International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Donald Trump is Selfish, Stupid, and Wrong (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337299)

theprestige 2nd July 2019 01:46 PM

Donald Trump is Selfish, Stupid, and Wrong

Trump tweets:

---

Big 4th of July in D.C. “Salute to America.” The Pentagon & our great Military Leaders are thrilled to be doing this & showing to the American people, among other things, the strongest and most advanced Military anywhere in the World. Incredible Flyovers & biggest ever Fireworks!

---

I served in the Army, and let me tell you, nothing sucks like being "voluntold" to participate in ceremonial activities on a holiday weekend. If Trump really wanted to honor and respect the troops, he'd make sure that not a single soldier, sailor, airman, or marine was on duty for any reason other than to safeguard the nation. A better president would ensure that Veterans Day and the 4th of July were official "no parades, no ceremonies" days for the armed services.

I feel terrible for the poor tank crews who have to put on a stupid show for the President, instead of spending the weekend in shorts and t-shirts with their families, cooking hotdogs and drinking beer.

I don't feel as bad for the fighter jocks, who I understand to be the type of chad who thinks going Top Gun *is* the holiday. But still.

Also, given the recent incidents involving US naval vessels, I'm not sure "most advanced and strongest" is the right look at the moment. The President should be cleaning house before inviting guests over to see it.

JoeMorgue 2nd July 2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12743347)
Trump tweets:

---

Big 4th of July in D.C. “Salute to America.” The Pentagon & our great Military Leaders are thrilled to be doing this & showing to the American people, among other things, the strongest and most advanced Military anywhere in the World. Incredible Flyovers & biggest ever Fireworks!

---

I served in the Army, and let me tell you, nothing sucks like being "voluntold" to participate in ceremonial activities on a holiday weekend.

Seconded. I can personally guaranteed that within a rounding error precisely zero members of the armed forced who haven't already volunteered for ceremonial / Color Guard type positions wants to spend July 4th standing in the dress uniform in front of a bunch of gawking tourists.

Norman Alexander 2nd July 2019 01:52 PM

Trump doesn't give a single stuff about those who serve in the military. Not one moment's thought. This "parade" is all about him and his own popularity polling. It is totally expected that when the "parade" is done, his speech will be something along the lines of: "See what a great parade that was? Wasn't that great? Wasn't that yuge? No other president but me has ever done that. Crooked Hillary would never have done that. The Dems tried to stop that. But me, President Trump, your best president ever according to some, brought you this wonderful parade. So vote for me."

The Great Zaganza 2nd July 2019 01:57 PM

I think that Trump believes on some level that being seen with the troops will scare investigators off.

wareyin 2nd July 2019 02:02 PM

I can't believe I'm typing this, but...I agree with theprestige about Trump.

Venom 2nd July 2019 02:05 PM

That is pretty selfish of him.

William Parcher 2nd July 2019 02:11 PM

I want to see our weapons on parade. The military families will be extra proud.

Got a son or daughter in that parade? This could be your best 4th ever.

Skeptic Ginger 2nd July 2019 02:17 PM

Why did you start a new thread for this?

Ask a mod to change the title to Trump's 4th of July military 'event' is ignorant and a waste of money...

Or something like that.

Minoosh 2nd July 2019 02:22 PM

If it further erodes his support from the military rank and file, it's not all bad.

Brainache 2nd July 2019 03:37 PM

Speaking of eroding support, does anyone else think it would be funny if one of these tanks manages to burst a water main and flood the mall?

theprestige 2nd July 2019 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainache (Post 12743431)
Speaking of eroding support, does anyone else think it would be funny if one of these tanks manages to burst a water main and flood the mall?

Not me. People have enough problems in their lives, without having to deal with a broken water main and major flooding.

Worsening other people's lives for one's own entertainment is a bad behavior I'm calling out in this thread.

wareyin 2nd July 2019 03:49 PM

I can't help but notice that if the subject is children in cages, we can't say that's a bad thing. But adult soldiers missing out on family time for the duration of a parade? Stupid, selfish and wrong. Interesting juxtaposition.

theprestige 2nd July 2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 12743439)
I can't help but notice that if the subject is children in cages, we can't say that's a bad thing. But adult soldiers missing out on family time for the duration of a parade? Stupid, selfish and wrong. Interesting juxtaposition.

It depends on the nature of the cages, and the reason for them. Here I've articulated not only what I think is wrong, but also why.

Please take your complaints about other threads back to those threads where they belong. And then become the change you want to see in the world.

