International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Merged: What is Parler? / Parler gets owned (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348919)

lobosrul5 11th January 2021 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13357012)
They should have left it up a bit longer but I doubt the FBI had the wherewithal to ask the media companies involved to wait.

Or maybe they did and that's why Parler was given 24 hours notice.

Amazon still has all their data. Probably 3 to 5 copies in each of their data centers.

Stacyhs 12th January 2021 01:29 AM

never mind

Stacyhs 12th January 2021 02:02 AM

Leave it to the right wing ignoramuses to screw up the clever use of the French "parler" by pronouncing it "parlor".

Squeegee Beckenheim 12th January 2021 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13357013)
It could be, because after all this has happened, and they have been burned so badly, large numbers of them might not trust any "Parler replacement" platform. There are already rumours circulating among some conservative discussion boards that "Parler" was a honey trap set by "them". This was mooted as a possibility as early as June last year!

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2020/06/parler-is-trap.html

I doubt it was a honeytrap with Rebekah Mercer at the wheel. She's a big Republican/Trump donor. However, since she's also the person behind Cambridge Analytica and its child company, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a fair amount of data harvesting going on.

The Great Zaganza 12th January 2021 04:36 AM

because there is no money in pandering to the radical right, only those with a political agenda are willing to finance platforms like Parler.

Squeegee Beckenheim 12th January 2021 04:49 AM

Parler has found a new home

cow_cat 12th January 2021 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim (Post 13357942)

Interesting. I wonder how ParlerV2 will separate out the old "verified" admin accounts from the newer "hacktivist" admin accounts? Further, with the Parler data dump, surely it's simple to work out username/passwords of old accounts (even if the data dump of ParlerV1 didn't store passwords in plain text) and thus become vulnerable to further attacks from "verified" accounts?

Even if ParlerV2 manages to comprehensively address any and all further security problems, I suspect that the damage has already been done. Maybe they'll rebrand it Sprechen?

Darat 12th January 2021 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim (Post 13357942)

Thought if it was still to be based in the USA it would be them.


The article is interesting as well as I'm slightly confused about an example...

".... With users as wide-ranging as Texas Senator Ted Cruz and neo-Nazi terror groups, ....

That's meant to show wide-ranging.........


:)

johnny karate 12th January 2021 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim (Post 13357942)

*phew* Freedom of Speech is saved. That was a close one.

Stacyhs 12th January 2021 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cow_cat (Post 13357984)
Interesting. I wonder how ParlerV2 will separate out the old "verified" admin accounts from the newer "hacktivist" admin accounts? Further, with the Parler data dump, surely it's simple to work out username/passwords of old accounts (even if the data dump of ParlerV1 didn't store passwords in plain text) and thus become vulnerable to further attacks from "verified" accounts?

Even if ParlerV2 manages to comprehensively address any and all further security problems, I suspect that the damage has already been done. Maybe they'll rebrand it Sprechen?

Which they'll rhyme with "Gretchen".

Vixen 12th January 2021 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 13356790)
If I was a Conspiracy Nut, I might think that the FBI created Parler as a trap ...

Many a true word said in jest.

ChristianProgressive 15th January 2021 10:11 AM

Does anyone know where the "Parlor archive" can be accessed? SOMEONE has to have posted it by now.

SuburbanTurkey 15th January 2021 10:29 AM

For all this talk about moderation policies, the CHUDs kinda lost sight of the fact that Parler isn't going to break the law for them. They will respond to subpoenas regarding the criminal behavior of their users.

Since it has such loose moderation policies, many on the service felt pretty comfortable making death threats or openly discussing their intentions to engage in criminal violence. Parler will allow you to conspire with other criminals. Parler will allow you to post videos and pictures that are rich with metadata. Parler will kindly pack this up and turn it over the feds when asked.

I can't find the link now, but there was one press release that heavily implied that someone was ID'd not from video, but from information the feds got from Parler after issuing a subpoena.

RecoveringYuppy 15th January 2021 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey (Post 13362146)
turn it over the feds when asked.


Apparently they didn't even need to be asked.

smartcooky 15th January 2021 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cow_cat (Post 13357984)
Interesting. I wonder how ParlerV2 will separate out the old "verified" admin accounts from the newer "hacktivist" admin accounts? Further, with the Parler data dump, surely it's simple to work out username/passwords of old accounts (even if the data dump of ParlerV1 didn't store passwords in plain text) and thus become vulnerable to further attacks from "verified" accounts?

Even if ParlerV2 manages to comprehensively address any and all further security problems, I suspect that the damage has already been done. Maybe they'll rebrand it Sprechen?

Actually, this is a good point. If they don't start from scratch (requiring all members to sign up anew) and instead, bring over their membership list, it will be difficult to determine which accounts are fake admins. Sure they could write a script to do that, but if they were so dumb as to allow their original platform to be compromised so easily, I don't have a lot of faith in their ability to do that - I mean having "verified citizen" accounts using images of both sides of an ID card/Driver's license with unencrypted real names, and actual addresses and telephone numbers? Seriously?

