International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Non-USA & General Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Covid-19 and Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342577)

catsmate 30th May 2020 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samson (Post 13107395)
If you can see them they are not transmitting virus.They are outdoors.
Oh the tragic irony.

What, if anything, is this supposed to mean?

catsmate 30th May 2020 07:34 AM

It's a useless, dysfunctional debacle. As expected.
Why I quit working on Boris Johnson's ‘world-beating' test-and-tracing system

Trebuchet 30th May 2020 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 13106676)
Could be worse. You could be American.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain (Post 13107261)
In terms of deaths per million population, the US is doing better than the UK. The following table shows the top countries by death rate, for countries with over 1,000,000 people:

Country
Deaths/1,000,000 Population  
Belgium
814
11,585,252
 
Spain
580
46,753,246
 
United Kingdom
562
67,854,937
 
Italy
550
60,469,262
 
France
440
65,261,155
 
Sweden
431
10,093,745
 
Netherlands
346
17,131,629
 
Ireland
333
4,932,806
 
United States
316
330,832,890
 
Switzerland
222
8,649,038
 
Ecuador
189
17,618,288
 
Canada
185
37,712,703
 

Source: worldometers.com, last updated 30 May 2020 at 07:08 GMT

I was, of course, referring to the nations' "leadership" rather than specifically to the virus. BoJo would be considered a far-left radical socialist, if not an outright Commie, by most of our conservatives.

Mojo 30th May 2020 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 13107532)
I was, of course, referring to the nations' "leadership" rather than specifically to the virus. BoJo would be considered a far-left radical socialist, if not an outright Commie, by most of our conservatives.


He’d be to the right of your conservatives if he thought it would get him elected.

The Don 30th May 2020 08:42 AM

It's all alright here in the UK. Sure there are hundreds of deaths and thousands of new cases daily but Premier League Football is due to resume in England on Monday.

Asked to respond to SAGE scientists saying that it's too early, the government say they took a range of views. I'm guessing that they ignored the scientific ones.


Edited to add....

My mistake, it's horse racing that's back on Monday (got to keep the bookies happy). Football is due back on the 17th.

catsmate 30th May 2020 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zooterkin (Post 13107454)
My guess is that the UK is one of the better and more timely countries at reporting such figures too, so we might be looking slightly worse than we actually are. We isn't saying much, I suspect, unfortunately.

There's significant evidence that the UK's official death toll is lower than the reality,perhaps by 40% or so.

Squeegee Beckenheim 30th May 2020 09:19 AM

Today I have several times heard a new government advert. It's starting off by saying that "we've" done a "good job", and then goes on to say that we need to "Stay Alert", which it defines specifically as not going outside for 7 days if you're showing symptoms and everybody else who lives with you staying inside for 14 days.

I wonder what could have prompted this particular strand of messaging?

P.J. Denyer 30th May 2020 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zooterkin (Post 13107389)
Four too many words in that sentence.

I wouldn't disagree.

P.J. Denyer 30th May 2020 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim (Post 13107616)
Today I have several times heard a new government advert. It's starting off by saying that "we've" done a "good job", and then goes on to say that we need to "Stay Alert", which it defines specifically as not going outside for 7 days if you're showing symptoms and everybody else who lives with you staying inside for 14 days.

I wonder what could have prompted this particular strand of messaging?

They're saving advertising money by leaving the 'unless you want to test your eyesight' bit unsaid.

zooterkin 30th May 2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catsmate (Post 13107598)
There's significant evidence that the UK's official death toll is lower than the reality,perhaps by 40% or so.

Do you mean the official Covid-19 death toll? Almost certainly. I’m talking about the ONS figures, which are published weekly based on death certificates, and which lag by a couple of weeks but are pretty complete. I don’t know how other countries compare for that sort of reporting. They show a comparison with the 5 year average, and you can clearly see the excess deaths are only partly attributed to Covid-19, though that is likely at least a factor in most of them. (It also puts the lie to those people who think the figures for Covid-19 deaths are being exaggerated by doctors being instructed to put it as cause of death even if other conditions are present.)

