International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Social Issues & Current Events (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Having a stroke while black (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354788)

Thermal 14th October 2021 10:26 AM

This really sucks. I wonder if he was a heavy hand-washer with alcohol wipes, and that's why everyone, cops and hospital workers, misidentified what was going on? A long time ago I reeked of rubbing alcohol that I was using as a cleaner and got a hard once-over from a cop. I mean it's a possibility, that I hope to be the case more than both police and the whole freaking hospital being racists.

FWIW, the victim here doesn't care for crackers much, either:

Quote:

Immediately, I went to: all these white addicts all over nodding all over the place, they treat me like I'm a drunk on the street."

SuburbanTurkey 14th October 2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermal (Post 13629161)
This really sucks. I wonder if he was a heavy hand-washer with alcohol wipes, and that's why everyone, cops and hospital workers, misidentified what was going on? A long time ago I reeked of rubbing alcohol that I was using as a cleaner and got a hard once-over from a cop. I mean it's a possibility, that I hope to be the case more than both police and the whole freaking hospital being racists.

FWIW, the victim here doesn't care for crackers much, either:

Occam's razor is that the cop was lying in order to bolster his arrest report. I doubt the hospital smelled anything and just uncritically accepted the story from the cops that the man was wasted when he got dropped off at the ER.

plague311 14th October 2021 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermal (Post 13629161)
This really sucks. I wonder if he was a heavy hand-washer with alcohol wipes, and that's why everyone, cops and hospital workers, misidentified what was going on? A long time ago I reeked of rubbing alcohol that I was using as a cleaner and got a hard once-over from a cop. I mean it's a possibility, that I hope to be the case more than both police and the whole freaking hospital being racists.

The police called an ambulance when he fell so I'm more confused on how he ended up in an emergency room instead of a hospital bed. He fell over and hit his head, even if he was drunk that's still a cause for medical care. He sat in the emergency room for 7 hours after waiting 5 hours in the jail cell. So this is 12 hours later. It's pretty safe to say no one smelled a ******* thing and this is just a series of complete and total incompetence, in the best case scenario.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermal (Post 13629161)
FWIW, the victim here doesn't care for crackers much, either:

Yeah, something about being left to die for 12 hours and being crippled for the rest of his life due to lack of medical help must have chapped his ass. Irrational for sure.

Dr. Keith 14th October 2021 12:07 PM

Not to be crass, but by the time he got to the er he likely smelled of urine and maybe even feces. I’m sure a lot the drunks smell similar.

Warp12 14th October 2021 12:14 PM

Quote:

His wife Valerie suspects she knows the reason Boston police mistakenly thought he was drunk. Al is Black.

"Why they didn’t assume he was sick?" Valerie asks. "I can only and strongly believe it's because he's a Black male."
LMAO. Of course.

plague311 14th October 2021 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp12 (Post 13629309)
LMAO. Of course.

Excellent analysis.

In your opinion, why do you think the cops didn't assume he was sick, and instead assumed he was intoxicated?

Warp12 14th October 2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 13629334)
Excellent analysis.

In your opinion, why do you think the cops didn't assume he was sick, and instead assumed he was intoxicated?

One guess would be that they encounter a lot more passed out drunks than stroke victims? Poor training? Bad assumptions? Perhaps he was acting "drunk", in their eyes? Just shooting from the hip, here.

But no, it must have primarily been because he was black and also they just wanted to harm a stroke victim. Amirite? :rolleyes:

plague311 14th October 2021 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp12 (Post 13629343)
One guess would be that they encounter a lot more passed out drunks than stroke victims?

That pulled over on the side of the road without hitting anything? Possible I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp12 (Post 13629343)
Poor training?

I could make a good argument that racism is a result of poor training.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp12 (Post 13629343)
Bad assumptions?

We're getting there! Bad assumptions based on?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp12 (Post 13629343)
Perhaps he was acting "drunk", in their eyes? Just shooting from the hip, here.

Several things can make you "act drunk" but you said he was passed out. How do you unconsciously act drunk? The appropriate response would be to assume he isn't drunk until you confirm he is or isn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp12 (Post 13629343)
But no, it must have primarily been because he was black and also they just wanted to harm a stroke victim. Amirite? :rolleyes:

Do I think they purposefully wanted to harm him? No, not at all. Do I think it's possible that racism could have effected the way they treated him? Sure. It's definitely possible.

