International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The post-Trump fascist creep catch-all thread (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350859)

SuburbanTurkey 17th June 2021 10:18 AM

American fascism isn't going away just because Trump is on the ropes. Nationalism and authoritarianism are now well established elements of mainstream conservative politics.

Quote:

Donors gave the prominent white nationalist hate group VDARE $4.3 million in 2019, over eight times more than the year before, according to tax records the Center for Media and Democracy (CMD) obtained and shared with Hatewatch.

The large sum represents an unprecedented annual haul for an American white nationalist group and suggests that big-money donors of the conservative movement may be moving their riches to more extreme causes in the aftermath of Donald Trump’s rise.
https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/...ionalist-group

Stacyhs 17th June 2021 12:21 PM

Twenty-two GOP representatives voted against giving the police who protected the Capitol against the rioters the Congressional Gold Medal. According to them, they reject the use of the word "insurrection". One, Andrew Clyde of GA, even refused to shake the hand of Off. Fanone who had introduced himself. Clyde just walked away. Fanone was seriously injured on Jan. 6 sustaining a serious brain injury and suffering a heart attack. These are the same representatives who claim "we support the police". What a bunch of complete jerks. But it's what I've come to expect from this GOP.
Quote:

Fanone said the Republican congressman refused to shake his hand even after he introduced himself as an officer who "fought to defend the Capitol on Jan. 6," and described being beaten until he was unconscious.
"His response was nothing,” Fanone told the Post. “He turned away from me, pulled out his cellphone and started thumbing through the apps.”
"As soon as the elevator doors opened, he ran as quickly as he could like a coward," Fanone told CNN.

Belz... 17th June 2021 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13511848)
Twenty-two GOP representatives voted against giving the police who protected the Capitol against the rioters the Congressional Gold Medal. According to them, they reject the use of the word "insurrection". One, Andrew Clyde of GA, even refused to shake the hand of Off. Fanone who had introduced himself. Clyde just walked away. Fanone was seriously injured on Jan. 6 sustaining a serious brain injury and suffering a heart attack. These are the same representatives who claim "we support the police". What a bunch of complete jerks. But it's what I've come to expect from this GOP.

You know, I was fine until I got to the part of the heart attack. Now I'm really :mad:.

Stacyhs 17th June 2021 04:28 PM

Juneteenth: new holiday celebrating the end of slavery signed into law by Pres. Biden. It was passed unanimously in the Senate but 14 Reps voted against it.

Quote:

Some of the lawmakers who voted against the bill in the House argued the proposed holiday would only serve to divide Americans based on race, including GOP Rep. Chip Roy of Texas, who took aim at the name provided for the holiday in the legislation.
"This name needlessly divides our nation on a matter that should instead bring us together by creating a separate Independence Day based on the color of one's skin," Roy said in a statement.


I have news for Chip: Slaves were not given their freedom on Independence Day. They remained slaves. And that was based on the color of their skin*.

Matt Rosendale declared
Quote:

“Let’s call an ace an ace. This is an effort by the Left to create a day out of whole cloth to celebrate identity politics as part of its larger efforts to make Critical Race Theory the reigning ideology of our country. Since I believe in treating everyone equally, regardless of race, and that we should be focused on what unites us rather than our differences, I will vote no.”
At least he didn't say "spade" instead of "ace". Sure, Matt...you believe in treating everyone equally.
Quote:

During Rosendale’s rise from an obscure state legislator to state auditor and now the GOP nominee for Senate, he was an administrator of a 95,000-member Facebook group where conservatives share racist and incendiary posts. He was also forging connections with well-known racists, bigots and white supremacists that have appeared to call for the murders of gay people and President Barack Obama.

