International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Computers and the Internet (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Password lost for Google (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348978)

rjh01 13th January 2021 07:47 PM

Password lost for Google
 
A friend of mine has lost access to Google. The friend needs it for their Gmail account. I tried to do a password reset, but that did not work. All it did was ask for any password, then for an email address. A code was sent and given to Google, however, Google refused to do anything more. The good news is that they still have access to Gmail on their iPad. They do not have it on their desktop.

Pity they never went here https://myaccount.google.com/security and did the "Ways we can verify it's you steps". Hint: If you have a gmail account do these steps.

Anyone got any ideas on what my friend can do? Or where would be a better place to ask?

Asking for a friend.

xterra 13th January 2021 07:50 PM

Is it possible to change the password for the account using the iPad, and then logging in from the other device using that new password?


Seems as if that would be a zero-cost possibility, where cost doesn't mean a financial one.

rjh01 13th January 2021 08:04 PM

Thanks for the idea xterra.

I have just worked out one option. Not sure if it would work on my friend's iPad.
On your iPad,
1. Go to Settings
2. Scroll down on the left to the option Passwords
3. Select Passwords.
4. It may ask for your iPad password or fingerprint. Give it to the iPad
5. On the right, it would have all the passwords the iPad knows in the clear. One of them will be for your Gmail account.

alfaniner 13th January 2021 10:29 PM

There's a guy out there now who has two remaining chances to access a $215 million Bitcoin account -- will pay a percentage for help. I think I'll concentrate my efforts there.

rjh01 13th January 2021 11:29 PM

Problem solved. My friend has found the password. And the email that gives my friend $100 million dollars. They just need to send in their bank account details with $100 processing fee.

Orphia Nay 13th January 2021 11:54 PM

What was the password?

Jim_MDP 14th January 2021 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjh01 (Post 13360361)
Problem solved. My friend has found the password. And the email that gives my friend $100 million dollars. They just need to send in their bank account details with $100 processing fee.

Hi, my name is James Veitch.
I would be happy to assist you in this endeavor.
Please reply soonest.
Love and kisses, James.

rjh01 14th January 2021 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay (Post 13360369)
What was the password?

The password was *******.

Dr. Keith 14th January 2021 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaniner (Post 13360330)
There's a guy out there now who has two remaining chances to access a $215 million Bitcoin account -- will pay a percentage for help. I think I'll concentrate my efforts there.

I am trying to forget that story so that I can sleep at night.

Modified 14th January 2021 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith (Post 13361152)
I am trying to forget that story so that I can sleep at night.


I'm just going to assume the dude is already wealthy, so I can sleep at night.

Wudang 15th January 2021 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith (Post 13361152)
I am trying to forget that story so that I can sleep at night.


https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-james-howells


Quote:

Originally Posted by Guardian
A computer engineer who claims he accidentally threw away a hard drive containing a virtual currency worth tens of millions of poundshas promised to give a local council a quarter of the fortune if they help him dig it out of a rubbish tip.


xterra 15th January 2021 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjh01 (Post 13360361)
Problem solved. My friend has found the password. [snip]


Did he find it by remembering it, or did he have it recorded somewhere (on paper or digitally)?


With regard to your proposed method of using stored password on the iPad, that's fine if you store passwords in that manner.



I use an encrypted password manager (KeePass), and never store passwords in browsers or similar application software. This has been discussed here previously several times.

rjh01 15th January 2021 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xterra (Post 13361940)
Did he find it by remembering it, or did he have it recorded somewhere (on paper or digitally)?


With regard to your proposed method of using stored password on the iPad, that's fine if you store passwords in that manner.



I use an encrypted password manager (KeePass), and never store passwords in browsers or similar application software. This has been discussed here previously several times.

They had it recorded in a book. They had not looked at that book. A google password is something that does not need to be remembered for years. Until something goes wrong...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2015-20, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.