Thermal 14th October 2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp12 (Post 13629343)
One guess would be that they encounter a lot more passed out drunks than stroke victims? Poor training? Bad assumptions? Perhaps he was acting "drunk", in their eyes? Just shooting from the hip, here.

But no, it must have primarily been because he was black and also they just wanted to harm a stroke victim. Amirite? :rolleyes:

Weirder is the hospital playing along. Does this hospital have a history of mistreatment, or did they just happen to have a bunch of white supremacists on staff that night, the same night Officers Adolph and Mengele were on patrol?

I mean, I can see the cops being callous to someone who apparently looked like those "white addicts nodding off" all over the place. But hospitals usually have multiple personnel checking on anyone unconscious. Seems like an awful lot of people were either Aryan Brotherhood or recklessly incompetent all at once that night.

Warp12 14th October 2021 12:59 PM

Quote:

Immediately, I went to: all these white addicts all over nodding all over the place, they treat me like I'm a drunk on the street."
Finally! One of these threads with some verifiable racism in it. :thumbsup:

plague311 14th October 2021 01:03 PM

In light of the other thread, this is just *chefs kiss*

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermal (Post 13629362)
Weirder is the hospital playing along. Does this hospital have a history of mistreatment, or did they just happen to have a bunch of white supremacists on staff that night, the same night Officers Adolph and Mengele were on patrol?

No, weirder is that someone that came to a hospital in an ambulance was put in a waiting room instead of a hospital bed after they fell and hit their head.

I'll ask you the same thing then. In your opinion why do you think he got the treatment he did? Why do you think he was left without any medical treatment for 12ish hours?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermal (Post 13629362)
I mean, I can see the cops being callous to someone who apparently looked like those "white addicts nodding off" all over the place.

I'm not sure he was talking about the same place. He was taken to Tufts Medical Center and woke up 2 months later in Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermal (Post 13629362)
But hospitals usually have multiple personnel checking on anyone unconscious.

In the emergency room? Even when not admitted or in a hospital bed? No kidding? What hospital do you go to?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermal (Post 13629362)
Seems like an awful lot of people were either Aryan Brotherhood or recklessly incompetent all at once that night.

I'm still waiting for someone to offer a reasonable alternative explanation to the scenario. Take your time.

Thermal 14th October 2021 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 13629376)
In light of the other thread, this is just *chefs kiss*



No, weirder is that someone that came to a hospital in an ambulance was put in a waiting room instead of a hospital bed after they fell and hit their head.

I'll ask you the same thing then. In your opinion why do you think he got the treatment he did? Why do you think he was left without any medical treatment for 12ish hours?



I'm not sure he was talking about the same place. He was taken to Tufts Medical Center and woke up 2 months later in Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital.



In the emergency room? Even when not admitted or in a hospital bed? No kidding? What hospital do you go to?

When I was on a volley Rescue Squad and we brought in anyone unconscious for any supposed reason to any ER or trauma center, they were plugged in to monitor vitals. You know, so if they went into cardiac arrest or stopped breathing, loud noises would happen.

Quote:

I'm still waiting for someone to offer a reasonable alternative explanation to the scenario. Take your time.
Any number of explanations. Overworked staff. High volume of drunks and "white addicts nodding off", leading to bad judgement on their part. Simple "I thought Dave was looking at the drunk guy" screw ups? How about garden variety class contempt?

Got a ways to go to show cross-agency white supremacy, without a history of the same. Or one lone worker who says "man, this is one racist hospital" or something.

As always, the fact that the guy is black is not a gavel-drop for racism. As always, its a possibility. As always, it shouldn't be your first and only assumption over all others. You know, unless you feel those performative juices flowing and feel it's Showtime.

So far, there is one strong piece of racism showed: the stroke victims words regarding all those white addicts nodding off all over the joint.

plague311 14th October 2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermal (Post 13629406)
When I was on a volley Rescue Squad and we brought in anyone unconscious for any supposed reason to any ER or trauma center, they were plugged in to monitor vitals. You know, so if they went into cardiac arrest or stopped breathing, loud noises would happen.

