International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Non-USA & General Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Labour Activist Suspended For Anti-Semitism (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334820)

Graham2001 15th February 2019 05:59 AM

Labour Activist Suspended For Anti-Semitism
 
Looks like someone forgot something.


Quote:

A Labour activist who posted graphic anti-Semitic imagery from a white supremacist US website has been suspended from the party and barred from its candidates list, HuffPost UK can reveal.

https://au.yahoo.com/news/labour-act...223839540.html

dudalb 15th February 2019 11:28 AM

But there is no such thing as Left Wing Anti Semitism...

theprestige 15th February 2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 12602127)
But there is no such thing as Left Wing Anti Semitism...

There is, but we all know about it and we all agree it's horrible, so there's no need to call it out or even really talk about it ever.

The real problem is schoolkids in MAGA caps who smile and keep quiet when they're being verbally abused.

baron 15th February 2019 12:39 PM

A far left Labour activist not only replicated an antisemitic image, she got hold of it from a far right website and even emailed the website owners asking for permission to use the image and praising its accuracy. That's not what's shocking, though; what's shocking is that people are actually surprised by this. People still don't seem to understand that the far left and the far right are essentially the same thing, where the ends of the political circle meet up, the differentiating factor being that in UK politics there is no far right but the far left are currently in opposition and could credibly take control of the country in the next general election.

theprestige 15th February 2019 12:57 PM

From the same article:
Earlier this week, it emerged that just 12 Labour members had been expelled since last April for abuse linked to or driven by Jew hatred. Hundreds of cases were not progressed to full disciplinary hearings and many dealt with only by a “reminder of conduct”.
Reminder of conduct: Please keep in mind that our current electoral strategy requires *not* being openly anti-semitic. Please keep these opinions safely within our internal discussions."

Graham2001 15th February 2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12602278)
From the same article:
Earlier this week, it emerged that just 12 Labour members had been expelled since last April for abuse linked to or driven by Jew hatred. Hundreds of cases were not progressed to full disciplinary hearings and many dealt with only by a “reminder of conduct”.
Reminder of conduct: Please keep in mind that our current electoral strategy requires *not* being openly anti-semitic. Please keep these opinions safely within our internal discussions."


I'd say it's more along these lines. Reminder of conduct: Remember to put the word 'Israeli' in front of the word 'Jew' at all times, then no matter what you say it's a legitimate statement in support of the Palestinian people.

baron 18th February 2019 04:10 AM

And now the Labour party is breaking up. Looks like it could be finished in its traditional form.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...statement.html

Worm 18th February 2019 04:13 AM

It's very early days. 7 out of 248 have quit. It may start something, but the party is by no means finished as yet.

Graham2001 19th February 2019 05:54 PM

And of course it's all the Jews fault...


https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47296591

Darat 23rd February 2019 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham2001 (Post 12607028)
And of course it's all the Jews fault...


https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47296591

Of course it is. You have to be very afraid of these Jewish people, they control all the world's finances, all the leaders, all the media, and they don't even work 7 days a week!

dudalb 27th February 2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham2001 (Post 12607028)
And of course it's all the Jews fault...


https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47296591

When in doubt, blame the Jews.

p0lka 27th February 2019 03:24 PM

I see nothing wrong with criticising the state of israel in itself, just like any country can be criticised.

Blaming jewish people for stuff that jewish people did on the other hand is the same as being racist, which is wrong.

Why does antisemitism get it's own category? why isn't it all just classed as the same thing, ie racist.

We need to come up with another word that categorises any form of discrimination as wrong, no special cases... it's all wrong.

Brainster 27th February 2019 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p0lka (Post 12616607)
I see nothing wrong with criticising the state of israel in itself, just like any country can be criticised.

The real question is whether the people criticizing Israel spend a similar portion of their time criticizing some of the other states in the area. If they don't (and for the most part they don't even pretend to try) then you've gotta ask why the differential treatment.

dudalb 27th February 2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainster (Post 12616651)
The real question is whether the people criticizing Israel spend a similar portion of their time criticizing some of the other states in the area. If they don't (and for the most part they don't even pretend to try) then you've gotta ask why the differential treatment.

I have slammed Israel for it's stupid settlement policy, and think Bibi has been a disaster for them, and hate the stranglehold the hard line Orthodox Jews have on religious policy (they don't accept marriage by Reform or Conservative Jews as being valid, and there is no Civil Marriage in Isreal ) but I have even worse things to say about Assad in Syria and the Royal Murdered in Charge in Saudi Arabia, and the ISIS waanbes known as HAMAS.

