International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Continuation The Trump Presidency: Part 26 (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347378)

Captain_Swoop 16th October 2020 11:47 AM

The Trump Presidency: Part 26
 
Trump Retweeted
The White House
@WhiteHouse

US government account
Today, President @realDonaldTrump is in Florida to talk with seniors about his plan to keep healthcare affordable, protect Social Security, and defend vulnerable Americans against the Coronavirus!
The Trump Administration stands with Florida small businesses, who have received $32.2 BILLION in @SBAgov loans to keep their doors open and employees on payroll!

Mod InfoContinued from this thread.

You can quote or reply to any post from that or previous instalments of this thread.
Posted By:zooterkin

shemp 16th October 2020 12:00 PM

Who in their right mind would toss their ballot into one of these obviously insecure cardboard boxes? Might as well throw it in a garbage can.

Captain_Swoop 16th October 2020 12:01 PM

Trump Retweeted
GOP
@GOP
“We love our senior citizens…You devoted your life to this country and I am devoting my life to you.”—@realDonaldTrump

The numbers speak for themselves! Pres. Trump has provided health care SAVINGS to our seniors.
AZ—premiums -22% after +64% w/ Obama-Biden.
NV—premiums -55% after Upwards +47% w/ Obama-Biden.
NC—premiums -44% after +44% w/ Obama-Biden.
OH—premiums -39% after +29% w/ Obama-Biden.

Team Trump (Text VOTE to 88022)
@TeamTrump
President @realDonaldTrump to seniors in #Florida: As long as I am President, NO ONE will lay a hand on your Medicare or Social Security

phiwum 16th October 2020 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13259716)
Yeah but the Republicans keep getting caught trying to kill Jim. This is just like the most recent time.

"Benefit of the Doubt" is a thing.

Okay, add to the story that I've been caught trying to kill Jim.

Doesn't mean I was doing so when I was driving recklessly on the same road he was walking.

Let's just wait and see if this was a voter suppression move on the GOP's part. At present, it doesn't look much like one. Had the boxes been in predominantly Democratic areas, I'd totally assume it was terribly underhanded voter suppression. As is, the boxes seem to violate CA law and should be prosecuted as the facts warrant and that's as far as the evidence goes.

phiwum 16th October 2020 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyr_13 (Post 13259735)
The mechanism here is violating the law in a way that gets those votes thrown out, which they can then cite as evidence that the election was rigged against them and the law is applied 'unevenly', or the votes get allowed in spite of the election law violation, which they can cite as evidence the election was insecure.

Either way, they can claim the election was invalid. It really isn't different than any government function that the GOP claims can't work, when the major reason it isn't working is they're sabotaging it.

It's totally possible that's the plan. If so, it's bound to fail now that the GOP has received prior notice. (Well, it's bound to be somewhat less effective, I should say. The true believers will believe, of course.)

GodMark2 16th October 2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RolandRat (Post 13258267)
"Donald Trump continues to trail his presidential challenger Joe Biden by as much as 17 points in the national polls and acknowledged his concern during his latest rally appearance in Des Moines, Iowa, on Wednesday night, telling his loyal crowd: "For me to only be up six [in Iowa], I'm a little bit concerned, I'll tell you that."

In a further sign of his desperation, the president later tweeted an astonishing plea to voters in the solidly-Democratic state of California, asking them “WHAT THE HELL DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE?” in voting for him."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...?ocid=msedgdhp

Given that the trump administration just denied California's request for federal aid in recovering from the forest fires on federal land, and that he just added Portland, OR to a list of cities to be excluded from already approved public transit funding, this starts to sound more like a threat than a plea.

'Noice city you have there. Very pleasant, highly flammable, good busses. What DO you have to loose?'

Safe-Keeper 16th October 2020 12:39 PM

I was kinda hoping 25 would be the last one. Oh well.

bonzombiekitty 16th October 2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Since the law says a group or organization may be designated, all the GOP needs to do is properly label the drop boxes. From there a group rep can sign the envelope.
That's the thing though. YOU didn't put the name on it or fill out that section. So if they do, that's fraudulent. I mentioned before there's nothing physically stopping them from doing it, but it would be fraud.

If someone drops it in that box thinking it's an official box (marked as such or not), they didn't give whoever is in control of the box permission to submit their ballot. They thought they were doing it themselves.

