International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Social Issues & Current Events (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Panda on-loan to Thailand has snuffed it: people in China are angry, apparently (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338928)

angrysoba 18th September 2019 11:00 AM

Panda on-loan to Thailand has snuffed it: people in China are angry, apparently

The panda was 19 which is fairly old for a panda but they can live longer in captivity.

Some users of Weibo want China to bring back the other panda on loan there in case the zoo in Thailand isnít looking after the pandas properly, and also to end panda diplomacy.

Please have a heated debate about this.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e_iOSApp_Other

The Great Zaganza 18th September 2019 11:04 AM

Pandas should be given a simple choice: procreate or die.

TragicMonkey 18th September 2019 11:07 AM

Pandas are just large mice. If their fur wasn't that pattern and was just plain brown nobody would give a crap about them.

angrysoba 18th September 2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12824631)

Ah, the Baylor Imperative!

TragicMonkey 18th September 2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12824631)

Why not both? Panda Death Sex would be a great reality show. Or a good name for a band.

The Great Zaganza 18th September 2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angrysoba (Post 12824635)
Ah, the Baylor Imperative!

You think Great Pandas would decide to have more offspring if they are being told about the birthdates of Red Pandas?

Skeptic Ginger 18th September 2019 12:37 PM

Snuffed means killed, not died. This is the second thread title with this annoying language error.

cullennz 18th September 2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey (Post 12824632)
Pandas are just large mice. If their fur wasn't that pattern and was just plain brown nobody would give a crap about them.

They are a type of bear.

Babbylonian 18th September 2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 12824745)
Snuffed means killed, not died. This is the second thread title with this annoying language error.

AFAIK, in the British patois "snuffed it" is a casual, gallows humor type way to say "has died." Monty Python's dead parrot sketch was the first time I recall hearing this usage and I'm sure I've heard it since.

Myriad 18th September 2019 01:14 PM

Quote:

Oh good, something to argue about!

"Snuffed" (transitive) means killed, but "snuffed it" means died. The latter verb phrase is intransitive. And British.

Myriad 18th September 2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babbylonian (Post 12824787)
AFAIK, in the British patois "snuffed it" is a casual, gallows humor type way to say "has died." Monty Python's dead parrot sketch was the first time I recall hearing this usage and I'm sure I've heard it since.

It's also used in the Book of Armaments, chapter two, verse twenty-one.

cullennz 18th September 2019 01:23 PM

I have always known "snuffed it" as just died.

Think the confusion is the term comes from candle snuffers.

Which is what people used to use to extinguish candles. (kind of a stick with a wee cuppy thing on the end)

Snuffing out a candle is obviously killing the flame.

rockinkt 18th September 2019 01:25 PM

It's not dead. It's pining for the Great Wall.

TragicMonkey 18th September 2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cullennz (Post 12824778)
They are a type of bear.

No, they aren't. Pandas are giant mice. If you knew anything about the pre-Islamic Arabian trinity of Nuha, Ruda, and Atarsamain you'd know that. Duh. Whatever do they teach in Australian schools?

TragicMonkey 18th September 2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cullennz (Post 12824802)
I have always known "snuffed it" as just died.

Think the confusion is the term comes from candle snuffers.

I think the confusion comes from "snuff films", which is the most common occurence of the word in this context in the American dialect of English.

Hellbound 18th September 2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey (Post 12824824)
Whatever do they teach in Australian schools?

12 years of memorization of all the nasty creatures that want to kill you there, and how to avoid them.

Norman Alexander 18th September 2019 01:49 PM

Quote:

No, they aren't. Pandas are giant mice. If you knew anything about the pre-Islamic Arabian trinity of Nuha, Ruda, and Atarsamain you'd know that. Duh. Whatever do they teach in Australian schools?

He probably doesn't know. He lives in NZ.

Dr. Keith 18th September 2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

You need more We Bare Bears in your life.

Then you'll know that Panda is just annoying. But really, you'll be so distracted by Ice Bear's awesomeness that you'll stop thinking about Panda.

TragicMonkey 18th September 2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 12824837)
He probably doesn't know. He lives in NZ.

I was setting up a "same difference" joke when he complains.

cullennz 18th September 2019 01:56 PM

Quote:

Think you are thinking of red panda, which isn't a bear, as such, where as the giant panda is a bear

3point14 18th September 2019 02:16 PM

Can't Thailand just tell China that no Pandas died?

commandlinegamer 18th September 2019 03:51 PM

I've never heard or seen "snuffed" in anything other than the passive voice, i.e. "he/she has snuffed it" but it's a bit archaic.

I suppose a hitman might say "I snuffed him/her out" but it just sounds weird to me.

