International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Merged: What is Parler? / Parler gets owned (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348919)

William Parcher 31st December 2020 12:05 PM

What is Parler? / Parler gets owned

I'm seeing references to Parler but I don't know what it is. Seems like another new social media thing.

Thermal 31st December 2020 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Parcher (Post 13342882)
I'm seeing references to Parler but I don't know what it is. Seems like another new social media thing.

I gather it is an uncensored Facebook kind of thing. Kind of like the 4chan of social media. White supremacists took a fancy to it when FB gave them the boot. Parler means 'to talk' in French IIRC.

Cavemonster 31st December 2020 12:14 PM

A new social media space in reaction to what some on the right view as censorship by Facebook and Twitter.

It's meant to be a place of greater freedom.

Voat was a similar "anything goes" space. In that case, the wild west lack of rules made it a haven for the more toxic side of things, which lost them any more mainstream users who wandered over and got turned off, leaving the remaining discussion to get even more toxic.

I expect Parler will either experience a similar effect or they'll exercise some restrictions or moderation while arguing about how theirs are different.

Over on Reddit, the conservative subreddits tend to be both incredibly vocal about the evils of social media moderation as a violation of free speech. They also tend to be the most moderated spaces. r/conservative has about half of their threads limited to confirmed conservatives.

William Parcher 31st December 2020 12:37 PM

I didn't think it was something I'm interested in. I don't even do Facebook, so no thanks for this one. I was just curious. Uncensored can be really ugly.

Mojo 31st December 2020 12:45 PM

Let’s Parler Franglais c’est un book par le remarkable author Anglais Monsieur Miles Kington. Il a ete aussi le player de bass pour le beat combo populaire Instant Sunshine.

alfaniner 31st December 2020 01:37 PM

Now you've done it...

Hope you brought your Piece of Eight!

Trebuchet 31st December 2020 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavemonster (Post 13342889)
A new social media space in reaction to what some on the right view as censorship by Facebook and Twitter.

Voat was a similar "anything goes" space. In that case, the wild west lack of rules made it a haven for the more toxic side of things, which lost them any more mainstream users who wandered over and got turned off, leaving the remaining discussion to get even more toxic.

I expect Parler will either experience a similar effect or they'll exercise some restrictions or moderation while arguing about how theirs are different.

Over on Reddit, the conservative subreddits tend to be both incredibly vocal about the evils of social media moderation as a violation of free speech. They also tend to be the most moderated spaces. r/conservative has about half of their threads limited to confirmed conservatives.

You have the freedom to express any far right idiocy you like on Parler. The slightest hint of liberalism will get you banned right quick.

TJM 31st December 2020 08:21 PM

From the Nashville Bombing thread, some comments from the Parler braintrust:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B (Post 13339757)

I'm in awe of the towering intellect on display.

smartcooky 1st January 2021 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJM8125 (Post 13343218)

Oh, not to mention the extraordinary level of literacy!

"blue up the building"
"a escape goat"
"domino machine"

William Parcher 1st January 2021 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJM8125 (Post 13343218)

That sure isn't any mainstream chatting.

plague311 5th January 2021 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13343343)
Oh, not to mention the extraordinary level of literacy!

"blue up the building"
"a escape goat"
"domino machine"

I keep my escape goat in the garage behind the freezer. Still no one has found it.

alfaniner 5th January 2021 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 13347562)
I keep my escape goat in the garage behind the freezer. Still no one has found it.

The Escape GOAT, of course, is nothing other than The Amazing Randi.

(OK, maybe after Houdini...)

ahhell 5th January 2021 10:41 AM

Its a conservative facebook, even other conservatives are making fun of it.

plague311 6th January 2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaniner (Post 13347599)
The Escape GOAT, of course, is nothing other than The Amazing Randi.

(OK, maybe after Houdini...)

It took me 3 reads to figure this out. I like it! :D

alfaniner 6th January 2021 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 13349285)
It took me 3 reads to figure this out. I like it! :D

:thumbsup::D

Squeegee Beckenheim 10th January 2021 08:26 AM

This thread talks about why, given recent events, Parler is likely dead for good.

