International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Continuation Donald Trump has 'dangerous mental illness', say psychiatry experts at Yale... Pt 2 (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330170)

Skeptic Ginger 3rd July 2019 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggurat (Post 12744400)
We're not alone. Have you forgotten Canada?

Hell, Saudi Arabia is an actual monarchy. That's as nepotismic (is that a word?) as you can get.

Re Canada, electing a relative is not appointing a relative.

Saudi is of course, not a democracy.

Ziggurat 3rd July 2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 12744438)
Saudi is of course, not a democracy.

Quite so. But it's a G20 nation, and for some reason that was the comparison group chosen.

theprestige 3rd July 2019 03:01 PM

This thread has gotten really weird. Like even weird than it already was.

---

Also, apparently now taking a friend or family member into your confidence now a sign of mental illness.

I guess every family-owned and operated business is owned and operated by crazy people now.

TragicMonkey 3rd July 2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12744465)

---

Also, apparently now taking a friend or family member into your confidence now a sign of mental illness.

I guess every family-owned and operated business is owned and operated by crazy people now.

How many times do your kids show up at your work meetings? Daily? Did they show up and get their own offices when you were hired?

theprestige 3rd July 2019 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey (Post 12744468)
How many times do your kids show up at your work meetings? Daily? Did they show up and get their own offices when you were hired?

I don't have kids. But family operations are quite common.

TragicMonkey 3rd July 2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12744491)

As are topless beaches. But the US presidency is neither a family operation nor a topless beach. Children of presidents are not elected, they do not have jobs in the government, they are not authorized to speak for the US on any subject, and they are certainly not entitled to attend summit meetings.

Sideroxylon 3rd July 2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Democracy is overrated.

bruto 3rd July 2019 04:22 PM

It's possible the prestige is right, and it's no big deal to have your kids involved in a family operation, but perhaps at the same time it is a big deal that some people think a nation should be run like the corner butcher shop.

Sideroxylon 3rd July 2019 04:26 PM

Or a NY mob racket.

Brainache 3rd July 2019 06:04 PM

And it's not like there's anything in the constitution against hereditary power. The founding fathers would have said something if they opposed the idea of people inheriting high office...

Stacyhs 3rd July 2019 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 12744389)
OK, I guess I was ascribing too much weight to his son's claims of it manifesting itself during his presidency, coupled with his subsequent diagnosis.

As I said, it was never verified...as in by doctors or medical records. Personally, I think he was suffering from the early stages while in office and it was concealed by Nancy and those around him. He was not officially diagnosed until five years after he left office (1994). As I've said earlier, my mother commented that "something is wrong with that man" while he was in office and noted that Nancy was always glued to his side.

Stacyhs 3rd July 2019 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12744465)

---

Whoa, the prestige. Hold your horses here. Who said anything about "taking a friend or family member into your confidence (is) now a sign of mental illness"? Neigh-ry a one. You need to rein in your imagination. Personally, I don't think 'stable geniuses' would surround themselves with unqualified family members as advisers. That runs rough shod over horse sense.

Ok..I'll stop now.

The people of the US do not elect the head of a family-owned business; they elect the President of the United States.

Sideroxylon 3rd July 2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 12744618)
Whoa, the prestige. Hold your horses here. Who said anything about "taking a friend or family member into your confidence (is) now a sign of mental illness"? Neigh-ry a one. You need to rein in your imagination. Personally, I don't think 'stable geniuses' would surround themselves with unqualified family members as advisers. That runs rough shod over horse sense.

Ok..I'll stop now.

The people of the US do not elect the head of a family-owned business; they elect the President of the United States.

Yeah, not really sure what the people of the US are actually thinking in their election choices. Lost the plot.

Stacyhs 3rd July 2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon (Post 12744623)
Yeah, not really sure what the people of the US are actually thinking in their election choices. Lost the plot.

A MINORITY of the people of the US. I take great comfort in that.