In 2014, during his unsuccessful bid for Congress, Rosendale embraced controversial pastor Chuck Baldwin, a racist and anti-Semitic leader of “hardcore white supremacists,” according to the Montana Human Rights Network. In February 2014, Rosendale attended a service at Baldwin’s church, the Liberty Fellowship. Two months later, Rosendale and Baldwin spoke at a rally hosted by Oath Keepers, “one of the largest radical antigovernment groups in the U.S.,” according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.
Here they are in all their glorious stupidity:

Rep. Andy Biggs of Arizona
Rep. Mo Brooks of Alabama
Rep. Andrew Clyde of Georgia
Rep. Scott DesJarlais of Tennessee
Rep. Paul Gosar of Arizona
Rep. Ronny Jackson of Texas
Rep. Doug LaMalfa of California
Rep. Thomas Massie of Kentucky
Rep. Tom McClintock of California
Rep. Ralph Norman of South Carolina
Rep. Mike Rogers of Alabama
Rep. Matt Rosendale of Montana
Rep. Chip Roy of Texas
Rep. Tom Tiffany of Wisconsin

Reps from only four states that did not have slavery voted against the holiday. The South still isn't really accepting responsibility for its role in slavery.

*Ok...I know it was actually based on whether the mother was a slave or not at the time of birth, but Roy would be too stupid to know that.

Belz... 17th June 2021 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13512095)
Juneteenth: new holiday celebrating the end of slavery signed into law by Pres. Biden. It was passed unanimously in the Senate but 14 Reps voted against it.

"This name needlessly divides our nation on a matter that should instead bring us together"

A holiday about ending slavery and making people more equal is going to make America more divided, what?

Stacyhs 17th June 2021 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 13512121)
"This name needlessly divides our nation on a matter that should instead bring us together"

A holiday about ending slavery and making people more equal is going to make America more divided, what?

Maybe he'd be happy if it were called Southern Whites Graciously Allow the End of Slavery Day.

Skeptic Ginger 17th June 2021 05:45 PM

Trevor Noah had a piece on today that was quite telling about certain white fascists creeps.

Quote:

President Biden’s $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief bill gave $4 billion to Black farmers, but conservatives pushed back. Here’s the history of how the USDA mistreated Black farmers for hundreds of years and how we can change it going forward. #DailyShow #TrevorNoah #IfYouDontKnowNowYouKnow
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


The bill is temporarily on hold by the courts until they look at the white farmers' case.

Belz... 17th June 2021 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13512139)
Maybe he'd be happy if it were called Southern Whites Graciously Allow the End of Slavery Day.

Superior Race Allows Temporary Reprieve Day.

Stacyhs 17th June 2021 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 13512180)
Superior Race Allows Temporary Reprieve Day.

What Slavery? Day

Mumbles 17th June 2021 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 13512121)
"This name needlessly divides our nation on a matter that should instead bring us together"

A holiday about ending slavery and making people more equal is going to make America more divided, what?

Same people yammering about CRT and the horrors of “the 1619 Project”, despite understanding neither.

And the same people demanding respect for treasonous slavers.

Making Juneteenth a federal holiday is almost entirely symbolic (almost because hey, new day off for federal, and many state, workers). But this is also due to a lot of hard work by real activists, and what we choose to symbolize, as countries, does speak to our group values. White supremacists understand this, too.

The Great Zaganza 17th June 2021 09:16 PM

A federal holiday is not just symbolic, as it creates space and opportunity for more actions going forward.

Stacyhs 18th June 2021 12:51 AM

It will be interesting to see which, if any, states give Juneteenth off. I'm going to go with "not Red states" for the win.

Bob001 18th June 2021 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumbles (Post 13512264)
......
Making Juneteenth a federal holiday is almost entirely symbolic (almost because hey, new day off for federal, and many state, workers). But this is also due to a lot of hard work by real activists, and what we choose to symbolize, as countries, does speak to our group values. White supremacists understand this, too.

Federal holidays are also a guide for private employers, union contracts, colleges, public schools, etc. There's no reason to think this won't be a wide practice in a few years.

Bob001 18th June 2021 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13512374)
It will be interesting to see which, if any, states give Juneteenth off. I'm going to go with "not Red states" for the win.

It took awhile, but the MLK Birthday became a state holiday in all 50 states by 1999, after becoming a federal holiday in 1983. I suspect that this will follow the same route.

.

Belz... 18th June 2021 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13512374)
It will be interesting to see which, if any, states give Juneteenth off. I'm going to go with "not Red states" for the win.

