International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Welcome! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Welcome new Members! Introduce yourselves here! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64023)

Rockhopper 19th October 2011 04:43 AM

Hi all,

I am a long time lurker who has eventually signed up. Not sure why as I rarely post on any forum, but my wife and I are trying to set up a little grass roots skeptic meeting and figured the jref would probably be a good resource.

Also, this weekend something really bugged me and I want to find out if I can stop a religious group of people saying 'God' can 'cure cancer'.

I will post about this a little later.

cheers

arthwollipot 19th October 2011 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockhopper (Post 7684218)
Hi all,

I am a long time lurker who has eventually signed up. Not sure why as I rarely post on any forum, but my wife and I are trying to set up a little grass roots skeptic meeting and figured the jref would probably be a good resource.

No problem. Let us know what you need.

COLONEL 19th October 2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockhopper (Post 7684218)
Also, this weekend something really bugged me and I want to find out if I can stop a religious group of people saying 'God' can 'cure cancer'.

Welcome Rockhopper have a fresh glass of Goats milk . In answer to your question I doubt you can stop it, but have fun trying. :D

Rockhopper 19th October 2011 07:47 AM

Hi thanks for the welcome,

It is going to take a while for me to work out how to do the quote thingies etc.

I have always enjoyed reading the forum but have not thought about doing anything proactive for a while. My wife and I set up a website about a year ago which had little response locally and tried a little promo stuff but it still hasn't gathered any momentum (Mostly Moss).

We are based in Cornwall, UK. I am aware that I can not post links, so if you want to look google 'skeptics in cornwall'. We will be adding stuff as and when time allows. To be honest any input/ideas would be good.

Ketyk 19th October 2011 08:22 AM

Hi Rock. I think this is your site.

I forget if newbies like yourself can just code it with [ q u o t e] x [ / q u o t e ] (without the spaces) or not.

I'm sure just posting here will attract some traffic to the site.

As to the 'god cures cancer' part, try starting a thread along those lines in JREFs Religion and Philosophy section. I don't see how trying to stop people from expressing thier views would be helpful. Expressing your own well thought out views with facts to back it up might prove a better tact.

arthwollipot 20th October 2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockhopper (Post 7684675)
Hi thanks for the welcome,

It is going to take a while for me to work out how to do the quote thingies etc.

The 'Help' link is at the top right, and it wants to be your friend!

vjohn82 20th October 2011 01:19 AM

Hello to everyone,

I joined this group as I noticed that my blog had been linked to a thread. I'm Vaughan John Jones, the guy being sued for libel.

I also have another blog called The Faith Fruitcake which looks at all things nonsensical, and has delved into the world of the psychics. Victor Zammit is a particular favourite of mine and his emails to me border on the insane.

Nice to meet you all!

Akhenaten 20th October 2011 01:29 AM

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6e8b167056.gif

Hey, VJ! We have some nuts here that should go well with your fruitcake.

mewsmuse 20th October 2011 06:03 PM

Hi, long time lurker here.
I have been a fan of Mr. Randi's since I was a kid interested in magic, and I love love love his books. I'm also a big fan of Mr. Lancaster and his StopSylvia website. Psychics are my big peeve, and I enjoy seeing Mr. Randi and Mr. Lancaster rip 'em a new one, so to speak.

COLONEL 20th October 2011 08:13 PM

Welcome mewsmuse and any one else I might have missed. Rip in to a glass of my fresh Goats milk

amb 21st October 2011 12:51 AM

Been Friday here in my part of the world, today's menu consists of baked cod fillets served with a glass of holy water as well as the raw goats milk.

trixta 23rd October 2011 10:56 PM

Welcome Rockhopper, vjohn82 and mewsmuse. Welcome to the madness.

Ketyk 24th October 2011 07:43 AM

Poor trixta. Still no personality?

:duck:

Where have all the newbies gone?
Long time passing

Maybe we scare them?
:aaa!

SusanB-M1 24th October 2011 08:03 AM

Rockhopper
May I suggest looking at the Dorset Humanist Group's web site - I'm sure people there would be willing to offer ideas and help. Some 15 years ago this group had dwindled down to a handful of members, having been running for a few years after they'd met at a Philosophy U3A class. It is now the second largest group in the UK. Is there a British Humanist Group anywhere near you?Good luck.

