International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Non-USA & General Politics (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Australian Politics - The Turnbull period. (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298187)

psionl0 14th September 2015 04:53 AM

Australian Politics - The Turnbull period.

It's official - Turnbull has just been elected PM by 54 votes to 44 and Julie Bishop is the deputy PM.

lionking 14th September 2015 04:59 AM

Treasurer will be interesting. Morrison was earlier reported as staying loyal to Abbott, but I'll bet he gets the job. Dutton? In the bin I hope. His gaffe and Abbott's laughing support may well have been the catalyst.

I wonder if Bishop and Turnbull have a "Kiribilli Agreement"? I think so.

arthwollipot 14th September 2015 05:04 AM

I'm not sure this is good for Labour. Tony could not have beaten Bill Who? in a general election. Turnbull might.

In fact, if Turnbull wants to win the next election, he will call for an immediate conscience vote on gay marriage. Pass that, then call an election.

He might have to do something with Syrian refugees too. And we will have a Liberal party government until 2020.

But I can't be sad that Abbott is out.

psionl0 14th September 2015 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 10872970)
I'm not sure this is good for Labour.

I don't think that Jeremy Corbyn has anything to worry about. OTOH Labor does.

Quote:

Tony could not have beaten Bill Who? in a general election. Turnbull might.

Yup.

icerat 14th September 2015 05:15 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure this is good for Labour. Tony could not have beaten Bill Who? in a general election. Turnbull might.

In fact, if Turnbull wants to win the next election, he will call for an immediate conscience vote on gay marriage. Pass that, then call an election.

He might have to do something with Syrian refugees too. And we will have a Liberal party government until 2020.

But I can't be sad that Abbott is out.

I've not supported the liberal party since Sallyanne Atkinson was Lord Mayor of Brisbane.

I worked with Malcolm during the Australian Republican Movement days, and if he can get his personal policy beliefs in to Liberal party policy, then it is a party I would vote for, and I would vote for Malcolm personally.

lionking 14th September 2015 05:20 AM

A November election will be a disaster for Labor. There needs to be a quick transition to Plibesek for Labor to win, and this will not happen before November.

arthwollipot 14th September 2015 05:23 AM

Right now I wouldn't vote for either of them.

Sideroxylon 14th September 2015 05:34 AM

Welded on Lib supporters I know not happy.

Damien Evans 14th September 2015 06:05 AM

Well, that makes me a tiny little bit optimistic about the liberal party actually being Liberal.

wombatwal 14th September 2015 10:35 AM

Yes, the Liberal Party electing a Liberal as it's leader. I never!!

arthwollipot 14th September 2015 04:10 PM

I love the people commenting this morning who don't know how parliament works.

"We didn't elect him!". Well, no, we didn't elect any Prime Minister. We elected the Party that elects the Prime Minister.

devnull 14th September 2015 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 10874187)

"We didn't elect him!". Well, no, we didn't elect any Prime Minister. We elected the Party that elects the Prime Minister.

To be fair, even the former PM had issues with this it seems.

He also "expected to win" and "was confident he had 45" so he couldnt do basic math either, but I digress.

a_unique_person 14th September 2015 06:09 PM

Still no sign of Tony. Until he resigns, Malcolm can't be sworn in.

He will also be the shortest serving PM since Billy McMahon. Not a good look.

novaphile 14th September 2015 07:10 PM

Supping from the Poisoned Chalice

I really don't think that Mr Turnbull has any hope in the role.

He could renege on some of the worst of the Lib's recent policies, i.e. build the NBN instead of the hopelessly mixed up fraudband project; stop the attacks on the most vulnerable etc...

But if he did, the ultra right-wingers in the party will fall on him like a pack of rabid dogs. (Any guesses how long it would be before Scott Morrison would be in the role in those circumstances?)

So, he has to continue with stuff like we heard last night "We failed to sell our message."

The problem is, Australia understood the message just fine, we just won't stand for it.

I'm expecting no changes, a temporary blip in the polls, and then a continued slide to oblivion.

angrysoba 14th September 2015 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lionking (Post 10872995)
A November election will be a disaster for Labor. There needs to be a quick transition to Plibesek for Labor to win, and this will not happen before November.

Quote:

Originally Posted by devnull (Post 10874200)
To be fair, even the former PM had issues with this it seems.

He also "expected to win" and "was confident he had 45" so he couldnt do basic math either, but I digress.

OT but is that really Australian spelling?

