International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Trump to visit Denmark on Sept. 2 (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338033)

MRC_Hans 4th August 2019 07:13 AM

Trump to visit Denmark on Sept. 2

On Sept. 2 2019, President Trump is to visit Danmark. It will be a state visit with all the trimmings, like those of previous US Presidents.

He might prepare for some demonstrations against him, however.

Hans

Trebuchet 4th August 2019 07:16 AM

Those will just be fake news, while the lamestream media ignores the hordes of adoring fans.

erlando 4th August 2019 07:45 AM

I hope someone borrows the baby balloon from the londoners and that a lot of danes show that fat orange clown that he is definitely not welcomed by all.

The Great Zaganza 4th August 2019 07:58 AM

Is this some new kind of tariff?

WilliamSeger 4th August 2019 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erlando (Post 12776495)
I hope someone borrows the baby balloon from the londoners and that a lot of danes show that fat orange clown that he is definitely not welcomed by all.

Trump will win them over by telling them how much he loves their pastries and large dogs.

theprestige 4th August 2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans (Post 12776470)
On Sept. 2 2019, President Trump is to visit Danmark. It will be a state visit with all the trimmings, like those of previous US Presidents.

He might prepare for some demonstrations against him, however.

What sort of preparations would those be?

The President already prepares for large crowds and assassination attempts. Pretty sure "demonstrations against him" are already a standard part of the checklist.

Or who knows? Maybe "prepare for some demonstrations against him" means "look forward to basking in the attention." Maybe the Danes will have enough self-respect to not give him that attention.

I guess we'll find out in September!

shemp 4th August 2019 09:26 AM

The Danes can keep him. Won't even ask for anything in return. Well, maybe some pastries and cheese would be nice, but it's really not necessary.

theprestige 4th August 2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

As a wise famous person once said, "at this point, what difference does it make?"

What exactly is this demonstration supposed to achieve?

Seems to me it would be an empty gesture.

Skeptic Ginger 4th August 2019 10:52 AM

Apathy is an empty gesture.

Demonstrations are not.

theprestige 4th August 2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 12776599)
Apathy is an empty gesture.

Demonstrations are not.

Cargo-cult activism.

If the Danes voted to ban President Trump from entering Denmark? *That* would not be an empty gesture. Modern-day demonstrations are like that Baby Trump balloon: All they do is make you talk funny when you inhale their vapors.

MRC_Hans 4th August 2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12776613)
Cargo-cult activism.

If the Danes voted to ban President Trump from entering Denmark? *That* would not be an empty gesture. Modern-day demonstrations are like that Baby Trump balloon: All they do is make you talk funny when you inhale their vapors.

Well, in the real world, it's a bit complex. Denmark comprises around six million people, about the same as a medium-sized US city. We need to keep good relations to our big friends, even if they are dangerous nuts. Trump can devastate our economy on a whim.

So, he will get the royal treatment, but probably with some demonstrations (and possibly a balloon) as the fly in the ointment.

We respect the choice of the American people. If he won't respect our democratic freedom, then we shall have to live without his friendship.

Hans

theprestige 4th August 2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans (Post 12776655)
Well, in the real world, it's a bit complex. Denmark comprises around six million people, about the same as a medium-sized US city. We need to keep good relations to our big friends, even if they are dangerous nuts. Trump can devastate our economy on a whim.

So, he will get the royal treatment, but probably with some demonstrations (and possibly a balloon) as the fly in the ointment.

We respect the choice of the American people. If he won't respect our democratic freedom, then we shall have to live without his friendship.

Hans

Interesting take. Thanks for taking the time to to explain a little bit. I have a couple questions.

First, if there's real concern in Denmark that Trump could devastate your economy on a whim, then isn't it extremely risky to provoke him with flies in ointments? Wouldn't the smart, responsible play be to keep Trump balloons completely out of sight during OMB's visit? Not have any protests at all?

Second, what does "if he won't respect our democratic freedom" mean? Is there some power that the president of the United States has over Denmark, that I'm not aware of? Are you worried that he's going to nullify your elections? Install a governor-general? Rewrite your constitution? Seriously, how is this even a concern?

phiwum 4th August 2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12776596)
As a wise famous person once said, "at this point, what difference does it make?"