Please tell me they're not actually calling it that. It sounds like something a teenager would come up with.

Armitage72 18th June 2021 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 13512445)
Please tell me they're not actually calling it that. It sounds like something a teenager would come up with.


The name Juneteenth has been in use since the 1890s.
The name is derived from the date, the day that Union General Gordon Granger informed the slaves in Galveston, Texas that they were officially free.

Belz... 18th June 2021 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armitage72 (Post 13512559)
The name Juneteenth has been in use since the 1890s.

It's still a stupid name, unworthy of the respect it should command.

slyjoe 18th June 2021 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13512413)
It took awhile, but the MLK Birthday became a state holiday in all 50 states by 1999, after becoming a federal holiday in 1983. I suspect that this will follow the same route.

.

Correct - and it wasn't some enlightenment that caused that. In Arizona, the NFL threatened with taking the super bowl away.

Mumbles 18th June 2021 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 13512565)
It's still a stupid name, unworthy of the respect it should command.

To you, maybe. Far as I care, it’s a compact, unique identifier of the nd of the struggle against chattel slavery, of the lengths white southerners went to to expand slavery, to the point of moving across state lines and going to an insane war while relying on the very people they enslaved to work supplying them with food and uniforms.

In short, the end of one of the most racist, and most stupid, institution at the heart of the US’ foundation.

And watching white supremasists like Rep. Gosar, Tucker Carlson, and Candace Owens whine and snivel about “unity” is fun, too.

Belz... 18th June 2021 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumbles (Post 13512746)
To you, maybe. Far as I care, it’s a compact, unique identifier of the nd of the struggle against chattel slavery, of the lengths white southerners went to to expand slavery, to the point of moving across state lines and going to an insane war while relying on the very people they enslaved to work supplying them with food and uniforms.

In short, the end of one of the most racist, and most stupid, institution at the heart of the US’ foundation.

And watching white supremasists like Rep. Gosar, Tucker Carlson, and Candace Owens whine and snivel about “unity” is fun, too.

I'm not saying that the holiday is bad. Just the name. Liberty Day!

slyjoe 18th June 2021 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 13512768)
I'm not saying that the holiday is bad. Just the name. Liberty Day!

Was emancipation day already taken? Tie it right to the Emancipation Proclamation; maybe some will take the time to read it.

Skeptic Ginger 18th June 2021 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 13512565)
It's still a stupid name, unworthy of the respect it should command.

It makes it easier to assign a Monday or a Friday for the day off since that's what they do now with a number of federal holidays. So there is that.

Skeptic Ginger 18th June 2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 13512768)
I'm not saying that the holiday is bad. Just the name. Liberty Day!

Liberty for who?

We already have the 4th of July. Liberty Day is really too generic.

Belz... 18th June 2021 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13512811)
Liberty for who?

We already have the 4th of July. Liberty Day is really too generic.

Hey, that was my fist jab at it. Give me some slack! :p

Emancipation Day works for me.

CapelDodger 18th June 2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 13512768)
I'm not saying that the holiday is bad. Just the name. Liberty Day!

Emancication. Juneteenth sounds better already, doesn't it?

Belz... 18th June 2021 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapelDodger (Post 13512830)
Emancication. Juneteenth sounds better already, doesn't it?

No.

Stacyhs 18th June 2021 11:02 AM

It is a funny sounding word but that is the word that was used by the emancipated slaves in 1865 and by their descendants. Therefore, it is the correct name for the holiday that it celebrates.

Belz... 18th June 2021 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13512853)
It is a funny sounding word but that is the word that was used by the emancipated slaves in 1865 and by their descendants. Therefore, it is the correct name for the holiday that it celebrates.

(stamps feet) No, it SUCKS!!!! :o

BobTheCoward 18th June 2021 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13512853)
It is a funny sounding word but that is the word that was used by the emancipated slaves in 1865 and by their descendants. Therefore, it is the correct name for the holiday that it celebrates.

Through no fault of their own, they would have been in below average education and knowledge for 1865. An odd group to lean on for decision making.

Armitage72 18th June 2021 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13512853)
It is a funny sounding word but that is the word that was used by the emancipated slaves in 1865 and by their descendants. Therefore, it is the correct name for the holiday that it celebrates.


