International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Social Issues & Current Events (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Ariel slammed for being a mermaid while black (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337498)

Safe-Keeper 10th July 2019 11:23 PM

Ariel slammed for being a mermaid while black

So apparently Disney is casting a black woman as Ariel in the upcoming live action remake of The Little Mermaid. This has racists triggered because apparently it's fairytale canon that she's Caucasian or something. Discuss.

cullennz 10th July 2019 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper (Post 12751611)
So apparently Disney is casting a black woman as Ariel in the upcoming live action remake of The Little Mermaid. This has racists triggered because apparently it's fairytale canon that she's Caucasian or something. Discuss.

Actually posting a link to an example of what you are claiming people are doing is usually the done thing in these types of situations......

The Great Zaganza 10th July 2019 11:33 PM

Merpeople cast in movies have overwhelmingly been of the kind with human upper- fish lower-body half.
That's pretty racist, given the large percentage of Merpeople with fish heads and human legs.
Disney should reflect the actual population, not just some outdated idealization.

cullennz 10th July 2019 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12751616)
Merpeople cast in movies have overwhelmingly been of the kind with human upper- fish lower-body half.
That's pretty racist, given the large percentage of Merpeople with fish heads and human legs.
Disney should reflect the actual population, not just some outdated idealization.

Makes you wonder how many Merpeople have lost out on the role because non actual merpeople have been given them.

arthwollipot 10th July 2019 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cullennz (Post 12751613)
Actually posting a link to an example of what you are claiming people are doing is usually the done thing in these types of situations......

Seriously, it's all over the internet. It's not hard to find examples.

bluesjnr 10th July 2019 11:42 PM

This smacks of tokenism.

cullennz 11th July 2019 12:00 AM

I see two hash tags reported and when I browse #notmyariel it seems to be pretty much mostly loads of people slagging some other people that I can't see hardly any posts of saying it's bad

cullennz 11th July 2019 12:12 AM

This seems to match my impression

Never seen this site before though, so forgive me if I am agreeing with some weird far right thing

Edit: Help if I put link in

https://reason.com/2019/07/09/ariel-...-halle-bailey/

Venom 11th July 2019 12:24 AM

She isn't Caucasian, but Western European.

I see pandering and I don't like it. Sure the naysayers can make this about how grown men are making too big a deal of an early 90s cartoon, but at its root it's the tokenism that bothers me.

There was a black princess introduced in 2008 or so, and they could just as easily introduce a story of a black mermaid, perhaps from another ocean.

cullennz 11th July 2019 12:30 AM

Wouldn't surprise me if Disney created the fake outrage for publicity and film promotion

Norman Alexander 11th July 2019 12:35 AM

Why are isn’t she silver like any other fish?

Safe-Keeper 11th July 2019 12:36 AM

Been busy with wedding preparations.here ya go.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ind...-8987766%3famp

Ziggurat 11th July 2019 12:43 AM

I’m offended that Disney keeps making live action remakes instead of developing good new material.

The Great Zaganza 11th July 2019 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggurat (Post 12751655)
I’m offended that Disney keeps making live action remakes instead of developing good new material.

:thumbsup:

They dropped the most important character in the Aladdin remake.

Safe-Keeper 11th July 2019 12:58 AM

^^I'm with Ziggurat, of course. We live in the age of lazy sequels and remakes. It's getting boring.

Mumbles 11th July 2019 01:12 AM

Saw it - in the form of random people on Twitter. The real amusing part is when people tried to "prove scientifically" that Ariel couldn't be black.

The idea was that since sunlight can'g get through to the bottom of the ocean, there'd be no need for mermaids to develop any melanin. A great example of completely misunderstanding evolution, and trying to bash it into a story of a freaking mermaid whose best friend is a singing lobster with an accent.

uke2se 11th July 2019 01:21 AM

Why can't Ariel be a mythological creature played by a black actress? Why is that more pandering than if she was played by a white actress?

Puppycow 11th July 2019 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesjnr (Post 12751624)
This smacks of tokenism.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom (Post 12751642)
She isn't Caucasian, but Western European.

I see pandering and I don't like it. Sure the naysayers can make this about how grown men are making too big a deal of an early 90s cartoon, but at its root it's the tokenism that bothers me.

There was a black princess introduced in 2008 or so, and they could just as easily introduce a story of a black mermaid, perhaps from another ocean.

If she's the main protagonist, how exactly is this tokenism?

Tokenism would be like, another minor character is black.

zooterkin 11th July 2019 01:37 AM

I have no problem with the skin colour, but isn’t 52-year-old Halle Berry a little long in the tooth to be playing 16-year-old Ariel?

(15 in the original, 16 in the Disney cartoon version.)

arthwollipot 11th July 2019 01:39 AM

She's 16 in fish years.

uke2se 11th July 2019 01:40 AM

She's also not Halle Berry :D

zooterkin 11th July 2019 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uke2se (Post 12751682)
She's also not Halle Berry :D

That would explain so much. That and the fact I’ve yet to ingest caffeine this morning.