Brainache 2nd July 2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12743437)
Not me. People have enough problems in their lives, without having to deal with a broken water main and major flooding.

Worsening other people's lives for one's own entertainment is a bad behavior I'm calling out in this thread.

I'm not saying that the tank drivers should deliberately break the water pipes that supply the reflecting pool, or whatever. I'm just saying that if this display of Trump's wrongness, selfishness and stupidity leads to a relatively harmless spectacular public failure, it would be funny.

I'm not talking about a scenario where a tank bursts a gas main then a jet fighter crashes into it causing a massive fireball that incinerates thousands of holiday makers on July 4. That wouldn't be funny at all.

wareyin 2nd July 2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12743443)
It depends on the nature of the cages, and the reason for them. Here I've articulated not only what I think is wrong, but also why.

Please take your complaints about other threads back to those threads where they belong. And then become the change you want to see in the world.

I'm sorry you think a comment contrasting levels of indifference is a complaint. I assure you that it was merely pointing out the differences.

Please, don't let me get in your way of pointing out how selfish, stupid and wrong Trump is though. Seriously, that's a refreshing viewpoint that I didn't think some were capable of ever reaching.

theprestige 2nd July 2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainache (Post 12743447)
I'm not saying that the tank drivers should deliberately break the water pipes that supply the reflecting pool, or whatever. I'm just saying that if this display of Trump's wrongness, selfishness and stupidity leads to a relatively harmless spectacular public failure, it would be funny.

I'm not talking about a scenario where a tank bursts a gas main then a jet fighter crashes into it causing a massive fireball that incinerates thousands of holiday makers on July 4. That wouldn't be funny at all.

In my experience, burst water mains are never funny or harmless to the people affected by them.

Armitage72 2nd July 2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Parcher (Post 12743370)

The last I saw, it wasn't even going to be a parade, due to the potential infrastructure damage. A handful of vehicles and their crews will be sitting around on display like museum exhibits.

theprestige 2nd July 2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armitage72 (Post 12743451)
The last I saw, it wasn't even going to be a parade, due to the potential infrastructure damage. A handful of vehicles and their crews will be sitting around on display like museum exhibits.

Typical airshow stuff, then.

Armitage72 2nd July 2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12743456)
Typical airshow stuff, then.

Link.

Quote:

A small number of M1 Abrams tanks and other armored vehicles will participate in President Donald Trump's July Fourth celebrations in Washington on Thursday, US defense officials have confirmed to CNN.
However, they will not parade down Pennsylvania Avenue due to the need to protect roads and bridges.
A US defense official said that the current plan is to have a very small number of armored vehicles participate as part of a "static display" at the event on the National Mall. The vehicles will not be moving thereby reducing the chance of damaging local infrastructure. The number of vehicles will be very small with the current plan to have two M1 Abrams tanks, two Bradley fighting vehicles and an armored M88 Recovery Vehicle, along with an "appropriate" number of accompanying personnel.

William Parcher 2nd July 2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainache (Post 12743447)

Funny if the tank driver gets in big trouble for reckless driving around national monuments?

William Parcher 2nd July 2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Oh. I guess that makes sense. I thought I could watch on TV and see all the stuff go by.

Families will still be very proud if their sons or daughters are on camera at the exhibit.

applecorped 2nd July 2019 04:41 PM

elections have consequences

lol

PhantomWolf 2nd July 2019 04:57 PM

You'd think that someone that seems to get upset when people suggest that he is wanting to be a Dictator, would stop doing things that make him look like he wants to be a Dictator.

Ladewig 2nd July 2019 05:09 PM

OK. The White House says there will be no charge for the tickets to the special VIP section at the event. But. The White House has also not yet announced how these no-cost tickets will be distributed. I have a hunch that President Trump is going to make sure all the tickets end up in the hands of military families in which the active-duty heads of the household are not able to be with their families.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to loosen my belt so that monkeys can fly out of my ass.

ETA
Not a month goes by that we don’t see something adding to the evidence that President Trump does not hold the perspective that the president should serve the country but rather holds the perspective that the country should serve the president.

Oh, and serve means to fawn over his every word and praise his every deed.

Stacyhs 2nd July 2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 12743362)
I can't believe I'm typing this, but...I agree with theprestige about Trump.

You're not alone. Still, quite the shocker, no?

Stacyhs 2nd July 2019 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Parcher (Post 12743462)
Oh. I guess that makes sense. I thought I could watch on TV and see all the stuff go by.

You mean while you get to be home celebrating with your family and/or friends?