Delvo 3rd July 2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Shrike (Post 12744151)
The Trump dementia talk has really ramped up on social media over the past week or so. Evidently, Ivanka shadowing his every move at the G20 is a huge red flag for neurologists and dementia caregivers.

That, and thinking that Putin's comment about "western liberalism" was about the "liberal" cities on the USA's west coast, and thinking that a question about school busing was about whether to use buses to get kids to school. From a President, this complete lack of any awareness or concept of what his job even is is like asking an electrician a question involving "current" and getting an answer about canoes & kayaks. It would be hard to be any farther out-of-it than this and still be (mostly) able to even speak English at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 12744618)

Ok..I'll stop now.

Pence=Incitatus.

carlitos 3rd July 2019 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggurat (Post 12744400)
We're not alone. Have you forgotten Canada?

Hell, Saudi Arabia is an actual monarchy. That's as nepotismic (is that a word?) as you can get.

Trudeau was elected, not appointed by his father.

Good point in naming Saudi Arabia, though. I was wondering about maybe Turkey or Indonesia; I had forgotten that the Saudis were in the G20.

Still, thankfully, the top 20 economies arenít generally family-run businesses. Again, with our own glaring exception, and the Saudis who were, of course, the Trump administrationís first overseas trip. Which was, to quote a certain President, Sad!

Delvo 4th July 2019 04:47 AM

Even if the excuses about involving family in the job were valid or even made a speck of sense, they still would not explain the sudden change, to having someone of his inner circle accompany him at all times, when they hadn't done that before.

theprestige 4th July 2019 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delvo (Post 12744945)
Even if the excuses about involving family in the job were valid or even made a speck of sense, they still would not explain the sudden change, to having someone of his inner circle accompany him at all times, when they hadn't done that before.

This is Kremlinology, not psychiatry.

carlitos 4th July 2019 08:53 AM

Donald Trump has 'dangerous mental illness', say psychiatry experts at Yale... Pt 2

Quote:

Hamburg, Germany(CNN) Ivanka Trump, President Donald Trump's daughter and one of his top White House aides, briefly took her father's place at a meeting with other world leaders at the G20 summit here in Hamburg on Saturday, causing a stir among Trump critics on social media.

A photo of the first daughter sitting next to Chinese President Xi Jinping, British Prime Minister Theresa May, Turkey's Recep Tayyip Erdogan and German Chancellor Angela Merkel was first tweeted by Svetlana Lukash, who identifies herself on Twitter as a G20 Russian sherpa, a title given to people who help international delegations at large summits.

A senior Trump administration official confirmed that Ivanka Trump had stepped in for her father, but dismissed any suggestion it was improper or unusual.

Quote:

U.S. President Donald Trump has arrived in the Argentine capital of Buenos Aires to attend the two-day G20 Summit, his first visit to Latin America since he came to power almost two years ago.

Mr.Trump landed at 10.14 p.m. on Thursday at the Ministro Pistarini International Airport where he and First Lady Melania Trump were received by Argentine Foreign Minister Jorge Faurie, the President of the Chamber of Deputies Emilio Monzo and provisional president of the Senate Federico Pinedo, reports Efe news.

The President was accompanied, in addition to the First Lady, by his daughter and advisor, Ivanka Trump, and his son-in-law and advisor, Jared Kushner, as well as by U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and the White House Chief of Staff John Kelly.

The Great Zaganza 4th July 2019 08:55 AM

Ivanka is advising him on when to take his dried-frog pills.

Cainkane1 4th July 2019 08:59 AM

Trump is a danger to no one. He has a very Narcistic personality which I don't particularly like but he presents no danger to society in America anyway. A true weirdo would have declared war on Iran instead of showing restraint.

He said the downing of the drone was not a reason to go to war but had the plane been manned it might have been. He is punishing Iran in other economical ways.

He is certainly no psychopath.

