International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Merged: Rockets cannot propel in the vacuum of space. (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335934)

Steve001 9th July 2019 11:05 AM

A SciManDan video critiquing MrThrive and Survive's video for absolute proof space is fake. More pressure gradient force nonsense.
https://youtu.be/Uc6vmUryhMo

MrThriveandSurvive
https://youtu.be/g8THoPp1VA4

bknight 10th July 2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve001 (Post 12749921)
A SciManDan video critiquing MrThrive and Survive's video for absolute proof space is fake. More pressure gradient force nonsense.
https://youtu.be/Uc6vmUryhMo

MrThriveandSurvive
https://youtu.be/g8THoPp1VA4

I watched the SciManDan video, but that was enough for me to understand the ThriveandSurvive is real willfully ignorant individual.

CORed 10th July 2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadebox (Post 12740270)
And the earth would have no atmosphere because all the air would move to the lower pressure of the vacuum.

Edit: Oops, I forgot about the dome that is holding it in.

The only youtube I've found dumber than the one Sciman Dan was critiquing was the guy who thought the blue rock he found is a piece of the firmament.

halleyscomet 10th July 2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CORed (Post 12750875)
The only youtube I've found dumber than the one Sciman Dan was critiquing was the guy who thought the blue rock he found is a piece of the firmament.

Got a link for that? It sounds hilarious.

Crazy people can be entertaining when harmless:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiJ...1FCG0lxucI-_kQ

Trebuchet 10th July 2019 10:30 AM

GingerV has started a new thread spamming yet another Jerry Sprocket video. I reported it.

halleyscomet 10th July 2019 10:39 AM

Will a Model Rocket Motor Work In Vacuum?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

halleyscomet 10th July 2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 12750974)
GingerV has started a new thread spamming yet another Jerry Sprocket video. I reported it.

They must have been suspended / banned from one of the other forums where they were spamming.

On a related Flat Earth note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyD8VIK032o

bknight 10th July 2019 12:08 PM

Quote:

Which thread?

ETA: Never mind I found the latest BS thread.

CORed 10th July 2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halleyscomet (Post 12750898)
Got a link for that? It sounds hilarious.

Crazy people can be entertaining when harmless:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiJ...1FCG0lxucI-_kQ

I don't have a link. It's something I saw several months ago. I don't know if it's even still up.

halleyscomet 10th July 2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CORed (Post 12751138)
I don't have a link. It's something I saw several months ago. I don't know if it's even still up.

I did some looking. These may not be the video you remember, but they cover the same ground.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I AGREE

Doubt 10th July 2019 06:54 PM

Quote:

What a miserable existence where lying to people to drive clicks is all there is.

abaddon 11th July 2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubt (Post 12751488)
What a miserable existence where lying to people to drive clicks is all there is.

Yes. If one finds oneself adopting extreme positions simply because one enjoys the attention it garners, then it is clearly time to reassess ones life.

I struggle to understand the thinking of many cranks. A few seem genuinely simply misinformed. Sure that happens sometimes.

But the overwhelming majority have religious fervour about their commitment to a false idea.

To me, that is deeply disturbing.

smartcooky 11th July 2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CORed (Post 12750875)

Oooh, I've just see the video HalleysComet link downthread...

Man that is funny. The Stupid of some people is beyond belief.

bknight 11th July 2019 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abaddon (Post 12752358)
Yes. If one finds oneself adopting extreme positions simply because one enjoys the attention it garners, then it is clearly time to reassess ones life.

I struggle to understand the thinking of many cranks. A few seem genuinely simply misinformed. Sure that happens sometimes.

But the overwhelming majority have religious fervour about their commitment to a false idea.

To me, that is deeply disturbing.

It is trollish behavior IMO.

MRC_Hans 11th July 2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bknight (Post 12752394)
It is trollish behavior IMO.

People want to be loved.
If they can't be loved, they want to be respected.
If they can't be respected, they want to be feared.
If they can't be feared, they want to be despised.

Anything to not be ignored.

Hans

I Am The Scum 11th July 2019 04:28 PM

You know how if you hold the end of an inflated balloon, and then let go, that it will accelerate forward?

What do these people think will happen if you do that in space?

JayUtah 11th July 2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum (Post 12752524)
You know how if you hold the end of an inflated balloon, and then let go, that it will accelerate forward?

What do these people think will happen if you do that in space?

The air exhausts, but the balloon doesn't go anywhere.

xterra 11th July 2019 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayUtah (Post 12752565)
The air exhausts, but the balloon doesn't go anywhere.

The thread exhausts, and doesn't go anywhere.

smartcooky 11th July 2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xterra (Post 12752573)
The thread exhausts, and doesn't go anywhere.

:thumbsup:

Nothing to push against! :D

Hans 11th July 2019 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 12752677)
:thumbsup:

Nothing to push against! :D

well it was vacuous.

bruto 11th July 2019 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans (Post 12752463)
People want to be loved.

Hans

Perhaps, but it could be simpler than this. I suspect that most conspiracy theorists and holders of crackpot theories are simply unable to bear the realization that they're ignorant. What better way to rise above that than to find an idea which, if right, would make you one of the wisest people ever? Once you latch on to it, everything, including opposition, can serve as evidence in your favor. If all the rest of us are deluded fools, our disdain is further proof. Just you wait, sheeple.