Mader Levap 15th January 2021 12:21 PM

It should be simple. It is not like they give legitimate admin/moderator/whatever accounts to just anyone, right? Block all accounts with elevated rights made after date X.

Key word is should. With their incompetency, who knows what homebrew unmaintanenanceable horror they concocted.

cow_cat 15th January 2021 01:24 PM

True. I am speculating slightly on exactly what data were stored, and if the people who created all of the 'fake' admin accounts couldn't change the timestamp of data creation. As far as I know, these are unknowns.

However if you simply cycled through all users with the password 'MAGA2024!', you would probably access 10% of all accounts.

Dr. Keith 15th January 2021 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cow_cat (Post 13362344)
True. I am speculating slightly on exactly what data were stored, and if the people who created all of the 'fake' admin accounts couldn't change the timestamp of data creation. As far as I know, these are unknowns.

However if you simply cycled through all users with the password 'MAGA2024!', you would probably access 10% of all accounts.

Mine is safe: HeartMAGA2024!Heart

Mader Levap 15th January 2021 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cow_cat (Post 13362344)
However if you simply cycled through all users with the password 'MAGA2024!', you would probably access 10% of all accounts.

I like your insinuation they store passwords in plaintext. :p

Squeegee Beckenheim 16th January 2021 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13362250)
I mean having "verified citizen" accounts using images of both sides of an ID card/Driver's license with unencrypted real names, and actual addresses and telephone numbers? Seriously?

This makes more sense if you consider that the owners don't care about the users, and just happen to be the people behind Cambridge Analytica. I'd be very surprised if that, or any other information was ever intended to just sit there.

Minoosh 16th January 2021 03:34 PM

Here's what I don't understand about the cloud. I'm assuming it is just a network of computers. If someone wanted to have their own functional social media network, why do they need, for example, Amazon? Do you need a host if you have your own network of servers?

I am thinking server is just another word for computer but I may be picturing this all wrong.

(hey ... you ... offa my cloud!")

But then I don't understand the business model to begin with. I hate getting targeted ads; I find it quite creepy. Frankly by the time you've bought into a cloud IMO you've already gone full Orwell. Or worse. "Please put me under surveillance, I don't want to miss any ads on tactical equipment or one easy trick to burning belly fat!"

RecoveringYuppy 16th January 2021 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minoosh (Post 13363396)
If someone wanted to have their own functional social media network, why do they need, for example, Amazon? Do you need a host if you have your own network of servers?

I am thinking server is just another word for computer but I may be picturing this all wrong.

A server is just a computer and you don't need Amazon if you have your own network of servers. But Amazon and other cloud providers can provide them and let you focus on what you want those servers to do rather than having to "reinvent the wheel" for managing servers. And they can usually do it cheaper than you can. And offer a lot more flexibility in how fast you can scale up or scale down your needs.

RecoveringYuppy 16th January 2021 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minoosh (Post 13363396)
But then I don't understand the business model to begin with. I hate getting targeted ads; I find it quite creepy. Frankly by the time you've bought into a cloud IMO you've already gone full Orwell. Or worse. "Please put me under surveillance, I don't want to miss any ads on tactical equipment or one easy trick to burning belly fat!"

This is a separate topic. Being on the cloud has no impact on a service giving you targeted ads. You can do or not do that on or off the cloud.

Minoosh 16th January 2021 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy (Post 13363420)
A server is just a computer and you don't need Amazon if you have your own network of servers. But Amazon and other cloud providers can provide them and let you focus on what you want those servers to do rather than having to "reinvent the wheel" for managing servers. And they can usually do it cheaper than you can. And offer a lot more flexibility in how fast you can scale up or scale down your needs.

Thanks; that was a useful answer.

acbytesla 16th January 2021 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy (Post 13363420)
A server is just a computer and you don't need Amazon if you have your own network of servers. But Amazon and other cloud providers can provide them and let you focus on what you want those servers to do rather than having to "reinvent the wheel" for managing servers. And they can usually do it cheaper than you can. And offer a lot more flexibility in how fast you can scale up or scale down your needs.

I've worked with a lot of companies that use to host their own servers. But many have stopped because it is cheaper in so many ways to let the big boys do it for them. That allows them to focus on their own business as opposed to also manage an IT staff and equipment. There are the servers, the electrical power, the air conditioning, the racking, the servers and disk arrays, the routers and switches, the backup equipment. And what if it goes down? These companies don't need to fret about buying Sun v HP or Cisco or F5, etc etc etc. They just ask for a specific amount of bandwidth and processing power and maybe a few other services.

That doesn't make it right for every company. But it makes a lot of sense for many.

Wudang 17th January 2021 01:04 AM

Agreed. For a few years I worked for a major bank writing tools where none existed and customising vendor tools and so much of that comes as standard with AWS. It’s not just the servers, it’s managing them.

