International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Senator Al Franken Kissed and Groped Me Without My Consent, And Thereís Nothing Funny (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324808)

TheL8Elvis 26th January 2018 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 12161872)
I'd like to point out how entertaining it is to watch this thread continue. How long as Franken been gone? Yet, since it's the only possible option for any sort of moral high ground for the GOP, this horse has to been beaten so hard it's now just a puddle of hooves and teeth.

From an outside looking in, this is how both conversations look:

GOP folk: Dems ruined this guy, they made him resign, but also, he should have resigned. Watch as I come up with some other dumbass nickname for him like was done with Killary, shillary, Hildabeast, because that's what we really do well at! Schumer shutdown *wink wink*

Dems: Maybe the party jumped to conclusions too early. He should have had his day in court, but it's better to err on the side of caution. Why don't the GOP hold anyone, at all, under any circumstances, responsible including the POTUS?

GOP: OMG TU QUOQUE, TU QUOQUE

This thread is a testament to the patheticness of American partisan politics. It's sad to see this thread continue to exist, but it's a hoot reading through it. A train wreck at it's finest.

QFT

thaiboxerken 26th January 2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12161848)
But apparently he wasn't so valuable that his fellow Democrat Senators wanted to keep him around.

Or those Senators have principles, unlike the GOP.

theprestige 26th January 2018 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken (Post 12162321)
Or those Senators have principles, unlike the GOP.

Some of them admit they did it in haste, without thinking, and they regret it.

It wasn't a principled move.

Skeptic Ginger 26th January 2018 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahhell (Post 12158843)
... If the GOP was going to target a particular dem, they'd go for one in a purple or red state, not Minnesota.

That's a rather limited view of GOP motivation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken (Post 12158852)
Nonsense. Al Franken was a thorn in the GOP's side, they hated how he grilled those idiots with difficult questions.

This was the issue, plain and simple. Franken was extremely effective as a Senator.

Skeptic Ginger 26th January 2018 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl (Post 12158916)
But, he alone is responsible for what he did.

And just what did he do that was anything worth being forced out of office for?

Be careful, there are a slew of GOP legislators and the POTUS who have done much much worse and no one is calling for their resignation.

thaiboxerken 26th January 2018 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12162360)
Some of them admit they did it in haste, without thinking, and they regret it.

It wasn't a principled move.

Yes, for some it was a knee-jerk reaction. For others, it was principled. Also, some of them did it as a knee-jerk reaction because of their principles. It's strange how people's motivations can differ.

Foolmewunz 27th January 2018 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12161850)
The GOP did that with Weinstein? Did they use the official GOP letterhead and everything? Or did it just come from the blue-checkmark GOP Twitter account?

Sad.

plague311 7th October 2018 02:02 PM

The Kavanaugh thread made me read through this thread for a good chuckle. It made me think though, I live in North Dakota so we get all of Minnesota's viewing ads, mostly because I live on the border so we are a shared market. I haven't seen any advertisements for Al Franken. Does this officially mean he's not going to go try getting in again? I can't seem to find much recent information.

theprestige 7th October 2018 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 12456950)
The Kavanaugh thread made me read through this thread for a good chuckle. It made me think though, I live in North Dakota so we get all of Minnesota's viewing ads, mostly because I live on the border so we are a shared market. I haven't seen any advertisements for Al Franken. Does this officially mean he's not going to go try getting in again? I can't seem to find much recent information.

I think my favorite part of the Kavanaugh threads was somebody arguing that because the Dems railroaded Franken, it was only fair that the Pubs railroad Kavanaugh.

Upchurch 7th October 2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12456984)
I think my favorite part of the Kavanaugh threads was somebody arguing that because the Dems railroaded Franken, it was only fair that the Pubs railroad Kavanaugh.

I think you misunderstand. I think the Democrats are in the process of learning from the Republicans that integrity is a bug, not a feature. Hypocrisy wins power.

theprestige 7th October 2018 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upchurch (Post 12457060)
I think you misunderstand. I think the Democrats are in the process of learning from the Republicans that integrity is a bug, not a feature. Hypocrisy wins power.