The Great Zaganza 4th July 2019 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 (Post 12745170)

I don't think he is either.

But he clearly is a sociopath.

jimbob 4th July 2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 (Post 12745170)
Trump is a danger to no one. He has a very Narcistic personality which I don't particularly like but he presents no danger to society in America anyway. A true weirdo would have declared war on Iran instead of showing restraint.

He said the downing of the drone was not a reason to go to war but had the plane been manned it might have been. He is punishing Iran in other economical ways.

He already is trying to destroy many of the checks and balances in the US system. He is happy to accept the support and endorsement of white supremacists and klan members. He seems obsessed with destroying everything Obama did, regardless of merit, simply because Obama mocked him in response to Trump's constant birtherism. He has let slip US intelligence to hostile foreign powers, seemingly with no reason other than to show off (part of his narcissism). He attacks the press as an enemy of the people for telling the truth and incites violence against his opponents including the press. He is indulging in criminal behaviour in the highest office and there are multiple credible accusations of sexual assault and rape against him.

Apart from that, well, I'm sure others could list some positives and negatives.

Orphia Nay 5th July 2019 12:38 AM

Mental illness diagnoses are just words that try to fit malfunctions in any or all of the trillions and trillions of cells, neurons, neurotransmitters, notgoingtoeventrytosumupthebrainandbody'spartsthat affectbehaviour.

That's why the DSM-# keeps getting bigger and bigger. And this thread.

theprestige 5th July 2019 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay (Post 12745796)
Mental illness diagnoses are just words that try to fit malfunctions in any or all of the trillions and trillions of cells, neurons, neurotransmitters, notgoingtoeventrytosumupthebrainandbody'spartsthat affectbehaviour.

That's why the DSM-# keeps getting bigger and bigger. And this thread.

This thread keeps getting bigger because of Trump Derangement Syndrome. But that is a figure of speech, not a real mental illness.

It's more like a fanfic with really dedicated fans. Like furries.

jimbob 5th July 2019 12:53 PM

It's not deranged to worry about further evidence of the increasing levels of idiocy of the president.

His statements about airports in the War of Independence or War of 1812, were not what a well person would say regardless of whether their autocue broke.

Skeptic Ginger 5th July 2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12745984)
This thread keeps getting bigger because of Trump Derangement Syndrome. But that is a figure of speech, not a real mental illness.

It's quite hilarious to see someone claim Trump derangement syndrome when Trump's NPD is so blatantly demonstrable that one has to seriously ignore reality to pretend it's not there.

Stacyhs 5th July 2019 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 12746340)
It's quite hilarious to see someone claim Trump derangement syndrome when Trump's NPD is so blatantly demonstrable that one has to seriously ignore reality to pretend it's not there.

So true.

Orphia Nay 5th July 2019 07:33 PM

Quote:

If we define something as Trump Derangement Syndrome, it is happening on both pro- and anti-Trump sides of the political spectrum.

The term needs no partisan meaning.

Trump is deranged, though. (Not a medical diagnosis.)

jimbob 7th July 2019 12:32 AM

Quote:

In summary, we believe1
that the preponderance of evidence overwhelmingly supports the conclusion that this President is incapable of making sound, rational, reality-based decisions free of impulsivity, recklessness, paranoid and other demonstrably false beliefs, with most notably an absorption in self-interest that precludes the consideration of national interest. These characteristics not only affect the
overall unfitness of this President; they also indicate a profound danger to national and international
security in the nuclear age. Whereas we would still like to see the results of a proper, in-person
evaluation, as stated above, a personal interview does not necessarily yield the most useful information in
a functional assessment.
In fact, we believe that we already have enough information to conclude that the President lacks the mental capacity to discharge the duties of his office, and that his incapacity in these
respects represents a profound risk to public health and safety.
Quote:

1 What about “the Goldwater rule”? some may ask. The Goldwater rule (Section 7.3 of the American Psychiatric
Association’s code of ethics) has often been misinterpreted, and it is important that we make clear: the Goldwater
rule is a call to action, stipulating that psychiatrists fulfill their primary professional responsibility to society by
participating in activities that improve the community and better public health. Our obligation is not to a public
figure but to society, and the rule states that, when asked about a public figure, we educate the public in general
terms while refraining from diagnosis (or the equivalent). We adhere to the Goldwater rule by refraining from any
diagnosis and, more importantly, uphold its principle by acting for the benefit of society through doing what we can
to protect its health and wellbeing.