Great, they didn't do any of that. They left him in the emergency room. No machines, nothing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermal (Post 13629406)
Any number of explanations. Overworked staff. High volume of drunks and "white addicts nodding off", leading to bad judgement on their part. Simple "I thought Dave was looking at the drunk guy" screw ups? How about garden variety class contempt?

Got a ways to go to show cross-agency white supremacy, without a history of the same. Or one lone worker who says "man, this is one racist hospital" or something.

As always, the fact that the guy is black is not a gavel-drop for racism. As always, its a possibility. As always, it shouldn't be your first and only assumption over all others. You know, unless you feel those performative juices flowing and feel it's Showtime.

So far, there is one strong piece of racism showed: the stroke victims words regarding all those white addicts nodding off all over the joint.

Yeah, he's the real racist. Man I love this forum.

mgidm86 14th October 2021 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 13629437)
Great, they didn't do any of that. They left him in the emergency room. No machines, nothing.



Yeah, he's the real racist. Man I love this forum.


Ya when you believe you're treated bad because of your color you are racist to point that out.

Thermal 14th October 2021 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 13629437)
Great, they didn't do any of that. They left him in the emergency room. No machines, nothing.

Um...yes, I know. You asked what kind of whacky ERs were in my neck of the woods. I answered with my direct and frequent experience with them.

Quote:

Yeah, he's the real racist. Man I love this forum.
What he said, in the few words he is quoted as saying, unquestionably *is* a real racist thing to say.

If the cops said "what will all those black drunks nodding off around here", you'd be howling to the rooftops about unquestionable proof of blatant racism. Don't lie and say you wouldn't.

SuburbanTurkey 14th October 2021 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermal (Post 13629362)
Weirder is the hospital playing along. Does this hospital have a history of mistreatment, or did they just happen to have a bunch of white supremacists on staff that night, the same night Officers Adolph and Mengele were on patrol?

I mean, I can see the cops being callous to someone who apparently looked like those "white addicts nodding off" all over the place. But hospitals usually have multiple personnel checking on anyone unconscious. Seems like an awful lot of people were either Aryan Brotherhood or recklessly incompetent all at once that night.

Or maybe the EMT and/or hospital just accepted that the cops telling them that the man was drunk were being truthful rather than just using pig intuition.

Boston has some of the finest hospitals in the country, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just deferred to the authority of a cop in such matters.

Thermal 14th October 2021 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey (Post 13629662)
Or maybe the EMT and/or hospital just accepted that the cops telling them that the man was drunk were being truthful rather than just using pig intuition.

Boston has some of the finest hospitals in the country, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just deferred to the authority of a cop in such matters.

You may know Bostonians better than most here, but I've never met a doctor anywhere that would defer to some cop, on anything at all, much less a medical diagnosis. Doctors, as a group, are the most arrogant bunch I've ever met, save attorneys, and defer to no one on anything unless they have half the alphabet following their name.

rockinkt 15th October 2021 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13628737)
I base my opinion on what I have observed, and on the appaling track record of white cops killing (mostly unarmed) black men.

There have certainly been a number of cases that have really been terrible incidences of racism. However, to take that fact and use it to justify claiming all screw-ups involving a white cop and black suspect is a pretty big stretch.

smartcooky 15th October 2021 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinkt (Post 13629912)
There have certainly been a number of cases that have really been terrible incidences of racism. However, to take that fact and use it to justify claiming all screw-ups involving a white cop and black suspect is a pretty big stretch.

Show me a list of unarmed white people who have been gunned down/murdered by white cops, complete with any of the following...

• Police Bodycam video
• Civilian video
• Statements by Police or DA's as to whether the cops will face charges

...and given that white people outnumber black people in the US by 6 to 1, your list will have to be at least six times longer than the list I posted in post 21 (plus those mentioned by Random and others).

When you have done that, I will consider the possibility that what I am seeing is not really what it looks like, and that unarmed black people are not murdered by white cops at a disproportionally high rate, and that the ranks of US police is not rife with white cops that are racist douchebags!

SuburbanTurkey 15th October 2021 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermal (Post 13629788)
You may know Bostonians better than most here, but I've never met a doctor anywhere that would defer to some cop, on anything at all, much less a medical diagnosis. Doctors, as a group, are the most arrogant bunch I've ever met, save attorneys, and defer to no one on anything unless they have half the alphabet following their name.