What exactly is this demonstration supposed to achieve?

Seems to me it would be an empty gesture.

It would be an expression of disgust at a man one finds loathsome. Some find that worthwhile. Some don't.

It makes little difference in the behavior of the president or the relations between the two countries. About all that might happen is that Trump gets annoyed and becomes less friendly with Denmark, but that didn't happen with the UK and is unlikely to happen with Denmark.

theprestige 4th August 2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phiwum (Post 12776682)
It would be an expression of disgust at a man one finds loathsome. Some find that worthwhile. Some don't.

It makes little difference in the behavior of the president or the relations between the two countries. About all that might happen is that Trump gets annoyed and becomes less friendly with Denmark, but that didn't happen with the UK and is unlikely to happen with Denmark.

Sounds like pretty much the definition of an empty gesture.

MRC_Hans 4th August 2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12776673)
Interesting take. Thanks for taking the time to to explain a little bit. I have a couple questions.

First, if there's real concern in Denmark that Trump could devastate your economy on a whim, then isn't it extremely risky to provoke him with flies in ointments? Wouldn't the smart, responsible play be to keep Trump balloons completely out of sight during OMB's visit? Not have any protests at all?

We are a democracy. People have a right to protest. Happily so.

Quote:

Second, what does "if he won't respect our democratic freedom" mean? Is there some power that the president of the United States has over Denmark, that I'm not aware of? Are you worried that he's going to nullify your elections? Install a governor-general? Rewrite your constitution? Seriously, how is this even a concern?
He could start a trade war. Luckily, that would probably get him on edge with the EU, which might be a bigger bite than he could chew. Still, you watch where you are standing if you are in a room with elephants. Especially idiot elephants.

Hans

MRC_Hans 4th August 2019 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12776689)

That seems to mean that you find gestures empty, in general.

Hans

theprestige 4th August 2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans (Post 12776750)
We are a democracy. People have a right to protest. Happily so.

Nobody was questioning your right to protest. Why are you addressing a concern nobody has raised?

The concern you raised was that Trump could devastate your economy on whim. I'm not questioning your right to protest. I'm questioning your wisdom in protesting, if your stated concern is sincere.

Quote:

He could start a trade war.
That is not a disrespect of your democratic freedom. Please take a moment to reconsider the arguments you have made, and my rebuttals, and figure out what the hell you're actually trying to say. Because right now, it all seems like disjointed blabber.

Ryokan 4th August 2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger (Post 12776535)
Trump will win them over by telling them how much he loves their pastries and large dogs.

That's great. I'm sure the Danes will forward his appreciation of the pastries to the Austrians.

AnonyMoose 4th August 2019 03:51 PM

Those poor Danes.

They have my thoughts and prayers.

Baylor 4th August 2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12776756)
The concern you raised was that Trump could devastate your economy on whim.

Remember these EU countries don't need a functioning military because they leech off the US. The only thing that's stopping Putin's tanks from marching through Europe is the security blanket offered kindly by the US military. They'll have to give up their cushy welfare states if the US had a change of heart and that gives them incredible anxiety.

Craig4 4th August 2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baylor (Post 12776821)
Remember these EU countries don't need a functioning military because they leech off the US. The only thing that's stopping Putin's tanks from marching through Europe is the security blanket offered kindly by the US military. They'll have to give up their cushy welfare states if the US had a change of heart and that gives them incredible anxiety.

You've clearly never been to Afghanistan or in a peacekeeping mission in Africa. Our European allies have highly competent militaries and participate in the collective defense of Europe. Try to remember that the first time Article 5 was invoked it was to defend the US on 9/11.

I'm sure the parents of NATO troops killed in Afghanistan on a US lead mission that their countries don't have functioning military. If that's they case, they'd like their kids back please.

Ryokan 4th August 2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baylor (Post 12776821)

The EU as a whole has a larger military budget than Russia.

France alone has a larger military budget than Russia.

The alliance with the USA is very much appreciated, and I highly agree with the one for all and all for one philosophy of NATO, but even without the Americans in the picture Putin's tanks wouldn't easily march through Europe.

For one, they don't have legs.

Baylor 4th August 2019 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryokan (Post 12776856)
The EU as a whole has a larger military budget than Russia.

France alone has a larger military budget than Russia.