Latest figures here - https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...nding15may2020

Trebuchet 30th May 2020 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim (Post 13107616)
Today I have several times heard a new government advert. It's starting off by saying that "we've" done a "good job", and then goes on to say that we need to "Stay Alert", which it defines specifically as not going outside for 7 days if you're showing symptoms and everybody else who lives with you staying inside for 14 days.

I wonder what could have prompted this particular strand of messaging?

The world needs more lerts.

Squeegee Beckenheim 30th May 2020 10:38 AM

#JohnsonHasFailedTheNation is trending on twitter.

And I've not seen this sourced, but apparently more SAGE scientists have spoken out against the lockdown being eased this early.

The Don 30th May 2020 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 13107673)
The world needs more lerts.

During a pandemic, I'd say that we need more loofs

Blue Mountain 30th May 2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 13107584)
Edited to add....

My mistake, it's horse racing that's back on Monday (got to keep the bookies happy). Football is due back on the 17th.

With or without fans in the stands?

Mojo 30th May 2020 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain (Post 13107766)
With or without fans in the stands?


How about starting up the County Championship then?

The Don 30th May 2020 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 13107794)
How about starting up the County Championship then?

Can't field at second slip or keep standing up to the stumps for fear of breaking social distancing guidelines.....

EHocking 30th May 2020 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 13107841)
Can't field at second slip or keep standing up to the stumps for fear of breaking social distancing guidelines.....

The ICC has certainly got COVID-19 beaten.
International Cricket Council recommends rule change banning use of saliva to shine balls post-coronavirus

Blue Mountain 30th May 2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain (Post 13107766)
With or without fans in the stands?


How about starting up the County Championship then?

Sorry, I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic to understand your comment. :(

The Don 30th May 2020 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain (Post 13108003)
Sorry, I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic to understand your comment. :(

UK "major league" cricket. Back in the 40s the grounds would be packed. Nowadays it's one man and his dog in attendance and only if the dog hasn't had a better offer.....

Captain_Swoop 31st May 2020 09:08 AM

Why is the government still going on about social distancing when our beaches are full & the world & his dog are on the streets?

Mojo 31st May 2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 13108223)
UK "major league" cricket. Back in the 40s the grounds would be packed. Nowadays it's one man and his dog in attendance and only if the dog hasn't had a better offer.....


I’m not sure about the 40s either. There’s a cartoon by Fougasse (1887-1965, responsible for some of the “careless talk costs lives” wartime posters among other things) of two men sitting alone in a huge, empty stand, captioned, “of course, there’s one thing that no foreigner will ever understand, and that’s our enthusiasm for cricket.”

Captain_Swoop 31st May 2020 01:38 PM

If there is a 'second wave' I think the public will simply no longer comply with any new lockdown. Summer, alcohol, and a taste of freedom means a lot of people won't care.

Captain_Swoop 31st May 2020 04:00 PM

The UK now has the capacity to perform 200,000 tests every day, ministers claim, hitting an end-of-May target set by Boris Johnson. But only 115,725 tests were recorded in the past 24 hours, including kits mailed out to people.

Arcade22 31st May 2020 04:17 PM

Quote:

Crowds of visitors have left mounds of litter including used toilet roll and nappies at Yorkshire beauty spots, angry residents have said.

Hundreds of people flocked outdoors to enjoy the weather with concerns social distancing guidance was being flouted.

In Ilkley, West Yorkshire, toilet roll and dirty nappies were left dumped behind bushes and trees.

Councillor Anne Hawkesworth said: "What we've seen has been deplorable. It seems people have just run riot."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-52867696

British manners.

Lothian 31st May 2020 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13108986)
The UK now has the capacity to perform 200,000 tests every day, ministers claim, hitting an end-of-May target set by Boris Johnson. But only 115,725 tests were recorded in the past 24 hours, including kits mailed out to people.

Listen, I said I would earn over £1,000,000 this year and I have achieved that by creating the capacity to recieve £100,000 a month in my bank account.

Mojo 1st June 2020 12:53 AM

This could be significant if it catches on: Slater and Gordon to close London office as remote working becomes norm

Quote:

The Covid-19 crisis has seen the firm move most staff out of its offices to work from home, in line with all other legal busineses

David Whitmore, chief executive, told the Gazette that what has effectively been a test run of smart working has proved successful and popular, prompting the decision to make it a long-term model.

