International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Conjuror's Corner (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Dynamo Magician Impossible (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247067)

PeaceCrusader 3rd November 2012 04:30 PM

Dynamo Magician Impossible

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

See also Dynamo walking on water – Full Video HD
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The Man 3rd November 2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeaceCrusader (Post 8741772)
I AGREE

I AGREE

It would seem even the "Dynamo Magician" youtube video links are impossible.

fromdownunder 3rd November 2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeaceCrusader (Post 8741772)
I AGREE

I AGREE

...and? Apart from non link links, do you have any sort of a point here, or should this belong in the Entertainment sub-forum?

Norm

Loss Leader 3rd November 2012 04:59 PM

He's an English magician. Here's some sort of TV special that I think the OP was referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6q1axudGIY

PeaceCrusader 3rd November 2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loss Leader (Post 8741828)
He's an English magician. Here's some sort of TV special that I think the OP was referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6q1axudGIY

Thank you, Loss Leader. I do not know how that JREF notice is posted that goes to the youtube video.

fromdownunder 3rd November 2012 05:13 PM

You still have not explained what this thread is supposed to be about, apart from it being a link to a magician.

Norm

Slowvehicle 3rd November 2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fromdownunder (Post 8741858)
You still have not explained what this thread is supposed to be about, apart from it being a link to a magician.

Norm

...I think iit is supposed to demonstrate that a 6'8" man would not have crushed a 4-month-old burro...

Agatha 3rd November 2012 05:54 PM

He does tricks and illusions, PC. He is not performing magic in the sense of the supernatural or paranormal. When he walked on water on the Thames, he had previously (off camera) set up a walkway so that he was walking on that, not the water. It's not really magic.

(I know a little bit about him as he has Crohn's disease, like me, and he recently gave an interview to the National Assoc. of Crohn's and Colitis newsletter.)

Elizabeth I 3rd November 2012 06:58 PM

Here's somebody who says he's figured out how Dynamo does the lifting thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j86AMdV9tfI

Stray Cat 3rd November 2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I (Post 8742067)
Here's somebody who says he's figured out how Dynamo does the lifting thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j86AMdV9tfI

Yeah.... "blocking the signal"... that'll be it. :D

I don't like Dynamo at all... He doesn't come across as someone I'd get along with.

LandR 4th November 2012 10:14 AM

I don't know what is going on here.

I'm not a fan of Dynamo though.

666 4th November 2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeaceCrusader (Post 8741847)
Thank you, Loss Leader. I do not know how that JREF notice is posted that goes to the youtube video.

It is supposed to look like this...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

...but the video has been blocked in the UK.

Nowhere Man 4th November 2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pakeha (Post 8742692)
Can we put a name to this 6'8'' man?

Steven Frayne, stage name Dynamo.

Fred

Loss Leader 5th November 2012 07:31 AM

If Dynamo is using real magical power, he's doing things the hard way. Many of the tricks he does in the linked special were revealed in the "Breaking the Magician's Code" series.

Azrael 5 10th November 2012 06:49 PM

Claim to (minor)fame I knew Dynamo when he was 13 onwards,we frequented same magic store.
FYI he was rubbish even then. Ever wonder with all the people filming him(at Rio statue for example) on mobile phones etc. ,why there is no footage on YouTube or on line anywhere of him levitating?!
*strokes chin*

Stomatopoda 11th November 2012 01:49 AM

I'm kind of... impressed. This is a whole new level of gullibility.

LashL 11th November 2012 02:32 PM

Mod WarningI split a bunch of posts to Abandon All Hope. This sub-forum is Conjuror's Corner, not the Religion & Philosophy sub-forum. Please keep things on topic for this sub-forum. Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation.
Responding to this modbox in thread will be off topic Posted By:LashL

robcasey 14th November 2012 02:40 AM

This guy is amazing:D

PeaceCrusader 15th November 2012 04:33 AM

I saw on TV this week that Dynamo is being shown in Australia, Channel 7, Wednesday, 8:30-9:30pm. I do not know when the first showing was.

Azrael 5 16th November 2012 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeaceCrusader (Post 8771871)
I saw on TV this week that Dynamo is being shown in Australia, Channel 7, Wednesday, 8:30-9:30pm. I do not know when the first showing was.