From the pdf document linked to here with a bit of introduction

https://medium.com/hundreds-of-menta...t-123f8f054cd0

Roger Ramjets 7th July 2019 03:59 AM

Quote:

This thread keeps getting bigger because of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Being concerned about the president's health is not derangement.

For those of us here who are not concerned however...

This thread helps reassure me that Trump hasn't completely lost it yet. Because I think he is capable of 'great' things, and it would be pity if he had to step down before doing something truly insane. Then when he does it, and conservatives have to decide whether or not to keep pretending he's fine, we will find out who is truly deranged.

3point14 7th July 2019 05:35 AM

Quote:

Quite popular in Sicily, I understand.

The Great Zaganza 9th July 2019 10:26 AM

Not sure this was already linked:

https://youtu.be/pS8k93rbJjI

"What the Mueller Report reveals about Trump's mental state."

theprestige 9th July 2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay (Post 12746586)
If we define something as Trump Derangement Syndrome, it is happening on both pro- and anti-Trump sides of the political spectrum.

The term needs no partisan meaning.

Trump is deranged, though. (Not a medical diagnosis.)

I don't really disagree with any of this.

theprestige 9th July 2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3point14 (Post 12747537)
Quite popular in Sicily, I understand.

Quite popular in a lot of places. I'm pretty sure you don't actually think that every family business is a mob operation.

Stacyhs 9th July 2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12749872)
Not sure this was already linked:

https://youtu.be/pS8k93rbJjI

"What the Mueller Report reveals about Trump's mental state."

Very interesting. As Dr. Lee says, this was a mental capacity evaluation that does not require an in person interview.

It's important to highlight what Dr. Lee said regarding presidents and vice-presidents undergoing mental health evaluations: those who push the nuclear buttons must undergo such exams every year but the person who commands them does not.

theprestige 9th July 2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 12750058)
Very interesting. As Dr. Lee says, this was a mental capacity evaluation that does not require an in person interview.

It's important to highlight what Dr. Lee said regarding presidents and vice-presidents undergoing mental health evaluations: those who push the nuclear buttons must undergo such exams every year but the person who commands them does not.

Of course the person who commands them goes through a mental health evaluation. Indeed, they go through exactly the evaluation that Dr Lee has essayed for Trump.

Stacyhs 9th July 2019 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12750064)
Of course the person who commands them goes through a mental health evaluation. Indeed, they go through exactly the evaluation that Dr Lee has essayed for Trump.

She was referring to the Commander-in-Chief. The POTUS is not required to undergo a mental health evaluation.

jimbob 9th July 2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 12750083)
She was referring to the Commander-in-Chief. The POTUS is not required to undergo a mental health evaluation.

Which was utterly obvious given that that part of the video was about the "Commander in Chief" whilst discussing the President and Donald Trump and this thread is about Trump's mental health.

It's a bit like Liverpoolmiss on Badscience saying that she wonders who "Individual One" could have been in the Cohen indictment. She managed to narrow it down to someone who was the Republican presidential nominee for 2016...

jimbob 9th July 2019 02:37 PM

Meanwhile as if to demonstrate that point of the video (or the associated article I linked to) Trump's airport speech xame along.

Then his excuse that it was due to a faulty autocue emphasized his disconnection from reality or at least basic knowledge that a 7 year old would understand.