LibraryLady 24th October 2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb (Post 7678087)
The budgie did it. :)

Hey! :mad:

Prometheus 25th October 2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LibraryLady (Post 7698524)
Hey! :mad:

Wasn't it a good thing?

Rockhopper 26th October 2011 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 (Post 7698035)
Rockhopper
May I suggest looking at the Dorset Humanist Group's web site - I'm sure people there would be willing to offer ideas and help. Some 15 years ago this group had dwindled down to a handful of members, having been running for a few years after they'd met at a Philosophy U3A class. It is now the second largest group in the UK. Is there a British Humanist Group anywhere near you?Good luck.

Hi thanks for the advice we have been looking for a humanist group near us (I believe my wife has found one/two and emailed them.)

It is much more difficult and time consuming setting something like this up than we expected. We even offered Free Tea/Coffee and cake at the first attempt.

I think we are suffering from the 'dreckly' effect. (On both sides)

Isentropic Frontkick 27th October 2011 09:39 AM

Hello all, I'm a gun-toting classic liberal atheist.

In my distance past there was woo born of kung fu, but in the more recent past a passion for mechanical engineering has supplanted my ill-informed ideas of yesteryears.

Found this forum by means of a discussion with somone close to me in regards to psychics - I was trying to turn it more towards physics but things got heated. Thus I figured some good old fashioned internet reading during the cool-down period was in order. Lo, I found this place, and fell in love.

Now I present to you: I, Isentropic Frontkick.

COLONEL 27th October 2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isentropic Frontkick (Post 7707293)
Hello all, I'm a gun-toting classic liberal atheist.

Welcome Isentropic Frontkick you're OK by me as I am a fellow gun lover to I have a CC permit and take one of my many jewels with me where ever I go, Grab a fresh glass of Goats Milk and enjoy you self here

Prometheus 27th October 2011 12:27 PM

Welcome!

Supermeerkat 27th October 2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 7668538)
Hi Super.

Love the name. It, like, means a bunch of different stuff.

Do let us know when you find evidence of bigfoot. I can't hike without either seeing footprints or finding scat that can't have come from a known species. Toss in some UFO stuff and hieroglyphics and go for a trifecta.

Does this count? I photographed it when I was out hiking, but I was so scared and ran away and can't remember where I was when I took the picture.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...75d155458f.jpg

From what I've seen of the "expert evidence" offered so far, this should be enough to keep the bigfoot people theorizing for months.

quadraginta 27th October 2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supermeerkat (Post 7708422)
<snip>

From what I've seen of the "expert evidence" offered so far, this should be enough to keep the bigfoot people theorizing for months.

I dunno. That part with Charlie Chaplin's head, down in the bottom right, looks kinda fakey.

Prometheus 27th October 2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadraginta (Post 7708708)
I dunno. That part with Charlie Chaplin's head, down in the bottom right, looks kinda fakey.

Exactly! So both Hollywood Elites and the makers of Photoshop are in on the conspiracy to keep Bigfoot truth from the public!!!! :eye-poppi

Krikkiter 27th October 2011 10:13 PM

Hi people. Probably should have done this when I first joined but as they say, better late than never.

So far it's been fun. Very entertaining and definitely educational. I've learned a lot from the threads I've been involved in - not necessarily from the OP's but definitely from the responses.

I love my science but I seriously doubt I'll ever get past the general knowledge level. Lucky for me a lot of the woo that's posted doesn't seem to even require anything past a primary school education to pick apart :D And I pick up interesting facts along the way.

Thanks for putting up with me :)

Akhenaten 27th October 2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krikkiter (Post 7709079)
Hi people. Probably should have done this when I first joined but as they say, better late than never.

I've been enjoying your posts, particularly in that thread.

Welcome to the circus!

Krikkiter 28th October 2011 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akhenaten (Post 7709150)
I've been enjoying your posts, particularly in that thread.

Welcome to the circus!

Thank you :) That thread is such a joy. I'd just like to thank the starters of the Apollo Hoax threads for my membership (and god of course.. gotta thank god).

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Supermeerkat 28th October 2011 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadraginta (Post 7708708)

No way! The very fact it looks fakey proves it's real as no one making a forgery would ever make something that looks so fake.

Also, I take my hat off to you sir! Your ability to differentiate between the Fuhrer and Little Tramp are second to none.