Well UK got Neighbours so its only fair they get payback.;)

PeaceCrusader 10th December 2012 10:41 PM

Dynamo: Magician Impossible will be shown this Wednesday, 2012-12-12, 7:30-8:30pm, on Channel 7 in Australia.

timhau 11th December 2012 12:02 AM

Let me guess. This Dynamo guy is actually a prophet?

fromdownunder 11th December 2012 12:03 AM

Too bad it clashes with the cricket. Hhhmmm, Dynamo or cricket? A real no brainer.

Norm

AdMan 11th December 2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeaceCrusader (Post 8835531)

Please stop this. As has been pointed out numerous times, there is no need to add your own date nomenclature to each of your posts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeaceCrusader (Post 8835531)
Dynamo: Magician Impossible will be shown this Wednesday, 2012-12-12, 7:30-8:30pm, on Channel 7 in Australia.

Let me ask you honestly, PC--do you understand Dynamo is doing tricks, not actual magic? Or are you still watching thinking something like, "Well, if Dynamo can do this, Jesus certainly could!"?

If so, do you understand how silly that is?

The Man 11th December 2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fromdownunder (Post 8835596)
Too bad it clashes with the cricket. Hhhmmm, Dynamo or cricket? A real no brainer.

Norm

I'd probably go that way myself, fromdownunder, and I've never watched cricket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdMan (Post 8835614)
...Or are you still watching thinking something like, "Well, if Dynamo can do this, Jesus certainly could!"?

If so, do you understand how silly that is?

Meh… but was he or could he be (Jesus or heck, even Dynamo) a top notch bowler? Now that might be something to watch.

PeaceCrusader 4th January 2013 05:14 AM

It seems that Dynamo: Magician Impossible is now a regular feature of Channel 7 in Australia. I just watched last Wednesday, 2013-01-02, from 7:30-8:30pm. I am amazed at how he does his magic, so do people, like the sounding of a horn behind several people, or his disappearing and just leaving his attire, or his passing through a glass panel.

Andy_Ross 4th January 2013 05:33 AM

My neighbour thinks he is the best thing ever. He seems to think he doesn't use any of the usual magicians methods or any kind of editing in his shows, it's all recorded 'live' in the street with 'real' people so he can't be usng 'trickery'

pakeha 6th January 2013 11:51 PM

Does your neighbour also buy those products 'as advertised on TV'?

Squeegee Beckenheim 7th January 2013 04:44 PM

I've only seen one special of his. I'd heard lots about how amazing he was, so decided to watch for myself. In the whole 1 hour special I saw only 1 trick that I didn't already know how it was done. And I'm not exactly knowledgeable about magic. My step-mum saw one of his tricks and just said "that's stupid" and explained how it's done. She knows less than nothing about magic.

The one trick that I didn't know the methodology for was easily explained by editing and stooges. I don't know if that's the correct solution but, judging by the rest of his tricks, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Really not impressed.

Navigator 9th July 2013 07:32 PM

Yes - Dynamo's TV series is also airing in my country.

The thing that annoys me is that this kind of thing really only promotes wooism.
There no such thing as 'real magic' as I have seen some express in this thread. That kind of expression too, can definitely encourage wooism.

Max_mang 10th July 2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navigator (Post 9349805)
Yes - Dynamo's TV series is also airing in my country.

The thing that annoys me is that this kind of thing really only promotes wooism.
There no such thing as 'real magic' as I have seen some express in this thread. That kind of expression too, can definitely encourage wooism.

I haven't seen Dynamo's tv shows. Is he trying to pass himself off as doing 'real' magic and/or being some kind of prophet? Or is he just a magician like David Copperfield, David Blaine, etc?

HighRiser 10th July 2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max_mang (Post 9351017)
I haven't seen Dynamo's tv shows. Is he trying to pass himself off as doing 'real' magic and/or being some kind of prophet? Or is he just a magician like David Copperfield, David Blaine, etc?

He sure made Peace Crusader think it was real magic. If Dynamo could fool PC, Dynamo could surely fool just about anyone. (For limited values of anyone.)

Navigator 10th July 2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max_mang (Post 9351017)

A magician who is not trying to pass himself off as doing real magic, is not really applying the showman side of that occupation and would be better focusing on his/her day job as the main generator of $ and make magic tricks a hobby.