It wasn't integrity that railroaded Franken out of office. It wasn't integrity that left a stain on Monica Lewinsky's dress, or left Mary Jo Kopechne under a bridge. The Democrats have form from way back. They could teach a master class in hypocrisy, just from Juanita Broaddrick's "credible allegations" alone.

thaiboxerken 7th October 2018 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12457126)
It wasn't integrity that railroaded Franken out of office. It wasn't integrity that left a stain on Monica Lewinsky's dress, or left Mary Jo Kopechne under a bridge. The Democrats have form from way back. They could teach a master class in hypocrisy, just from Juanita Broaddrick's "credible allegations" alone.

Ya, that Democrat operative, Ken Starr ensured that Broaddrik's testimony never went to court..........

No, it's the GOP that are the masters of hypocrisy. You are dismissed.

fuelair 15th December 2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12132412)
It's silly to say the "popular vote" exists as a meaningful indicator in the context in which it keeps getting trotted out. The truth is that the left has to say she won some ersatz popularity contest as a way to make sense of the fact that she lost the actual election. Hillary Clinton had one job. One. Job. Winning the "popular vote" was not that job.

One of the reasons I loathe the lousy way the electoral college is rigged and needs to be ended or made even In representation with the population of each state - none getting extra votes as several wing nut states have been getting for a very long time.

fuelair 15th December 2018 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Dog (Post 12133467)
'slander by your lot." What "lot" is that exactly?

The women he demeaned throughout the years that ended up with him resigning in disgrace?

He was a tiny man with a grope fetish who treated women like ****, end of story.

And way more of your team have histories of that. Like trumpf but many other pieces of slime

fuelair 15th December 2018 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleon (Post 12133478)
Are we talking about Franken or Trump at this point?

Your blatantly partisan selective outrage is amusing, I'll give you that.

Always an obvious recognition of the truth is welcome here!!!!!

Ladewig 22nd April 2019 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12096227)
Trump the continual liar? Trump the fabulist who craves attention and approval? That guy?

I mean, take a look at the "pussy grabbing" remarks, in the context of the recent exposures. Trump is a Hollywood outsider, who's always wanted to be a part showbiz. Look at the way he finagles bit parts and walk-ons for himself, in any production he can.

So he's rubbing elbows with these Hollywood types, wishing he could be one of them, be accepted by them. Of course it'll never happen, but he can dream. And he must know about the open secrets. He knows how the bigwigs, the Matt Lauers and the Harvey Weinsteins, act. Their sense of entitlement towards women. Their shameless sexual greed. So naturally he invents a lie, a locker-room boast of the kind he imagines they make--perhaps the kind he's heard them make. It's a fable he made up, to try to fit in, to be accepted as one of them.

But I do like the idea that something is more believable because Trump said it.

Iím going to spend time considering this explanation.

applecorped 23rd April 2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 12162365)

Be careful, there are a slew of GOP legislators and the POTUS who have done much much worse and no one is calling for their resignation.

If you have to ask.......

Foolmewunz 23rd April 2019 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applecorped (Post 12673739)
If you have to ask.......

Snappy comeback. Took a mere fifteen months to come up with it? :eye-poppi

theprestige 23rd April 2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

That's exactly the question I was asking, when it happened.

Quote:

And best I can tell, that seems to be the answer. "We did it to Franken, now you have to do it to all these people, too!"

Skeptic Ginger 23rd April 2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12673776)
That's exactly the question I was asking, when it happened.

And best I can tell, that seems to be the answer. "We did it to Franken, now you have to do it to all these people, too!"

That's a twisted version. :boggled:

Franken should not have resigned. Whether others should resign depends on their specific case.

Republicans are incredible hypocrites about this and other issues.

Stacyhs 23rd April 2019 02:18 PM

[quote=Skeptic Ginger;12673996]That's a twisted version. :boggled:

Franken should not have resigned. Whether others should resign depends on their specific case.

Republicans are incredible hypocrites about this and other issues.[/QUOTE]

Would that include thinking a serial adulterer-pathological liar-bullying-narcissistic man-child was sent by God to be president?
God must certainly work in mysterious ways.

Brainster 23rd April 2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 12674007)
Would that include thinking a serial adulterer-pathological liar-bullying-narcissistic man-child was sent by God to be president?