I think you have a rosey view of how people dragged to the ER in handcuffs are treated.

SuburbanTurkey 15th October 2021 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinkt (Post 13629912)
There have certainly been a number of cases that have really been terrible incidences of racism. However, to take that fact and use it to justify claiming all screw-ups involving a white cop and black suspect is a pretty big stretch.

I suppose that's the price the police pay for having 0 credibility on the issue. It's indisputable, in the general since, that the cops are racist as hell. Sucks for them that sometimes people unfairly make negative assumptions about their motives, but the cops are the ones responsible for their poor reputation.

For example, the same BPD recently reinstated a cop that bragged on camera about deliberately trying to run over BLM protestors.

Quote:

Boston police give short suspension to sergeant who bragged about hitting George Floyd protesters with his vehicle
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10/...h-his-vehicle/

Warp12 15th October 2021 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey (Post 13630026)
I suppose that's the price the police pay for having 0 credibility on the issue. It's indisputable, in the general since, that the cops are racist as hell. Sucks for them that sometimes people unfairly make negative assumptions about their motives, but the cops are the ones responsible for their poor reputation.

For example, the same BPD recently reinstated a cop that bragged on camera about deliberately trying to run over BLM protestors.



https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10/...h-his-vehicle/

Odd brag, considering:

Quote:

The internal affairs investigation report says that McHale told investigators that he "misspoke" when he said he hit protesters with his car. After interviewing witnesses and reviewing video, the investigators determined that McHale did not strike anyone with his car.

plague311 15th October 2021 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermal (Post 13629455)
Um...yes, I know. You asked what kind of whacky ERs were in my neck of the woods. I answered with my direct and frequent experience with them.

Right, so now that we've illustrated that extremely odd "service" this man was given in this hospital and by these police, the question is why? You're saying there's no reason to think it was widespread racism. Why...that would be crazy, right? What are the chances all of these people would be, what did you say? Part of the Aryan Brotherhood? That would be crazy.

Instead it was just mass, widespread complete and sheer ignorance, which is fine. The way I'm looking at it, it is entirely possible for it to be either. The chances are just as likely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermal (Post 13629455)
What he said, in the few words he is quoted as saying, unquestionably *is* a real racist thing to say.

If the cops said "what will all those black drunks nodding off around here", you'd be howling to the rooftops about unquestionable proof of blatant racism. Don't lie and say you wouldn't.

I don't have to lie. I also won't say that there probably isn't some racism included in his statement.

Want to know why I care **** all about it? In this case, I don't know that I would be that much different. When these situations come about I try to put myself in that scenario and think about how I feel, or how I would act, or what I would do. In this case, you can call it what you will. Incompetence, racism, ignorance, fragile police masculinity, whatever. I don't give a **** what it's called, but due to whatever it's name is, the man lost 2 months of his life that he'll never get back. He's permanently injured for the rest of his life and it's questionable if he'll ever be able to function the same. Not to even talk about the myriad of problems that can pop up after having a stroke, let alone one that was left untreated for 12 hours due to...whatever the **** it is we want to call it.

If all the man said was, "I was treated like this while these white addicts around here nodding off". I call that pretty tame. Am I condoning it? Nope, but if I had months of my life robbed from me and health issues for the rest of my life, I'd probably have a bit more to say.

plague311 15th October 2021 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinkt (Post 13629912)
There have certainly been a number of cases that have really been terrible incidences of racism. However, to take that fact and use it to justify claiming all screw-ups involving a white cop and black suspect is a pretty big stretch.

Thank God no one is doing that.

I like that we're classifying it as a "screw-up". A little "oopsie poo", we made a boo-boo and let a man having a stroke be untreated for 5 hours until he hit his head, and then left him in the emergency room for 7 more hours. "DOH!"

Warp12 15th October 2021 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 13630045)
Thank God no one is doing that.

I like that we're classifying it as a "screw-up". A little "oopsie poo", we made a boo-boo and let a man having a stroke be untreated for 5 hours until he hit his head, and then left him in the emergency room for 7 more hours. "DOH!"