Darat 10th January 2021 08:40 AM

Yeah - William probably should ask the mods to edit the title to “What was Parler?” :D

Ron Obvious 10th January 2021 09:07 AM

"Escape Goat" I've heard a few times before, but what is a "Domino Machine"? I tried saying it out loud and didn't figure it out. Deux Ex Machina? What?

TJM 10th January 2021 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious (Post 13355445)
"Escape Goat" I've heard a few times before, but what is a "Domino Machine"? I tried saying it out loud and didn't figure it out. Deux Ex Machina? What?

Dominion vote counting machines, the ones which stole the election.

Ron Obvious 10th January 2021 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJM8125 (Post 13355530)
Dominion vote counting machines, the ones which stole the election.

Ah, duh! Thanks!

Wudang 11th January 2021 04:04 AM

For a moment I thought they meant Lotus Domino servers.

cow_cat 11th January 2021 05:17 AM

Parler is a sloppily hacked together, joke of a social-media site which has so many security flaws, this just happened.

TL;DR, the entire Parler database, including deleted posts (which weren't actually deleted, just removed from public view), images and their metadata (locations, IP address of uploader etc), account information, and even verified account information has been downloaded and stored in various places online. How do you get a Parler verified account? You upload a copy of the front and back of your driver's license and link it to your account.

I won't link to the online copies of Parler's content, but I don't suppose that it's too difficult to find, should you be curious. There might be a bottleneck on downloading the data, as quite a few law enforcement agencies are probably downloading the information also. If you're wondering why the FBI were so quickly and easily able to populate the no-fly list and take into custody certain people, this is probably part of the reason why.

Congratulations to all involved.

malbui 11th January 2021 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wudang (Post 13356492)
For a moment I thought they meant Lotus Domino servers.

Thanks for bringing on my PTSD.

shemp 11th January 2021 08:26 AM

Parler gets owned

1 Attachment(s)
https://twitter.com/mattsheffield/st...73748450918402

Quote:

This Parler user explains it quite well here. Because of yet more security flaws at Parler, it's now possible for all that "free speech" to be shared and archived with the world, even if the posters tried to erase their not-at-all innocent videos and GPS data.

In slightly more technical terms, it seems as though Parler never closed some of their developer-friendly security holes (sort of the programming equivalent of game cheat codes made by devs) and as a result, their anyone with the right knowledge could have admin access.

Parler never actually deleted anything its users posted. And, stupidly, they also kept it accessible to admin users.

This meant that anyone with admin access could still download it.

Once Parler's two factor authentication feature was disabled, because it was designed for developer convenience rather than security, anyone with the knowledge could become an administrator. And that's how Parler just got owned.

People have been downloading the raw videos, photos, and text posts by the gigabyte and archiving it for later public distribution.

All that perfect, totally harmless free speech will still be searchable, even now that Amazon locked out Parler from its servers.

I haven't confirmed this yet but it's possible that among the not-actually-deleted data might be the archived photos of the state identification cards that Parler invited users who wanted to be verified to upload.
Look forward to massive Wikileaks-type data dumps.

ponderingturtle 11th January 2021 08:29 AM

Truly taking the democratization of free speech seriously by letting anyone be an admin.

Wudang 11th January 2021 08:31 AM

Thanks cow_cat.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-b1785343.html

Quote:

‘There is nothing you can do to prevent what’s already happened. All you can do is prepare for the fallout’ a message from the North Central Florida Patriots Telegram chat reads.
As the saying goes: oh look it's the consequences of your actions.

Estimates seem to differ between 70 and 80 TB of data.

DuvalHMFIC 11th January 2021 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavemonster (Post 13342889)

I don't even think you can post on r/conservative until you give yourself flair showing off your political leanings. This makes it much easier for them to steer the narrative.

Jack by the hedge 11th January 2021 08:36 AM

Assuming this is real, but if not it would also work as an amazing prank, if one wanted to troll those charming consequence-free speech advocates into abandoning parler.

cow_cat 11th January 2021 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wudang (Post 13356711)
Thanks cow_cat.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-b1785343.html

As the saying goes: oh look it's the consequences of your actions.

