and believed in many of them, now I know more.


I hope this is the place for me, if I could have majored in Conspiracy Theories in college. I would have.

Gee when I first saw your name I thought you were fed up with the State of Connecticut and as going to say I could not blame you OH well
Welcome to the Forum

Maurice Ledifficile 23rd August 2015 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedupwithCT (Post 10836432)
I am 26 years old and for half of my life I have been learning about and following conspiracy theories. My interest in Conspiracy Theories first stemmed from my love of the X-Files. At first I fell for them and believed in many of them, now I know more.

My very first CT love was aliens and UFOs and all that lore, but it stemmed from the fact that I lived right under a flight path to Newark International Airport, all those lights in the sky made quite the wrong impression on my young mind.

I am an avid researcher, part-time writer, political analyst, and technologist. I work for the Catholic Church but in the middle of the grueling process of getting a job at the SEC. So needless to say I am a Republican, but probably the most moderate Republican you have ever met and I'm not a political activist! My personality is best described as a cynical optimist. With a healthy dosage of science fiction day dreaming. (Otherwise I couldn't write my stories could I?) So obviously, doomsdaying and conspiracy theories turn me off.

Because CTs often have a blend of politics I focus a lot of my attention on the following sub-groups in CT lore: Global Warming Eco Freaks, Net Neutrality and other technology sensationalists, 9/11 nuts (mostly due to their prominence in CT lore itself), Medical Quacks and Snakeoil Salesman, Libertarians, Privacy Activists, People who act like Vegan is a religion, The Tea Party, Constitutionalists, Atheism Crusaders, doomsdayers, race baiters of any color, and stupid youtube propagandists.

I hope this is the place for me, if I could have majored in Conspiracy Theories in college. I would have.

A welcome from me. Excellent first post, IMO. It's great to see where a forero stands right out of the gate. I can't wait to discover what a "race baiter" is.

I'm afraid you'll find a lot of vocal atheists here, but there are quite a few believers as well. Enjoy your ride.

Prism 23rd August 2015 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 10836465)
First let me say welcome and second go and try some of the word games here is a link to the three word story. read a few of the comments and you will get the idea how it is played.

Well, thanks for the recommendation. :)

Hopefully I'll make more substantiative posts too.

fedupwithCT 23rd August 2015 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurice Ledifficile (Post 10836490)
A welcome from me. Excellent first post, IMO. It's great to see where a forero stands right out of the gate. I can't wait to discover what a "race baiter" is.

I'm afraid you'll find a lot of vocal atheists here, but there are quite a few believers as well. Enjoy your ride.

I'll share that later. hmm...the vocal atheists are always a fascinating group of people, but I really don't care about religion all that much and the hard right ringers bother me a lot more than they do, except when atheists turn into babbling idiots as well. Politics and conspiracy theories do strange things to even the smartest people. I'll always be the one who tries to balance it out.

A_Gene_Young 14th September 2015 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 (Post 10829414)
Good to see new names here - welcome.
I have been following a crop circle thread on another forum and it's just amazing how those who opt for aliens ignore the questions that arise as to who they are, where did they come from, and of course how, etc!! :D

The "how" really confuses me, considering the vastness of space and all that.

COLONEL 21st September 2015 04:05 AM

What is going on here, no new members to welcome? OK people if you have not done it yet invite your friends to join, lets get some now blood in here.

Foolmewunz 21st September 2015 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 10886338)
What is going on here, no new members to welcome? OK people if you have not done it yet invite your friends to join, lets get some now blood in here.

Actually, we have about twenty new members in September. I'm not sure if the confirming emails still suggest people come introduce themselves, but the downturn dates to the changing of the home page... or at least that's my suspicion. Due to someone finding out how to game the system, we had numerous new members who never got approved, but who got "Welcome our newest member: LisaIsABitch". This troll did it about twenty/thirty times and they changed that line to now read "Welcome our newest members."

It could also have something to do with the change of ownership. Not that Icerat's not attracting people, but that the ISF isn't attracting people to a direct cause (or perceived cause) like the James Randi etc... did. Maybe people not attracted to "a cause" aren't as prone to introducing themselves?

Jim_Mich 23rd September 2015 04:57 PM

JREF Million Dollar Challange Info.
 
I haven't been here in awhile, and I see the forum has changed to the International Skeptics Forum.

I'm looking for the current rules and application form for the Million Dollar Challenge. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Jim

Edit: found my answer...

Quote:

We plan on continuing the Million Dollar Challenge as a means for educating the public about paranormal claims.