:D

smartcooky 11th July 2019 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumbles (Post 12751663)
Saw it - in the form of random people on Twitter. The real amusing part is when people tried to "prove scientifically" that Ariel couldn't be black.

The idea was that since sunlight can'g get through to the bottom of the ocean, there'd be no need for mermaids to develop any melanin. A great example of completely misunderstanding evolution, and trying to bash it into a story of a freaking mermaid whose best friend is a singing lobster with an accent.

Of course this the reason why moray eels are white...... oh, hang on!

BobTheCoward 11th July 2019 04:50 AM

There are a few wrinkles. It is a Danish story, but there are black Danish people. The movie is clearly not set in Danish waters (a Jamaican crab and the sea creatures there).

Shrug

Cheetah 11th July 2019 05:06 AM

Just another example of a US made movie playing it loose with the historical facts.
Why are people surprised? Happens all time after time. Look at 'Robert the Bruce'.

3point14 11th July 2019 05:13 AM

This is a big old joke, isn't it? There can't be any rel people in the world that worry about what colour a half woman, half fish, fictional creature is?

Stop the world. I wanna get off.

Mumbles 11th July 2019 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheetah (Post 12751813)
Just another example of a US made movie playing it loose with the historical facts.

I mean, Hallie Bailey doesn't even have a giant fish tail for the lower half of her body!

In any case it was mostly a lesser version of the same people that howled over "female Ghostbusters", complete with claims that Disney had ruined their childhood and other such nonsense. From what I saw (yes, anecdotes), they were overwhelmed both by people just rubbing their faces in it, and people pointing out that Disney's version was a massive deviation from the original story anyway.

SuburbanTurkey 11th July 2019 05:25 AM

Disney already outed themselves as race traitors when they had Emma Watson, a brit, play Belle in the Beauty in the Beast cashgrab remake. ERASING FRENCH CULTURE!!!1!

/s

Disney is probably grateful for this "controversy", because nothing about these uninspired live-action remakes of Disney classics is at all interesting.

Dave Rogers 11th July 2019 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumbles (Post 12751832)
In any case it was mostly a lesser version of the same people that howled over "female Ghostbusters", [...]

Now there's a thought; what if they made the character of "The Little Mermaid" male? Never mind racism and sexism, there'd be a storm of protest from lexicographers alone*.

Dave

* Which, presumably, many of them are.

3point14 11th July 2019 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumbles (Post 12751832)
I mean, Hallie Bailey doesn't even have a giant fish tail for the lower half of her body!

That's a bang on point. The original had a giant fish tail. Any actress considered for the part must likewise have a giant fish tail. And be able to breathe underwater. And be 2D.

ponderingturtle 11th July 2019 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumbles (Post 12751663)

I want her to be black and white like a killer whale! Violent Sea Panda FTW!

Though seriously Lizzo would make a far better Ursala than Melissa McCarthy.

JoeMorgue 11th July 2019 05:44 AM

So I have a question.

Has anyone met an actual human being in the actual real world who has an issue with this? Or just the standard peanut gallery of online comments, random Twitter accounts that openly admit they are trolling, and television talking heads reporting on a "controversy" that doesn't exist to stir their tribes up?

Ranb 11th July 2019 05:46 AM

I wonder if she will get red hair to go along with her tail and seashells? That would be an interesting combo.

Ranb

SuburbanTurkey 11th July 2019 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 12751850)
So I have a question.

Has anyone met an actual human being in the actual real world who has an issue with this? Or just the standard peanut gallery of online comments, random Twitter accounts that openly admit they are trolling, and television talking heads reporting on a "controversy" that doesn't exist to stir their tribes up?

This is a nonissue for anyone but the insane twitter crowd. But it only takes one.

This is more red meat for the "cultural genocide" crowd. You know, the guys that go and shoot up a church or mall because white culture is being erased by brown people.

Belz... 11th July 2019 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper (Post 12751611)

Yeah I saw that. I don't think skin colour is particularily important to this specific character to get bent out of shape over the casting.

Belz... 11th July 2019 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uke2se (Post 12751668)
Why can't Ariel be a mythological creature played by a black actress? Why is that more pandering than if she was played by a white actress?

People complained about Idris Elba's casting as Heimdall in 2011's Thor but then he was the coolest character in the movie. People complain. Ignore them.

jeremyp 11th July 2019 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12751865)
People complained about Idris Elba's casting as Heimdall in 2011's Thor but then he was the coolest character in the movie. People complain. Ignore them.

Exactly. When are the media going to learn that "people complain on Twitter" is not a story?

BobTheCoward 11th July 2019 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 12751850)
So I have a question.

My nephew who doesn't think he is racist and thinks black people have nothing to complain about because it has been 150 years since slavery.

Belz... 11th July 2019 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyp (Post 12751868)
Exactly. When are the media going to learn that "people complain on Twitter" is not a story?

I don't know. I've been saying for a while now that the media should essentially ignore the internet entirely. It just doesn't represent meatspace all that well.

JoeMorgue 11th July 2019 06:28 AM

Outrage is an addiction. There's good money to be had in being a pusher.