International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Merged: What is Parler? / Parler gets owned (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348919)

dudalb 18th January 2021 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey (Post 13365528)
Gab's still kicking around. Bowers posted on Gab right before shooting up the Tree of Life synagogue.

These places are never going to be true competitors to mainstream social media outlets, but they can probably survive as the niche hangout for various extremists.

Nazis are always going to need a place to discuss the merits of optics vs accelerationism.

Oh, Parler will still be around, but any hopes it had of being a major player n Social Media are pretty much gone.

SuburbanTurkey 18th January 2021 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13365549)
Oh, Parler will still be around, but any hopes it had of being a major player n Social Media are pretty much gone.

It was unusual because it was bankrolled by the Mercers, among other right wing ghouls. I very much doubt there was much plan to actually make it a moneymaker, it was just useful to the right wing political project to have a platform.

Others, like Gab, are constantly plagued with downages and terrible programming because they are so strapped for cash and are largely unable to woo advertisers because of the noxious denizens of the platform.

I wonder if the money is still going to be rolling into Parler after getting so publicly embarrassed.

Squeegee Beckenheim 19th January 2021 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13365517)
PArler has pretty much screwed itslef by it's embrace of far right extremism. The brand is simply too toxic now.

Embracing right-wing extremism is its reson d'etra. Well, that and data-mining.

The Great Zaganza 19th January 2021 03:39 AM

Parler won't resurrect - there will be something else.

angrysoba 19th January 2021 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13365517)
PArler has pretty much screwed itslef by it's embrace of far right extremism. The brand is simply too toxic now.

Too toxic for what?

bam 19th January 2021 04:12 AM

Too toxic for mainstream advertisers to use to pay the bills and generate some profit.

Wudang 19th January 2021 04:15 AM

Coming back with at least partially Russian support.

https://www.msn.com/en-za/news/world...rm/ar-BB1cRCHF

bam 19th January 2021 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wudang (Post 13366228)
Coming back with at least partially even more Russian support.

https://www.msn.com/en-za/news/world...rm/ar-BB1cRCHF

More bots, more betterer!

Wudang 19th January 2021 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bam (Post 13366259)
More bots, more betterer!

In Russia computer hacks you.

Darat 19th January 2021 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13365549)

I donít think that was ever its goal.

Stacyhs 20th January 2021 12:30 AM

Apparently there is a new online platform for the nut jobs called Telegram that gained over 200K followers in 24 hours that is posing as the Vice Chairman as the Joint Chief of Staff according to CNN. It's promising that Trump still has "something up his sleeve" and that he could declare martial law. These whack a doodles just don't know when to give up.

Susheel 20th January 2021 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13367382)
Apparently there is a new online platform for the nut jobs called Telegram that gained over 200K followers in 24 hours that is posing as the Vice Chairman as the Joint Chief of Staff according to CNN. It's promising that Trump still has "something up his sleeve" and that he could declare martial law. These whack a doodles just don't know when to give up.

Telegram has been around for years. Also, it is more of a messaging platform line WhatsApp rather than something on the lines of Twitter. I think the biggest setback for the Trumptrash has been Trump's eviction from Twitter. I don't think they will have a platform as powerful as that.

Stacyhs 20th January 2021 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susheel (Post 13367390)
Telegram has been around for years. Also, it is more of a messaging platform line WhatsApp rather than something on the lines of Twitter. I think the biggest setback for the Trumptrash has been Trump's eviction from Twitter. I don't think they will have a platform as powerful as that.

Thanks.

shemp 23rd January 2021 07:40 AM

DDoS-Guard To Forfeit Internet Space Occupied by Parler

Quote:

Parler, the beleaguered social network advertised as a “free speech” alternative to Facebook and Twitter, has had a tough month. Apple and Google removed the Parler app from their stores, and Amazon blocked the platform from using its hosting services. Parler has since found a home in DDoS-Guard, a Russian digital infrastructure company. But now it appears DDoS-Guard is about to be relieved of more than two-thirds of the Internet address space the company leases to clients — including the Internet addresses currently occupied by Parler.
Quote:

The majority of DDoS-Guard’s employees are based in Russia, but the company is actually incorporated in two other places: As “Cognitive Cloud LLP” in Scotland, and as DDoS-Guard Corp. based in Belize. However, none of the company’s employees are listed as based in Belize, and DDoS-Guard makes no mention of the Latin American region in its map of global operations.

In studying the more than 11,000 Internet addresses assigned to those two companies, Guilmette found that approximately 66 percent of them were doled out to the Belize entity by LACNIC, the regional Internet registry for the Latin American and Caribbean regions.

Suspecting that DDoS-Guard incorporated in Belize on paper just to get huge swaths of IP addresses that are supposed to be given only to entities with a physical presence in the region, Guilmette filed a complaint with the Internet registry about his suspicions back in November.

Guilmette said LACNIC told him it would investigate, and that any adjudication on the matter could take up to three months. But earlier this week, LACNIC published a notice on its website that it intends to revoke 8,192 IPv4 addresses from DDoS-Guard — including the Internet address currently assigned to Parler[.]com.
Gee, too bad. Parler might have to look for another home again.

newyorkguy 23rd January 2021 08:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I know someone who is veddy hoppy, of course! A beeg zank you to donnie!

catsmate 23rd January 2021 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shemp (Post 13371378)
DDoS-Guard To Forfeit Internet Space Occupied by Parler

Gee, too bad. Parler might have to look for another home again.

Excellent. Shades of LeaveEU's misuse of domain registries.

SuburbanTurkey 17th February 2021 06:59 AM

Parler back up (sorta, many reports of problems accessing) with a new infrastructure provider.

Milo gets banned pretty right away after threatening to post Ben Shapiro's personal cell phone number

So much for freeze peach!

plague311 18th February 2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey (Post 13398641)
Parler back up (sorta, many reports of problems accessing) with a new infrastructure provider.

Milo gets banned pretty right away after threatening to post Ben Shapiro's personal cell phone number

So much for freeze peach!

They moved over to Epik for their website hosting, I know that much. Epik got an email from me canceling my service when I found out.

SuburbanTurkey 1st March 2021 06:06 AM

Nazis and bad IT security, name a more iconic duo.

Quote:

On Sunday night the WikiLeaks-style group Distributed Denial of Secrets is revealing what it calls calling “GabLeaks,” a collection of more than 70 gigabytes of Gab data representing more than 40 million posts. DDoSecrets says a hacktivist who self-identifies as "JaXpArO and My Little Anonymous Revival Project" siphoned that data out of Gab's backend databases in an effort to expose the platform's largely rightwing users. Those Gab patrons, whose numbers have swelled after Parler went offline, include large numbers of Qanon conspiracy theorists, white nationalists, and promoters of former president Donald Trump's election-stealing conspiracies that resulted in the January 6 riot on Capitol Hill.

DDoSecrets cofounder Emma Best says that the hacked data includes not only all of Gab's public posts and profiles—with the exception of any photos or videos uploaded to the site—but also private group and private individual account posts and messages, as well as user passwords and group passwords. "It contains pretty much everything on Gab, including user data and private posts, everything someone needs to run a nearly complete analysis on Gab users and content," Best wrote in a text message interview with WIRED. "It's another gold mine of research for people looking at militias, neo-Nazis, the far right, QAnon and everything surrounding January 6."
https://www.wired.com/story/gab-hack...ch-ddosecrets/

Hearing rumors that the fascists are migrating to a new platform at HoneyPot.biz ;)