Estimates seem to differ between 70 and 80 TB of data.

The people behind this "archiving" are the real heroes.

I am now rather glad I resisted my baser instincts to create a Parler account for the purposes of "trOllZing tEh maGaZ". Parler is now offline, and it looks like nobody is interested in hosting it or being involved in it anymore.

This is being discussed in a few places - here and here. I wonder if a merge is in order.

plague311 11th January 2021 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle (Post 13356708)
Truly taking the democratization of free speech seriously by letting anyone be an admin.

In their defense, they were really terrible at programming, network security, and data encryption, but if it helps, they also lost their services so fast I don't think they had a chance.

From what I've read in a few spots, it sounds like their 2FA and email verification provider stopped providing them the service. This meant accounts could be created without any registration process at all. Someone used that to figure out how to create an account with admin privileges (I still haven't figured that one out) and then scripted it to make a ton of admin accounts, which have the perms to download everything. They also never actually deleted posts that were "deleted" through the app, they just changed the visibility bit to false. Meaning nothing was ever really deleted and people "verified" their accounts using their state issued ID's. It's just terrible all around.

The right move would have been to just shut it off once you realized your services vendors were dropping you. They didn't, now they'll pay the price.

Wudang 11th January 2021 08:54 AM

It's worth reading the twitter feed from https://twitter.com/donk_enby

Python script to create users at https://gist.github.com/d0nk/7251444...9cc69987070e21

Safe-Keeper 11th January 2021 09:02 AM

So when you say data dump, do you mean only users' posts and perhaps direct messages, or is it email addresses and other confidential user information?

Edit: looking through the twitter account now, apparently it's even location data.

cow_cat 11th January 2021 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper (Post 13356753)
So when you say data dump, do you mean only users' posts and perhaps direct messages, or is it email addresses and other confidential user information?

Edit: looking through the twitter account now, apparently it's even location data.

I put this in another Parler-related thread earlier today, it's probably better off here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cow_cat (Post 13356525)
Parler is a sloppily hacked together, joke of a social-media site which has so many security flaws, this just happened.

TL;DR, the entire Parler database, including deleted posts (which weren't actually deleted, just removed from public view), images and their metadata (locations, IP address of uploader etc), account information, and even verified account information has been downloaded and stored in various places online. How do you get a Parler verified account? You upload a copy of the front and back of your driver's license and link it to your account.

I won't link to the online copies of Parler's content, but I don't suppose that it's too difficult to find, should you be curious. There might be a bottleneck on downloading the data, as quite a few law enforcement agencies are probably downloading the information also. If you're wondering why the FBI were so quickly and easily able to populate the no-fly list and take into custody certain people, this is probably part of the reason why.

Congratulations to all involved.

So it appears that A LOT of user registration data are now out there, even down to the location, IP Address and maybe even MAC address associated with logins and pictures.

Oops...

plague311 11th January 2021 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cow_cat (Post 13356760)
So it appears that A LOT of user registration data are now out there, even down to the location, IP Address and maybe even MAC address associated with logins and pictures.

Oops...

The MAC addresses might be tough unless Parler had it as part of the phone registration if you use the app. Network gateways discard layer 2 data as it's only really useful on a local network as far as routing goes.

The Great Zaganza 11th January 2021 09:23 AM

If I was a Conspiracy Nut, I might think that the FBI created Parler as a trap ...

cow_cat 11th January 2021 09:24 AM

I was wondering that while I was typing. I thought I saw something on a tweet earlier today mentioning MAC address information. I couldn't locate my source (and even if I could - it's twitter), so that's why I surrounded it with a "maybe". See - conditional language that completely absolves me of any wrongdoing, perceived or implied!

Even so, jpeg pictures tied to jpeg EXIF data tied to accounts tied to the front and back of driving licenses. Oops...

Safe-Keeper 11th January 2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 13356790)
If I was a Conspiracy Nut, I might think that the FBI created Parler as a trap ...

I'm not sure if that would even be such an outlandish CT. Not that I believe it in this case, but haven't they already done this to catch sexual predators, particularly those sharing images and videos of children?