But no evidence of racism, still. Which was the point

plague311 15th October 2021 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp12 (Post 13630049)
But no evidence of racism, still. Which was the point

It wouldn't matter Warp12, we both know that. Don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining.

As I mentioned before, there is NOTHING you guys would consider as evidence short of a recorded video of the cop screaming "Die! Die!" at the man while he's passed out in his car. Even then you'd probably say he was speaking Dutch or something and it really meant "Wake my brother, wake".

If saying "it wasn't racism, it was just sheer incompetence on a widespread scale" makes you feel better. Well, as you said, "odd brag".

Warp12 15th October 2021 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 13630054)
It wouldn't matter Warp12, we both know that. Don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining.

<more attempted redirection>

There is no evidence of racism in this case. Simple.

plague311 15th October 2021 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp12 (Post 13630059)
There is no evidence of racism in this case. Simple.

If that's the win you need. You take that victory lap, fella.

smartcooky 15th October 2021 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 13630054)
It wouldn't matter Warp12, we both know that. Don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining.

As I mentioned before, there is NOTHING you guys would consider as evidence short of a recorded video of the cop screaming "Die! Die!" at the man while he's passed out in his car. Even then you'd probably say he was speaking Dutch or something and it really meant "Wake my brother, wake".

If saying "it wasn't racism, it was just sheer incompetence on a widespread scale" makes you feel better. Well, as you said, "odd brag".

A white cop could be screaming "stop you ******* n-word!!" as he shoots an unarmed black man in the back, and our ultra conservative right wing contingent would still claim there was "no evidence of racism!"

smartcooky 15th October 2021 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp12 (Post 13630059)
There is no evidence of racism in this case. Simple.

If you wish to delude yourself, that's your prerogative...

Warp12 15th October 2021 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp12 (Post 13630059)
There is no evidence of racism in this case. Simple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13630065)
If you wish to delude yourself, that's your prerogative...

Then provide the evidence, if there is some.

Dr. Keith 15th October 2021 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp12 (Post 13630059)
There is no evidence of racism in this case. Simple.

How would this case look different if the cops were racist?

If they act the same way a racist cop would act does it really matter to their victim if their racism is well evidenced in this particular case?

If black people are statistically more likely to be at the receiving end of the police force’s “oopsie” moments then that is evidence of racism. Each “oopsie” moment doesn’t need to have a cop on tape saying “I am not following proper procedure because of this citizen’s racial composition, which to me appears to contain African influences” for it to add to the evidence that the PD has a racism problem.

Most racists are not Proud Boys, they just treat people worse because of their race. Maybe it is a slight thing maybe it is something more. I’d say along that spectrum there is a cop that doesn’t use the n-word while in uniform, but also knows that the black drunks and druggies make his job harder than it should be. He has seen it all before and it is a waste of city money to call an ambulance for another drunk or drugged out black guy on the side of the road. That’s why we hire cops, to trust their gut and look out for the good taxpayers of the city who work hard and live closer to their bar of choice so the pass out at home and not on the side of the road.

Well done for not going to that KKK meeting his uncle invited him to, but that doesn’t make him not a racist.

Warp12 15th October 2021 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith (Post 13630119)
<nothing to do with this case, of course>

Do you have any evidence of racism, in this case?

plague311 15th October 2021 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith (Post 13630119)
How would this case look different if the cops were racist?

If they act the same way a racist cop would act does it really matter to their victim if their racism is well evidenced in this particular case?

If black people are statistically more likely to be at the receiving end of the police force’s “oopsie” moments then that is evidence of racism. Each “oopsie” moment doesn’t need to have a cop on tape saying “I am not following proper procedure because of this citizen’s racial composition, which to me appears to contain African influences” for it to add to the evidence that the PD has a racism problem.

Most racists are not Proud Boys, they just treat people worse because of their race. Maybe it is a slight thing maybe it is something more. I’d say along that spectrum there is a cop that doesn’t use the n-word while in uniform, but also knows that the black drunks and druggies make his job harder than it should be. He has seen it all before and it is a waste of city money to call an ambulance for another drunk or drugged out black guy on the side of the road. That’s why we hire cops, to trust their gut and look out for the good taxpayers of the city who work hard and live closer to their bar of choice so the pass out at home and not on the side of the road.

