International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   White House Survivor (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321828)

dudalb 31st August 2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig4 (Post 12407888)
Seems obvious to me. The replacement is Lindsey Graham.

Nah, I don't think Graham is quite subserevant to Trump enough for Donnie.

jimbob 31st August 2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 12413064)
The White House Ethics Advisor has resigned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSSBB (Post 12413067)
His presence was undetectable anyway.

That story is from November

Trebuchet 31st August 2018 01:16 PM

And then there's this guy, who's not exactly White House but a True Trumper nonetheless:
Quote:

In one email from 2015, Smith responded to a group dinner invitation whose host said his home would be “judenfrei,” a German word used by the Nazis during World War II to describe territory that had been “cleansed” of Jews during the Holocaust.

“They don’t call it Freitag for nothing,” Smith replied, using the German word for “Friday,” according to the Atlantic. “I was planning to hit the bar during the dinner hours and talk to people like Matt Parrot, etc.,” Smith added, a reference to the former spokesman for the neo-Nazi Traditionalist Worker Party.

Trebuchet 31st August 2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 12413091)
That story is from November

Well, crappe. It popped up somewhere for me, perhaps he's just now actually going? Dunno.

dudalb 31st August 2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 12413183)
And then there's this guy, who's not exactly White House but a True Trumper nonetheless:

The Best People.......

ANd the guy being named Ian Smith is just too appropriate......If you remember the history of Rhodesia/Zimbabwe

Trebuchet 31st August 2018 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 12413192)
The Best People.......

ANd the guy being named Ian Smith is just too appropriate......If you remember the history of Rhodesia/Zimbabwe

Yup, I intended to mention that but forgot.

Firestone 1st September 2018 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 12413091)
That story is from November

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 12413191)
Well, crappe. It popped up somewhere for me, perhaps he's just now actually going? Dunno.

It's another one than the guy from November.

"White House ethics lawyer Stefan Passantino is leaving the Trump administration, a senior White House official told NBC News on Thursday."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...ration-n905031


From the same article: "Passantino — who had been in charge of making sure White House officials complied with government ethics rules"

So yeah:
Quote:

Originally Posted by LSSBB (Post 12413067)
His presence was undetectable anyway.


The Great Zaganza 1st September 2018 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSSBB (Post 12413067)
His presence was undetectable anyway.

...in the same way you don't notice a dam until it bursts...

Giordano 1st September 2018 01:27 PM

I have often wondered why Sessions has resisted Trump's many insults and demands by continuing to recluse himself from the special investigation and defending, however weakly, the concept of a independent Justice Department. Does Sessions actually possess some vestige of a soul, some remnants of morality after all? It seemed so implausible. But now I think I got it! Despite his denials under oath, Sessions was deeply involved in the collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia and realizes that he would be opening himself up to very serious charges of obstructing justice if he does anything to head off the investigation. And, given the latest from Papadopoulos, Session must know that the evidence of his role in the Russian connection is out there and that he has to tread very softly. Better to take no action and have your genitals, character, and intelligence repeatedly demeaned by the POTUS than to give in to Trump and to wake up one morning charged with an easily proven felony.

Trebuchet 1st September 2018 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestone (Post 12413472)
It's another one than the guy from November.

"White House ethics lawyer Stefan Passantino is leaving the Trump administration, a senior White House official told NBC News on Thursday."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...ration-n905031


From the same article: "Passantino — who had been in charge of making sure White House officials complied with government ethics rules"

So yeah:

Thanks, I was suspecting that but hadn't gotten around to looking it up yet.

Craig4 1st September 2018 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 12413079)
Nah, I don't think Graham is quite subserevant to Trump enough for Donnie.

The Senate isn't as crazy as the House. The nominee will be DOA if it's someone who will wave their hand and shutdown the Russia investigation. A complete sycophant is probably off the table.

d4m10n 1st September 2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig4 (Post 12413992)
The Senate isn't as crazy as the House. The nominee will be DOA if it's someone who will wave their hand and shutdown the Russia investigation. A complete sycophant is probably off the table.

I've never before wanted so badly for someone named Craig to be correct.

Tsukasa Buddha 17th September 2018 03:06 PM

Word has been that Mattis may be next, and he recently has been standing up to Russia.

Norman Alexander 17th September 2018 08:03 PM

Maybe Mattis has been smoked out as Lodestar?

d4m10n 17th September 2018 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 12433059)
Maybe Mattis has been smoked out as Lodestar?

One can only hope.

Crossbow 19th September 2018 08:41 AM

Well, ...