No doubt some who do this sort of thing are just trolls or jokers passing the time, but I rather suspect that a fair number are really just persons so ill at ease in reality that they're playing an adult variation on the unhappy child's fantasy of the kidnapped princess.

bknight 12th July 2019 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruto (Post 12752751)
Perhaps, but it could be simpler than this. I suspect that most conspiracy theorists and holders of crackpot theories are simply unable to bear the realization that they're ignorant. What better way to rise above that than to find an idea which, if right, would make you one of the wisest people ever? Once you latch on to it, everything, including opposition, can serve as evidence in your favor. If all the rest of us are deluded fools, our disdain is further proof. Just you wait, sheeple.

No doubt some who do this sort of thing are just trolls or jokers passing the time, but I rather suspect that a fair number are really just persons so ill at ease in reality that they're playing an adult variation on the unhappy child's fantasy of the kidnapped princess.

Especially in forums like this, but YT is another world where I know something that you don't. :rolleyes:

The Common Potato 12th July 2019 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruto (Post 12752751)

I think they're terrified of being wrong or being conned. After all, we rational mainstreamers are the sheep; they are too smart to fall for government propaganda. That, combined with ignorance and arrogance, just about covers it.

EHocking 12th July 2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halleyscomet (Post 12750984)
Will a Model Rocket Motor Work In Vacuum?

I AGREE

post 2987 was ignored as it demonstrated the same

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...2#post12713152

halleyscomet 15th July 2019 11:40 AM

Poor Flat Earthers, literally over 2,000 years behind modern science.

https://imgur.com/gallery/VcqCMNR

Reality Check 15th July 2019 03:16 PM

The Space Station Crosses a Spotless Sun
Quote:

Explanation: That's no sunspot. It's the International Space Station (ISS) caught passing in front of the Sun. Sunspots, individually, have a dark central umbra, a lighter surrounding penumbra, and no solar panels. By contrast, the ISS is a complex and multi-spired mechanism, one of the largest and most sophisticated machines ever created by humanity. Also, sunspots occur on the Sun, whereas the ISS orbits the Earth. Transiting the Sun is not very unusual for the ISS, which orbits the Earth about every 90 minutes, but getting one's timing and equipment just right for a great image is rare. Strangely, besides that fake spot, in this recent two-image composite, the Sun lacked any real sunspots. The featured picture combines two images -- one capturing the space station transiting the Sun -- and another taken consecutively capturing details of the Sun's surface. Sunspots have been rare on the Sun since the dawn of the current Solar Minimum, a period of low solar activity. For reasons not yet fully understood, the number of sunspots occurring during both the previous and current solar minima have been unusually low.

Trebuchet 15th July 2019 07:14 PM

That's obviously an Imperial TIE fighter!

arthwollipot 15th July 2019 08:42 PM

Quote:

Sunspots, individually, have a dark central umbra, a lighter surrounding penumbra, and no solar panels.
That's good information right there.

Garrison 16th July 2019 05:08 AM

It is not only the 50th anniversary it is also the 50th anniversary of The New York Times apologizing for their 1920 editorial claiming rockets couldn't work in a vacuum, at least when faced with the facts the Times had the good grace to admit they were wrong

Trebuchet 16th July 2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrison (Post 12755980)
It is not only the 50th anniversary it is also the 50th anniversary of The New York Times apologizing for their 1920 editorial claiming rockets couldn't work in a vacuum, at least when faced with the facts the Times had the good grace to admit they were wrong

I have it on good authority that the New York Times is Fake News!

Craig4 16th July 2019 03:43 PM

Funny, I'd have thought GV would have posted here on the 50th anniversary of the launch of the first manned mission to the moon.

Craig4 16th July 2019 03:51 PM

Duplicate.

arthwollipot 16th July 2019 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig4 (Post 12756661)
Funny, I'd have thought GV would have posted here on the 50th anniversary of the launch of the first manned mission to the moon.

I'm pretty sure that GV got bored and has moved on.

halleyscomet 17th July 2019 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 12756854)

Well, GV is, I assert, two dogs in a trench coat typing by banging the edge of a fedora on a keyboard. It's possible one of them is undergoing worm treatment and as a result the other can't REACH the keyboard.

I have just as much verifiable evidence for this assertion as GV has that rockets don't work in the vacuum of space.

Steve 19th July 2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 12755667)
That's obviously an Imperial TIE fighter!

And it's heading for that small moon.

bknight 19th July 2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 12756854)

That would be a relief, but....

Craig4 20th July 2019 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans (Post 12752463)
People want to be loved.

Hans

I think you need to work in "sometimes just want to be noticed". Some people just aspire to be the train wreck the rest of us can't look away from.

arthwollipot 21st July 2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bknight (Post 12759976)
That would be a relief, but....

but...

https://media.giphy.com/media/hEc4k5pN17GZq/giphy.gif

Dave Rogers 22nd July 2019 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 12759942)
And it's heading for that small moon.

A debatable point...

Dave

abaddon 22nd July 2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers (Post 12762040)

xkcd has all the answers...to everything.