Over the years, we have spent a great deal of time dealing with claims ranging from yet another dowsing claim to some VERY eccentric and untestable claims. The overwhelming majority refuse to fill out the application or even state a claim that can be tested. Some of them show up in person and demand to be tested while they wait. We can no longer justify the resources to interact with these people.

Effective immediately, JREF will no longer accept applications directly from people claiming to have a paranormal power. We will however offer our Challenge to anyone who has passed a preliminary test that meets with our approval. We will provide example protocols early next year. Of course, any established psychic may always contact JREF to be tested directly (preferably with an independent, third party TV crew.)

Maurice Ledifficile 23rd September 2015 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_Mich (Post 10891703)
I haven't been here in awhile, and I see the forum has changed to the International Skeptics Forum.

I'm looking for the current rules and application form for the Million Dollar Challenge. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Jim

Edit: found my answer...

You'll find all the info you need on The Jref site. Note the following, from Wikipedia:

The discussions between the JREF and applicants were at one time posted on a public discussion board for all to see. Since the resignation of Randi's assistant, Mr. Kramer—and subsequent changes to challenge rules requiring applicants to have demonstrated considerable notability—new applications are no longer logged, but the JREF continues to maintain an archive of previous applicants.

arthwollipot 23rd September 2015 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_Mich (Post 10891703)
I haven't been here in awhile, and I see the forum has changed to the International Skeptics Forum.

I'm looking for the current rules and application form for the Million Dollar Challenge. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Jim

Edit: found my answer...

This forum is no longer affiliated in any way with the James Randi Educational Foundation. It is privately owned and operated. It does maintain the archive of posts that were made on the JREF Forum, but the JREF maintains neither financial interest nor editorial influence over this forum.

COLONEL 24th September 2015 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz (Post 10887841)
Actually, we have about twenty new members in September. I'm not sure if the confirming emails still suggest people come introduce themselves, but the downturn dates to the changing of the home page... or at least that's my suspicion. Due to someone finding out how to game the system, we had numerous new members who never got approved, but who got "Welcome our newest member: LisaIsABitch". This troll did it about twenty/thirty times and they changed that line to now read "Welcome our newest members."

It could also have something to do with the change of ownership. Not that Icerat's not attracting people, but that the ISF isn't attracting people to a direct cause (or perceived cause) like the James Randi etc... did. Maybe people not attracted to "a cause" aren't as prone to introducing themselves?

Thanks for up dating me

commando71 25th September 2015 03:29 PM

I'm posting to heed the call of the COLONEL. I joined the forum on January 10th, but this is my first post.

To summarize myself, I'm a seeker of practical knowledge (social, business, historic...) I have no specialized training or experience when it comes to many of the topics posted here, hence my tendency to listen instead of speak. I appreciate the diversity of thought that is found here, and the higher level of debate that usually occurs within these threads.

I am a theist, and I believe a theist can indeed be a skeptic. As a matter of fact, I find I have more in common with atheists than modern-day churchgoers, who can't seem to identify the blatant hypocrisies of a Joel Osteen or Joyce Meyer (want to buy a seven million dollar mansion, anyone?)

I may chime in here and there, but rest assured I'll be reading your comments on a daily basis. And for those comments, I thank you.

arthwollipot 26th September 2015 12:46 AM

Welcome commando71. I'm sure you'll fit right in. Listening before speaking is a good policy in most cases.

COLONEL 26th September 2015 03:30 AM

Welcome commando 71 and thanks for heeding the call.

quadraginta 26th September 2015 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 10896263)
Welcome commando71. I'm sure you'll fit right in. Listening before speaking is a good policy in most cases.


Around here I'm not sure we can say that the one naturally follows the other with any consistency.

:p

But you're right. It is a good policy.

MattusMaximus 30th September 2015 04:59 PM

I'm back
 
Howdy all. I've been gone for about a year now, and I won't be posting as much as I used to, but I'll pop in now and again just to keep an eye on all of you rascals ;)

Cheers - MM

ETA: Is there no "Members Only" or "Community" section like on the old boards?

arthwollipot 30th September 2015 05:23 PM

Welcome back, Mattus. All the old boards are the same as ever. The only ones that have changed are the JREF boards, since this forum is no longer affiliated in any way with the JREF.

HghrSymmetry 1st October 2015 06:35 PM

Whoa, an MM sighting!

Welcome.

organicrobot 22nd October 2015 12:09 AM

Long time lurker, first time poster. Didn't realize I had a previous account from the JREF days, I hope I didn't register another one by mistake. Anywho, I like technology, secular humanism, and all sorts of liberal arts things. Looking forward to having fun discussions here.