COLONEL 28th October 2011 03:25 AM

OK NewB's Welcome to the JREF. Here is the weekend menu enjoy your selves
Goats milk,assorted beer ,and koolade,fresh baked flounder,roo meat and Rabbits,
spaghetti squash,Shrimp scampi,and baked beans. Grayman oatmeal cookies, MINTIES, and pecan pie.
And again Enjoy your selves.

rpmcmurphy 28th October 2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 7709434)
OK NewB's Welcome to the JREF. Here is the weekend menu enjoy your selves
Goats milk,assorted beer ,and koolade,fresh baked flounder,roo meat and Rabbits,
spaghetti squash,Shrimp scampi,and baked beans. Grayman oatmeal cookies, MINTIES, and pecan pie.
And again Enjoy your selves.

Glad to have found this forum. A totally unrelated forum that I belong too had an OT discussion on ghosts that almost made my head explode. I needed to find some sanity and hope that I have here.

At the very least, it looks like I got here on a great menu day! I'll drink the assorted beer and leave others to drink the "koolade."

Foolmewunz 28th October 2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpmcmurphy (Post 7710398)
Glad to have found this forum. A totally unrelated forum that I belong too had an OT discussion on ghosts that almost made my head explode. I needed to find some sanity and hope that I have here.

At the very least, it looks like I got here on a great menu day! I'll drink the assorted beer and leave others to drink the "koolade."

You're from The Sticks? Did they name a town after The Amega Wand? (See lengthy and noteworthy thread in General Skepticism and the Paranormal)

Welcome aboard ... uh.... RP? RPM? RP/MC (poor guys haven't had a hit in years)? Don't be so sure about the sanity. It's sort of like what that guy said in that movie with that other guy. "No, we're insane. We're just your kind of insane."

Malana 28th October 2011 05:26 PM

Hi, everybody. I just got the e-mail approving my account, and I couldn't be happier. I've enjoyed reading the forums over the past couple of days, and I'm excited to join in the discussion.

COLONEL 28th October 2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malana (Post 7711348)
Hi, everybody. I just got the e-mail approving my account, and I couldn't be happier. I've enjoyed reading the forums over the past couple of days, and I'm excited to join in the discussion.

Well if your excited just wait until we introduce you to Shemp :)

Prometheus 28th October 2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 7711387)
Well if your excited just wait until we introduce you to Shemp :)

I thought we agreed--No more frightening the newbies! :mad:

COLONEL 28th October 2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prometheus (Post 7711421)
I thought we agreed--No more frightening the newbies! :mad:

Well I just thought it being Halloween that they would think Shemp was just wearing a costume :D

RedRatSnake 28th October 2011 06:13 PM

Hello

My name is Tim i ain't too happy i have too be here so Listen ! i don't like nobody touching my stuff. So just keep your meat-hooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. Also, I don't like nobody touching me. Now, any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.

Tim :D

COLONEL 28th October 2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRatSnake (Post 7711442)
My name is Tim i ain't too happy i have too be here so Listen ! i don't like nobody touching my stuff. So just keep your meat-hooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. Also, I don't like nobody touching me. Now, any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.

First welcome Tim, now sit down and shut up and drink the glass of goats milk,by the way I saw Stripes too :cool:

RedRatSnake 28th October 2011 06:38 PM

Crap ! i knew i should have used a lesser known introduction quote from Broke Back Mountain.

LOL * Thanks for the welcome

Prometheus 28th October 2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 7711431)
Well I just thought it being Halloween that they would think Shemp was just wearing a costume :D

A costume? We'll be lucky if he's wearing pants.

Ketyk 28th October 2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpmcmurphy (Post 7710398)

You must know by now that this thread is like a friendly hazing ritual. The really good stuff is just waiting to be read. Find a study group.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malana (Post 7711348)

Your new name is Flounder.
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRatSnake (Post 7711442)

Aaarmy training, Sir!

Cape Cod? There are a few here from the Cape. Dennisport is my haunt. I live just outside Boston, tho.

Welcome everybody! Please don't hesitate to ask questions here.

Malana 29th October 2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 7711824)

I can deal with that. I've certainly been called worse.