Captain_Swoop 1st June 2020 01:32 AM

Imagine being so utterly devoid of judgement and decency that you thought Johnson was still doing a good job!

Squeegee Beckenheim 1st June 2020 02:05 AM

The Assiciation of Directors of Public Health have spoken out, saying it's too early to ease restrictions and that government policy is unsupported by science

Tolls 1st June 2020 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 13108648)
I’m not sure about the 40s either. There’s a cartoon by Fougasse (1887-1965, responsible for some of the “careless talk costs lives” wartime posters among other things) of two men sitting alone in a huge, empty stand, captioned, “of course, there’s one thing that no foreigner will ever understand, and that’s our enthusiasm for cricket.”

https://punch.photoshelter.com/image/I0000os3YgQfcI7U

1932, if the filename is anything to go by.
:)

Captain_Swoop 1st June 2020 02:29 AM

A group of 200 travel companies has written to Home Secretary Priti Patel asking for current quarantine plans for people entering the UK to be scrapped.

It follows calls last week from MPs and travel bosses to reconsider the rules.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52873689

Darat 1st June 2020 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13109361)
A group of 200 travel companies has written to Home Secretary Priti Patel asking for current quarantine plans for people entering the UK to be scrapped.

It follows calls last week from MPs and travel bosses to reconsider the rules.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52873689

"Surprise visits will be used to check they are following the rules."

The "surprise" will be if any are ever checked!

catsmate 1st June 2020 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain (Post 13107766)
With or without fans in the stands?

Well I'm sure Shipman and Hitler will be there...

bruto 1st June 2020 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13109342)
Imagine being so utterly devoid of judgement and decency that you thought Johnson was still doing a good job!

It's impossible to imagi......oh, wait, I'm an American.

P.J. Denyer 1st June 2020 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcade22 (Post 13109004)

Yeah, in my village there's a nature reserve where a chalk quarry used to be, I normally use it for dog walking because it's usually empty and on a hot day gives them a chance to cool off, since the VE day loosening tease I've stopped using it because there's too many picnics and one of my clients who lives next to it was already complaining about all the rubbish being left behind. But on Saturday someone posted on line that the village had "swimming lakes" and the place was utterly rammed,apparently the police were there trying to get people to stay apart. i could hear the noise from there from my place. Apparently on Sunday the residents of the estate next to it barricaded the road to keep them all out and fights broke out over parking. One cul de sac nearby was still blocked off and had people manning the barrier today. This is bizarre.

Darat 1st June 2020 07:15 AM

Royal Ascot is only a couple of weeks away so they've got to get a move on so the Queen can be there. What's not scientific about that?

Nessie 1st June 2020 07:24 AM

A local hospital to me, as of a couple of days ago, transferred a number of staff from the COVID ward to deal with the large increase in injury accidents. People are trying DIY that they would have normally GSI.

Squeegee Beckenheim 1st June 2020 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 13109510)
Royal Ascot is only a couple of weeks away so they've got to get a move on so the Queen can be there. What's not scientific about that?

I think it's kind of the opposite of a dead cat. They're trying to distract from Cummings by telling people that everything is now fine and hasn't Boris handled this well? And when the wave hits in 2-4 weeks, well, that'll be the public's fault for not using their common sense while Staying Alert.

Captain_Swoop 1st June 2020 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 13109510)
Royal Ascot is only a couple of weeks away so they've got to get a move on so the Queen can be there. What's not scientific about that?

Race meeting today at Newcastle.

The Don 1st June 2020 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13109566)
Race meeting today at Newcastle.

Please tell me there are no punters. I mean it's bad enough that the jockeys, lads and officials have to risk life and limb but I hope that there aren't thousands of punters congregating around the onsite bookies.

Darat 1st June 2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 13109576)
Please tell me there are no punters. I mean it's bad enough that the jockeys, lads and officials have to risk life and limb but I hope that there aren't thousands of punters congregating around the onsite bookies.

Yeah not open to the "general public", just like "Royal" Ascot won't be.

Oh isn't it nice to see the Queen up and about in public...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-22, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.