JoeMorgue 16th October 2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GodMark2 (Post 13259857)
Given that the trump administration just denied California's request for federal aid in recovering from the forest fires on federal land, and that he just added Portland, OR to a list of cities to be excluded from already approved public transit funding, this starts to sound more like a threat than a plea.

California and Oregon didn't vote for him. He literally doesn't consider himself their President.

Skeptic Ginger 16th October 2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty (Post 13259897)
That's the thing though. YOU didn't put the name on it or fill out that section. So if they do, that's fraudulent. I mentioned before there's nothing physically stopping them from doing it, but it would be fraud.

If someone drops it in that box thinking it's an official box (marked as such or not), they didn't give whoever is in control of the box permission to submit their ballot. They thought they were doing it themselves.

If the boxes are properly labeled and a Republican puts their ballot in it, who's to say they didn't designate the GOP campaign staff, the church or the gun store owner to submit the ballot?

How would election officials flag these ballots as not designated? If they contact the voter and ask, did you designate the church, GOP. gun shop owner to turn in your ballot for you, is the voter going to say, no?

bonzombiekitty 16th October 2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13259913)
If the boxes are properly labeled and a Republican puts their ballot in it, who's to say they didn't designate the GOP campaign staff, the church or the gun store owner to submit the ballot?

It doesn't matter. If they altered the ballot, that's fraud. In this case, we already know that for a period they were NOT labeled for any particular group, in fact they were labeled as official drop boxes.

Quote:

How would election officials flag these ballots as not designated? If they contact the voter and ask, did you designate the church, GOP. gun shop owner to turn in your ballot for you, is the voter going to say, no?
That's an entirely different issue. How you deal with it is a different issue than whether or not it's legal to begin with. I'm not suggesting the votes be thrown out. I'm suggesting that the people who put up the boxes and altered the ballots be prosecuted.

IMO the whole thing is nothing but a ploy to force a lawsuit.

Minoosh 16th October 2020 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GodMark2 (Post 13259857)
Given that the trump administration just denied California's request for federal aid in recovering from the forest fires on federal land, and that he just added Portland, OR to a list of cities to be excluded from already approved public transit funding, this starts to sound more like a threat than a plea.

I see this claim quite often but have never researched it for myself. In my state, the U.S. Forest Service is often the lead agency for firefighting/reporting because so much of the action occurs on National Forest land. Can you or anyone provide a link breaking down land ownership in Cali fires?

Yes, I'm lazy but I will try to chase this down on my own as well.

JoeMorgue 16th October 2020 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minoosh (Post 13259924)
I see this claim quite often but have never researched it for myself. In my state, the U.S. Forest Service is often the lead agency for firefighting/reporting because so much of the action occurs on National Forest land. Can you or anyone provide a link breaking down land ownership in Cali fires?

Yes, I'm lazy but I will try to chase this down on my own as well.

As of Sept 14 (will post more recent source if I can find it)

Federally managed land: 1.1 Million acres.
Non-Federally managed land: 769,000 acres

https://www.redding.com/story/news/2...om/5798896002/

Firestone 16th October 2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13259911)
California and Oregon didn't vote for him. He literally doesn't consider himself their President.

Governor Newsom half an hour ago: "Just got off phone with @realDonaldTrump who has approved our Major Disaster Declaration request.

Grateful for his quick response."

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/stat...529830912?s=19

Have to wonder if the quid pro quo was Newsom tweeting "Grateful for his quick response."

Elagabalus 16th October 2020 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestone (Post 13259948)
Governor Newsom half an hour ago: "Just got off phone with @realDonaldTrump who has approved our Major Disaster Declaration request.

Grateful for his quick response."

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/stat...529830912?s=19

Translation: Newsom leaned on Guilfoyle who leaned on Donny Jr. who leaned on Donny.

Firestone 16th October 2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elagabalus (Post 13259959)
Translation: Newsom leaned on Guilfoyle who leaned on Donny Jr. who leaned on Donny.

Oh yes, forgot about that.

Elagabalus 16th October 2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestone (Post 13259964)
Oh yes, forgot about that.