Once again, Jeff Sessions has his head back on the Trump chopping block:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.24a6606832ec

‘I don’t have an attorney general’: Trump escalates his attacks on Jeff Sessions

President Trump escalated his attacks on Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Tuesday, offering a scathing assessment of his performance on the job and in his confirmation hearing.

“I don’t have an attorney general. It’s very sad,” Trump said in an interview with Hill.TV, in which he also said the former senator from Alabama came off as “mixed up and confused” when he appeared before the Senate Judiciary Committee in January 2017.

...

“I’m disappointed in the attorney general for many reasons, and you understand that,” he told reporters.

In the interview, Trump suggested he appointed Sessions out of blind loyalty.

“I’m so sad over Jeff Sessions because he came to me,” Trump said. “He was the first senator that endorsed me. And he wanted to be attorney general, and I didn’t see it.”

...

Trump did not offer a firm answer when asked about Sessions’s future by Hill.TV.

“We’ll see what happens,” he said. “A lot of people have asked me to do that. And I guess I study history, and I say I just want to leave things alone, but it was very unfair what he did.”

“We’ll see how it goes with Jeff,” Trump added. “I’m very disappointed in Jeff. Very disappointed.”

varwoche 19th September 2018 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crossbow (Post 12434772)
<snip for brevity>

Three words that Trump spoke here are particularly amusing...


Quote:

Originally Posted by Trump
I study history


The Great Zaganza 19th September 2018 10:14 AM

If a job made me as sad as Trump says he always is, I would quit.

Darat 19th September 2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crossbow (Post 12434772)
Well, ...

Once again, Jeff Sessions has his head back on the Trump chopping block:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.24a6606832ec

‘I don’t have an attorney general’: Trump escalates his attacks on Jeff Sessions

President Trump escalated his attacks on Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Tuesday, offering a scathing assessment of his performance on the job and in his confirmation hearing.

“I don’t have an attorney general. It’s very sad,” Trump said in an interview with Hill.TV, in which he also said the former senator from Alabama came off as “mixed up and confused” when he appeared before the Senate Judiciary Committee in January 2017.

...

“I’m disappointed in the attorney general for many reasons, and you understand that,” he told reporters.

In the interview, Trump suggested he appointed Sessions out of blind loyalty.

“I’m so sad over Jeff Sessions because he came to me,” Trump said. “He was the first senator that endorsed me. And he wanted to be attorney general, and I didn’t see it.”

...

Trump did not offer a firm answer when asked about Sessions’s future by Hill.TV.

“We’ll see what happens,” he said. “A lot of people have asked me to do that. And I guess I study history, and I say I just want to leave things alone, but it was very unfair what he did.”

“We’ll see how it goes with Jeff,” Trump added. “I’m very disappointed in Jeff. Very disappointed.”

But he only employs the best people....

LSSBB 19th September 2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12434873)
If a job made me as sad as Trump says he always is, I would quit.

It's not the job. The world never meets a narcissist's expectations.

Craig4 19th September 2018 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 12433059)
Maybe Mattis has been smoked out as Lodestar?

Mattis breaks his long media silence to write an op ed saying he is undermining the president? That seems hardly likely. In a career of being apolitical and working as SECDEF to keep the military apolitical that would be an odd move.

The author of that op ed works in communications. It's hard to imagine a career national security professional seeing that letter as a good idea. It diminishes the US further than the sitting president already has.

The Great Zaganza 21st September 2018 10:50 PM

Oddly enough, with both Sessions and Rosenstein being on Trump's purge list, it seems that both their jobs are more secure than if only one of them was in the crosshairs: Trump would have to replace both at the same time, making it an ugly process even if Republicans keep the House - which they won't.
Trump might be well advised to stick to his current DoJ heads.

Norman Alexander 23rd September 2018 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig4 (Post 12435365)
Mattis breaks his long media silence to write an op ed saying he is undermining the president? That seems hardly likely. In a career of being apolitical and working as SECDEF to keep the military apolitical that would be an odd move.

The author of that op ed works in communications. It's hard to imagine a career national security professional seeing that letter as a good idea. It diminishes the US further than the sitting president already has.

I agree. Lodestar is not one of the career politicians. They just don't work like that. I was just being snide about Mattis's steadying even-keeled approach and Trump's erratic and ultra-paranoiac responses to Lodestar.

Norman Alexander 23rd September 2018 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12437881)
Oddly enough, with both Sessions and Rosenstein being on Trump's purge list, it seems that both their jobs are more secure than if only one of them was in the crosshairs: Trump would have to replace both at the same time, making it an ugly process even if Republicans keep the House - which they won't.
Trump might be well advised to stick to his current DoJ heads.