How would you spell words like:

centre, metre and favourite?

Back on topic: An Aussie friend of mine was opining last night that the margin of victory was too small for Turnbull to consider himself safe and that he expects Abbot to mount a leadership challenge of his own.

a_unique_person 14th September 2015 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angrysoba (Post 10874381)

Back on topic: An Aussie friend of mine was opining last night that the margin of victory was too small for Turnbull to consider himself safe and that he expects Abbot to mount a leadership challenge of his own.

Congratulations. You have spotted an interesting cultural anomaly.

The whole story of why it is spelled Labor.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/big-quest...829714837.html

Quote:

Name changes[edit]
The ALP adopted the formal name "Australian Labour Party" in 1908, but changed the spelling to "Labor" in 1912. While it is standard practice in Australian English both today and at the time to spell the word "labour" with a "u", the party was influenced by the United States labor movement, and a prominent figure in the early history of the party, the American-born King O'Malley, was successful in having the spelling "modernised".[13] The change also made it easier to distinguish references to the party from the labour movement in general.[14] (See also Spelling in Australian English.)

In South Australia the United Labor Party became the South Australian branch of the Australian Labor Party on 14 September 1917.[15]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austra...y#Name_changes

So I blame America. :boxedin:

a_unique_person 14th September 2015 07:28 PM

Quote:

Won't happen. The margin is bigger than Abbott had when he became leader (1 vote). Abbott is finished and the conservative faction has plenty of alternatives to choose from who are more rounded as political leaders, mainly Morrison. Abbott is turns out was capable of little more than repetitious slogans and head kicking. OK in opposition but severely lacking when you are supposed to be a leader. Right up to the end he was still going on about "Stopped the boats". People wanted him to do that, they don't like to be reminded of it all the time. Stopping boats is a very messy, inhuman process.

angrysoba 14th September 2015 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_unique_person (Post 10874387)
Won't happen. The margin is bigger than Abbott had when he became leader (1 vote). Abbott is finished and the conservative faction has plenty of alternatives to choose from who are more rounded as political leaders, mainly Morrison. Abbott is turns out was capable of little more than repetitious slogans and head kicking. OK in opposition but severely lacking when you are supposed to be a leader. Right up to the end he was still going on about "Stopped the boats". People wanted him to do that, they don't like to be reminded of it all the time. Stopping boats is a very messy, inhuman process.

Ah, so he's like the embodiment of their guilty consciences?

Thanks for the interesting posts.:thumbsup:

devnull 14th September 2015 07:47 PM

Quote:

Nah, 10 is a thumping. We wont see Abbott again.

a_unique_person 14th September 2015 08:01 PM

Quote:

One leading business figure picked it earlier this year when he said that "Tony Abbott tried being prime minister but found he preferred being Opposition leader".
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-1...abbott/6777070

He has appeared in public.

Quote:

Abbott hits out at "febrile" media culture "that rewards treachery".
:rolleyes:

arthwollipot 14th September 2015 08:02 PM

Has anyone posted this yet?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...of-tony-abbott

First Dog pulls no punches.

Quote:

Float away Tony you piece of political flotsam, you awkward smear on the nation's couch. Get out and don't come back.

lionking 14th September 2015 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devnull (Post 10874413)
Nah, 10 is a thumping. We wont see Abbott again.

Indeed. I wonder what Tone will do now. Surely resign and take up, what? His previous occupation was allegedly a journalist. News Ltd hack? He'd be in good company. Some conservative Think Tank job?

Whatever, as a person of influence, he's finished.

devnull 14th September 2015 08:48 PM

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliame...s_Seating_Plan

Abbott moved to back bench, but why is Hockey still involved? Turnbull trashed him, I cant believe he still wants to be involved!

The Atheist 14th September 2015 10:28 PM

Be afraid, Australia, be very *********** afraid:

A BROMANCE is already blossoming between Malcolm Turnbull and New Zealand’s prime minister.

During his first speech after toppling Tony Abbott, Mr Turnbull pointed to John Key as an example of a successful leader.

Link

alex04 15th September 2015 01:36 AM

Quote:

Malcolm Turnbull has taken an instant lead as preferred prime minister in the first poll taken since his swearing in on Tuesday.

The snap SMS Morgan poll showed 70 per cent of voters felt Mr Turnbull was the better prime minister, well ahead of 24 per cent for Labor leader Bill Shorten.

Six per cent of voters indicated someone else or could not say.