I think you're right about the quid pro quo. Newsom probably told Guilfoyle that he would say something nice on twitter if he got a chance to talk to Donny directly. Or something like that.

thaiboxerken 16th October 2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13259911)
California and Oregon didn't vote for him. He literally doesn't consider himself their President.

I wonder what Trumpanzees in the rural areas think about this.

JoeMorgue 16th October 2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken (Post 13259983)
I wonder what Trumpanzees in the rural areas think about this.

"LOL this fire burning my house down is sure tweaking those stupid libs in the big cities."

Captain_Swoop 16th October 2020 03:06 PM

Trumps Florida lunacy.

Trump pushes unfounded conspiracy theories and lies about Ilhan Omar. "Who came in here, married her brother or something, and came in illegally."
He says “Come on justice, let’s go justice, department of justice” while ranting about Omar
"I think we're going to win MN because of Omar. Think of it, she hates our country. She hates our country. She comes from a place that, ah, doesn't even have a govt, and then she comes here, she tells us how to run our country, and she hates our country."


"It's the enemy of the people. Our media is the enemy of the people. It's very, very dangerous, what they do, I will deliver optimism, opportunity, and hope"

"We can share a microphone now" Hope Hicks is at the rally, not wearing a mask, and for some reason she gets up to the lectern and says literally a couple of words

"I don't know what the hell they gave me, but I'll take some more of it right now"

Ron DeSantis is mingling with people without a mask. Ronna McDaniel, who just had coronavirus, also isn't wearing a mask.

Trump repeatedly claims that the military now has "hydrosonic" missiles. (I believe he meant "hypersonic")

"She's like, disappeared. Nobody can find her. She's not too popular right now" -- Trump on Savannah Guthrie after last night's NBC town hall

Stacyhs 16th October 2020 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13259911)
California and Oregon didn't vote for him. He literally doesn't consider himself their President.

He's not a petty, vindictive, little piece of ****, is he?

Stacyhs 16th October 2020 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13260041)
Trumps Florida lunacy.

Trump pushes unfounded conspiracy theories and lies about Ilhan Omar. "Who came in here, married her brother or something, and came in illegally."
He says “Come on justice, let’s go justice, department of justice” while ranting about Omar
"I think we're going to win MN because of Omar. Think of it, she hates our country. She hates our country. She comes from a place that, ah, doesn't even have a govt, and then she comes here, she tells us how to run our country, and she hates our country."


"It's the enemy of the people. Our media is the enemy of the people. It's very, very dangerous, what they do, I will deliver optimism, opportunity, and hope"

"We can share a microphone now" Hope Hicks is at the rally, not wearing a mask, and for some reason she gets up to the lectern and says literally a couple of words

"I don't know what the hell they gave me, but I'll take some more of it right now"

Ron DeSantis is mingling with people without a mask. Ronna McDaniel, who just had coronavirus, also isn't wearing a mask.

Trump repeatedly claims that the military now has "hydrosonic" missiles. (I believe he meant "hypersonic")

"She's like, disappeared. Nobody can find her. She's not too popular right now" -- Trump on Savannah Guthrie after last night's NBC town hall

The sooner that piece of crap is voted out, the better off this country will be. He has done so much damage. I just heard several of his idiot supporters interviewed at one of his rallies and their stupidity is mind blowing. QAnon believers, coronavirus minimizers, think he was sent from God, etc. Unbelievable.

Captain_Swoop 16th October 2020 07:03 PM

He's at it again.

Didn't have “Obama stole the ocean” on my bingo card
"In Maine, Obama took away 5,000 square miles of ocean. Can you believe it? I gave it back to the people of Maine."

"She's like, disappeared. Everybody thought it was so inappropriate, it was like, her face, the anger, the craziness"
For the second time today, Trump alludes to a weird conspiracy theory that Savannah Guthrie is in hiding after the NBC town hall.

"Lock them up. You should lock them up. Look up the Bidens. Lock up Hillary."

"Maxine Waters, you ever seen her house? Maxine. What a beautiful house she lives in. I wonder how that happened."

"Wise guys, these are wise guy. You know, you had that one guy who killed somebody in the street in Portland. Took 'em 3 days to arrest.
I sent in the US Marshals, you know? 15 minutes later, it was over"

"They automatically win California. I don't know why, California is doing so badly. The forest fires, no water, no this, no that. You know, minor little problems. They automatically win Illinois."

