International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Social Issues & Current Events (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   What makes some people want to have sex with unwilling 'partners'? (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324594)

Roboramma 14th February 2020 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mycroft (Post 12989461)
Well, your evidence includes an anecdote from India of men being put to death for rape, which indicates they take rape very seriously.

Do you really think that's true? That rape in India is treated as or more seriously than in European countries?

Mycroft 15th February 2020 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baylor (Post 12990012)
Ok it's obvious you've never been to India which I guess is a huge insult according to this board.

I have not been to India, and am not insulted by it.

Are you claiming to have been to India?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baylor (Post 12990012)
No it isn't

If so, why are you so reluctant to clarify what you mean? Why do you play this silly game of 20 questions when you could just plainly state how you meant to be understood?

You've admitted it was "Northern Europeans" you believe are self-righteous. In the context of a discussion about attitudes towards rape the natural conclusion would be that you're saying Northern Europeans are self-righteous in regard to rape, but if that's not the case, what are you saying they are self-righteous about?

Baylor 15th February 2020 11:14 AM

I've explained that you are misinterpreting my words now this conversation has reached a dead end so please answer the question presented by roboramma

Mycroft 16th February 2020 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baylor (Post 12990429)
I've explained that you are misinterpreting my words now this conversation has reached a dead end so please answer the question presented by roboramma

Dead end indeed.

dann 21st February 2020 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roboramma (Post 12990086)
Do you really think that's true? That rape in India is treated as or more seriously than in European countries?

At least in some cases the punishment is harder than it would be in Europe: Fem mænd får livstid for gruppevoldtægt af dansk kvinde (TV2, April 16, 2018)

"Five men are sentenced to life in prison for gang raping Danish woman." I don't know if the nationality of the victim had anything to do with the sentence.

ETA:
Quote:

India's lower house of parliament passed a bill on Monday that will see the death penalty handed out to anyone convicted of raping a child under 12.
India death penalty: Does it actually deter rape? (BBC News, July 31, 2018)

dann 21st February 2020 06:28 AM

Consent to sexual violence used as an excuse in murder cases:

Quote:

At least 60 UK women have been killed in episodes of so-called "consensual" sexual violence since 1972, with at least 18 women dying in the last five years, according to the advocacy group We Can't Consent To This.
In 45% of those killings, the claim that a woman's injuries were sustained during a sex game "gone wrong" resulted in a lesser charge, a lighter sentence, an acquittal, or the death not being investigated, the group said.
Susan Edwards, a barrister and professor of law at the University of Buckingham, told CNN that 30 or 40 years ago, it was unlikely that a defendant would claim that the victim consented to sexual violence.
"He would be less likely then, I think, to try and use as an excuse that she had consented to sexual violence," said Edwards, who has been tracking and working on domestic violence cases since the 1980s.
"And if he had, then it would have been extremely doubted -- it wouldn't have gone in any way to his credit that he was trying to use such a totally unbelievable excuse," she added.
"Now, regrettably, there are some people that might be willing to believe it because we now live in a world where some people are tolerating this commercial sexualization of violence," she added.
(...)
Non-fatal strangulation by an intimate partner is considered an important "risk factor" for the homicide of women, indicating a greater likelihood that they will eventually be killed. A 2008 study conducted by researchers at Johns Hopkins University and the University of Virginia found that experiencing a non-fatal strangulation by an intimate partner made a woman six times more likely to be the victim of an attempted murder and seven times more likely to be the victim of homicide. Two thirds of the cases We Can't Consent to This studied involved strangulation, the group's founder, Fiona Mackenzie, told CNN.
Grace Millane and the rise of the ’50 Shades’ defense in murder trials (CNN, Feb. 21, 2020)

Quote:

We Can't Consent to This is a response to the increasing numbers of women and girls killed and injured in violence that is claimed to be consensual. You can read more here, and use the form below if you’d like to hear updates or get involved with the campaign.

We’ve now found 60 UK women who’ve been killed by men who claim a sex game, gone wrong - and in the last 5 years the defence was successful in 7 of the 17 killings of a woman which reached trial, with the man being found not guilty or receiving a manslaughter conviction. We've found many more women injured in what the accused men claim was consensual sexual violence.

Yet more women tell us it’s now commonplace to be assaulted and abused by men they’re dating, with 38% of UK women under 40 reporting being assaulted - choked, slapped, gagged or spat on - in otherwise consensual sex. That equates to 3.6 million women under 40 in the UK who have experienced unbidden violence in sex - and we know that women over 40 experience this too.

This is not just a UK problem: there are women killed and injured in Germany, Canada, Spain, Portugal, Mexico, Australia, Sweden, The US, Ireland, and beyond.

We do not believe that women can consent to their grievous injury or death, and will campaign until claiming this is no longer a useful defence.