Quote:

Families will still be very proud if their sons or daughters are on camera at the exhibit.
They'd probably rather their sons and daughters had been able to be home with their families and/or friends.

I know where my veteran father, veteran sister, and veteran husband would rather have been.

Foolmewunz 2nd July 2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Parcher (Post 12743370)

Not. Sure. If. Serious.

Myriad 2nd July 2019 05:43 PM

What portion of military personnel stationed stateside are normally given leave on holiday weekends? That's not a rhetorical question; I actually have no idea. The ones on duty or in training might as well be marching in a parade as marching in drills (or hanging around) at a base. (Unless it's just like an 8 to 5 with evenings, weekends, and holidays off. But it doesn't work that way for enlisted soldiers, does it?)

Stacyhs 2nd July 2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myriad (Post 12743510)
What portion of military personnel stationed stateside are normally given leave on holiday weekends? That's not a rhetorical question; I actually have no idea. The ones on duty or in training might as well be marching in a parade as marching in drills (or hanging around) at a base. (Unless it's just like an 8 to 5 with evenings, weekends, and holidays off. But it doesn't work that way for enlisted soldiers, does it?)

They get off quite a few. Here ya go:

https://militarybenefits.info/federa...ning-holidays/

Matthew Ellard 2nd July 2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

I feel terrible for the poor tank crews who have to put on a stupid show for the President,

President Donald Trump has vowed that "brand new Sherman tanks" will be on display this July 4th in Washington, D.C.
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...te-us-military

I wonder if Trump will send those brand new Shermans into Iran?

alfaniner 2nd July 2019 08:18 PM

I keep having visions of Will Smith kicking and yelling at the alien on the ground in Independence Day -- "Why'd you have to ruin my holiday? I coulda been at a barbecue!!"

I don't doubt that someone will photoshop The PDJT into that very scene.

shemp 2nd July 2019 08:20 PM

Trump is like Putin without brains.

Norman Alexander 2nd July 2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard (Post 12743540)
President Donald Trump has vowed that "brand new Sherman tanks" will be on display this July 4th in Washington, D.C.
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...te-us-military

I wonder if Trump will send those brand new Shermans into Iran?

They would be more deadly if they were simply dropped on Iran. And cheaper than most guided weapons.

BobTheCoward 2nd July 2019 08:56 PM

Quote:

I can't speak for every situation, but you do have nights and weekends free unless on a training mission (which isn't all the time because it takes time to coordinate those), or you are on a duty day. That is 24 hours you are on "duty" and you are on a rotation of those with a few other sections (like a doctor). The rest is 9 to 5.

Craig4 2nd July 2019 10:32 PM

These military parades the stupid bitch is so enamored of are signs of weakness. France needs to remind the world that it's a major power. China, North Korea and Russia have these parades to intimidate internal and external audiences. As the lone remaining superpower, we just are. We don't have parades. When we want to world to notice our military might, we have better ways that parades to demonstrate it.

Venom 2nd July 2019 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig4 (Post 12743680)
These military parades the stupid bitch is so enamored of are signs of weakness. France needs to remind the world that it's a major power. China, North Korea and Russia have these parades to intimidate internal and external audiences. As the lone remaining superpower, we just are. We don't have parades. When we want to world to notice our military might, we have better ways that parades to demonstrate it.

What's a superpower?

dann 2nd July 2019 11:50 PM

They will probably make sure that all the soldiers marching past him will only have blanks. Trump wouldn't be the only president to be assassinated at a parade, but he would be the first U.S. Amerian president.
It must have caused some resentment among all the other U.S. navy personnel in Japan that only those of the USS John S. McCain got the day off. So maybe the US Navy should fly them in for the 4th of July ...

Craig4 3rd July 2019 05:40 AM

Quote:

Watch standers, security forces, air traffic controllers, fire fighters, medical personnel, those types have to work holidays. Most people though get the day off.

Horatius 3rd July 2019 05:47 AM

Quote:

So, typical Trump. Over promise and under perform.

Maybe he'll make up for it by plating all the tanks in gold. Look at the Quality!

Craig4 3rd July 2019 05:49 AM

Quote:

Trump tweets:

---

I don't feel as bad for the fighter jocks, who I understand to be the type of chad who thinks going Top Gun *is* the holiday. But still.

I feel bad for the fighter "jocks" and the dozens and dozens of people who have to work to generate the aircraft, launch and recover them. The Air Force One fly over is particularly egregious. Have you any idea the number of people required to launch and recover a 747?

I'm not sure the point of Air Force One flyover, because you can watch large passenger aircraft take off every few minutes right across the river at Regan National Airport.