"Now she's blaming me because people were -- whatever, I don't know what's going on. I don't know, I wasn't invo-- and it was our people that caught them, right? It's Trump's fault." -- Trump on Gretchen Whitmer

Trump claims that Democrats want to "blow Mount Rushmore up"

Trump claims that AOC "knows nothing about the environment" but "has a great line of ********," then adds: "AOC plus three. These are not great academics. How about Ilhan Omar? she hates our country."

SezMe 16th October 2020 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elagabalus (Post 13259959)
Translation: Newsom leaned on Guilfoyle who leaned on Donny Jr. who leaned on Donny.

Depends on whether those two parted on good terms.

Ladewig 16th October 2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13260211)
He's at it again.

Didn't have “Obama stole the ocean” on my bingo card
"In Maine, Obama took away 5,000 square miles of ocean. Can you believe it? I gave it back to the people of Maine."
"

Im glad we are voting at the beginning of November and not the beginning of December. Because at the rate Trump is going we are about four weeks away from him claiming “Obama/Biden took all your guns away, but I gave them all back to you.”

Ladewig 16th October 2020 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GodMark2 (Post 13259857)
Given that the trump administration just denied California's request for federal aid in recovering from the forest fires on federal land, and that he just added Portland, OR to a list of cities to be excluded from already approved public transit funding, this starts to sound more like a threat than a plea.

'Noice city you have there. Very pleasant, highly flammable, good busses. What DO you have to loose?'



Why are you phrasing it as a veiled threat? He is saying, you have out-of-control fires but because you are a state that will not vote for me, I will make sure you get no federal money.

This is the guy who told Pence to not include certain states on COVID update calls because the governors did not show him respect.

The Great Zaganza 16th October 2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladewig (Post 13260234)
Im glad we are voting at the beginning of November and not the beginning of December. Because at the rate Trump is going we are about four weeks away from him claiming “Obama/Biden took all your guns away, but I gave them all back to you.”

Minus the bump stock.

Skeptic Ginger 16th October 2020 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty (Post 13259920)
It doesn't matter. If they altered the ballot, that's fraud. In this case, we already know that for a period they were NOT labeled for any particular group, in fact they were labeled as official drop boxes.



That's an entirely different issue. How you deal with it is a different issue than whether or not it's legal to begin with. I'm not suggesting the votes be thrown out. I'm suggesting that the people who put up the boxes and altered the ballots be prosecuted.

IMO the whole thing is nothing but a ploy to force a lawsuit.

In order to prosecute for fraud, one would need the voter to press the charge.

Not only is that incredibly unlikely to happen, it's even less likely anyone is going to waste the prosecution budget to pursue it.

Skeptic Ginger 16th October 2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestone (Post 13259948)
Governor Newsom half an hour ago: "Just got off phone with @realDonaldTrump who has approved our Major Disaster Declaration request.

Grateful for his quick response."

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/stat...529830912?s=19

Have to wonder if the quid pro quo was Newsom tweeting "Grateful for his quick response."

I think it was more likely someone told Trump it looked very bad to voters and he better take the petty decision back (not in those words mind you).

Skeptic Ginger 16th October 2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elagabalus (Post 13259959)
Translation: Newsom leaned on Guilfoyle who leaned on Donny Jr. who leaned on Donny.

Something about that relationship, I can't picture Newsom talking to Guilfoyle. :eusa_sick:

Skeptic Ginger 16th October 2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13260211)
He's at it again.

Didn't have “Obama stole the ocean” on my bingo card
"In Maine, Obama took away 5,000 square miles of ocean. Can you believe it? I gave it back to the people of Maine."

"She's like, disappeared. Everybody thought it was so inappropriate, it was like, her face, the anger, the craziness"
For the second time today, Trump alludes to a weird conspiracy theory that Savannah Guthrie is in hiding after the NBC town hall.

"Lock them up. You should lock them up. Look up the Bidens. Lock up Hillary."

"Maxine Waters, you ever seen her house? Maxine. What a beautiful house she lives in. I wonder how that happened."

"Wise guys, these are wise guy. You know, you had that one guy who killed somebody in the street in Portland. Took 'em 3 days to arrest.
I sent in the US Marshals, you know? 15 minutes later, it was over"

"They automatically win California. I don't know why, California is doing so badly. The forest fires, no water, no this, no that. You know, minor little problems. They automatically win Illinois."