JoeMorgue 17th January 2021 06:14 PM

Parler is back online under a new, currently unknown, web host.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/17/tech/...ine/index.html

Stacyhs 18th January 2021 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13364640)
Parler is back online under a new, currently unknown, web host.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/17/tech/...ine/index.html

It does not seem to be back online as it says

Quote:

"Now seems like the right time to remind you all — both lovers and haters — why we started this platform," the status update said. "We believe privacy is paramount and free speech essential, especially on social media. Our aim has always been to provide a nonpartisan public square where individuals can enjoy and exercise their rights to both. We will resolve any challenge before us and plan to welcome all of you back soon. We will not let civil discourse perish!"

The Great Zaganza 18th January 2021 01:27 AM

I'm betting that, as soon as Parler opens again, tech savvy people will try to find exploits.

Jim_MDP 18th January 2021 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 13364941)
I'm betting that, as soon as Parler opens again, tech savvy people will try to find exploits.

And the bastards will find them too... before the school kids have their chance.
[emoji1]

plague311 18th January 2021 07:54 AM

Looks like their website is being hosted by Epik, who also hosts Gab I'm pretty sure, but it's just a holding page. It's not the app or anything. Just a way to let people know they still exist.

Darat 18th January 2021 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 13365159)
Looks like their website is being hosted by Epik, who also hosts Gab I'm pretty sure, but it's just a holding page. It's not the app or anything. Just a way to let people know they still exist.

What’s taking them so long. They said they would be back within 12 hours...

Porky pies...

Good to see how their lies are hurting their legal case.

Darat 18th January 2021 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wudang (Post 13363829)
Agreed. For a few years I worked for a major bank writing tools where none existed and customising vendor tools and so much of that comes as standard with AWS. It’s not just the servers, it’s managing them.

Not in this case their CEO told us they developed “bare metal” and didn’t rely on AWS infrastructure....

zorro99 18th January 2021 08:59 AM

8chan was out for three months.

zorro99 18th January 2021 09:01 AM

CEO John Matze told Reuters on Wednesday that much about the app and website is still up in the air after businesses cut ties to the company. Amazon said it removed Parler from its cloud-hosting service because the social media platform was not effectively moderating and removing violent content. Now Matze says the company’s fate is uncertain.

“It could be never,” he said when asked about if and when Parler will be back online for its millions of users. “We don’t know yet.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...r-return-matze

Darat 18th January 2021 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorro99 (Post 13365228)
CEO John Matze told Reuters on Wednesday that much about the app and website is still up in the air after businesses cut ties to the company. Amazon said it removed Parler from its cloud-hosting service because the social media platform was not effectively moderating and removing violent content. Now Matze says the company’s fate is uncertain.

“It could be never,” he said when asked about if and when Parler will be back online for its millions of users. “We don’t know yet.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...r-return-matze

That sounds like his legal team is now telling him what to say.

plague311 18th January 2021 10:07 AM

The time\money associated with them having to remove tons of admin accounts (which wouldn't be terrible), clean up your user database because I'm positive they didn't just make admin accounts, find out how to secure the system again, download, upload, find vendors, etc., confirm the data that should be there, is there, and so on and so on, would be massive.

I can't imagine that Parler was all that profitable before, and I have serious doubts that they'd have the immediate funding or staff to take on a project that size. I guess they do have Mrs. Moneybags, whoever that was I forgot her name, but it would still take a lot of time. I'd damn near start over.

SuburbanTurkey 18th January 2021 10:47 AM

The technical problems are why Parler isn't up right now, but it's an open question whether it would even be popular again even if it worked right now.

the biggest problem for parler is that bubble of impunity has popped. Parler might have had extremely loose moderation standards, but that doesn't mean a thing when it comes to criminal liability.

Parler users are seeing posts and metadata show up on probable cause applications and indictments filed by the feds for many of the capitol hill invaders. The party is over, anyone who isn't currently facing criminal liability is probably sobering up and realizing that they can't go back to openly plotting criminal activity like before.

Thoughts about opsec is probably on the minds of most of the extreme right, and going back to some giant honeypot like Parler is probably the last thing they want to do.

dudalb 18th January 2021 12:43 PM

PArler has pretty much screwed itslef by it's embrace of far right extremism. The brand is simply too toxic now.

SuburbanTurkey 18th January 2021 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13365517)
PArler has pretty much screwed itslef by it's embrace of far right extremism. The brand is simply too toxic now.

Gab's still kicking around. Bowers posted on Gab right before shooting up the Tree of Life synagogue and it's still chugging along years later.

These places are never going to be true competitors to mainstream social media outlets, but they can probably survive as the niche hangout for various extremists.

Nazis are always going to need a place to discuss the merits of optics vs accelerationism.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bowers on Gab, immediately prior to his mass shooting at a synagogue
HIAS likes to bring invaders in that kill our people. I can't sit by and watch my people get slaughtered. Screw your optics, I'm going in.



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-20, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.