I don't know anybody who thinks God sent Bill Clinton to be president.

Venom 23rd April 2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 12674007)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainster (Post 12674054)
I don't know anybody who thinks God sent Bill Clinton to be president.

The desperation.

theprestige 23rd April 2019 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom (Post 12674141)
The desperation.

The hypocrisy.

Venom 23rd April 2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12674168)
The hypocrisy.

I know, right? Evangelical Christians in my hometown would never stop talking about how Clinton had tainted the office of the President.

theprestige 23rd April 2019 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom (Post 12674229)
I know, right? Evangelical Christians in my hometown would never stop talking about how Clinton had tainted the office of the President.

If you say so. I have no way of knowing, and don't really care.

applecorped 23rd April 2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

If you have to ask.....part duex

Foolmewunz 23rd April 2019 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12674249)

Obviously you don't care about Republican hypocrisy.
Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12

applecorped 23rd April 2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 12673996)

Republicans are incredible hypocrites about this and other issues.

:i:

theprestige 24th April 2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz (Post 12674252)
Obviously you don't care about Republican hypocrisy.
Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12

I don't care about hypocrisy in general. It's pervasive and irrelevant. Even here, you're excited about acting out exactly the bad behavior you condemn in others. And for what? Nothing at all.

applecorped 24th April 2019 08:33 AM

Tee hee indeed.

Foolmewunz 25th April 2019 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12674750)
I don't care about hypocrisy in general. It's pervasive and irrelevant. Even here, you're excited about acting out exactly the bad behavior you condemn in others. And for what? Nothing at all.

You don't care about hypocrisy? What's this, then? Boosting your post count.?

Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12.

kookbreaker 25th April 2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applecorped (Post 12674760)
Tee hee indeed.

Beep boop

dann 25th April 2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12674249)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom (Post 12674229)
Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12674168)
The hypocrisy.

It is obviously anecdotal evidence, but on the other hand, it's extremely probable so there's no real reason to doubt the veracity since that's the way that Evangelical Christians seem to think everywhere and not just in Venom's hometown:

Quote:

It is hardly necessary here to reiterate the myriad sins that Trump has openly committed or the blithe ignorance of scripture he betrayed during the presidential campaign. All that matters is that more than 80% of white evangelicals conveniently forgot their prior concern with presidential character to vote for Trump, and this faction has remained his most loyal base.
(...)
Under King Cyrus Trump, however, the religious right has laid bare its hypocrisy, and indeed its heresy. We can feel emboldened to fight our opponents like any other political movement rather than as devout believers whose direct line to the Almighty, and whose resulting presumption of moral superiority, we have no way of empirically disproving.
In revering Trump, the religious right has laid bare its hypocrisy (The Guardian, Feb. 10, 2019)

However, I guess that theprestige still doesn't care since it was never really a question of having no way of knowing.

dann 22nd July 2019 11:59 AM

Ex-US Senator Al Franken regrets resigning over sexual misconduct claims (BBC, July 22, 2019)

plague311 22nd July 2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dann (Post 12762632)

He can run again next year. Now that everything is known he'll find out for sure if he's worthy of office or not. Though I will say it's probably an uphill battle.

ArchSas 22nd July 2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dann (Post 12762632)

Here's the article mentioned:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-of-al-franken

I think it's a pretty great read. I does a great of laying out the whole scandal and exposing it for the publicity-grabbing sham it was for the most part (plus, plenty of information I had no idea about, like the O'Reilly grudge). Which only makes it sadder that the Democratic establishment completely railroaded him for good optics.

theprestige 22nd July 2019 01:30 PM

The bit about Senator Gillibrand's role makes her sound like an insane douchebag.

Brainster 22nd July 2019 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 12762649)
He can run again next year. Now that everything is known he'll find out for sure if he's worthy of office or not. Though I will say it's probably an uphill battle.

Given that the two current senators from Minnesota are female Democrats, I wouldn't hold my breath.

plague311 22nd July 2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainster (Post 12762723)
Given that the two current senators from Minnesota are female Democrats, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'm not up in arms either way. I think Franken got steamrolled, and that article just goes to prove it. It's one of the biggest **** ups I think the Dem party has made, outside of putting Hillary up against Trump, in the last few years.