Dynamo - as he presents, is no doubt the most amazing Magician I have ever seen on the TV.
Some of his tricks are mind boggling - so much that my mind could easily fall into thinking woo-woo thoughts as to how he actually accomplishes some of those illusions - lucky though I am in control of my minds urge to wander down that particular path, and I simply tell myself that he must have more $ than he looks to have to pay all those actors, plus film crew and everything else to do with travelling, rubbing shoulders with the Rich and Famous, bills and hotels as well as having Crones disease (as I read in this thread and am taking that at face value).

So yes, Dynamo does indeed present his magic as being 'real' in the sense that he uses expressions and body language to give that impression to those he is playing tricks on.

He leaves people astounded and perplexed and sometimes making wooish comment regarding the 'powers' they have just witnessed.

That is what Magicians do.

That is why I made my comments regarding how Magicians are not really helping the cause to eradicate wooism from Human Consciousness.

AdMan 11th July 2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navigator (Post 9351534)
A magician who is not trying to pass himself off as doing real magic, is not really applying the showman side of that occupation and would be better focusing on his/her day job as the main generator of $ and make magic tricks a hobby.

You should tell that to Penn & Teller. I can imagine what their response would be.

marplots 11th July 2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Dynamo - as he presents, is no doubt the most amazing Magician I have ever seen on the TV.
Some of his tricks are mind boggling - so much that my mind could easily fall into thinking woo-woo thoughts as to how he actually accomplishes some of those illusions - lucky though I am in control of my minds urge to wander down that particular path, and I simply tell myself that he must have more $ than he looks to have to pay all those actors, plus film crew and everything else to do with travelling, rubbing shoulders with the Rich and Famous, bills and hotels as well as having Crones disease (as I read in this thread and am taking that at face value).

So yes, Dynamo does indeed present his magic as being 'real' in the sense that he uses expressions and body language to give that impression to those he is playing tricks on.

He leaves people astounded and perplexed and sometimes making wooish comment regarding the 'powers' they have just witnessed.

That is why I made my comments regarding how Magicians are not really helping the cause to eradicate wooism from Human Consciousness.

How do you feel about special effects in movies? Or movies about ghosts and poltergeists?

We like to be entertained by fantasy. I think most know what's going on. When I saw King Kong, I didn't really believe there was a giant ape on film, nor did I think Close Encounters of the Third Kind was a documentary. Hard to believe the public is as gullible as you seem to suggest.

Alan 11th July 2013 04:21 AM

Quote:

There are many ways to present magic, most of them performed with the expectation that people won't really believe it. Good showpersonship exceeds the narrow range you seem to think it should be restricted to.

Navigator 11th July 2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdMan (Post 9352324)
You should tell that to Penn & Teller. I can imagine what their response would be.

They found a nitch...but I have seen them do science and that is a hoot.

Navigator 11th July 2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marplots (Post 9352339)
How do you feel about special effects in movies? Or movies about ghosts and poltergeists?

We like to be entertained by fantasy. I think most know what's going on. When I saw King Kong, I didn't really believe there was a giant ape on film, nor did I think Close Encounters of the Third Kind was a documentary. Hard to believe the public is as gullible as you seem to suggest.

When it comes to Magicians, the more realistic they are, the more believable they are.
Just like with special effects.

Some people are more gullible - especially as children.

Navigator 11th July 2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 9352551)
There are many ways to present magic, most of them performed with the expectation that people won't really believe it. Good showpersonship exceeds the narrow range you seem to think it should be restricted to.

Well I have only been focused on this for a short while, and I might be confusing the intent of Magic or not.

As far as entertainment goes, it is feeding a need which may itself be an illusion.

Like movies do.

marplots 11th July 2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navigator (Post 9353289)
When it comes to Magicians, the more realistic they are, the more believable they are.
Just like with special effects.

Some people are more gullible - especially as children.

I've heard a lot of stories from other magicians about people shrieking in fear, or running away, or accusing them of being Satanic minions - so I agree, some people do "believe" it's real. But they are good stories because they are rare, not because they are the norm. The few effects I've done that could have been real or not (like shoving a needle through your arm) didn't require any supernatural explanations, even it it wasn't accomplished by trickery.

The norm is a bit of awe, a bit of amazement and a lot of delight.

Can magic serve the woomeister? Sure. Uri Geller comes to mind. But he purposely stayed away from other types of tricks that would have shown him out as a magician.