International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Social Issues & Current Events (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Knife attacks in Auckland (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359801)

arthwollipot 22nd June 2022 10:27 PM

Knife attacks in Auckland

Four wounded in stabbing rampage in Auckland, bystanders bring attacker to the ground

Quote:

A man has wounded four people in a stabbing rampage before being stopped by bystanders, who brought him to the ground in an Auckland neighbourhood, New Zealand police said.

Police District Commander Naila Hassan said the attack in Auckland on Thursday was random and the suspect was in custody.

She said there was no indication the attack was a hate crime, as the victims were of different genders, ethnicities and ages.

"This was an extremely fast-moving incident, where our police staff responded quickly, apprehended the offender and prevented further harm to our communities," Commander Hassan said.

She said the victims all suffered moderate injuries.

People in the neighbourhood began following and surrounding the man after he began his attack and one brought him down using a walking crutch, Commander Hassan said.

"Members of the public acted with extreme bravery," she said.

Donal 23rd June 2022 06:38 AM

Fortunately, no one seems to have suffered any major injuries. I guess the good guys without guns were able to subdue the attackers without any fatalities.

arthwollipot 23rd June 2022 08:38 PM

Only moderate injuries, which isn't nothing. It's hard to take down a knife wielder without getting cut. I'll bet there were some sutures being sutured in Auckland's emergency room.

Warp12 23rd June 2022 08:46 PM

They don't publish suspect names?

arthwollipot 23rd June 2022 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp12 (Post 13840072)
They don't publish suspect names?

I wouldn't think so. Not until charges are laid and it becomes part of the public record.

rjh01 23rd June 2022 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donal (Post 13839645)
Fortunately, no one seems to have suffered any major injuries. I guess the good guys without guns were able to subdue the attackers without any fatalities.

That is it. Take guns away from most people and criminals find it hard to get guns. So they need to use weapons that are not suitable for mass murder (outside of domestic violence).

smartcooky 24th June 2022 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjh01 (Post 13840094)
That is it. Take guns away from most people and criminals find it hard to get guns. So they need to use weapons that are not suitable for mass murder (outside of domestic violence).

Yup. If this guy had had access to guns, there would have been multiple deaths.

Donal 24th June 2022 06:26 AM

It's because most "illegal guns" start out perfectly legal. Most of the "illegal guns" confiscated in New York City were legally purchased in Florida, Virginia, or Pennsylvania. My wife grew up in Dubuque, Iowa and it was no secret people were buying guns there to bring them into Chicago.

Restricting guns will in fact take them out of the hands of criminals.