"Now she's blaming me because people were -- whatever, I don't know what's going on. I don't know, I wasn't invo-- and it was our people that caught them, right? It's Trump's fault." -- Trump on Gretchen Whitmer

Trump claims that Democrats want to "blow Mount Rushmore up"

Trump claims that AOC "knows nothing about the environment" but "has a great line of ********," then adds: "AOC plus three. These are not great academics. How about Ilhan Omar? she hates our country."

In psychiatry we call that decompensating.

The Don 16th October 2020 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladewig (Post 13260234)
Im glad we are voting at the beginning of November and not the beginning of December. Because at the rate Trump is going we are about four weeks away from him claiming “Obama/Biden took all your guns away, but I gave them all back to you.”

.....and the sad thing is that 40%-45% of the US electorate would nod in agreement. :(

GodMark2 16th October 2020 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13260154)
He's not a petty, vindictive, little piece of ****, is he?

Correct.

He is not little.

Stacyhs 17th October 2020 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GodMark2 (Post 13260381)
Correct.

He is not little.

I stand corrected.

Captain_Swoop 17th October 2020 02:55 AM

Trump Retweeted

Rep. Matt Gaetz
@RepMattGaetz
Democrats and the media told us over and over again the Bidens were being falsely accused of improper behavior with Burisma and Ukraine.
They were wrong. There WAS corruption.
President @realDonaldTrump was right to ask about it.
The Bidens were lying.

RolandRat 17th October 2020 03:35 AM

"Trump called Joe Biden, the head of an "organized crime family" with Hunter Biden following around his famous father to "vacuum" millions of dollars to enrich the family."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...?ocid=msedgdhp

The guy has literally no shame and no sense of irony.

Craig4 17th October 2020 05:52 AM

Quote:

"The depths of his dishonesty is just astounding to me. The dishonesty, the transactional nature of every relationship, though it's more pathetic than anything else. He is the most flawed person I have ever met in my life," the retired Marine general has told friends,...
This is what John Kelly is saying about Trump these days.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/16/polit...als/index.html

Beelzebuddy 17th October 2020 06:01 AM

I wonder how much of the last four years could have been prevented had people been willing to speak out against Trump while they were still in a position to do a damn thing about it.

Aridas 17th October 2020 06:04 AM

To poke back to the previous thread only a little, because this particular discussion is mostly worthy of an eyeroll -

Quote:

You do know which side I'm on, right? I think you need to look in the mirror.
Way to miss the point. :rolleyes:

Yes, I know that you tend to be on the "Democrats side" - which is exactly why I said what I did there. Also, as you yourself said, the ballots in question will fairly certainly be mostly votes for Republicans. Hence the question - Are you of the crowd that only values things like electoral integrity and security when you think they will benefit "your side?" If shenanigans occur with the votes in unsecured ballot boxes with an unclear chain of access and possession, it'll fairly certainly hurt Republicans more, at least in a direct sense. That, in turn, gives rise to concerns about whether certain Republicans actually want said shenanigans to happen and how far they'd be willing to go to make them happen as part of larger strategies.

Quote:

I have seized upon the fact this is not the outrageous crime it is being portrayed as.

Was the goal to get Democratic ballots and toss them out? Or was the goal to make it easier for Republicans to vote, something legal in CA?
Thanks for confirming that you've seized upon one specific and rather unlikely concern out of the numerous concerns in play and keep treating it as if it were the only one of note, even after you've been given far more than ample explanation that, to emulate you for a moment, - YOU ARE FIGHTING A STRAWMAN.

Yeah, that's enough. If you are too busy not listening to what's actually being said, there's not much point in continuing.

Aridas 17th October 2020 06:28 AM

Anyways, to poke at a couple other things, it looks like Facebook's support for Republicans has been even more ingrained than one might expect -

Quote:

Excellent reporting from WSJ's @dseetharaman and @EmilyGlazer finds that Facebook engineers—with sign-off from Zuckerberg himself—retooled their algorithm to throttle traffic to high-value progressive news orgs, @MotherJones IN PARTICULAR
Also, Trump has now said that he might leave the country if Biden wins. Not that that would be an unexpected move, of course.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-20, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.