It's a little like going to Hawaii and telling them that Kamehameha is too hard to spell, so we're going to change the name of King Kamehameha Day to something we like better. :D

Mumbles 18th June 2021 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 13512768)
I'm not saying that the holiday is bad. Just the name. Liberty Day!

Like I said, you don't like it. Falls well into black American verbal tradition to me. "Juneteenth" carries everything I wrote about, to me, in two syllables.

Belz... 18th June 2021 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumbles (Post 13512898)
Like I said, you don't like it.

Of course it's just me. There's no other possibility.

I didn't mean to start a polemic. I'm just saying I'd prefer a name that was more... dignified, I don't know.

Stacyhs 18th June 2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 13512865)
(stamps feet) No, it SUCKS!!!! :o

Go sit on the Naughty Chair!

Stacyhs 18th June 2021 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward (Post 13512887)
Through no fault of their own, they would have been in below average education and knowledge for 1865. An odd group to lean on for decision making.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...cebf3d0b53.jpg

Stacyhs 18th June 2021 02:04 PM

Ted Cruz, Ron Johnson, and Rick Scott lie about what Critical Race Theory is in their effort to incite fear among voters that children are being taught to "hate America".

Cruz: “Critical race theory is bigoted, it is a lie, and it is every bit as racist as the klansmen in white sheets.
Critical race theory says every white person is a racist. Critical race theory says America is fundamentally and irredeemably racist. Critical race theory seeks to turn us against each other and, if someone has different colored skin, seeks to make us hate that person."

Um...no. As DNC Chairwoman Jaime Harris said, "Yes because critical race academics who study the impact of systemic racism are sneaking around at night burning crosses in the yards of Americans, pulling folks from their homes, lynching folks & destroying communities."

Rick Scott: (School boards across the U.S.) "are trying to teach critical race theory, trash our history [and] present our founders as racist."

Again, no. Not whitewashing our history is not 'trashing it'. Half of our founders were slave holders. If that's not racist, I don't know what is. These Republicans are getting very good at whitewashing history to reflect what they want to believe. Case in point: The Jan. 6 insurrection was non-violent and just like a typical Capitol tour.

Ron Johnson: “I do not believe America is a systemically racist nation.” "They are propagandizing to our children. They are turning our children away from faith and family and our founding principles and ideals."

Once again...no. Of course he doesn't think America is systemically racist: he's a privileged, rich, white man. How is teaching the factual history of race in this country "propaganda" and turning kids "away from faith and family" unless the facts reveal that their "faith and family" aren't telling them the truth?

Prof. Joseph does an excellent job of explaining what CRT is and is not:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...k-in-politics/

ahhell 18th June 2021 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumbles (Post 13512264)
Same people yammering about CRT and the horrors of “the 1619 Project”, despite understanding neither.

And the same people demanding respect for treasonous slavers.

Making Juneteenth a federal holiday is almost entirely symbolic (almost because hey, new day off for federal, and many state, workers). But this is also due to a lot of hard work by real activists, and what we choose to symbolize, as countries, does speak to our group values. White supremacists understand this, too.

Might be the first time I totally agree with you.

Skeptic Ginger 18th June 2021 02:26 PM

Just like "defund police", CRT is a bad name as far as marketing goes. People who come up with these names pick something that makes perfect sense to them but is a flop with the marketing target. No matter how much sense it makes to you, chances are you are not the target market.

Whoever came up with CRT didn't consult any marketing sources or they consulted poor ones and now it's probably too late to change.

I get it that no matter the term chosen the Ted Cruzes are going to make the same arguments, but they aren't the target market either. The target is the public. And CRT is a WTF name.

Belz... 18th June 2021 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13512930)
Go sit on the Naughty Chair!

Well at least it's not the... comfy chair!!!

Belz... 18th June 2021 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13513078)
Just like "defund police", CRT is a bad name as far as marketing goes.

Lefties really SUCK at marketing. It's a damn shame.

Stacyhs 18th June 2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 13513098)
Well at least it's not the... comfy chair!!!

SADIST!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-20, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.