Safe-Keeper 11th January 2021 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cow_cat (Post 13356525)

A "sloppily hacked together joke" seems to describe the entire alt-right and gravy SEAL movement at the moment.

Wudang 11th January 2021 09:29 AM

Quote:

Nah, it's a corrolary to Hanlon's Law "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".

Upchurch 11th January 2021 09:32 AM

Quote:

If I were the FBI and Parler was my trap, I would have kept the doors open as long as possible. Certainly until after the inauguration and at least to for a good period of time after to try to catch more terrorist plans in the works.

JoeMorgue 11th January 2021 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wudang (Post 13356801)
Nah, it's a corrolary to Hanlon's Law "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".

The problem is stupidity and malice become the same thing at a certain point.

plague311 11th January 2021 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cow_cat (Post 13356792)
Even so, jpeg pictures tied to jpeg EXIF data tied to accounts tied to the front and back of driving licenses. Oops...

Oh yeah, plenty of information to use that the MACs aren't needed at all.

If I'm understanding the thread on twitter correctly, I'm admittedly not as good with linux, and OSINT tool readouts as I should be, but it appears they're emulating it. It sounds like they're going to host the data, and I'm a bit curious if they'll do it in just a searchable format or emulate the app without any restrictions on what data is shown. Just show it all.

Segnosaur 11th January 2021 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 13356824)
Oh yeah, plenty of information to use that the MACs aren't needed at all.

If I'm understanding the thread on twitter correctly, I'm admittedly not as good with linux, and OSINT tool readouts as I should be, but it appears they're emulating it. It sounds like they're going to host the data, and I'm a bit curious if they'll do it in just a searchable format or emulate the app without any restrictions on what data is shown. Just show it all.

I wonder if they might want to be careful that they don't accidentally 'dox' someone who doesn't deserve it.

I recognize Parler was a "Wretched Hive of scum and villainy", and that anyone who participated in the rallies (either breaking into the capitol, or even attending the speeches) deserves to be exposed. But, there may have been people on it who were innocent (i.e. who didn't go to the rallies, who may have even signed up for the service before they realized who it was catering to) that may not deserve to have their data exposed.

Sherkeu 11th January 2021 09:57 AM

Weird thing about Parler:

I signed up to see what was in there and the next day I got a notification from twitter that my account there had an attempted access via invalid password. That might not seem too coincidental to some but I have not logged on to that twitter account for at least 8 years and had no notifications until joining Parler.

Deleted!!!

slyjoe 11th January 2021 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherkeu (Post 13356845)

I signed up to see what was in there and the next day I got a notification from twitter that my account there had an attempted access via invalid password. That might not seem too coincidental to some but I have not logged on to that twitter account for at least 8 years and had no notifications until joining Parler.

Deleted!!!

You wish. Parler didn't delete anything. There's a chance you may be part of the download.

Mader Levap 11th January 2021 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherkeu (Post 13356845)

Deleted!!!

Most likely bots trying to break into accounts on Twitter. There is a lot of people that use same password for many things. Considering trumpanzees aren't sharpest tool in the shed, it is quite likely many of them will use same login and password for both Parler and Twitter.

BTW that would strongly imply they have passwords as plaintext. Yay...

Squeegee Beckenheim 11th January 2021 10:07 AM

Wrong thread.

Guybrush Threepwood 11th January 2021 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slyjoe (Post 13356847)
You wish. Parler didn't delete anything. There's a chance you may be part of the download.

Yep, I could be too, I joined to follow one of our own wackadoodles who'd been kicked off Twitter, but she wasn't as entertaining without user feedback.

I never parlayed anything though so hopefully I'm safe from the men in black. :boggled:

Segnosaur 11th January 2021 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood (Post 13356862)
I never parlayed anything though so hopefully I'm safe from the men in black. :boggled:

What, you mean johnny cash was a Parler user?

slyjoe 11th January 2021 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood (Post 13356862)
Yep, I could be too, I joined to follow one of our own wackadoodles who'd been kicked off Twitter, but she wasn't as entertaining without user feedback.

You probably are if you don't use the same password on Parler as elsewhere. If you do, change your other passwords.