Fascination 31st October 2011 12:08 PM

Hello! I've been lurking on here for a LONG time but I just registered. I have basically been a lifelong Atheist (although, at one point in my teen years I described myself as an Agnostic). I've considered myself a skeptic since I was around 16 years old (oh....those were the days!). I'm happy to find so many online forums with like minded people. When I lived in Florida, I was a member of the Tampa CFI group and I have many fond memories of all the great people I met there.
Now I reside near Reno, Nevada and my husband and I haven't been able to find any comparable skeptics groups locally. Hopefully this will change. Until then, I have the Amazing Meeting in Vegas to look forward to and the awesome skeptic forums online.

Akhenaten 31st October 2011 12:29 PM

Reno? I thought that was in Brazil.

Live and learn, eh?

:)

Welcome aboard, Fascination.

slowsmile 1st November 2011 09:38 AM

Hi everybody - been lurking for a few months so thought I'd best take the plunge.

I'm from Sheffield, England and like lolcats, alcohol and debunking CT's.

Akhenaten 1st November 2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowsmile (Post 7720571)
Hi everybody - been lurking for a few months so thought I'd best take the plunge.

I'm from Sheffield, England and like lolcats, alcohol and debunking CT's.

Winner!

:cheerleader2

TruthCalls 1st November 2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 7711824)
You must know by now that this thread is like a friendly hazing ritual. The really good stuff is just waiting to be read. Find a study group.

Aaarmy training, Sir!

Cape Cod? There are a few here from the Cape. Dennisport is my haunt. I live just outside Boston, tho.

Welcome everybody! Please don't hesitate to ask questions here.

Hi all... just registered a few days ago on the recommendation from someone on a different forum discussing the Meredith Kercher case. Still learning the site, but I like what I see so far. Can't wait to check out the 9/11 conspiracy threads! :)

Dennisport, huh? Wow... I spent the first two weeks of August in West Dennis for 20+ years. Now in NC, so I don't get the chance to visit as often. I'd love to retire to the Cape, but my better half refuses to move back north and deal with the cold/snow.

Fascination 1st November 2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akhenaten (Post 7717910)
Reno? I thought that was in Brazil.

Live and learn, eh?

:)

Welcome aboard, Fascination.

Thank you!

HikakaGirl 1st November 2011 06:53 PM

My glass is ready for some goat's milk

Hi all,
I joined a couple of weeks ago, but school's been keeping me from lurking around as much as I'd like. I am a PhD student and study human behavior (yes, that's a science!). I'm here to soak up some skeptical mojo and fine tune my critical thinking skills. Big believer in the scientific method. Always up for talking about why people do the things they do, weird or otherwise!

Looking forward to some good times on the forum,
Jennifer

P.S. "hikaka" means "adventurous" in the Maori language.

COLONEL 1st November 2011 07:34 PM

Welcome NewB's Fascination & Hikakagirl have a glass of fresh goats milk and be sure to stop in Friday and check out the menu for the weekend bbq, that we put on for all NewB's

The Man 1st November 2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRatSnake (Post 7711507)
Crap ! i knew i should have used a lesser known introduction quote from Broke Back Mountain.

LOL * Thanks for the welcome

What...

"...up with the sheep all day, Iím hungry as hell and all I find is beans"

(seems whenever I click past that movie that's all they're talking about)

Welcome everyone

Perhaps we should add beans to the menu (or at least Beefaroni)?

The Man 1st November 2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HikakaGirl (Post 7722209)
Hi all,
I joined a couple of weeks ago, but school's been keeping me from lurking around as much as I'd like. I am a PhD student and study human behavior (yes, that's a science!). I'm here to soak up some skeptical mojo and fine tune my critical thinking skills. Big believer in the scientific method. Always up for talking about why people do the things they do, weird or otherwise!

Looking forward to some good times on the forum,
Jennifer

P.S. "hikaka" means "adventurous" in the Maori language.

Welcome "adventurous"Girl and the best of luck with your PhD research. Into the " study human behavior" and " Always up for talking about why people do the things they do, weird or otherwise!" what a coincidence. Now a PhD thesis on critical thinking would be a site to see (just a suggestion if you ain't honed in on one yet). This forum could probably provide some good fodder in that regard. Maori language? Native to New Zeeland it seems. Philology and the subtleties of language have always interested me, but I have enough problems with just the one (Amero-english).

Welcome everyone.