Even Labor voters were pleased with the change, with 50 per cent endorsing him as the better prime minister over 44 per cent for Mr Shorten.

Across all states, Mr Turnbull was most popular in Western Australia (76 per cent) and least popular in the ACT (61 per cent).

The poll involved 1204 voters and was conducted on Tuesday afternoon.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1227529072331

arthwollipot 15th September 2015 01:50 AM

Yup, that's exactly what I was worried about. If he's smart he'll call a November election.

lionking 15th September 2015 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 10874673)
Yup, that's exactly what I was worried about. If he's smart he'll call a November election.

I think it's a certainty.

Damien Evans 15th September 2015 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 10874187)

Personally I voted Greens followed by Sex Party followed by Labor in Scullin, not that it would have mattered where I put Giles from Labor, they could put up a penguin in Scullin and still win without going to preferences.

a_unique_person 15th September 2015 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devnull (Post 10874471)
http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliame...s_Seating_Plan

Abbott moved to back bench, but why is Hockey still involved? Turnbull trashed him, I cant believe he still wants to be involved!

Because he isn't going to resign. Turnbull tipped to give him the Communications Minister job instead. Turnbull must have had a smile on his face when he thought that one up. I would guess Joes' argument is that he was only obeying orders.

psionl0 15th September 2015 09:16 PM

It appears that the switch to Turnbull has given the Libs a 5% boost in the upcoming Canning by-election.

Quote:

Liberal candidate Andrew Hastie has extended his lead by five points over Labor's Matt Keogh on a two-party preferred basis to 57-43.

A ReachTEL poll for Seven West Media surveyed more than 1000 Canning residents on Monday night during the leadership spill, asking them to consider a scenario where Mr Turnbull was prime minister.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa...-canning-poll/

Robin 16th September 2015 07:00 AM

Quote:

It is spelt "labour" for normal uses, but the ALP has been "Labor" for more than a hundred years now. Not sure why.

Robin 16th September 2015 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon (Post 10873021)
Welded on Lib supporters I know not happy.

But where are they going to go?

Robin 16th September 2015 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lionking (Post 10874434)
Indeed. I wonder what Tone will do now. Surely resign and take up, what? His previous occupation was allegedly a journalist. News Ltd hack? He'd be in good company. Some conservative Think Tank job?

Whatever, as a person of influence, he's finished.

He could still make trouble. I know he said he wouldn't, but then again, he also said he had never leaked against anyone - which is a joke.

devnull 16th September 2015 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin (Post 10877140)
he also said he had never leaked against anyone - which is a joke.

See, that wasnt him, it was Credlin.

See the game he plays?

arthwollipot 16th September 2015 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin (Post 10877091)
It is spelt "labour" for normal uses, but the ALP has been "Labor" for more than a hundred years now. Not sure why.

The reason for that was posted in the old thread.

angrysoba 16th September 2015 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 10878340)
The reason for that was posted in the old thread.

It was posted here, in this thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_unique_person (Post 10874383)
Congratulations. You have spotted an interesting cultural anomaly.

The whole story of why it is spelled Labor.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/big-quest...829714837.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austra...y#Name_changes

So I blame America. :boxedin:

arthwollipot 16th September 2015 06:20 PM

My mistake. I got the two mixed up. They're really not that different, just with different titles... ;)

psionl0 16th September 2015 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 10878365)
My mistake. I got the two mixed up. They're really not that different, just with different titles... ;)

Abbott and Turnbull are radically different if the polls are right.
Quote:

The ReachTEL national survey of 3278 people, conducted on Tuesday night, found the coalition’s primary vote jumped three percentage points to 43.3 per cent, with the ALP on 35.5 per cent (down 1.6 points) and the Greens 11.9 (down 1.5 points).

On a two-party preferred basis, the coalition and the Labor Party are each on 50 per cent. The coalition has been stuck between 45 and 48 per cent in seven previous ReachTEL national surveys.

Mr Turnbull was the preferred PM for 62 per cent, compared with 38 per cent for Mr Shorten — a near reversal of last month’s survey that had Mr Shorten ahead of Mr Abbott 58-42.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/...er-new-leader/

angrysoba 16th September 2015 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psionl0 (Post 10878668)
Abbott and Turnbull are radically different if the polls are right.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/...er-new-leader/

I think arthwollipot meant that the threads are not so different.

arthwollipot 17th September 2015 12:00 AM

It was a joke cashing in on the frequenly-made comment that the Liberal Party won't change much just because it's got a new head.

#explainthejoke