Which means they will be fired probably after the mid-terms because they "failed to meet expectations".

Craig4 23rd September 2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 12439155)
Which means they will be fired probably after the mid-terms because they "failed to meet expectations".

Their fate likely hinges on the make-up of the Senate. A 50-50 split or a 51-49 favoring dems and the two stay.

alfaniner 24th September 2018 07:54 AM

It's Rosenstein. Just resigned as a pre-emptive strike to getting fired.

d4m10n 24th September 2018 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaniner (Post 12440108)
It's Rosenstein. Just resigned as a pre-emptive strike to getting fired.

This is some seriously bad news, quite possibly the beginning of the end of the independent investigation into election tampering.

Firestone 24th September 2018 08:11 AM

Fired or resigned?

"It was not immediately clear whether he expected to be fired by Mr. Trump or whether he planned to resign. Justice Department officials said on Monday morning that he was on his way to the White House expecting to be fired. But over the weekend, Mr. Rosenstein called a White House official and said he was considering quitting, and a person close to the White House said he was resigning."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/24/u...ent-trump.html

Stacko 24th September 2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestone (Post 12440134)
Fired or resigned?

"It was not immediately clear whether he expected to be fired by Mr. Trump or whether he planned to resign. Justice Department officials said on Monday morning that he was on his way to the White House expecting to be fired. But over the weekend, Mr. Rosenstein called a White House official and said he was considering quitting, and a person close to the White House said he was resigning."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/24/u...ent-trump.html

It's the same thing that happened with Shulkin. White house leaks he resigned so they can use the vacancies act even though they actually fired him.

pgwenthold 24th September 2018 08:18 AM

Does "I ******* quit this nonsense" constitute a "verbal resignation"?

The Great Zaganza 24th September 2018 08:19 AM

In the interim, Noel Francisco, Solicitor general, would take over and might actual try to wrap up the Mueller probe before the Elections.

alfaniner 24th September 2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestone (Post 12440134)
Fired or resigned?

That's still an open question. Wow.

Firestone 24th September 2018 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaniner (Post 12440222)
That's still an open question. Wow.

And maybe neither!

"NEWS- per source familiar, rod rosenstein is still the deputy attorney general as of right now.

he had a previously scheduled meeting at the WH at 12p, which he is at right now.

the axios report that he verbally resigned is false, though there was a conversation over the wknd."

https://twitter.com/politiCOHEN_/sta...56231123288066

Stacko 24th September 2018 09:09 AM

I get the impression that neither the White House nor Rosenstein wants him to be in his current position. Rosenstein wants to be fired but the white house wants him to resign so they're stuck with each other.

Delphic Oracle 24th September 2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestone (Post 12440227)
And maybe neither!

"NEWS- per source familiar, rod rosenstein is still the deputy attorney general as of right now.

he had a previously scheduled meeting at the WH at 12p, which he is at right now.

the axios report that he verbally resigned is false, though there was a conversation over the wknd."

https://twitter.com/politiCOHEN_/sta...56231123288066

Jonathon Swan is now saying Rosenstein has offered his resignation to Kelly.

Also worth noting Jonathon Swan is getting pummeled quite thoroughly for jumping out (and walking back) on this.

The Great Zaganza 24th September 2018 09:14 AM

Trump doesn't have the balls to fire anyone, and someone on the level of Rosenstein doesn't get to get fired by only the Chief of Staff.
Rosenstein might be save after all.

Stacko 24th September 2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12440243)
Trump doesn't have the balls to fire anyone, and someone on the level of Rosenstein doesn't get to get fired by the only Chief of Staff.
Rosenstein might be save after all.

If he doesn't resign, they can't use the vacancies act to fill his position with their own choice. They'd have to have his replacement approved by congress and that would require a guarantee that he wouldn't just fire Mueller as a hatchet man.

Squeegee Beckenheim 24th September 2018 09:24 AM

FWIW, there's a spreadsheet here of every departure from the Trump administration. 387 to date.

Delphic Oracle 24th September 2018 09:32 AM

twitter.com/dylanmatt/status/1044259852334374912

Quote:

11:00AM - Rod Rosenstein to be fired

11:15AM - actually Rosenstein to resign so as to avoid firing

11:45AM - recalculating

12:15pm - actually Rosenstein is not fired at all

1:00pm - Sessions is fired, Rosenstein promoted to AG and will raise Sessions' children as his own
Brilliant summary of the circus...

The Great Zaganza 24th September 2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim (Post 12440265)
FWIW, there's a spreadsheet here of every departure from the Trump administration. 387 to date.

That's perfectly normal ...
... for a sinking ship.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-22, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.