Ziggurat 28th February 2019 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 12611512)
Of course it is. You have to be very afraid of these Jewish people, they control all the world's finances, all the leaders, all the media, and they don't even work 7 days a week!

Don't forget the weather.

Ziggurat 28th February 2019 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p0lka (Post 12616607)
Why does antisemitism get it's own category? why isn't it all just classed as the same thing, ie racist.

Because antisemitism has peculiar features not shared by other forms of racism. It's fundamentally conspiratorial, not supremacist. For example, whites in South Africa never believed that blacks were secretly controlling things behind the scenes, manipulating the country into war through their control of the banks.

bruto 28th February 2019 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p0lka (Post 12616607)
I see nothing wrong with criticising the state of israel in itself, just like any country can be criticised.

Blaming jewish people for stuff that jewish people did on the other hand is the same as being racist, which is wrong.

Why does antisemitism get it's own category? why isn't it all just classed as the same thing, ie racist.

We need to come up with another word that categorises any form of discrimination as wrong, no special cases... it's all wrong.

I'd have thought "bigotry" fits pretty well already. Since Jews aren't a race, lumping antisemitism under racism would require some shuffling of definitions even if it's similar.

ThatGuy11200 28th February 2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainster (Post 12616651)
The real question is whether the people criticizing Israel spend a similar portion of their time criticizing some of the other states in the area. If they don't (and for the most part they don't even pretend to try) then you've gotta ask why the differential treatment.

I don't have the data to test it but I imagine the amount of criticism leveled at Israel is proportional to the amount of coverage Israel gets in the news.

theprestige 28th February 2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGuy11200 (Post 12617684)
I don't have the data to test it but I imagine the amount of criticism leveled at Israel is proportional to the amount of coverage Israel gets in the news.

But you repeat yourself.

Archie Gemmill Goal 28th February 2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainster (Post 12616651)
The real question is whether the people criticizing Israel spend a similar portion of their time criticizing some of the other states in the area. If they don't (and for the most part they don't even pretend to try) then you've gotta ask why the differential treatment.

Are you really confused about this? Or just asking stupid questions?

dudalb 28th February 2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal (Post 12617776)
Are you really confused about this? Or just asking stupid questions?

He has a point;people criticize Israel and then let other Mideastern who do much worse things off the hook.

I don't mind legitimate criticism of Israel, it;'s the mindless hatred of the mere idea of Israel existing I have problems with.

Wudang 7th March 2019 07:17 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-investigation

Quote:

Britain’s equality watchdog has said it believes Labour may have “unlawfully discriminated against people”, as it announced the first step of a statutory inquiry into the party’s handling of antisemitism complaints.
By way of context the last time EHRC investigated a political party was the BNP for its "whites only" policy.

Graham2001 7th March 2019 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wudang (Post 12624662)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-investigation


By way of context the last time EHRC investigated a political party was the BNP for its "whites only" policy.


Indeed, but I also see that Labor party members have bought into the 'It Offends! Make it Go Away!" attitude promoted in universities.


Quote:

One member of Labour’s ruling NEC, Huda Elmi, who was elected by party members, called for the EHRC to be replaced, describing it as “a failed experiment”. She added: “We need to abolish it and bring back separate, well-resourced governmental bodies for each equality strand!”

dudalb 7th March 2019 06:52 PM

With the way both Labor and the Tories appear to badly screwed up, the Lib Dems must be cursing the day they made that ill fated coalition with the Tories....

Giz 8th March 2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 12625510)
With the way both Labor and the Tories appear to badly screwed up, the Lib Dems must be cursing the day they made that ill fated coalition with the Tories....

The lib dems are hardly safe from the virus of anti-Semitism. Consider just one of their more prominent MPs in the early 2000s, Jenny Tonge:

[on the Gaza strip] "a situation like the Warsaw ghetto."

[of Palestinian suicide bombers] "If I had to live in that situation – and I say that advisedly – I might just consider becoming one myself".

"The pro-Israeli lobby has got its grips on the western world, its financial grips. I think they've probably got a grip on our party"

Following Jeremy Corbyn's election as Leader of the Labour Party, Tonge said that she was considering joining Labour, having not seen the party as left-wing enough until then. Tonge expressed support for Corbyn and the former Labour MP Tony Benn: "I marched alongside Tony Benn and Jeremy Corbyn, one on either side. I went to Gaza with Jeremy Corbyn and we met Hamas leaders together".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenny_...mentary_career


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-20, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.