Skeptic Ginger 18th September 2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellbound (Post 12824829)
12 years of memorization of all the nasty creatures that want to kill you there, and how to avoid them.

Probably a good choice for what to teach. :p

TragicMonkey 18th September 2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cullennz (Post 12824852)
Think you are thinking of red panda, which isn't a bear, as such, where as the giant panda is a bear

No, red pandas are technically seals. Their ancestors unmigrated from the oceans. They're super cute and deserve all the love and attention currently lavished on the Giant Crapmice. All love to Pabu!

Roboramma 18th September 2019 10:13 PM

Quote:

Actually it's a little known fact that all large mammals are just giant mice. Whales are giant mice that can swim well.

mgidm86 18th September 2019 10:27 PM

To hell with Pandas. They aren't bears anyways they're stuffed animal toys.

Porpoise of Life 18th September 2019 11:41 PM

The king shot the panda, but nobody is allowed to talk about it.

Foolmewunz 18th September 2019 11:58 PM

Thailand's running 0 for 3 this year on the endangered species list. First we had the local billionaire who was "busted" (held but not prosecuted until a huge uproar during the elections forced the governments' hands) for bribing his way into a national park and setting up a hunting blind to hunt a local panther/leopard on the list. Then, last week, the return story came from that tiger temple they busted last year. Of 150+ tigers "rescued", half are now dead. The government wouldn't accept help fom tiger conservation experts and they picked up various diseases, including a strain of canine leukemia that big cats can catch.

Now this. It'll be harder to sweep this one under the rug. The Chinese still own all the pandas they're distributed around the world, plus any offspring. There's already a Chinese delegation on the way. A few panda vets(the medical kind) plus vets (veterans) of the political sort who are masters at Panda Diplomacy. It'll be done quietly but look for Thailand to open a veterinarian research center for Sino-Thai medicine or something similar. China will extract their pound of flesh and a few hundred kilometers of right-of-way to the new port in Myanmar that China is very interested in.

cullennz 19th September 2019 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roboramma (Post 12825237)
Actually it's a little known fact that all large mammals are just giant mice. Whales are giant mice that can swim well.

Everyone is going to know this fact as everyone on here is fairly brainy, but bringing up whales.

Polar Bears are actually classed as marine mammals like whales, and dolphins, as they spend so much more time in the sea than out of it.

cullennz 19th September 2019 12:06 AM

Oh and the "tyrannosaurus rex" were just the mice's great great X 10000 grandfathers who were big and laid eggs

Hungry81 19th September 2019 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cullennz (Post 12825307)
Oh and the "tyrannosaurus rex" were just the mice's great great X 10000 grandfathers who were big and laid eggs

Don't be silly. The Tyranosaurus Rexii (not es) were rats.

Roboramma 19th September 2019 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cullennz (Post 12825306)
Everyone is going to know this fact as everyone on here is fairly brainy, but bringing up whales.

Polar Bears are actually classed as marine mammals like whales, and dolphins, as they spend so much more time in the sea than out of it.

I actually wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense.

Polar bears are a good example of what an intermediate form between a terrestrial mammal and something like a seal that lives most of it's life in the sea but still returns to land to have young would have looked like, which is a nice example of the sort of intermediate form you'd have before getting something fully aquatic like a dolphin that never returns to the land.

TragicMonkey 19th September 2019 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life (Post 12825289)
The king shot the panda, but nobody is allowed to talk about it.

Good one!

Myriad 19th September 2019 12:20 PM

The Chinese delegation needs to make sure the panda didn't die of a contagious disease. The last thing they want is a pandaemic. That could cause pandamonium.

TragicMonkey 19th September 2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myriad (Post 12826029)
The Chinese delegation needs to make sure the panda didn't die of a contagious disease. The last thing they want is a pandaemic. That could cause pandamonium.

The panic of a panda pandemic would expand to other lands!

Elagabalus 19th September 2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz (Post 12825300)
...The Chinese still own all the pandas they're distributed around the world, plus any offspring. There's already a Chinese delegation on the way...

Taking the Panda Express no doubt.

GlennB 19th September 2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Not necessarily. "He snuffed it" simply means he died.

Skeptic Ginger 19th September 2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennB (Post 12826079)

No, it means 'he' killed 'it'.

British Monty Python slang doesn't count. :p

Dr. Keith 19th September 2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennB (Post 12826079)

Did you lose an avatar bet?

Dr. Keith 19th September 2019 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 12826084)
No, it means 'he' killed 'it'.

British Monty Python slang doesn't count. :p

From now on I will endeavor to refer to the Queen's English as Monty Python Slang. Thank you.