Well done for not going to that KKK meeting his uncle invited him to, but that doesn’t make him not a racist.

Quote:

God darnit, Mr. Lamarr, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore.
For real though, that's about the best breakdown that I've seen, and I agree with all of it. I wish I could phrase things that way but I swear...a lot.

Well done.

Dr. Keith 15th October 2021 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp12 (Post 13630123)
Do you have any evidence of racism, in this case?

How would this case look different if the cops were racist?

(Additional paragraphs removed to help the reader focus.)

Dr. Keith 15th October 2021 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 13630130)
For real though, that's about the best breakdown that I've seen, and I agree with all of it. I wish I could phrase things that way but I swear...a lot.

Well done.

**** son, that is a ************* compliment and I put this **** up on my wall to celebrate.

Warp12 15th October 2021 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith (Post 13630132)
How would this case look different if the cops were racist?

(Additional paragraphs removed to help the reader focus.)

I don't have to make up any fictional stories in order to state that there is no evidence of racism here. If you find some evidence (not conjecture), please provide it. Otherwise, you have zilch to make such a claim.

Now, on the subject of "incompetence", that is a different matter.

plague311 15th October 2021 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp12 (Post 13630137)
I don't have to make up any fictional stories in order to state that there is no evidence of racism here. If you find some evidence (not conjecture), please provide it. Otherwise, you have zilch to make such a claim.

Well that was an awesome dodge. If this was D&D you would have rolled at least a 20 for that skill check.

Warp12 15th October 2021 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp12 (Post 13630137)
I don't have to make up any fictional stories in order to state that there is no evidence of racism here. If you find some evidence (not conjecture), please provide it. Otherwise, you have zilch to make such a claim.

Now, on the subject of "incompetence", that is a different matter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 13630143)
Well that was an awesome dodge. If this was D&D you would have rolled at least a 20 for that skill check.

The burden of proof is on the accuser. There is no evidence that has been presented which indicates racism was a factor in this case.

Thermal 15th October 2021 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith (Post 13630119)
How would this case look different if the cops were racist?

If they act the same way a racist cop would act does it really matter to their victim if their racism is well evidenced in this particular case?

If black people are statistically more likely to be at the receiving end of the police force’s “oopsie” moments then that is evidence of racism. Each “oopsie” moment doesn’t need to have a cop on tape saying “I am not following proper procedure because of this citizen’s racial composition, which to me appears to contain African influences” for it to add to the evidence that the PD has a racism problem.

Most racists are not Proud Boys, they just treat people worse because of their race. Maybe it is a slight thing maybe it is something more. I’d say along that spectrum there is a cop that doesn’t use the n-word while in uniform, but also knows that the black drunks and druggies make his job harder than it should be. He has seen it all before and it is a waste of city money to call an ambulance for another drunk or drugged out black guy on the side of the road. That’s why we hire cops, to trust their gut and look out for the good taxpayers of the city who work hard and live closer to their bar of choice so the pass out at home and not on the side of the road.

Well done for not going to that KKK meeting his uncle invited him to, but that doesn’t make him not a racist.

Historically, the cops wouldn't take him to the ER at all. Give him the Rodney King treatment on the side of the road and take him to a holding cell instead of a hospital. Tase him, claiming he took a run at the cops. Clean out his wallet and leave a pile of citations on the dashboard for illegal parking, etc. There's quite a staggering amount of options south of "take him to the ER for medical care", as callous as they were about it.

But as always, that's not what's going on here. What we have are two distinct elements: a story about a man who received horrifically negligent treatment at the hands of Boston PD and the hospital, and a separate and utterly gratuitous narrative that this shows racist motivation. Which element is more important to posters here? Well just look at the ******* thread title.

Its this half-assed performance piece of insisting that the actors are all racists that gets under the skin, for some of us. The discussion here should be more along the lines of "wtf is wrong with these cops? More importantly, wtf is going on with the attendant physicians and nurses in that ER?"

So someone says it's racism, nodding and gazing at the horizon. "Any evidence of that?" queries another. "You're a racist!" comes the mindless retort.

And round and round we go in today's episode of White Performative Allies Calling Other White People Racists and Patting Themselves on the Back.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-20, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.