The alliance with the USA is very much appreciated, and I highly agree with the one for all and all for one philosophy of NATO, but even without the Americans in the picture Putin's tanks wouldn't easily march through Europe.

For one, they don't have legs.

Shocking, those who benefit the most and put in the least are happy with NATO. It seems only backwards people stuck in the past still support NATO. These treaties don't reflect current year geopolitics. Why should the US support a suicidal country? Scandinavia belongs to immigrants, according to its leaders. Let China colonize it then, and let the unhappy people die off.

phiwum 4th August 2019 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12776689)

Some folks think it's worthwhile to speak their minds. After all, the right to do so is enshrined in the Constitution, so I guess some of the forefathers thought so too.

I'll admit I'm not one motivated to protest, but if others want to express their disgust, I don't see any reason to criticize them. An empty gesture is when a politician, who has the power to pursue meaningful change, offers thoughts and prayers and does nothing. A protest is an expression of one's dissatisfaction with things as they are. That's about how much power the average Dane has to wield over these affairs of state (other than long term solutions such as voting and working on campaigns).

phiwum 4th August 2019 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose (Post 12776816)
Those poor Danes.

Did not see this before writing that thoughts and prayers are a good example of an empty gesture.

Steve 4th August 2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phiwum (Post 12776921)
Did not see this before writing that thoughts and prayers are a good example of an empty gesture.

The very best example, and one that Trump falls back on constantly. Empty gestures are a specialty of his.

MRC_Hans 4th August 2019 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12776756)
Nobody was questioning your right to protest. Why are you addressing a concern nobody has raised?

The concern you raised was that Trump could devastate your economy on whim. I'm not questioning your right to protest. I'm questioning your wisdom in protesting, if your stated concern is sincere.

That is not a disrespect of your democratic freedom. Please take a moment to reconsider the arguments you have made, and my rebuttals, and figure out what the hell you're actually trying to say. Because right now, it all seems like disjointed blabber.

You suggested that people here should refrain from protesting. I pointed out thar it is their democratic right. You asked how Trump could ibterfere. I mentioned something he has already done repeatedly around the world. And he has just recently tried to interfere with the democratic proceses in Sweden.

.. happy to help you.

Hans

Foolmewunz 4th August 2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans (Post 12777022)
You suggested that people here should refrain from protesting. I pointed out thar it is their democratic right. You asked how Trump could ibterfere. I mentioned something he has already done repeatedly around the world. And he has just recently tried to interfere with the democratic proceses in Sweden.

.. happy to help you.

Hans

Trump could just follow his own advice and instead of exercising any power plays, if he doesn't like it he could just turn around and go home.

dann 4th August 2019 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans (Post 12776470)
On Sept. 2 2019, President Trump is to visit Danmark.

I warned you!

The guy seems to be almost as preoccupied with Denmark as Bernie:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

(Sorry about the subject-verb-(dis)agreement!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by phiwum (Post 12776921)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose (Post 12776816)
Those poor Danes.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

dann 4th August 2019 11:56 PM

Quote:

The protesters are already preparing:

Quote:

Denmark's Red-Green Alliance has called for the 40,000 who marched for the climate in Copenhagen in May to return to the streets to protest the coming visit from US President Donald Trump.
Danish party calls for climate marchers to protest Trump visit (The Local, Aug. 2, 2019)

Norman Alexander 5th August 2019 12:05 AM

I know it's Swedish, not Danish, but Trump needs to have a burger made of this.

dann 5th August 2019 12:17 AM

The pundits seem to think that Trump is interested in Denmark primarily because of its role in the Danish Commonwealth (the Unity of the Realm) with the Faroe Islands and in particular Greenland. They think that Trump wants to discuss the Arctic region:

Derfor er Arktis og Grønland så vigtig for Trump (Berlingske, Aug. 1, 2019)
"This is the reason why the Arctic region and Greenland are so important to Trump"

Danmark i klemme mellem stormagter - Trump kan have to ønsker med til Frederiksen (TV2, Aug. 1, 2019)
"Denmark squeezed between superpowers - Trump may have two wishes for Frederiksen"

(DR News, Aug. 1, 2019)
"Trump's visit will be cumbersome and important"

dann 5th August 2019 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 12777059)
I know it's Swedish, not Danish, but Trump needs to have a burger made of this.