COLONEL 22nd October 2015 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by organicrobot (Post 10941129)
Long time lurker, first time poster. Didn't realize I had a previous account from the JREF days, I hope I didn't register another one by mistake. Anywho, I like technology, secular humanism, and all sorts of liberal arts things. Looking forward to having fun discussions here.

Welcome aboard

The Sparrow 29th October 2015 04:03 AM

Hello. Glad to be on board.

I joined because there seem to be a lot of smart thoughtful folks here, and I think the best way to learn about an issue is to hear both sides discuss it.

I am:
An atheist
A bit of a socialist
A musician who plays early early keyboards - specifically clavichord, harpsichord and a little organ
a fan of early 1900s art, culture, ideas, technology
a bit of a WW1 buff.

hope to chat with y'all

The Sparrow.

COLONEL 29th October 2015 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Sparrow (Post 10952876)
Hello. Glad to be on board.

I joined because there seem to be a lot of smart thoughtful folks here, and I think the best way to learn about an issue is to hear both sides discuss it.

I am:
An atheist
A bit of a socialist
A musician who plays early early keyboards - specifically clavichord, harpsichord and a little organ
a fan of early 1900s art, culture, ideas, technology
a bit of a WW1 buff.

hope to chat with y'all

The Sparrow.

Welcome Sparrow, just find something you like here and jump right in to the conversation

arthwollipot 29th October 2015 04:10 AM

I love clavichords. Somewhere I've got a 4 CD set of Bach's Well-Tempered Klavier - Book 1 is played on the clavichord, Book 2 on the harpsichord. It's beautiful.

Ashorn 30th October 2015 07:00 AM

As a long term lurker who has recently posted a couple of things I thought I would introduce myself.

I am UK based with a background in accountancy / business management. Originally had an undergrad level training in physical sciences (chemistry and biochemistry) so I maintain a (very) amateur interest in the sciences these days.

Interested in (but not active in) UK politics and since I lived and worked in the US for a short while I also look in on US politics.

I will probably continue to lurk mostly but will post when interested enough, knowledgeable enough, outraged enough or bored enough:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattusMaximus (Post 10904275)

ETA: Is there no "Members Only" or "Community" section like on the old boards?

I actually registered back on the old JREF forums and I used to be able to see these forums referred to above. Now, however I get the "insufficient privileges" message when I try to access them. As with links do I have to have a high enough post count etc ?

Locknar 30th October 2015 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashorn (Post 10954751)
I actually registered back on the old JREF forums and I used to be able to see these forums referred to above. Now, however I get the "insufficient privileges" message when I try to access them. As with links do I have to have a high enough post count etc ?

I took a look, seems there was a glitch in your permission settings; should be good to go now. If not, drop me a PM or email at locknar@internationalskeptics.com

The Sparrow 2nd November 2015 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 10952885)
I love clavichords...

That's because they are awesome!

I do some 'modern' music on them too, Bartok works really well. ;)

Tony Trout 11th November 2015 09:39 AM

Howdy, everyone!

I'm a new member here and I found the forum while looking for consipiratorial things such as 9/11 (even though I have my own belief of what happened that tragic day) and other stuff. I'm looking forward to being here!

I'm 39 and I suffer with Cerebral Palsy & Hydrocephalus & Arthritis. I also deal with chronic pain issues and some days are a living hell for me, pain-wise. :(

But, I'm tickled to be here and I'm hoping to have a brand-new custom-built guitar that is a replica of what former Byrds' lead guitarist, Clarence White, played. Country singer Marty Stuart now owns White's legendary guitar. :)

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself! Thanks for having me!!

Take Care,
Tony Trout

COLONEL 11th November 2015 12:38 PM

Welcome Tony Trout I'm sure once you get going here you will find a lot to do and maybe even take you mind off the pain. I know it works for me at times.

EnochForgive 18th November 2015 08:31 PM

Hello
 
Hello everyone I'm Gordon. Thank you for admitting me into this forum. I hope to meet very interesting folks here and have in depth conversations. I don't really have much to say at first but just give me a chance to open up like a bud.

Pixel42 19th November 2015 12:18 AM

Welcome Gordon.

COLONEL 19th November 2015 05:08 AM

Welcome Gordon, you could tell us a little bit about your self, what you like to do or are interested in, that way someone here could point you in the direction of a forum you might be interested in.

Ketyk 19th November 2015 01:44 PM

I remember when I came her, about ten years ago I was an uneducated jerk. Now I am just a jerk.

But there are so many ways to learn here. I usually just learn and get on the humor page.

Thanks James for my informal education into reality.

EnochForgive 19th November 2015 08:11 PM

Well I am a student studying anthropology. I like to read and write. Have an interest in art,poetry, literature, religion, politics, and history. I love social criticism as well.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-20, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.