I can't think of any Danish food that is as disgusting as surströmming, but sylte or øllebrød might do the trick. :)

Norman Alexander 5th August 2019 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dann (Post 12777064)
The pundits seem to think that Trump is interested in Denmark primarily because of its role in the Danish Commonwealth (the Unity of the Realm) with the Faroe Islands and in particular Greenland. They think that Trump wants to discuss the Arctic region:

Derfor er Arktis og Grønland så vigtig for Trump (Berlingske, Aug. 1, 2019)
"This is the reason why the Arctic region and Greenland are so important to Trump"

Danmark i klemme mellem stormagter - Trump kan have to ønsker med til Frederiksen (TV2, Aug. 1, 2019)
"Denmark squeezed between superpowers - Trump may have two wishes for Frederiksen"

(DR News, Aug. 1, 2019)
"Trump's visit will be cumbersome and important"

Trump will tell them that it will be "great' when all the ice in Greenland has melted. Then they can make more golf courses in a deal with Trump Enterprises in 2020.

TheSupermeerkat 5th August 2019 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baylor (Post 12776880)
Why should the US support a suicidal country? Scandinavia belongs to immigrants, according to its leaders. Let China colonize it then, and let the unhappy people die off.

If you'd mentioned rape capital of the world, I'd have a full house.

KDLarsen 5th August 2019 01:48 AM

The people behind the baby trump blimp have confirmed they will bring it to Denmark, pending approval from the police and other relevant authorities.

The visit is right in the middle of my post-summer vacation, so I might head over to join the protests. They won't get anywhere near trump of course, but it's better than staying home and doing nothing except express my disgust with him online.

dann 5th August 2019 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 12777073)
Trump will tell them that it will be "great' when all the ice in Greenland has melted. Then they can make more golf courses in a deal with Trump Enterprises in 2020.

It's probably about military strategy and mineral rights, but ...

Greenland's ice sheet just lost 11 billion tons of ice -- in one day (CNN, Aug. 2, 2019)

Greenland may actually start exporting sand for this reason:
Melting Greenland Is Awash in Sand (NYT, July 1, 2019)
Promises and perils of sand exloitation in Greenland (Nature, Feb. 11, 2019)
Mette dumpede matematik i gymnasiet: Nu er hendes forskning på forsiden af New York Times (DR.dk, Aug. 4, 2019)

a_unique_person 5th August 2019 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 12776473)
Those will just be fake news, while the lamestream media ignores the hordes of adoring fans.

Fox will be careful this time to make sure there are no protesters on screen.

dann 5th August 2019 03:04 AM

Quote:

Scandinavia belongs to immigrants, according to its leaders.

Google search results:
Quote:

No results found for "Scandinavia belongs to immigrants".
(But I guess there'll be one soon when Google discovers Baylor's post.)

Quote:

Let China colonize it then, and let the unhappy people die off.

Chinese immigrants to Denmark are few and far between:

Quote:

Statistics Denmark showed 9,799 people born in mainland China and 448 born in Taiwan living in Denmark as of October 2009.
Statistics Denmark showed in the first quarter of 2018 that 11,710 people with origins in mainland China are living in Denmark legally.
Chinese people in Denmark: Migration history (Wikipedia)
Quote:

The Chinese American community is the largest overseas Chinese community outside Asia. It is also the third largest community in the Chinese diaspora, behind the Chinese communities in Thailand and Malaysia. The 2016 Community Survey of the US Census estimates a population of Chinese Americans of one or more races to be 5,081,682. The Chinese American community comprises the largest ethnic group of Asian Americans, comprising 25.9% of the Asian American population as of 2010. Americans of Chinese descent, including those with partial Chinese ancestry constitute 1.5% of the total U.S. population as of 2017. According to the 2010 census, the Chinese American population numbered approximately 3.8 million. In 2010, half of Chinese-born people living in the United States resided in the states of California and New York.
Chinese Americans (Wikipedia)

I don't see the problem at all.

erlando 5th August 2019 03:27 AM

Quote:

Why should the US support a suicidal country? Scandinavia belongs to immigrants, according to its leaders. Let China colonize it then, and let the unhappy people die off.

What the hell are you talking about?